Dwight

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Dwight

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 7:32 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:24 am
I'm just glad fans haven't gone after Zaroury like they did McNeil.
Another youngster who hasn't been at his best for over half a season.

It's almost like young ones can be inconsistent.
Give them a chance, they need to see the evidence of him being poor with their eyes

He's not scored for a while for starters!

(this being the whole point, you can see what he brings to the team, what he does even when he's not scoring or assisting, and he's still playing very well, but some people will only see assists and goals, and that is the problem)

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 7:39 am

Essentially, it is okay to be wrong about stuff

You don't have to double down on it and look silly

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Tue May 09, 2023 7:40 am

Are you ok Lancaster? You seem upset on this thread.

Dwight can have outstanding games. And has really come through for Everton since he was reunited with Sean.

I think our current team where our eggs are spread amongst several baskets is more consistent than expecting Dwight to do it on his own week in week out.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 am

Dwight seems to have reduced his cba streak
He has done well at Everton and the penny seems to have finally dropped re effort and application.
Anass is at a different level he is a stellar performer who will light up our team next season
This user liked this post: fatboy47

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Tue May 09, 2023 7:54 am

KRBFC wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:56 pm
I liked McNeil, always thought we were over reliant on him but this nonsense bumping a topic after 1 good game is cringe, shows how stupid and fickle football fans are, one great game and you’re an amazing player, one shocker and he’s crap.
He’s been Everton’s best player since Dyche took over, hardly one game. Credit where credit’s due
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue May 09, 2023 8:03 am

McNeil has looked excellent the past couple of games in particular. One thing noticeable to me is his new found desire to make forward runs and get in behind the opposition. If you think he showed the same desire for us last season then you’re not being honest with yourself. Glad he’s finding some good form as he seems like a v decent lad.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue May 09, 2023 8:04 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 am
Dwight seems to have reduced his cba streak
He has done well at Everton and the penny seems to have finally dropped re effort and application.
Anass is at a different level he is a stellar performer who will light up our team next season
No point comparing the two tbh. Completely different types of players. Plus one has played his whole career at the top level one is just breaking through.

For what it’s worth I think Zaroury has got to develop very quickly to make it in the prem next season. He’s very lightweight and often gives the ball away (they are his weaknesses), but I’m hoping he finds that pre Christmas form again as his strengths in that form should make him a good player at that level.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue May 09, 2023 8:05 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:03 am
McNeil has looked excellent the past couple of games in particular. One thing noticeable to me is his new found desire to make forward runs and get in behind the opposition. If you think he showed the same desire for us last season then you’re not being honest with yourself. Glad he’s finding some good form as he seems like a v decent lad.
Tbf Riley I am not sure I have seen Dwight have that space in at least two years. He had so much space on at least 4-5 occasions, 2 of them led to him scoring and one of them led to an assist.

If he’s got space and time his dribbling and final ball is top quality.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue May 09, 2023 8:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:05 am
Tbf Riley I am not sure I have seen Dwight have that space in at least two years. He had so much space on at least 4-5 occasions, 2 of them led to him scoring and one of them led to an assist.

If he’s got space and time his dribbling and final ball is top quality.
Yes his tight control, dribbling and delivery is good and always has been. But last season he never made an effort to get into positions to affect the game offensively. He wanted the ball to feet and inevitably went sideways with it. Contrast this with the difference Cornet made when he burst onto the scene.

His second goal yesterday showed a desire to run harder than the opposition to get in behind and he was duly played in and finished very neatly. Maybe this is a confidence thing, but he’s applying himself better than he did for us last season and he’s reaping the rewards.

Using his recent performances as an attempt to prove that his critics last season were wrong is no more misguided than saying all those who rated Nathan Collins were wrong.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 09, 2023 8:28 am

He did a Geoff Hurst last night. They think its all over.... cracking goal.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue May 09, 2023 8:42 am

It's funny how some have blinkers for certain players and choose to be overly critical of others.

McNeil was a very good player for us. I never understood the "lazy" label as he always put a shift in and regardless of what some think, he also had a desire to get forward. His biggest issue was our set up. We were too pragmatic and rigid toward the end of SD's tenure and it impacted Dwight more than anyone. I can recall several occasions where Dwight broke away from the half way line, got into the final third and then had to turn back because there wasn't anyone else with him. Of course he got abuse for turning back, because some folks can't see what's right in front of their eyes.

I'm pleased he's doing well for Everton. The lad was a good player for us and made us a decent amount of money. He's never said anything negative about us and has been back to the Turf this season to watch us. Good luck to him, unless he's up against us obviously!
These 4 users liked this post: LeadBelly Stayingup Lancasterclaret ngsobob

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 8:49 am

Just seen this..

‘Dwight McNeil has now scored as many goals (7) for Everton as he did for Burnley, and in 136 fewer games.’

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue May 09, 2023 8:51 am

Like most of the team last year he lost his confidence. When that happens wide players will often stop trying to beat their men and take the easy option going sideways or backwards as the team end up sitting deeper and deeper.

Before last season Dwight has been our best player for a few seasons and one of the best things to come out of the club for years. He’s a great lad too and it’s been fantastic to see him develop.
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly ngsobob

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am

To put it into perspective, McNeil is younger than Scott Twine and has played over 150 Premier League games.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am

RVclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:49 am
Just seen this..

‘Dwight McNeil has now scored as many goals (7) for Everton as he did for Burnley, and in 136 fewer games.’
He is Evertons leading scorer.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:35 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:23 am
Yes his tight control, dribbling and delivery is good and always has been. But last season he never made an effort to get into positions to affect the game offensively. He wanted the ball to feet and inevitably went sideways with it. Contrast this with the difference Cornet made when he burst onto the scene.

His second goal yesterday showed a desire to run harder than the opposition to get in behind and he was duly played in and finished very neatly. Maybe this is a confidence thing, but he’s applying himself better than he did for us last season and he’s reaping the rewards.

Using his recent performances as an attempt to prove that his critics last season were wrong is no more misguided than saying all those who rated Nathan Collins were wrong.
I get what you’re saying but I also think it helps that he’s in a different set up with better players.

He’s benefitting from receiving the ball earlier in better positions.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Tue May 09, 2023 10:37 am

I was pleased he left for the money he went for. He'd been very poor at the backend of his time at Burnley.

But he's now in the sort of form where England caps get spoken about. There was mention of it at one point while he was at Burnley. For a player like McNeil, all it takes is a couple of months of solid goal contributions and those conversations will happen again.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue May 09, 2023 10:38 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:35 am
I get what you’re saying but I also think it helps that he’s in a different set up with better players.

He’s benefitting from receiving the ball earlier in better positions.
He benefited mainly yesterday from Brighton deciding to leave him completely free for most of the games compared to a lot of teams marking him very tightly when he played for us as they knew he was our major (and often only) danger.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 10:41 am

andyh wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:40 am
Are you ok Lancaster? You seem upset on this thread.

Dwight can have outstanding games. And has really come through for Everton since he was reunited with Sean.

I think our current team where our eggs are spread amongst several baskets is more consistent than expecting Dwight to do it on his own week in week out.
Just annoyed at the posters who double down on a daft opinion based on nothing

Its so silly, and so unhelpful to any sort of meaningful debate (which is why I take the **** out of the people who do it)

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 10:46 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:03 am
I think that is a tad unfair Rileybobs

He never stopped working for the team, and became the target of the boo boys because he has been consistently one of our better and more creative players, and the boo boys (and girls) always need someone to target

The stats backed up his work rate and tackling efforts (which is what is being denied here) I think

I sort of want Everton to go down, but I also want SD, McNeil, Tarks etc to do well
This user liked this post: ngsobob

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 10:49 am

One thing I have to say (and I admit it's something that surprised me) is there's been a lot of talk about if Dyche can adapt to a different club etc - one thing for sure he has learnt and adapted to is every single mistake with the way he managed Dwight McNeil in his latter time here.

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Tue May 09, 2023 10:56 am

A great barometer for judging someone's understanding of football is/was whether or not they thought Dwight was "lazy" or "cba".
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret jlup1980

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue May 09, 2023 11:25 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:46 am
I think that is a tad unfair Rileybobs

He never stopped working for the team, and became the target of the boo boys because he has been consistently one of our better and more creative players, and the boo boys (and girls) always need someone to target

The stats backed up his work rate and tackling efforts (which is what is being denied here) I think

I sort of want Everton to go down, but I also want SD, McNeil, Tarks etc to do well
I think you’re misunderstanding my point. I haven’t questioned his work rate, as you pointed out his work rate and defensive stats showed he was a hard worker. I’ve questioned his desire to positively affect games and I will stand by that 100% - his second goal for Everton yesterday only reinforces that as he never made that run in behind for Burnley. This was in complete contrast to Cornet whose work rate was perhaps lower, but his desire to score and create goals was much greater.

This may be a confidence thing, it most likely was, but it doesn’t make it less real.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue May 09, 2023 11:32 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:25 am
I think you’re misunderstanding my point. I haven’t questioned his work rate, as you pointed out his work rate and defensive stats showed he was a hard worker. I’ve questioned his desire to positively affect games and I will stand by that 100% - his second goal for Everton yesterday only reinforces that as he never made that run in behind for Burnley. This was in complete contrast to Cornet whose work rate was perhaps lower, but his desire to score and create goals was much greater.

This may be a confidence thing, it most likely was, but it doesn’t make it less real.
Or, they were playing completely different positions/roles in them team and as such comparing them is a total waste of time.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue May 09, 2023 11:56 am

Mattster wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:32 am
Or, they were playing completely different positions/roles in them team and as such comparing them is a total waste of time.
I don’t think comparing the confidence and desire of two players who played a similar role in the team is a complete waste of time, but if you do then feel free to ignore me.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 11:58 am

You can't think McNeil and Cornet were playing similar roles. Not possible.
This user liked this post: Mattster

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 12:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:25 am

You haven't questioned his work rate, and I wouldn't expect you to, because you deal with evidence ;)

The last two away games have shown a completely different SD side to anything I remember - the hard work is there, the organisation is there, but there is also a real attacking ethos (that I don't think we had even when we were superb in the season we qualified for Europe) that Dwight is absolutely thriving in

What he had (from what I saw on the highlights v Brighton especially) was space and people to pass to a lot further up the pitch

Not something he often had with us

Whether its confidence, SD having a road to Damascus moment on tactics, him just improving even more as a player, whatever, its just great to see

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:11 pm

Football fans are fickle, which is why I sometimes read stuff on here and think calm down a bit because in 3 months time you'll be saying the exact opposite....

If anyone wants to watch Everton's 5-1 thrashing of Brighton Mc Neil's performance was amazing. He regularly get MOMs and has been Everton's best player since Dyche arrived - scored 7 goals and has assists.

Tarko is performing very well as well. A lot of Everton fans are eating humble pie at the moment

I don't think anyone can suggest that people should accept 50 per cent pay cuts and the club couldn't afford to do anything other. Worked well for both parties.

Both served the club very well and I am pleased for both of them...

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue May 09, 2023 12:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:56 am
I don’t think comparing the confidence and desire of two players who played a similar role in the team is a complete waste of time, but if you do then feel free to ignore me.
"Similar role". Be like comparing Brownhill and Cullen for the "desire" to make attacking runs this season.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:16 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:04 pm
You haven't questioned his work rate, and I wouldn't expect you to, because you deal with evidence ;)

The last two away games have shown a completely different SD side to anything I remember - the hard work is there, the organisation is there, but there is also a real attacking ethos (that I don't think we had even when we were superb in the season we qualified for Europe) that Dwight is absolutely thriving in

What he had (from what I saw on the highlights v Brighton especially) was space and people to pass to a lot further up the pitch

Whether its confidence, SD having a road to Damascus moment on tactics, him just improving even more as a player, whatever, its just great to see
Fair points all, however, to be fair to Dyche prior to the return of DCL he only had Maupay who seems to be having a tough time and was using Demarai Gray up front so I think he has had little choice but to try and find solution to Everton's problem.

He also has some quality wingers on the books. I think the Everton fans criticise his use of subs and blind spots to certain players like Yerry Mina but I have to say when he has a fit first 11 including DCL Everton look a tidy outfit playing the Dyche way.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:04 pm

I think it's down to having better individual players. Midfielders like Doucoure, Onana. Wingers like Iwobi and Gray. No coincidence their performances have perked up with the return of Calvert-Lewin. Dyche didn't have as many players of that level available at Burnley and so opponents could focus on the few creative players we had to stifle us, meaning McNeil wasn't afforded the kind of space he's getting at Everton.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 09, 2023 12:24 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm
I think it's down to having better individual players. Midfielders like Doucoure, Onana. Wingers like Iwobi and Gray. No coincidence their performances have perked up with the return of Calvert-Lewin. Dyche didn't have as many players of that level available at Burnley and so opponents could focus on the few creative players we had to stifle us, meaning McNeil wasn't afforded the kind of space he's getting at Everton.
Worth saying that all the teams down there have some really good players, which should really put how far we have to go into context for next season
This user liked this post: Mattster

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue May 09, 2023 12:31 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:24 pm
Worth saying that all the teams down there have some really good players, which should really put how far we have to go into context for next season
Whether the players we have now are much better than we had last time we were in the EPL is up for debate but at the very least the creativity / goal threat is much more evenly distributed around the team this time.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2312 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue May 09, 2023 12:39 pm

I certainly won't miss the McNeil we saw last season. Good player or not, it's how her performs for Burnley that interests me, and he spent most of last season missing in action.

So he's doing OK under Dyche at Everton...well bully for him.

Benson and Zaroury could beat more men in one game than McNeil in a full season...and next season, with the protection of VAR they may well come even more into their own, along with Tella who is completely different gravy.

We'll have to wait and see, but I certainly wouldn't swap either Benson or Zaroury (or Tella) for McNeil.
This user liked this post: claretblue

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue May 09, 2023 12:42 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:58 am
You can't think McNeil and Cornet were playing similar roles. Not possible.
Similar roles in that both players played in wide left attacking positions, similar in that both were relied upon to be our most creative outlets. Different players with different attributes of course, but not exactly outlandish to say they had a similar role.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue May 09, 2023 12:43 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:13 pm
"Similar role". Be like comparing Brownhill and Cullen for the "desire" to make attacking runs this season.
It really wouldn't.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue May 09, 2023 1:23 pm

I think there is a broader point here. I do think that a lot of what McNeil is criticised for last season comes down to confidence and belief - as well as the ability of other players in the team to support the runs in question. McNeil's role at Burnley was different to Cornet's - Cornet very rarely played an active role in securing possession and instigating moves in our own half, whereas rightly or wrongly that increasingly became McNeil's role - and perhaps, his comfort zone. So that took him out of the equation a lot of the time to make those runs behind, because he was too deep. Equally, when he did make those runs, he often didn't get the ball and his frustration at that was obvious. But undoubtedly, as McNeil's end product dipped last season as the weight of expectation and the pressure of being our "star man" built on him, his lack of confidence and belief became a factor in all that. Now, at Everton, he's both got better players around him who can find him in higher areas of the pitch, he's got the shared burden because Everton have a number of other players who the crowd expect to be creative outlets and he's got the confidence because those two factors have liberated him, he's got a few goals and assists and like most young players confidence and belief are a massive part of whether he performs well or not.

The broader point is this. We have a new crop of exciting attacking talents now, and we've moved on from McNeil. They've had a season this season where mostly, everything has gone well for them, and we've dominated games and if they are wasteful with a chance or a crossing opportunity, another one has been along soon. That won't always be the case next season and they will have spells where they lose confidence or belief. It might be our current coaching team is better at building them up in those moments, and perhaps the way we play will help, but more likely all of Zaroury, Benson and if he's here Tella, and Twine and the rest, will have spells where they are frustrated and unproductive. They'll need the support and forbearance of the crowd to get back on the horse and build back up again. Ultimately the crowd beginning to over-expect of McNeil became counter-productive and adversely affected his performances last season and hopefully that doesn't repeat with our current crop. I've said before that in the second half of the season I've discerned a certain over-expectation on Zaroury; having good, quietly influential performances isn't enough and we want him to be repeating the goal against Sunderland or the assist against Rovers twice a game. It doesn't always happen like that and we've got to be patient and appreciate all the basic stuff they might be doing well even if the spectacular isn't coming off.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue May 09, 2023 1:29 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:56 am
A great barometer for judging someone's understanding of football is/was whether or not they thought Dwight was "lazy" or "cba".
I didn’t think he was lazy - I thought he switched off at important moments and watched late runners into the box jolt past him.

I do echo a lot of the sentiments here about him being a confidence player - body language is a big thing, at times you’d see him with his head down and he’d be less available for getting on the ball etc.

Cracking left foot and is good at what he does in that wide midfield birth. Not the style we need rn for our wingers but Dyche obviously knows how to get the best out of him

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue May 09, 2023 1:32 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am
To put it into perspective, McNeil is younger than Scott Twine and has played over 150 Premier League games.
& Jamie Vardy hadn’t played a single PL game at Dwight McNeils age - some players do fall through the cracks!

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue May 09, 2023 1:37 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:29 pm
I didn’t think he was lazy - I thought he switched off at important moments and watched late runners into the box jolt past him.

I do echo a lot of the sentiments here about him being a confidence player - body language is a big thing, at times you’d see him with his head down and he’d be less available for getting on the ball etc.

Cracking left foot and is good at what he does in that wide midfield birth. Not the style we need rn for our wingers but Dyche obviously knows how to get the best out of him
He's just a good player who at this level would obviously have played centrally, and who as he gets older and has more game sense, will increasingly end up dictating games from a narrower role at Premier League level. Aggi's point is correct: he's still a kid, he's just learned on the job in the harshest of spotlights, without even the loan spells almost all kids have these days.

The point about him switching off occasionally is correct, but show me a 21/22 year old lad who has come through the ranks as an attack minded creative player who doesn't occasionally switch off, particularly when charged with defending in the volumes we had to at times. It's like criticising a teenager for being slow to get out of bed when they do it once a month.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue May 09, 2023 1:53 pm

claretspice wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:37 pm
He's just a good player who at this level would obviously have played centrally, and who as he gets older and has more game sense, will increasingly end up dictating games from a narrower role at Premier League level. Aggi's point is correct: he's still a kid, he's just learned on the job in the harshest of spotlights, without even the loan spells almost all kids have these days.

The point about him switching off occasionally is correct, but show me a 21/22 year old lad who has come through the ranks as an attack minded creative player who doesn't occasionally switch off, particularly when charged with defending in the volumes we had to at times. It's like criticising a teenager for being slow to get out of bed when they do it once a month.
But when you’re a professional PL player earning good money you’re gonna get rightly criticised for switching off, right?

He’s young yes but still played a lot of first team games so it isn’t like he was new to it a understandable in first two seasons but last season for me was particularly poor.

I still don’t view the playing centrally thing. Think he does well in space coming from a bit of a deeper position - not sure he’d be effective playing where the space is cramped or in a team that has the lions share of the ball most of the time.

I still can’t look past his inability to do simple things with his right foot like trapping and passing the ball - he has to position himself at strange angles when receiving the ball.

Doesn’t matter as much playing on the winger but playing more centrally it absolutely does - for a comparison look at a Martin Odegaard type, just brilliant can comfortably take the ball on the turn anyway to keep the ball away from a defender whilst driving into space - if Dwight could be a bit less one dimensional then he’d improve tremendously as a player imo

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue May 09, 2023 2:16 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:47 pm
Or alternatively, People won't accept the objective evidence and prefer their own subjective perspective.
I liked this post Spice because reasonable opinions are a mixture of both.
In my case I do put more emphasis on the subjective perspective. This does not mean I ignore the objective evidence , I question the purity of stats and feel you need a very good understanding of them otherwise they can be misinterpreted. That is another argument and one I would like to take up with posters like yourself any day.
Your approach is always a mature one unlike those who like to take their ball home if someone disagrees with them.
A subjective approach is obviously going to be an individual thing and having read other posters take on McNeil’s performances last season I am happy to accept that points like his lack of concentration at times.
He certainly didn’t show any of that yesterday !

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon May 29, 2023 11:16 am

Ended the season as Everton's leading scorer. Admittedly I think that tells you a lot about Everton's problems this season.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 29, 2023 11:21 am

His stock is certiainly rising as a Premier league player. Worth far more than Everton paid for him and still only 23.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 29, 2023 11:23 am

He's been very good for Everton since SD came in

He was very good for us as well

Stats back that up, as well as the evidence of my eyes (which is more important to some posters than others clearly!)

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon May 29, 2023 11:59 am

Dwight played centrally a number of times for the u23s.
He also played centrally in his first full game (or one of his first) for burnley in the pre season friendly at Preston I went to watch and played really well scoring that evening.
One of his best ever games for Burnley was away at Palace where he was the best player on the park by some distance.
The reason he can play out wide or centrally is because he has quality. He has a great first touch, sees a pass and he’s got a great engine. I’m sure I saw one of the Everton players in an interview say recently that Dwight is the fittest player in the team in the context of how the players were getting put through their paces by Dyche to improve this area.

Dwight is one of my favourite players in recent years. It’s great when a young player breaks into the team and even better when he starts to represent your club at international level and for a very young lad plays as many games in the best league in the world that Dwight has already. Like someone above said he had no loan period to toughen him up or get used to playing first team football. He did not even have a very good standard of u23 football to blood him as we were playing in a pretty poor league. He was thrown into first team football playing against world class full backs and defenders and he more than held his own. Did he lose his form and have a few bad games ? Of course he did…..but how many players in the world at his age would not ?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:00 am

I wonder if some of those who spent last season insisting that Dwight wouldn't get in our team and we'd replaced him with better players are starting to reassess that?

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:12 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:00 am
I wonder if some of those who spent last season insisting that Dwight wouldn't get in our team and we'd replaced him with better players are starting to reassess that?
Not just Dwight - plenty of people have said Tarks and Ben Mee would not get in our side either.

Right now Arthur Gnohere and Graham Branch would be vying for that centre back jersey !!
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:18 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:12 am
Not just Dwight - plenty of people have said Tarks and Ben Mee would not get in our side either.

Right now Arthur Gnohere and Graham Branch would be vying for that centre back jersey !!
I think Lee Howey would fancy his chances! 😳

helmclaret
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by helmclaret » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:15 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:12 am

I’ll always remember Crewe (a) one Christmas/New Year when Arthur and Branch were at centre half. Absolute comedy.