Sky Bet losses

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Sky Bet losses

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Accrington chairman Andy Holt has tweeted out their most recent statement from the EFL digital scheme (link below) which among other things confirms that when you sign up to Sky Bet through an EFL club's affiliate scheme that club gets a cut of your losses.

Does anyone know if Burnley are profiting from this? My inclination is no - last time we were in this league the club's social media pushed betting ads for Sky Bet and this time I don't think it has been advertised even once. Which is obviously a good thing regardless, but also seems like a good sign to me.

It would be nice to know where the club stands on this because it seems incredibly wrong to me that anyone is doing this without disclosing it.

(It's not totally clear whether Accrington have opted out of this or just haven't made any money from it in the period quoted but it does seem in keeping with what I know of Andy Holt that he would opt out of something predatory like this)

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/15 ... 6443834368

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Re: Sky Bet losses

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:45 pm

There are full length Sky Bet TV ads played out at half time at every match on the Turf, in front of everyone, including children. I for one don’t think it’s appropriate.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:46 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:45 pm
There are full length Sky Bet TV ads played out at half time at every match, in front of everyone, including children. I for one don’t think it’s appropriate.
I suspect that the ads themselves are a non-negotiable part of being in the league (though I do agree they shouldn't be on). However, if Burnley are profiting from the losses of people betting after seeing those odds I feel like we'd need to know.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:48 pm

I agree!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:49 pm

By buying tickets in a betting company sponsored competition aren't you endorsing something you are against ?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:32 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
There are full length Sky Bet TV ads played out at half time at every match, in front of everyone, including children. I for one don’t think it’s appropriate.

Might be an issue if adds weren't on every TV channel children watch
Not once has my 11 Yr grandson shown any interest in betting as a result
This user liked this post: HandforthClaret

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:42 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Wont change anytime.soon either

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:32 pm
Good to hear. Lucky lad. Best wishes.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 pm

4midable wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:42 pm
Wont change anytime.soon either
I think reform is closer than many think.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:54 pm

It's wrong to try to control other people's choices because of disagreement, let.people bet & let people lose it's the only way a lesson can be learnt the same applies to any addiction.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:04 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:54 pm
It's wrong to try to control other people's choices because of disagreement, let.people bet & let people lose it's the only way a lesson can be learnt the same applies to any addiction.

I don’t share your opinion, Jakub, but cheers for your thoughts. It’s not how I want society to be.

You wouldn’t find a man at a bar, barely able to stand in his feet, being offered another three free double shots, if if he buys one last pint, would you?

That’s what gambling companies are doing. It’s the over-endorsement and strategic targeting of the vulnerable (I know four people who work in the gambling industry…three of which have said this very much happens and two of whom have gone on to find a different career as a result) that I despise.

I have no issues with bookies minding their own business and punters going in to make a bet, without being dragged in….that’s the choice you refer to.

Targeting people with offers, free bits, free spins, whatever…it’s not for me and I don’t think Jeff Stelling should be telling us about it during the half time interval.

Best wishes 👍🏻
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:12 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:04 pm
I don’t share your opinion, Jakub, but cheers for your thoughts. It’s not how I want society to be.

You wouldn’t find a man at a bar, barely able to stand in his feet, being offered another three free double shots, if if he buys one last pint, would you?

That’s what gambling companies are doing. It’s the over-endorsement and strategic targeting of the vulnerable (I know four people who work in the gambling industry…three of which have said this very much happens and two of whom have gone on to find a different career as a result) that I despise.

I have no issues with bookies minding their own business and punters going in to make a bet, without being dragged in….that’s the choice you refer to.

Targeting people with offers, free bits, free spins, whatever…it’s not for me and I don’t think Jeff Stelling should be telling us about it during the half time interval.

Best wishes 👍🏻
It's a strategy which will never work you are literally p1ssing against the wind trying to action or force change however admirable the motives, it's better to accept things & deal with it after, let people learn from their own mistakes you only become wiser after making that mistake than you will ever do not making that mistake. People need to live & learn than not live because the learning will never be there.
Best wishes &:good evening.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:18 pm

Im just grateful that my entire betting history saw me lose only about 250 quid (net) across about two decades.

You could argue that the experience taught me something, but thankfully I recognised that restraint was needed at a certain point, then abstinence.

Same to you 👍🏻

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Cooclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:24 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:12 pm
It's a strategy which will never work you are literally p1ssing against the wind trying to action or force change however admirable the motives, it's better to accept things & deal with it after, let people learn from their own mistakes you only become wiser after making that mistake than you will ever do not making that mistake. People need to live & learn than not live because the learning will never be there.
Best wishes &:good evening.
You talk some bobbins lad

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:32 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 pm
I think reform is closer than many think.
Probably got further away under this clown government. Not good for the gambling industry, or those who want reform. Will cause responsible companies to be unprotected from underground black market betting companies, which won’t be good for those who want tighter gambling controls either.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:35 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:32 pm
Probably got further away under this clown government. Not good for the gambling industry, or those who want reform. Will cause responsible companies to be unprotected from underground black market betting companies, which won’t be good for those who want tighter gambling controls either.
Interesting to know that, Dan. Cheers

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:36 pm

jdrobbo wrote:

Best wishes 👍🏻
It isn’t what gambling companies are doing. It may be your perception, however the seriousness with which regulated companies take safer gambling controls, and continue to invest in it is at odds with that perception.

You hate betting, I love betting, we won’t ever agree on this. I do welcome reasoned debate however.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:37 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:35 pm
Interesting to know that, Dan. Cheers
Some rumours in some parts of the press that Truss will abandon the gambling act review.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:38 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:32 pm
I would hazard a guess that every single gambling addict in history started after the age of 11

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:40 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:37 pm
Some rumours in some parts of the press that Truss will abandon the gambling act review.
Would be disappointed with this, but not surprised!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:36 pm
It isn’t what gambling companies are doing. It may be your perception, however the seriousness with which regulated companies take safer gambling controls, and continue to invest in it is at odds with that perception.

You hate betting, I love betting, we won’t ever agree on this. I do welcome reasoned debate however.
Exactly this! Enjoy your evening! Any more bear and Salmon pics due?

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:38 pm
I would hazard a guess that every single gambling addict in history started after the age of 11
I would hazard a guess not. Small numbers, but unacceptable in the main. Also depends what you class as gambling. Some would include things like buying fifa cards, loot boxes in games, Pokémon cards etc. in my view, none of those are offered by gambling companies.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 pm
Exactly this! Enjoy your evening! Any more bear and Salmon pics due?
Maybe a couple…. But…. Off to Antarctica on Thursday, so may wait until after penguins and icebergs have been shared when I get back.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:50 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 pm
Maybe a couple…. But…. Off to Antarctica on Thursday, so may wait until after penguins and icebergs have been shared when I get back.
Oh that’s amazing. However, that is a proper noun I’m not friends with…was at a pub quiz last week and in a geography round was asked what the largest desert on Earth was. I went for Antarctica (which it clearly is) but the quiz guy said Sahara. Rainmanmanman was fuming…still is.

Have a great trip

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:24 pm
You talk some bobbins lad
I guess it could be watch this space, jdrobbo personal crusade might pay off but pitted against the millions/billions involved in the industry I won't be holding my breath anytime soon you never know stranger things have happened I guess!

Penwortham_Claret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Penwortham_Claret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:54 pm

jdrobbo wrote:

Best wishes 👍🏻
Give it a rest, your constant banging of the anti gambling drum is getting somewhat tedious, it’s every thread. Live and let live!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm

Penwortham_Claret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:54 pm
Give it a rest, your constant banging of the anti gambling drum is getting somewhat tedious, it’s every thread. Live and let live!
Hi Penwortham. Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but no, I’ll comment where I see fit, just as you are entitled to. I won’t call you tedious for having the opposing view: pity you had to go down that route.

Every thread? Short of referencing my happiness at the club going for classic football shirts as their sponsor this season, could you point out, what shall we say, another five or six threads from the last week, two weeks, month… that I have contributed my tedium around gambling endorsements on???

May I ask why you think it’s appropriate to completely make things up (“it’s every thread”) to try and add weight to your argument?

I get it, you don’t like me standing up for something that I believe is morally wrong…but come on, that’s just not classy.

Best wishes

John
These 2 users liked this post: SMClaret longsidepies

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:09 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 pm
I guess it could be watch this space, jdrobbo personal crusade might pay off but pitted against the millions/billions involved in the industry I won't be holding my breath anytime soon you never know stranger things have happened I guess!

😂😂😂

jdrobbo and the bet crusade!

Where’s Harrison Ford when you need him? 😊

helmclaret
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by helmclaret » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:14 pm

'Responsible gambling firms...'

No such thing. It's like the 'drink responsibly' messages on alcoholic drinks.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:32 pm

more detail on that Andy Holt revelation here - it is historic and has been discontinued for newbies but will run until the end of next season for quite a few clubs

Revealed: Football League clubs taking cut of gamblers’ losses with SkyBet
Document shows 72 ‘affiliates’ were entitled to ‘share of losses’
Premier League clubs urged to reveal if they have similar deals

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ith-skybet