Dwight

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Dwight

Post by Spijed » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:41 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:27 pm
All three outfield players we sold for big money last summer have struggled.

I can see McNeil & Collins coming good under the right coaches, but Cornet always has the whiff of a one-season-wonder to me.
Mee seems to have settled in well at Brentford and he's been integral to the way they play at times.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:47 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:41 pm
Mee seems to have settled in well at Brentford and he's been integral to the way they play at times.
Absolutely, but he was a free (OOC) so wasn’t in ag’s mind, I don’t think.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:47 pm

When so many people have to make excuses for a player you know he’s not as good as some think.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:48 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:27 pm
All three outfield players we sold for big money last summer have struggled.

I can see McNeil & Collins coming good under the right coaches, but Cornet always has the whiff of a one-season-wonder to me.
Yeah, he only really scored stunners out of nothing, and largely offered little else in his performances bar those goals. Fitness questionable too with many games subbed off due to impact injuries and the like. We may have done very well turning a healthy £5m or so profit around on him. Undoubtedly he was the highlight of that miserable season due to said stunners, but I cannot say I miss him when you see what our wingers offer all game.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:57 pm

I wonder if we ran Dwight into the ground, or at least that in part contributed to his deterioration.

He came into the side and played practically every game from there on, missing only two Premier League matches in the following three seasons including the Covid one where there was practically no break between the seasons. In addition he was quite possibly finishing his body growth.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:59 pm

Needs merging with this thread. Some interesting comments at the beginning

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... lit=Dwight

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:04 pm

Some players make it who are one footed and moderate paced, but they have often got a touch of genius, like Eriksson. I’d say the jury would be out if DM can thrive anywhere at that level now that clubs have in depth dossiers on his strengths and weaknesses.

The jury is of course also out on our present crop too, but they haven’t yet played in the Prem nor have they gone for £20m. Our board got great money for our departing guys other than Collins and Pope who could have gone for more.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:10 pm

The pressure we placed on McNeil at such a young age to be our one and only creative outlet was frankly ludicrous.

And it was unfortunate that during a critical 2 year period of McNeil’s development, where he should’ve kicked on, he was in a team bereft of confidence and playing dire football.

There’s a player in there somewhere, don’t forget he was in the England U21’s and mixing it with the very best young prospects. It will probably require another transfer or even dropping back down to the Championship for him to regain some form.

Spike
Been Liked: 601 times
Has Liked: 1241 times

Post by Spike » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:15 pm

He wasn’t the finished article and needed to go to a club who worked on him tactically , physically and mentally. He was good for us and his fee helped us to rebuild . Just a pity we can’t see if it did go to rebuilding because of the Pace finances shenanigans

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:17 pm

Id take him back in this team if we went up and Everton came down (for a much reduced fee to what we sold him for of course).

I think he would play well in our new system.

As has already been covered - we never played in a way that got the best out of him and he needs a coach that knows how to get the best out of him. I think VK could do that.

Unlikely to happen though- probably because of the wages he is now getting at Everton.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:32 pm

Think he’s extremely overrated tbh - people like to say Dyche hampered his progression but I think Dyche actually got the best out of him and hid his limitations by utilising him as a wide midfielder, allowed him to whip balls ins (his best asset imo) to our big front two .

Very limited footballer and people seem to remember him by the earlier games that he was good in, when he was somewhat of an unknown quantity rather than the vast majority of poor performances he put in during his Burnley tenure.

Also think he’s given a favourable view off some folk because he came through the youth system and was young.

Look back and you’ll see countless examples of Dwight switching off at precisely the wrong moment whilst an overlapping fullback marauds forward unmarked to put a ball across our goal.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:35 pm

Dwight showed so much promise on breaking into the side only to have his strengths coached out of him. There can't be any other explanation otherwise he couldn't have last so long as first choice.

Previously he could shield the ball effectively whilst travelling and dig out an accurate cross from almost impossible angles. Many of these crosses lead to scoring opportunities or goals.

He went from that to running in circles like a dog chasing its tail and his head would go down so often it was obvious he wasn't enjoying himself.

I don't think he's ever recovered his mojo.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:19 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:23 pm
Everton are in big trouble this season, the fans were booing and groaning all game against Wolves, they weren't getting the ball forward quick enough, Tarkowski was one of the main culprits. Funny that the one time Tarkowski finally hits it long, they concede from the following counter attack.

Personally I'd love to see us pass Tarkowski on the way up, they were fortunate last season and after Tarkowski's interview about taking back his career, it would be a hilarious example of the grass ain't always greener. You should be grateful to be playing for a club like Burnley and liked by the fans.
I know Tarks was a bit of a prat when leaving Brentford,but he gave 100% right up to the final game for Burnley,no wonder he wanted to take back his career after Sean Dyche had him lumping it forward at every possible opportunity ,would make a wonderful back three with Beyer ,THB.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:34 pm

Dwight McNeil has a superb left foot and excellent at precise crossing, on the move.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:39 pm

Quoting post above: Henry Winter of The Times did an interview with Dwight over Xmas, which is pretty good and does rather suggest that he's happy there*

HENRY WINTER | DWIGHT MCNEIL INTERVIEW - Times Online 5pm Friday 23rd December (print edition Saturday 24th)

Dwight McNeil: Everton fans are so passionate – they give me belief
The winger and his partner Megan have had a busy week spreading joy on Merseyside

Extract, first few paras of full page article. Link to full article below (it will take you past the pay wall).

Two boys bearing a gift is not normally how Santa’s grottos work, especially when the gift they’re bringing is a box of warm chicken nuggets. It was simply that these two young lads wanted to show their appreciation to Everton’s No 7, Dwight McNeil, who was helping Blue Santa in his grotto 100 yards from Goodison Park.

After receiving their presents from McNeil at the Blue Base, one of Everton In The Community’s vital hubs, they’d dashed out, got the nuggets, rushed back and presented them to the winger. They then sauntered back out of the grotto, singing his song, “You make me feel; Dwiiiight McNeil”, the reworking of the 1978 Sylvester hit famously covered in the UK by Jimmy Somerville in 1989.

McNeil is laughing and wondering whether an athlete should really be eating a chicken nugget — he settles for a tiny bite to be polite — while his partner, Megan Sharpley, does not know whether to laugh or cry. Sharpley’s seen how little these children have in Kirkdale. She knows it’s the fourth most disadvantaged area of the country. She appreciates even more her and McNeil’s good fortune.

“It’s so important, whoever you are, to bring yourself back to the ground and remember what other people are going through, especially this year,” Sharpley says. “The cost of living crisis is massive and it’s affecting everyone, it’s affecting nurses, it’s affecting people with jobs and they’re still not sure whether they can put the heating on or whether they can feed their family.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/918b ... 2269d3564d

It's a good article. Dwight McNeil and his partner, Megan Sharpley appear to be happy and appear to be giving something back to Everton fans.

Another extract: Sharpley and McNeil met when she was waitressing at Turf Moor and he was playing for Burnley. He was too shy to talk to her and messaged her on Instagram instead, but she was too busy with two other jobs and ignored him. Eventually they got talking.

There are a couple of mentions of Burnley in the article.

I wish Dwight McNeil and Megan Sharpley all the best.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Sorry, but McNeil was effectively a one-season-wonder. Once sussed out his limitations were obvious. We’ll never know whether he could have developed more under different coaching but we completely mugged Everton!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:53 pm

Nick Pope is having the most success of the players that left Burnley at the end of the relegation season. I hope NUFC can finish in the top 4 and qualify for Champions League. It will shake up the "top 6" clubs more than a little. I'd be happy for Nick Pope and Kieran Trippier and Eddie Howe.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Colburn_Claret

Hurstwood_Claret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Hurstwood_Claret » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:53 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:20 pm
It would divide opinion but I’d be open to the idea of rescuing him from that toxic club if we are promoted so long as the fee was quite low.

He’d thrive in this VK team in the number 10 role.

Right, time to get the tin hat on. For some reason, some of our fans can be really unpleasant to Dwight, much like the Everton fans on there.
YES YES YES
Same with Cornet

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:56 pm

This user liked this post: claretspice

Conroy92
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:59 pm

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:40 pm
I just don't understand why some of our fans need to be quite derogatory towards our ex players or managers etc. Dwight had a really good 18 months or so for us after breaking into the first team and along with Heaton returning in the sticks was probably the biggest factor in staying up that 2018-19 season.
As time went on opposition teams did their homework more thoroughly and often put 2 or 3 players on him meaning that he had no other option but to go inside or backwards. Teams realised if they stifled Dwight they had a good chance of stopping us as he was our only creative player. This was an unbelievable amount of pressure for someone so young to handle in which his confidence and performances suffered greatly. Compare that to today when teams have Benson, Zaroury, Tella, Gudmonsson, Brownhill, even Maatsen, Vitinho or THB etc to create something out of nothing.
Saying all that I don't really miss him as I am not sure whether he would fit in this side or even where he would fit into this side. However I wish him nothing but the best for his future except when he plays us of course.
Agree with this. The people saying he only had a good 6 months and a comment above calling him pathetic is quite harsh.
To add, I think we did good business. For whatever reason, Dwight had become less effective for us and we sold him at his worst for a fee that represented his best.
I'd take him back for around 5m.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:04 pm

Dwight only got his chance in that West Ham game due to injuries, but boy did he take it, and in his 1st season he played a massive role in our late survival surge.

However ever since bursting onto the scene he's gradually became less influential, and the goals and assists totally dried up last season, not all Dwight's fault I have to say, SD never seemed to know how best to utilise his talents, and Dwight's confidence slowly dipped as the fans got on his back with each passing week.

I'm amazed we got £20m for him based on his last 2 seasons, and given how wisely we've invested in wingers with pace I regard that as a good deal for us.
This user liked this post: SouthLondonexile

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:09 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:04 pm

However ever since bursting onto the scene he's gradually became less influential, and the goals and assists totally dried up last season, not all Dwight's fault I have to say, SD never seemed to know how best to utilise his talents, and Dwight's confidence slowly dipped as the fans got on his back with each passing week.

Remember in Michael Jackson’s first game, Dwightvwas playing like he allowed to express himself again.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:59 pm

I’ve not read the full thread (only a few posts) but I find some Burnley fans opinions of Dwight McNeil laughable.

If you’ve watched Burnley the last 2-3 years, DM was clearly our best footballer and with the success that the likes of Brownhill and Cork are having at this lower level there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that McNeil would have been incredible in the Championship - whether out wide or deployed where Brownhill currently is.

The Premier League is a much higher level of football. For example, in my opinion, Josh Brownhill would struggle playing the role he currently does in the PL. Dwight McNeil has played his entire career to date at Premier League level - that’s because he’s a very good footballer (no matter what Everton fans think of him when they get beat).
This user liked this post: claretspice

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:33 pm

I was disappointed to see McNeil leave at a time when we were selling/had sold all of our Premier League quality players - although the fee always seemed a good one.

He would have been good at this level, pretty sure about that. But I had no idea we’d be replacing him with exciting, forward-thinking wide players such as Benson and Zaroury. We will have to see whether either can step up, but both of them have a lot more positivity to their game than McNeil, who is more similar to JBG in that he has quality on the ball but is rather negative and safe in his use of it. We saw what a difference a player with Cornet’s mentality added to the team when he arrived, and I’ve never seen a desire from McNeil to get into goalscoring positions. Not surprised at all to see him tank at Everton and I suspect we’ve seen his best days.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:49 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:59 pm
I’ve not read the full thread (only a few posts) but I find some Burnley fans opinions of Dwight McNeil laughable.

If you’ve watched Burnley the last 2-3 years, DM was clearly our best footballer and with the success that the likes of Brownhill and Cork are having at this lower level there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that McNeil would have been incredible in the Championship - whether out wide or deployed where Brownhill currently is.

The Premier League is a much higher level of football. For example, in my opinion, Josh Brownhill would struggle playing the role he currently does in the PL. Dwight McNeil has played his entire career to date at Premier League level - that’s because he’s a very good footballer (no matter what Everton fans think of him when they get beat).
Ludicrous to say Dwight was our best player in that time when we had Chris Wood getting 10-15 goals a season, Nick Pope constantly pulling out wonder saves, Mee & Tarky more or less 7-8/10 every game and then players like Cornet.

Dwight McNeil played 38 games last season and returned 0 goals.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:04 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:49 pm
Ludicrous to say Dwight was our best player in that time when we had Chris Wood getting 10-15 goals a season, Nick Pope constantly pulling out wonder saves, Mee & Tarky more or less 7-8/10 every game and then players like Cornet.

Dwight McNeil played 38 games last season and returned 0 goals.
I didn’t. I said he was our best footballer.

HiThere
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by HiThere » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:06 pm

He would replace Brownhill in this set-up. Central attacking midfield.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:07 pm

I'll never get anyone who says McNeil can't fit into this side

Whether he would improve it or not if we go up isn't in doubt either

But its all a couple of moot points anyway as he's not coming back here one would think

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2018 times
Has Liked: 2915 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:13 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:25 pm
I would stay well clear of that toxic messageboard.

Thankfully most Everton fans are nothing like that.

Is it 2 goals and 2 assists in not so much playing time? If he got 6 and 6 it would be a very good season for him.
I’ve spoken often to a Toffee’s fan who really doesn’t think Dwight will ever be accepted, unless he turns into a different player. They think he is lazy, disinterested and underwhelming in general, made worse by the fact that they get seconds of brilliance off him. It really i a universal feeling: he is certainly no blowhard on a keyboard.

HiThere

Post by HiThere » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:16 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:13 pm
I’ve spoken often to a Toffee’s fan who really doesn’t think Dwight will ever be accepted, unless he turns into a different player. They think he is lazy, disinterested and underwhelming in general, made worse by the fact that they get seconds of brilliance off him. It really i a universal feeling: he is certainly no blowhard on a keyboard.
That description is very close to what I'd say. He's certainly not a player who would discard Zaroury which leaves a position I'm not even sure Kompany would accept - that's an attacking central midfield who doesn't really track back. Like I suggest, would VK accept that? Not convinced he would.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:23 am

I was pretty uncomplimentary about Dwight when he took his pieces of silver and moved to greener pastures. I thought he would be a standout had he stayed with us, but that was was before VKs talent for selecting great players became fully apparent. Now, I wouldn’t have him back if they paid us to take him and paid his wages. However, Pope, Tarks and Mee are a different matter. Having said that, we have the second meanest defence in the division and we seem to be scoring goals for fun so, at present, I’m happy with what we’ve got. UTC.

HiThere

Post by HiThere » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:25 am

BennyD wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:23 am
I wouldn’t have him back if they paid us to take him and paid his wages.
Ouch. I wouldn't go that far. He would make a solid bench option if I were the manager.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:53 am

HiThere wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:06 pm
He would replace Brownhill in this set-up. Central attacking midfield.
Think you’re underestimating just how much pressing Brownhill gets through a game

HiThere

Post by HiThere » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:00 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:53 am
Think you’re underestimating just how much pressing Brownhill gets through a game
I'm certainly not. I'll tell you what I'm doing - I'm forfeiting Brownhill's pressing and making us even more attacking. But what I would probably do is have Dwight as a bench player. Make him fight for his place.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:06 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:39 pm
Quoting post above: Henry Winter of The Times did an interview with Dwight over Xmas, which is pretty good and does rather suggest that he's happy there*

HENRY WINTER | DWIGHT MCNEIL INTERVIEW - Times Online 5pm Friday 23rd December (print edition Saturday 24th)

Dwight McNeil: Everton fans are so passionate – they give me belief
The winger and his partner Megan have had a busy week spreading joy on Merseyside

Extract, first few paras of full page article. Link to full article below (it will take you past the pay wall).

Two boys bearing a gift is not normally how Santa’s grottos work, especially when the gift they’re bringing is a box of warm chicken nuggets. It was simply that these two young lads wanted to show their appreciation to Everton’s No 7, Dwight McNeil, who was helping Blue Santa in his grotto 100 yards from Goodison Park.

After receiving their presents from McNeil at the Blue Base, one of Everton In The Community’s vital hubs, they’d dashed out, got the nuggets, rushed back and presented them to the winger. They then sauntered back out of the grotto, singing his song, “You make me feel; Dwiiiight McNeil”, the reworking of the 1978 Sylvester hit famously covered in the UK by Jimmy Somerville in 1989.

McNeil is laughing and wondering whether an athlete should really be eating a chicken nugget — he settles for a tiny bite to be polite — while his partner, Megan Sharpley, does not know whether to laugh or cry. Sharpley’s seen how little these children have in Kirkdale. She knows it’s the fourth most disadvantaged area of the country. She appreciates even more her and McNeil’s good fortune.

“It’s so important, whoever you are, to bring yourself back to the ground and remember what other people are going through, especially this year,” Sharpley says. “The cost of living crisis is massive and it’s affecting everyone, it’s affecting nurses, it’s affecting people with jobs and they’re still not sure whether they can put the heating on or whether they can feed their family.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/918b ... 2269d3564d

It's a good article. Dwight McNeil and his partner, Megan Sharpley appear to be happy and appear to be giving something back to Everton fans.

Another extract: Sharpley and McNeil met when she was waitressing at Turf Moor and he was playing for Burnley. He was too shy to talk to her and messaged her on Instagram instead, but she was too busy with two other jobs and ignored him. Eventually they got talking.

There are a couple of mentions of Burnley in the article.

I wish Dwight McNeil and Megan Sharpley all the best.
That is a wonderful article, everyone should read this first before dishing out rubbish on the lad.

Good luck to him & his girl
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick Paul Waine JohnMac

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1219 times
Has Liked: 7211 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:11 am

Belgianclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:06 am
That is a wonderful article, everyone should read this first before dishing out rubbish on the lad.

Well said, Belgian.

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:38 am

Belgianclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:06 am

Absolutely. It’s funny, I really think he’d get less stick if he just had a natural propensity to smile a bit more on the pitch.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:41 am

IMO Too one footed and too slow. You can't do anything about lack of pace, but the extreme inability to use his right foot could have been dealt with in his development. Being competent with his right foot would have made him a completely different player. Too late now, a potential talent wasted

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3878 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:39 am

Dwight would run riot in the championship, even Brownhill scores in this league.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:45 am

gtclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:41 am
IMO Too one footed and too slow. You can't do anything about lack of pace, but the extreme inability to use his right foot could have been dealt with in his development. Being competent with his right foot would have made him a completely different player. Too late now, a potential talent wasted
Yes agreed, that sums it up perfectly for me.
And along with not seeming to attempt teach Chis Wood to beat the offside rule was frustrating for a manager and his team so into the details

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:39 am
Dwight would run riot in the championship, even Brownhill scores in this league.
Yes indeed. Even Barnes looks good at times at this level.

I really do think far too many on this board are greatly underestimating the gap between the opposition this season and what we're about to face next year in the Prem.

Many are in for a very rude awakening.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:09 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 am
Yes indeed. Even Barnes looks good at times at this level.

I really do think far too many on this board are greatly underestimating the gap between the opposition this season and what we're about to face next year in the Prem.

Many are in for a very rude awakening.
I totally agree about the huge gap and the very poor standard generally in the Championship, but I for one am not underestimating the task we face should we go up. We're clearly head and shoulders above the rest of our division and we'd have to do something utterly bonkers not to get promoted from this position, but I honestly think without a good deal of judicious recruitment we'd be seriously struggle in the PL with the team as it is.
As for Dwight, I often found my opinion when he was here to be at odds with many fellow Clarets. He's extremely good technically, especially with his left foot and keeps the ball really well (something we lacked under SD) BUT in order to keep the ball at all costs he constantly runs round in circles and dead ends and when he finally does off load the ball, the team is no further forward than when he started. He flatters to deceive as he's extremely suspect defensively and creates basically nowt going forward, so it's not surprising that fans quickly start wondering what's the point? I certainly did. Often!

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:32 am

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:11 pm
I was curious how he was doing at Everton after watching highlights of the Wolves game. I saw he grabbed an assist with a good corner, and I had seen him score a couple earlier on in the season. Whilst Everton are doing garbage I had perceived that McNeil was doing OK overall there comparative to what was playing around him. I thought I would check out 'Grand Old Team', Everton's messageboard, to have a read.

Wow. I was pretty wrong.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/thre ... 4/page-136

I was a huge fan of McNeil and was gutted when we sold him, so I don't want this to be a slagging off thread, but the words on that thread are a real shame to read. Will he ever get his mojo back of the first 18 months or so when he broke into our side? He looked destined for the very top. How much did we really get for him, as there was talk of £15m, £20m and even £25m! How do people think he would have done under Kompany?
Said this to my mate after Zaroury scored, saying how worried we were in the summer at losing Dwight as we were both convinced how well he'd do in this league. I know we're playing against lower opposition, but I genuinely don't think Dwight would be a starter in this team. We have so many attacking options it's ridiculous!

FulledgeClaret
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by FulledgeClaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:50 am

I think The main problem Dwight has at Everton is they expected him to be a like for like replacement for Richarlison and he is nowhere near that level. Lampard doesn't know how to use him to good effect and defenders know if they turn him onto his right foot he is pretty useless and will take the easy pass backwards. given a free license to run at teams on the break he can be very good as we saw at times through his time with us. in the right system he would thrive but that wasnt here in the last 2 seasons or at Everton under Lampard.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:36 am

The problem with Dwight is nobody knows what his best position is.

Playing on the left worked at first but defenders worked him out. Playing on the right never worked, too predictable that he was going to cut inside. Probably doesn't have the pace or finishing to play in a PL front three.

I still think he could make a decent number 10/box to box player but he won't get that at Everton. Or maybe a Conte-style wing back but Lampard doesn't play that system.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:08 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:32 pm
Think he’s extremely overrated tbh - people like to say Dyche hampered his progression but I think Dyche actually got the best out of him and hid his limitations by utilising him as a wide midfielder, allowed him to whip balls ins (his best asset imo) to our big front two .

Very limited footballer and people seem to remember him by the earlier games that he was good in, when he was somewhat of an unknown quantity rather than the vast majority of poor performances he put in during his Burnley tenure.

Also think he’s given a favourable view off some folk because he came through the youth system and was young.

Look back and you’ll see countless examples of Dwight switching off at precisely the wrong moment whilst an overlapping fullback marauds forward unmarked to put a ball across our goal.
A superb point, particularly in regards to Dyche.

I can’t think of many players, save Trippier and Ings that left us and went on to perform at a far higher level. Many and more did their bit for us then faded away or never looked like the same player - Keane being the most obvious example but there are plenty others.

Dyche made internationals out of countless players, he got us promoted in that second season where some had tipped us to be relegated.

He made his Burnley teams stronger than the sum of their parts. We always moaned when people boxed us into that ‘long ball team’ nonsense, because we weren’t always. The promotion seasons, the Europe season we played some lovely stuff. That’s because Dyche knew the strengths and weaknesses of his squad and sent them out to play accordingly.

Are we to believe that he dropped the ball with Dwight, when he did so well for others? Not for me. Lots have said that Dwight fancied himself a roaming CM. Not on your life. Can you imagine him doing what Brownhill does, or even as a no 10 like Blake? Not on your life, certainly not at PL level anyway.

Dyche knew that. He knew he couldn’t be trusted in the centre but that he had a wand of a left foot on his day. He got put on the left where his weaknesses could be masked and be compensated for, and where his positives could still shine.

Dyche had the measure of him, and elevated him like he did with so many others, so it’s the other way round as per the point above.
These 2 users liked this post: Pickles CoolClaret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3878 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:15 am

BigGaz wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:08 am
A superb point, particularly in regards to Dyche.

I can’t think of many players, save Trippier and Ings that left us and went on to perform at a far higher level. Many and more did their bit for us then faded away or never looked like the same player - Keane being the most obvious example but there are plenty others.
Keane and Dwight got much better moves.

You can't say the same for Dyche.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:27 am

They got their moves, sure.

Then they were removed from Dyches system and shape that amplified their abilities and now look.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:45 am

andyh wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:07 pm
I have said this often. Dwight is a poor player. He is one of the main reasons we got relegated. In a side with few creative slots if one is permanently occupied by someone who neither creates nor scores then you are in deep trouble. We were last year, now Everton are.

Would he have been ok in a VK side? Who knows but I think think all the replacements are better than Dwight. And as for the price difference it is almost scandalous.

He had a good 6 months is a very sound but unadventurous team. He stood out because we had no other creative players. But he is totally one sided… has no pace and apart from an occasional sharp turn no real trickery. Added to that he can’t shoot and rarely crosses… so for me I was delighted he went.
No matter how many times you say that Dwight is a poor player it won’t mean that he is . Of course he’s not a ‘ poor player ‘ . He’s played at a young age for two struggling teams in a very difficult division .Granted with hindsight his transfer to Everton for good money was a good deal for Burnley .

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:46 am

Good luck to him.

Talented lad, just needs to get into the rhythm of playing regularly again.