Proven managers discussion last season.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Proven managers discussion last season.

Post by clarethomer » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:30 pm

When we were searching for a new manager last season, there was a number of conversations discussing the merits of attracting a new manager who had proven capability to get us straight back up over a younger, inexperienced manager.

Looking at the news today and seeing Wilder potted and realising Bruce in 21st, it reminded me of this and Wilder, if I remember correctly, was very closely linked where he appeared to avoid the question when asked about our vacancy at a press conference.

Clearly its early doors but seeing the likes of Bruce struggle with a decent West Brom side, I can only think that Im glad that we tried a different approach.

Still a long season ahead but I can't help but feel we have not lost out by choosing someone that is right for our club at this time and the project over someone who gets jobs on merit of once being successful with another team. We are not the finished article and no guarantees of success but it just feels right.

Wonder how long Bruce has got?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Proven managers discussion last season.

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:23 pm

I think we were right to not choose one of the usual managerial merry-go-round suspects.

Bruce has had a very long career, over 1k games as a manager, but he's old school and his methods are probably out of date now.

Wilder - looked very good at the beginning with Sheff Utd, but absolutely imploded towards the end

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:15 pm

My local BBC TV news covers Cumbria and the North-east.

They seemed to be suggesting tonight that being linked with the Burnley job caused Wilder to take his eye off the ball, and he's never recovered.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:54 am

I was just looking up Steve Bruce's career on Wiki. It seems in 1999, while manager of Huddersfield, he wrote a trio of novels: Striker!, Sweeper! and Defender!. The books centred on fictional football manager Steve Barnes, based on Bruce, who solved murder mysteries and thwarted terrorists. Bruce later expressed his embarrassment at the books, which have become sought-after collectables.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:02 am

Given the decision to sack Dyche then it wouldn't have made sense to then appoint a Dyche clone such as Bruce or Wilder, and although they both have a proven track record at this level the game has now moved on, therefore I'm glad we took a bold approach and opted for a young manager in Kpmpany.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:10 am

As soon as Dyche left I felt it was Pace in part wanting to evolve the aesthetic and dynamic of the club. At the time I thought we'd go for Carrick for many of the same reasons we went for Kompany so I wasn't miles off. Never thought we'd go for Wilder or similar.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 am

Hipper wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:54 am
I was just looking up Steve Bruce's career on Wiki. It seems in 1999, while manager of Huddersfield, he wrote a trio of novels: Striker!, Sweeper! and Defender!. The books centred on fictional football manager Steve Barnes, based on Bruce, who solved murder mysteries and thwarted terrorists. Bruce later expressed his embarrassment at the books, which have become sought-after collectables.
There are some excellent read alongs on the “Quickly Kevin, will he score” podcasts with the comedian Ivo Graham. Well worth a listen.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:21 am

It's early days yet, and we have 8 or 9 players who were in the PL last season or in PL squads albeit 1 or 2 are in their 30s.

In Cork, Brownhill, JBG and Cullen we have a PL midfield - we still have Westwood to come back and we also have 3 excellent young loanees who are PL standard THB, Maatsen and Tella.

The quality of the football is a bit of a surprise but perhaps it shouldn't have been. The above in addition to Taylor and Jay Rod look as good as anything in this division.

I think on reflection we lost sight of how good some of are players really are ...