How are the new guys doing so far

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

How are the new guys doing so far

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:06 pm

12 games in (over a quarter of the season) so quite reasonable to make observations
Muric - Is it me or have we now reduced the number of times we are playing out from the back which has helped Muric. Also he is now being seen to be a good shot stopper - rightly our No 1
TBH - Only a loanee but looks good to me and can see him playing at a higher level
Beyer - Looks confident and would be a good reason to move Taylor to left back
Maatsen - Good going forward but suspect when defending - would rather see playing wide left of midfield as he can certainly get down to the byeline and cross
Cullen - Tidy but like a younger version of Westwood ie makes himself available for the ball but then, in the main, passes sideways and backwards
Benson - A younger version of JBG ie playing wide right but always looks to move inside onto his favoured left boot so quite easy to mark and nullify
Vitinho - Gets into the side on left but not as proactive as Maatsen would be in that role
Churlinov - Hopefully, when fit, will take over the RHS role from Benson and JBG but not had chance to see much of him
Tella - One minute he looks good but the next his ball control is poor - can see why he wouldn't get into Southampton's side
Twine - The unknown factor but, when fit, where will we play him (presume at the expense of either Tella or Brownhill if he shows the potential)
The rest seem to be bench or backup players although I did like the look of Bastien at the start of the season. Maybe we could try him wide right
Kompany - Still not convinced about this formation of three at the back Are we playing 3-4-2-1 or 3-5-1-1
We have the players to start with a solid back 4 so why not try it - maybe then we will not be giving away these stupid late goals
And no matter what system we currently play we have to find another striker in Jan