Ashley Barnes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: Ashley Barnes

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:56 pm

JimmyRobbo wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 pm
I'm not trying to claim otherwise.

I'm suggesting that demanding he never gets near the team again and is shelved is over dramatic nonsense. He has a role to play. He's not the player he was but we don't need to whip up childish furore when things are going fairly well. We're 4th and have lost the fewest number of matches in the league. Let VK get on with what he is doing.
He really shouldn’t be near the team now. Surely even the youth team must have someone who isn’t any worse. We might be short on striker opportunities, we all know that, but continuing to use a player who seems to contribute nothing and can at times be a liability just smacks of desperation.
Has he been good for us…absolutely.
Is he now…absolutely not.
Trading on past glories doesn’t work. If it did someone would still be playing Pele.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:03 pm

Let's be honest, if he hadn't triggered his extension to his contract, he wouldn't be at the club now.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4160 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:48 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:19 pm
Dont think we can blame Barnes, but why does VK persevere with him. Whats happened to Dervisoglu-he is a striker who is 22 and already scored 62 goals in the top flight including 6 for his country. We are paying Brentford £1m for currently NOT even being in the squad

Who has he scored 62 top flight goals for ? Do you want him in the squad if he is unfit ?

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 am

I don't think Barnes is above criticism as a player, but clearly VK still sees some value in playing him - and I trust VK is making decisions to play certain players based on his best knowledge and beliefs.

Sadly, this also gives opportunity to those who love to pinpoint a scapegoat after every game we don't win. If it's not Barnes it's Muric. If not Muric then it's Roberts. If it's not Roberts then it's Weghorst. etc. etc. All very predictable. I would suggest in this case criticism is better aimed at the manager than the player, who is only doing his job. If he refused to train or come off the bench when called upon, there'd be even more criticism thrown his way.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1089 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:20 am

The manager must think he offers something or he’s hoping he will. I can’t see what he offers at all now. It’s a waste of a substitution and would prefer we bring Costelloe on if we are just hoping he’ll rediscover some form or become the player of old. I’d prefer we played someone out of position up front.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:30 am

MancunianClaret wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 am
I don't think Barnes is above criticism as a player, but clearly VK still sees some value in playing him - and I trust VK is making decisions to play certain players based on his best knowledge and beliefs.

Sadly, this also gives opportunity to those who love to pinpoint a scapegoat after every game we don't win. If it's not Barnes it's Muric. If not Muric then it's Roberts. If it's not Roberts then it's Weghorst. etc. etc. All very predictable. I would suggest in this case criticism is better aimed at the manager than the player, who is only doing his job. If he refused to train or come off the bench when called upon, there'd be even more criticism thrown his way.
I for one don’t create or look for scapegoats. I’m actually really happy with things. What I’m saying about Barnes I’ve been saying for two years. Let’s put it simply: he is past it and has little or nothing to offer. He really should go now while he still has some respect, before he becomes a joke.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:31 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:20 am
The manager must think he offers something or he’s hoping he will. I can’t see what he offers at all now. It’s a waste of a substitution and would prefer we bring Costelloe on if we are just hoping he’ll rediscover some form or become the player of old. I’d prefer we played someone out of position up front.
Just this. Agreed.

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am

houseboy wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:30 am
I for one don’t create or look for scapegoats. I’m actually really happy with things. What I’m saying about Barnes I’ve been saying for two years. Let’s put it simply: he is past it and has little or nothing to offer. He really should go now while he still has some respect, before he becomes a joke.
Of course, and you're completely entitled to that opinion. The manager clearly does not agree with you though, and obviously believes he does has something to offer.

I don't agree with you that being selected for play by the manager, and getting up to play, loses you any respect or makes you a joke.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:18 am

I am a huge fan of Super Ashley Barnes
I think he just needs a goal and I feel he will then score a load more.
Against Bristol City he was not on the bench so he may be dropped once Twine is fit again.
Let’s see

UTC

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:28 am

Love Ashley Barnes - good squad member but not quick enough to play alongside the not that quick Jay Rod

Mathematically speaking:

Not quick enough + notthatquick = not good....!

It should be:

sh*toffashovel + notthatquick = not bad...!

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:49 am

jen1066 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:17 pm
Which is something every fan should know before they post on here to be fair. It's not top secret.
He's not injured btw, Kompany said it wasn't because of injury. Down the pecking order it seems