Worst keeper since Kiraly

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: Worst keeper since Kiraly

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:49 pm

I know what the issue is here. We have spent years watching defensive football and been blessed with great keepers and two great central defenders. But the fact remains that in relation to most teams in this league our defence is okay. Look at the FACTS. We need to get used to conceding more goals than we used to because we play a different game now. 11 games and only conceded more than one in one game.
People need to stop looking for reasons to complain and get on board. This is better than cowering under the cosh in the PL.
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill RVclaret Buxtonclaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 pm

Young keeper, gonna make mistakes and difficult following in the footsteps of Pope, doesn't have anywhere near the same protection as Pope either. Every time he's left his line out of the box, he's won the ball, so stopped a 1v1. A slip at PNE was unfortunate. Great with the ball at his feet. When he comes for the ball, he's good, he does hesitate a little though. I'm sure he'll improve and learn at that. Zero problems saving shots imo.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:52 am

He's poor at set-pieces, doesn't dominate his area, slow to get down to his right, gifted Blackpool their 1st goal, fell over his own feet on his goal-line for another .... but apart from that, excellent !
This user liked this post: Prefeot

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:58 am

Having watched Joe Neenan and still capable of waking up in a cold sweat at the memory, can we please get off this lads back and will the mods please close this thread

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:01 am

Petersa wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:58 am
Having watched Joe Neenan and still capable of waking up in a cold sweat at the memory, can we please get off this lads back and will the mods please close this thread
Hahaha, for what?

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:49 am

Murger wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:01 am
Hahaha, for what?
Admittedly only seen him on TV but he seems ok to me, lets not try and destroy his confidence with threads like this......although I would be amazed if any player anywhere reads fan messageboards

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 am

I think he’s fantastic and only going to get better. 2.5m for a 23 year old keeper who is so good with his distribution could look an absolute bargain in a year or two. Of course there are areas to work on but he has already developed so much from the keeper that came on loan to Forest 3/4 seasons ago aged 19. That gives me real encouragement. I think, as others have said, we’ve gone from one of the best shot stoppers / ball claimers in the PL in Nick Pope and now we are in the Championship. It’s a tough comparison for Muric but I think everyone should remember, Pope was on loan at York at the same age and was terrible.

All keepers make mistakes, Alisson should have done better for one or Trossard’s goals for Brighton at the weekend! Yet he’s regarded as the best in the world?

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 285 times
Has Liked: 423 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 am

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 am
Pope was on loan at York at the same age and was terrible.
Pope kept 16 clean sheets in 24 games for York, perhaps you only watched the 8 games where he conceded.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:32 am

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 am
Pope kept 16 clean sheets in 24 games for York, perhaps you only watched the 8 games where he conceded.
He was on loan at York for a reason, because he was deemed nowhere near good enough for a higher level at that time.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:38 am

Just to add a few ‘stats’ to the mix

Muric currently has the 4th best shot save % in the league and 3rd highest when it comes to ‘prevented goals’ (going off xG)

All in this article by the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3618356/2022/09 ... net-muric/

These stats may come as a surprise to some on the player ratings thread who claimed he would have the worst shots / goals ratio in the league.

Hapag Lloyd

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:41 am

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:32 am
He was on loan at York for a reason, because he was deemed nowhere near good enough for a higher level at that time.
So was he terrible for York ?

Muric shouldn’t be named in the same breath as Pope, if you want to compare him to former keepers you need to look more closely at the likes of Kendall, Hansbury, Neenan, O’rourke.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:50 am

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:41 am
So was he terrible for York ?

Muric shouldn’t be named in the same breath as Pope, if you want to compare him to former keepers you need to look more closely at the likes of Kendall, Hansbury, Neenan, O’rourke.
Never heard of any of them which probably is the also the discrete answer as to why you don’t like Muric.

Hapag Lloyd

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:57 am

I don’t dislike Muric, I just don’t think he’s a very good gk at the moment.
Maybe he would benefit from a loan spell at York.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 am

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:57 am
I don’t dislike Muric, I just don’t think he’s a very good gk at the moment.
Maybe he would benefit from a loan spell at York.
Yeah don’t like / don’t think he’s a good keeper same thing.

He went on loan last season to the Turkish Prem and was named the keeper of the year.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:04 am

There are some really dumb comments on this thread aimed at Muric
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret tiger76

Hapag Lloyd

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:17 am

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:01 am
Yeah don’t like / don’t think he’s a good keeper same thing.

He went on loan last season to the Turkish Prem and was named the keeper of the year.
You think he’s been fantastic, from what I’ve seen of him playing for Burnley so far I don’t rate him.
Let’s just leave it there, neither of us is going to change the others opinion and that’s all they are …. opinions.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:08 am

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:17 am
You think he’s been fantastic, from what I’ve seen of him playing for Burnley so far I don’t rate him.
Let’s just leave it there, neither of us is going to change the others opinion and that’s all they are …. opinions.
Yeah, I’ve backed mine up with some pretty sound stats though, that’s the difference. I haven’t even brought up his distribution stats which would be the best in the league. Like I’ve said, lots of room for improvement but that’s what I’d expect with a 23 year old keeper in his first full season in England.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:12 am

houseboy wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:27 pm
Pointed out recently in another thread that it is irrelevant at this time. Watford were top when we played them. Hull were up there. Table is too fluid at this point to make anything of who is where. You’re just looking for reasons to criticise that don’t exist.
We played Watford and Hull after 3 or 4 games when there clearly was no indication of the strength of a team and the league was in flux. Given your main point that point seems irrelevant.

Whereas after a quarter of the season you would presume to have some idea of the stronger teams in the league and we've only played 3 in the top twelve.

It would have to be some kind of seismic shift if the bottom twelve, after a quarter of the season, suddenly became the top twelve after half a season.

I'm struggling with the logic here.

Oh and I really like Muric albeit I can see why some don't....

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by burnley007 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:43 pm

You can see the potential in the young man, I am more than happy to watch him develop in a Claret shirt.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:56 pm

Literally kept us in the game at WBA with some great saves, the form he was in that day, I'm convinced we'd have won if he stayed on the pitch.
This user liked this post: LTUK89

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:56 pm

What he does do, is play football in part of the possession tactics that the whole team use - something that not many keepers we have ever had can do.
Young keeper, playing with a young team, with new players and a new system... but sure you have a pop at the fact he doesn't seem to be as good at the basics that keepers in our previous systems played.

1882Clarets1882
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 1882Clarets1882 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:09 pm

We've been spoiled recently . Our current stopper is not a poor keeper. He's just not as good as our 2 previous.

colnbev
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by colnbev » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Right guys time to put this one to bed.
My initial post was to highlight the FACT that we have been blessed recently with some exceptional goalkeeping talent, and that as a ball playing, almost extra outfield player, which fits into the new VK mould, as many have pointed out, Muric is, and we have, possibly the best, outside of the Premier League.
My concerns are that his current BASIC GOALKEEPING skills just don't cut it above average (at the moment) to put it mildly. which relegates him in my humble non professional footballing playing opinion as our worst keeper since Kiraly.
When its backs to the wall and we are trying to grind out a valuable win (especially away from home when the onus and pressure is on the home side to get something for their fans) he doesn't fill me with confidence we will get the job done.
Give him time in the reserves to become more commanding, to use his size and stature to dominate the opposition, improve his positional awareness so that he can confidently come and collect the high ball into the box, and hone his goalkeeping attributes in line with his obvious ball at feet skills, and we will have an absolute gem on our hands, just don't let him learn on the job when there are valuable league points at stake.
If as it seems we (and more importantly VK) are all happy that his "attacking" contributions outweigh his defensive frailties then fine, and perhaps we need to be looking at why our dominance in games isn't being reflected on the scoreboard, and giving him the 2 or 3 goal cushion needed to stop wins becoming draws. Ouch! That may open up a whole new can of worms!

In reply to a previous response that cited me "trolling" due to my inactivity during my time as a member of the forum. I moved across from the old Clarets Mad site when Tony set up this one. i wasn't particularly active then, and have absolutely no interest in "how many spaghetti hoops in a 450g can, or what the next connection on the Adeola Friday posts should be...... i only post when i feel there is a need for me to get something off my chest, such as (in my honest and most humble opinion) our current goalkeeping predicament.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:24 pm

Of course you are entitled to your opinion on Muric, but come on.
Are you seriously telling me that every goalkeeper on this list is better than Muric?
Jensen, Penny, Grant, Cisak, Robinson, Hart, Peacock-Farrell, Norris, Hennessey.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:47 pm

colnbev wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm
My initial post was to highlight the FACT that we have been blessed recently with some exceptional goalkeeping talent, and that as a ball playing, almost extra outfield player, which fits into the new VK mould, as many have pointed out, Muric is, and we have, possibly the best, outside of the Premier League.
My concerns are that his current BASIC GOALKEEPING skills just don't cut it above average (at the moment) to put it mildly. which relegates him in my humble non professional footballing playing opinion as our worst keeper since Kiraly.
When its backs to the wall and we are trying to grind out a valuable win (especially away from home when the onus and pressure is on the home side to get something for their fans) he doesn't fill me with confidence we will get the job done.
Give him time in the reserves to become more commanding, to use his size and stature to dominate the opposition, improve his positional awareness so that he can confidently come and collect the high ball into the box, and hone his goalkeeping attributes in line with his obvious ball at feet skills, and we will have an absolute gem on our hands, just don't let him learn on the job when there are valuable league points at stake.
If as it seems we (and more importantly VK) are all happy that his "attacking" contributions outweigh his defensive frailties then fine, and perhaps we need to be looking at why our dominance in games isn't being reflected on the scoreboard, and giving him the 2 or 3 goal cushion needed to stop wins becoming draws. Ouch! That may open up a whole new can of worms!

In reply to a previous response that cited me "trolling" due to my inactivity during my time as a member of the forum. I moved across from the old Clarets Mad site when Tony set up this one. i wasn't particularly active then, and have absolutely no interest in "how many spaghetti hoops in a 450g can, or what the next connection on the Adeola Friday posts should be...... i only post when i feel there is a need for me to get something off my chest, such as (in my honest and most humble opinion) our current goalkeeping predicament.
So nothing you needed to get off your chest in 6 years till "Wout Weghorst" and our current "goalkeeper" then 😉

Not even the last 12 months in the Premier League and relegation or owt 🤔
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:51 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:24 pm
Of course you are entitled to your opinion on Muric, but come on.
Are you seriously telling me that every goalkeeper on this list is better than Muric?
Jensen, Penny, Grant, Cisak, Robinson, Hart, Peacock-Farrell, Norris, Hennessey.
Joe Hart & Robinson in their earlier years, but I’d have him over all of them in their Burnley years with the way we are set up to play. No question about it

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:51 pm
Joe Hart & Robinson in their earlier years, but I’d have him over all of them in their Burnley years with the way we are set up to play. No question about it
I agree, reputation means nothing. It's what they achieved with BFC that matters.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:32 pm

Can’t remember,Hart,or Robinson covering themselves with glory at The Turf.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:38 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:32 pm
Can’t remember,Hart,or Robinson covering themselves with glory at The Turf.
Hart didn't cover himself in glory the other day.....

https://twitter.com/TeamLH44_07/status/ ... A_osQ&s=19

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Enola Gay » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:46 pm

Worst keeper since Kiraly? Ha.

There'll have been (at least) two significantly worse keepers than Muric at Gawthorpe this week.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:55 pm

colnbev wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm

You must not have watched Burnley much if you think Muric is worse than Diego Penny.
This user liked this post: Leisure

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:33 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:55 pm
You must not have watched Burnley much if you think Muric is worse than Diego Penny.
Agreed - I was just going to ask if we'd had Penny yet? Big disappointment, that one!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:51 am

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:12 am
We played Watford and Hull after 3 or 4 games when there clearly was no indication of the strength of a team and the league was in flux. Given your main point that point seems irrelevant.

Whereas after a quarter of the season you would presume to have some idea of the stronger teams in the league and we've only played 3 in the top twelve.

It would have to be some kind of seismic shift if the bottom twelve, after a quarter of the season, suddenly became the top twelve after half a season.

I'm struggling with the logic here.

Oh and I really like Muric albeit I can see why some don't....
Agreed on Muric and people should get off his back.
Regarding the ‘top six’argument I still think it’s too early to say who that is. Last night for a brief period Luton were top six. QPR are now despite, I think, never having been before. Rovers have been in and out. I wouldn’t mind betting (but I can’t be bothered working it out) that over half the Championship have been top six at one time or another. The real positions don’t start to take shape until upwards of twenty games in my opinion, which could of course be wrong.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:49 am

Maybe it’s the fact that despite one team, we’ve taken points off every team we’ve played this season? Maybe it’s that which is stopping them all being top half so early in the campaign.

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm

We are all Burnley Fans....right?
We should stick together and support each and every player who wears the shirt.
We have all got to back Pace, VK, Bellamy and the staff. They all work very hard for Burnley FC, not least each of the players.
So get off the players backs. I've read some awful critical posts about Muric, Roberts, CT, and Barnes.
Some fans have very short memories.
So when Muric walks to the Cricket Field and Bee Hole ends tonight, shout his name, cheer him on and applaud. Thats what the players want to hear. .
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:20 pm

While I think most of the op's post is tosh, only a claret with tinted specs on wouldn't acknowledge the fact he has appeared weak in his own 6 yard box, specifically with crosses coming in. I appreciate fans saying, he's just had a slip but on replays it shows him false starting on his line frequently.
The sudden rush forwards and then back is the reason he's slipping so frequently. If he cuts that out and either stays put or goes for every one, he'll be the best keeper in the league.
Let's not get forget that Pope was specifically good at dealing with crosses into the box so the next keeper would always have a hard job replicating that.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:02 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm
We are all Burnley Fans....right?
We should stick together and support each and every player who wears the shirt.
We have all got to back Pace, VK, Bellamy and the staff. They all work very hard for Burnley FC, not least each of the players.
So get off the players backs. I've read some awful critical posts about Muric, Roberts, CT, and Barnes.
Some fans have very short memories.
So when Muric walks to the Cricket Field and Bee Hole ends tonight, shout his name, cheer him on and applaud. Thats what the players want to hear. .
☝️ Exactly this ☝️

Stop whining get behind the team lets roar them on to victory
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret It Is What It Is

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:32 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:51 am
Agreed on Muric and people should get off his back.
Regarding the ‘top six’argument I still think it’s too early to say who that is. Last night for a brief period Luton were top six. QPR are now despite, I think, never having been before. Rovers have been in and out. I wouldn’t mind betting (but I can’t be bothered working it out) that over half the Championship have been top six at one time or another. The real positions don’t start to take shape until upwards of twenty games in my opinion, which could of course be wrong.
We'll have top to agree to disagree. We haven't played any of the top 8 and achieved 1 point in 6 of the two teams we have played in the top ten. 6 points in 12 against teams in the top half of the table, which is mid-table form.

Totally agree it's early days, but there is a good argument to suggest that 5th is an over inflated position based on who we have and haven't played so far.

The teams we have beat are 12th, 14th 16th and 23rd.

We might play better against the better teams who knows but we haven't so far because we haven't played them....

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:40 am

Thought he played very well last night

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:47 am

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:32 am
We'll have top to agree to disagree. We haven't played any of the top 8 and achieved 1 point in 6 of the two teams we have played in the top ten. 6 points in 12 against teams in the top half of the table, which is mid-table form.

Totally agree it's early days, but there is a good argument to suggest that 5th is an over inflated position based on who we have and haven't played so far.

We might play better against the better teams who knows but we haven't so far because we haven't played them....

Judging the opposition by league position is daft so early in a season

Watford beat Stoke 4-0 on Sunday then lost to Swansea last night in the last minute (maybe they don't know how to see games out) 2-1

Stoke drew with Swansea

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:06 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:47 am
Judging the opposition by league position is daft so early in a season

Watford beat Stoke 4-0 on Sunday then lost to Swansea last night in the last minute (maybe they don't know how to see games out) 2-1

Stoke drew with Swansea
Watford are 10th and Stoke 20th while Swansea are 6th...! And Swansea got a point away to Stoke at the end of August.

If you are going to trawl through for some exceptions I'm sure you could do better than that....! I know I could

Everyone has their own opinions but I think if you haven't played any of the top 8 after 12 games you can make the argument with some justification that we haven't played the better sides.

Otherwise, it's a boring forum where everyone has to agree with Claretonthecoast or he calls you "daft" or worse...!

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:07 am

Bless

Loyal Supporter
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Loyal Supporter » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:46 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:07 am
Bless
I thought he made a poor effort for the Cardiff and Stoke equalisers.
Very limited movement going to his right. Needs to work on his agility.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:24 am

I have watched last night's goal several times. I am convinced Heaton or Pope would have saved it. As would, as a matter of interest, Alan Stevenson in his prime.

colnbev
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by colnbev » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:25 pm

Once again not helped by some poor defending on the build up to the equaliser. And probably more importantly for both him and the defence another game where we should really have been 3 or 4 up anyway. If we win 4-1 everyone is happy.
Unfortunately without that cushion, last night's half hearted attempt to secure the win, by flailing an unstreched right arm at a decent header (nothing more than that) from around the penalty spot, highlighted his apparent mobility/agility/reaction/concentration/commitment (please delete where applicable) issues.
Currently too many negatives about this guy to make even the most forgiving Claret confident that when the chips are down we can rely on him to save the day.

And yes I do remember Diego Penny. I also seem to recall he was second choice behind Jenson and only made a handful of first team starts (for obvious reasons.) Norris, again third choice. My comparison is Muric against our other first choice keepers over the last 15 years or so.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm

I thought Penny started the season as first choice when we got thumped by Sheff Wed, was Jensen injured?

I thought he commanded his box well last night, made some very good saves. I think you're being unfair with the goal, that wasn't just a ''decent'' header, got some real pace on it.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:50 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:32 am

Statistics, statistics, damn lies and statistics eh ?!!

We have played and done well against teams in the top 8 - they may not be in the top 8 now but they were when we played them !! For example, Hull were top and we played them off the park. Bristol City were in the top 6 and so were Watford.

Point is though it’s just too early in the season in my opinion to make these kind of judgements. Forest proved last year you can climb the league very quickly if you put a good run together.

I don’t think the league is of great quality and it’s certainly far poorer in quality than the last time we were in the division. I think at least half the division have the potential to make the top 6 and based on the start of the season we are definitely one of those. Is there any other team so far that have spent as long as we have in the top 6 ?
These 2 users liked this post: Raconteur Bosscat

LTUK89
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by LTUK89 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:55 pm

Muric’s positioning and movement in the seconds before Stoke’s goal show that he has a way to go if he’s to become a decent keeper.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:59 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm
I thought Penny started the season as first choice when we got thumped by Sheff Wed, was Jensen injured?

I thought he commanded his box well last night, made some very good saves. I think you're being unfair with the goal, that wasn't just a ''decent'' header, got some real pace on it.
I thought he made some great saves but I do think he should have done better with there goal.

His positioning was pretty poor. It wasn’t in the side netting it was just a fairly strong header to the left of centre

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:20 pm

Watching it back, I can see the argument that a really top keeper is a little more agile on his feet and gets across quicker for the goal.

But - spoiler- we're in the Championship now. The point of comparison is not a top keeper, it's a good Championship keeper. I think Muric is that now and rightly aspires to be a top Premier League keeper. That he's got room to improve if he's to get there is news to noone. Doesn't make him a bad keeper or the goal last night a mistake, though.

Otherwise he had an excellent game.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Jellybean