Foodbank collection on matchdays - opinions wanted

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Foodbank collection on matchdays - opinions wanted

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve manned the bins with West Yorkshire Clarets on a number of occasions. Pre-pandemic, the Foodbank collections had had a good period to take off and bins (eight of them) were being returned to the FanZone, substantially filled.

Since ‘Operation Restart’ I don’t feel as though the collections have returned to their previous levels. In fact, nowhere near.

So, if I may, could I ask for your thoughts? I’m not asking you to tell me if you contribute, but to perhaps consider where it could be improved.

For reference, eight bins are used in four locations around the ground, from 1:30 to 2:45 on daytime fixtures. For night games, just the FanZone is used.

A few bit of feedback I’ve received have been on the lines of… “I go to the pub before the game and don’t want to carry a bag of pasta or a load of tins around with me…” I acknowledged this and asked if there was a reason why this person couldn’t carry a tube of toothpaste or something of considerably smaller size, in his pocket. He felt this was a good idea and hadn’t considered toiletries.

Most people say they WANT to contribute but forget.

Some people say that communication could be better: I wholeheartedly agree. This website advertises the initiative FAR more than the club itself. I feel that the club could do a great deal more to help out here.

Many people walk past the bins and ask what we’re doing and note that they’ve never heard of the Foodbank.

Frequently, people throw their rubbish in the bins!

If you have any thoughts, please do share. I’m really proud to do my bit but can’t help but feel, in times like these, that an awful lot more could be done.

If every fan brought one tin, we’d need about SIXTY BINS….we barely fill four or five at present. You could argue that there’s a need for many people to look after themselves first and foremost, which of course is true.

Thank you everyone.

John
(On behalf of West Yorkshire Clarets)

Ps. If you do ever contribute, thank you!
These 3 users liked this post: Jakubclaret Leisure tybfc

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Re: Foodbank collection on matchdays - opinions wanted

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:04 pm

How about big banners or signs above your bins? advertising is everything.

Maybe get players involved in spreading the word? Tell kids they can get a picture with a player if they bring a tin for the bin?

There's far too many charities/sports clubs/go fund me/food banks wanting your pound at the minute though.
I will come accross around 50 a week.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:34 pm

Advertise on all social media platforms from early in the week.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:36 pm

Could you print a big QR code on the bins with a link to donate for those who forgot or didn’t want to bring food with them?
These 3 users liked this post: jdrobbo Zlatan Claret Till I Die

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:44 pm

As has been said, if it wasn’t for this site, I wouldn’t know about the collection at all.

People think it’s just for food but do forget about the toiletries that are also needed.

Unfortunately, as quicken point out, such is the current client there are many others now doing the collections, including supermarkets, which some people may find easier to “buy & drop off” rather than carry to the game

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:15 am

Bump

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:36 pm

Just to point out for those who live near or drive past Turf, it is on the digital screen on the corner of Belvedere Rd/Yorkshire St/Harry Potts Way.

Social media is an obvious tool with a supportive player, like Josh Brownhill who has previously supported local businesses, maybe fronting the initiative
This user liked this post: JarrowClaret

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:15 pm

Cheers, Loyal 👍🏻

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:31 pm

Reminders by the Club on social media on the morning of home games would be helpful.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:01 am

It's a little difficult for those that go to the pub or In town etc pre match, you don't exactly want to be carrying a tin or 2 around with you.

I'm fortunate as there's always a bin out where I live that you can pop stuff in, or failing that when you've done a shop pop a bag in with the actual food bank in town.

Can the club not leave a bin in the ticket office so those who maybe go for tickets during the week can contribute, or for those that get to the ground earlier than the bins come out so they aren't carrying tins around

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:15 am

Thank you

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am

I know it's not really what you're looking for, but if there was a way I could donate on match day in terms of money I'd do it as walking past the bins. It's only when I see the bins that I'm reminded of the collection. I know you can donate online but if there was a way of dropping off a few quid as I walk past I'd be more than happy. I'd much rather drop a few quid off as well as then it can be spent where required.

I'd be more than happy to drop a few cans / tins etc off but the issue is I never remember when I'm walking out the door at home.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:32 am

Like people have said on here, the advertising of it could be better. I gave some stuff early on but have to be honest I forget about it completely now, and only remember when you actually see it hear something about it again. So as intimated already, my thoughts would be better Comms via the club, and better signage at the ground (including better info of items you can bring). If you could get better Comms, it might also be more prominent to have two 'main areas', one at each side of the ground

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:47 pm

I still find it hard to get my head around that people have very little to live on and have to depend on food hand outs .

Just sad in a first world country and the States is worse .

Burnleybabe
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by Burnleybabe » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:51 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am
I know it's not really what you're looking for, but if there was a way I could donate on match day in terms of money I'd do it as walking past the bins. It's only when I see the bins that I'm reminded of the collection. I know you can donate online but if there was a way of dropping off a few quid as I walk past I'd be more than happy. I'd much rather drop a few quid off as well as then it can be spent where required.

I'd be more than happy to drop a few cans / tins etc off but the issue is I never remember when I'm walking out the door at home.
A lot of people do donate money into the bins, so you could do this.
maybe a cash bucket would be an advantage

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:52 pm

It's really simple to setup something with tapforchange or collectin, where people simply tap their phone/card to donate.

Set it at a low price point (£1/£2/£3), and make it obvious, and it'll pay for itself in no time.

I, for one, always forget to bring something, and would happily tap as I walk past.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1303 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 pm

John - The bins have been a great success during and since the pandemic began as I'm sure that those who have benefitted from them will agree.

Closer to where I live there are around ten foodbanks in a three mile radius serving a dense population of many struggling families.

Each foodbank does it's own thing in it's attempt to attract donations.

However in the past few months, as the economic crisis has deepened, the donations have considerably dried up as those who gave previously can no longer afford to do so. The foodbanks are now reaching crisis points themselves and are borrowing food from each other at times to subsidise their own stocks.

The same thing will undoubtedly be the case with the bins at the Turf.

The fans attending the matches will usually carry a little bit of change rather than a can of beans and the facility to donate cash surely has to be the way forward. The foodbanks can utilise cash in a much more productive way than accepting food that very often is out of date or the packaging is broken and cannot be used.

I am dealing with this day in day out and the foodbanks everywhere are desperate and overrun so every little of anything helps.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:53 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am

Buzz, thank you for your response. It’s something we’ll look in to. Appreciate it

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:56 pm

tybfc wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 pm
John - The bins have been a great success during and since the pandemic began as I'm sure that those who have benefitted from them will agree.

Closer to where I live there are around ten foodbanks in a three mile radius serving a dense population of many struggling families.

Each foodbank does it's own thing in it's attempt to attract donations.

However in the past few months, as the economic crisis has deepened, the donations have considerably dried up as those who gave previously can no longer afford to do so. The foodbanks are now reaching crisis points themselves and are borrowing food from each other at times to subsidise their own stocks.

The same thing will undoubtedly be the case with the bins at the Turf.

The fans attending the matches will usually carry a little bit of change rather than a can of beans and the facility to donate cash surely has to be the way forward. The foodbanks can utilise cash in a much more productive way than accepting food that very often is out of date or the packaging is broken and cannot be used.

I am dealing with this day in day out and the foodbanks everywhere are desperate and overrun so every little of anything helps.
Hi mate, appreciate this. Thank you

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:21 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:53 pm
Buzz, thank you for your response. It’s something we’ll look in to. Appreciate it
The time before last, I forgot my tin, however, a note was just as acceptable, so we should not give up.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:29 pm

Foodbank team in operation THIS coming Saturday (1:30 to 2:40pm)

Please do contribute, if you are able to. Thank you

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:35 pm

Are people able to contribute cash if they prefer?