The last of us

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

The last of us

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:56 pm

Has anyone watched the first episode yet?

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Re: The last of us

Post by Jambounchained » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:59 pm

Literally just finished the first episode, really enjoyed it. I’m a huge fan of the games so that may also help.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:02 pm

Jambounchained wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:59 pm
Literally just finished the first episode, really enjoyed it. I’m a huge fan of the games so that may also help.
Yes me to, I loved the game thought the first ep was excellent
This user liked this post: Jambounchained

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:34 pm

Just watched the first episode. It was better than I expected. Can't wait for next week now.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:40 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:56 pm
Has anyone watched the first episode yet?
Yeah. Good 80 min ep
I know what going to happen tho having played the game but its a good watch

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 am

Anyone up for a bit of full-on comparative literary criticism based on a ten second scene of a 90 minute episode of TV? Well good news, I have just that.

FULL SPOILERS for both the first game and the TV show, obviously.

Absolute banger of an opening episode. Loved it, but just one small point to critique (in a very long-winded way).

I have one very minute gripe that I hope is just a small blip, and not a sign of the storytelling beats that will be used throughout the show, and it's this: let the audience interpret the characters' morality and ethics rather than overstating it. What do I mean by that, and what am I referring to? It's the scene at the end of ep.1 where Joel beats the guard to death after the scanner identifies Ellie as being infected. In the game, Ellie jumps the guard with a knife after the positive scan, and after immediately tackling him to the ground Joel just blows the guy's brains out without a single second's thought, but in the show he hesitates as though he's weighing up the action before doing it. I also felt there was no need to humanise the guard by making him an associate of Joel's. This is a cheaply done narrative beat that I feel doesn't successfully introduce conflict to Joel's personality, and believe me, we're going to see him kill a lot more people, rendering this brief moment of internal conflict meaningless. And with that exact scene in mind, the main thing that planted a seed of doubt and concern in my mind that the show might spoon-feed character morality to the audience more than the game does to the extent that it might deviate from the game's characterisation; the thing that makes me a bit worried that the show might try too hard to get the audience on Joel's side by humanising him, was the use of Joel's flashback to the prologue where his daughter, Sarah, died in a similar altercation, before he got on with killing the guard.

Perhaps they're trying to make him seem less cold blooded than he comes across in the game, but this scrubs clean some of the moral ambiguity that makes the game's characters so great, and crucially for me, we simply don't need this flashback edit in the show. It's too on the nose. The game doesn't have any such flashback in this scene, and the game is very patient in developing the surrogate father/daughter psychology that gradually affects Joel's persona, behaviour and actions, including in the incredible ending of the game. In the show it's as though we're told through the quick flashback, "see, it's just like when Sarah died, Ellie reminds Joel of Sarah, see, do you get it? She reminds him of his daughter, see, see, look, here's a flashback of a scene you watched forty five minutes ago just in case you forgot, see, Ellie is Sarah", whereas in the game that relationship was allowed to develop organically over hours of gameplay in a show-don't-tell kind of way. That flashback was very 'tell', and it pricked my spider-senses that the show might strip away a little bit of the character depth and moral complexity, not to mention being more forceful in telling the audience how to feel in the moment, all in the name of making Joel a more likeable protagonist. His humanity or otherwise, his likeability or otherwise was never what made the game's story so great. In the game his coldness made him great foil to Ellie, but in that one moment the show is dying for you to view him as a good guy, and the devices used (hesitation + flashback) were too close to being a hackneyed humanising trope for me. I hope the show avoids those kind of tropes.

Anyone who has finished the game will know that right at the end Joel makes an enormous choice which is unbelievable complex, and for which there is no 'correct' decision, but I'm worried the show might nudge the audience throughout its runtime as though saying, "it's okay, don't worry, he's doing the right thing". The game never did this, because the game is not a closed text with only one single interpretation. I hope the show is as open a text as its source.

Apart from that, which is admittedly a very minor gripe, I though it was otherwise about as perfect as I could've hoped, and based on just one episode it looks like it might comfortably be the best videogame to screen adaptation ever. That's a low bar, but still.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:10 am

Having played and really enjoyed the game (albeit a little bored by the repetitive format) I was expecting this to be a lazy rip off. However the first episode was fantastic, well cast and really captured the mood and pace of the game. Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:38 am

One of my favourite ever games, that I have played and completed on PS3, 4 and 5 recently in it's new 'Part 1' remake guise. It's a great story and was ripe for TV or a movie.

I think the adaptation is superb so far, albeit there is a bit of padding (to be expected I think) with some alterations to the story (particularly how Joel's daughter is introduced to the virus/crisis with that family she's caring for being something not referred to at all in the game). The casting feels spot on and some moments felt shot for shot from the game (particularly the car journey from Joel's house to the city).

Very impressed so far and delighted that it's getting the critical praise it deserves. Some people might look condescendingly down on a 'video game adaptation', watching this show will prove to them that if the material is good enough, it will deliver. Hopefully they do TLOU Part 2 as a season two as well, another fabulous game that got some odd criticisms on release.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:52 am

do you think the series will cover all of the first game?

I could see the first series not finishing the 1st game storyline.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:57 am

Spiral wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 am
Anyone up for a bit of full-on comparative literary criticism based on a ten second scene of a 90 minute episode of TV? Well good news, I have just that.

FULL SPOILERS for both the first game and the TV show, obviously.

Absolute banger of an opening episode. Loved it, but just one small point to critique (in a very long-winded way).
I loved the storytelling in both games, but I'm not happy with what you describe here. Sounds like the script is trying to handhold its audience. Either that, or treating them as simpletons who have to be spoon-fed.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 am

Watched the first half. Thought it was really good and sets the tone of the world really well. I think games with well told narratives such as The Last of Us and the Witcher are easier to port over to TV than say classic games of the past such as Doom and Super Mario. We'll probably see more of these cross-overs in the future.

Also re-watching the opening scenes post covid pandemic really makes you think...

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:25 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:52 am
do you think the series will cover all of the first game?

I could see the first series not finishing the 1st game storyline.
The trailers have shown the winter chapter, which is right toward the end of the game. I think you could only stretch the spring chapter that follows to two hours max, but a single episode seems more likely to me.

Assuming it follows the game closely my guess would be

Ep2. Outskirts, Capitol building
Ep3. Bill's town (Nick Offerman has been cast as Bill, so he'll take up at least one whole episode)
Ep4. Pittsburgh, Henry & Sam
Ep5. Dam/Tommy
Ep6. University
Ep7. Winter
Ep8. Winter (two episodes covering this period, which could include the story of Ellie's infection, which is placed around this time in the game)
Ep9. Spring/Finale

But who knows if they deviate from the original chronology. One thing is certain, the winter chapter is in this season, and there's not much after it the game, so I reckon it's safe to say this season will cover the whole game..
This user liked this post: clarethomer

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:41 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the strong ratings this show has been renewed for a 2nd series.

4midable

Post by 4midable » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:47 pm

Thats whats annoying so far
By playing the game everythings happening and you kno whats next

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:04 pm

Fortunately for me, being old, I didn't even know it was based on a game. Loved the first two episodes though and the lead actors are fantastic. I hope it continues in the same way.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm

Just watched episode 3.

Quite possibly one of the best episodes of TV you'll ever see.....
This user liked this post: yTib

HiThere
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by HiThere » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:35 pm

I work with a colleague in Estonia and he almost cut me off because he was going to watch The Last Of Us - git.

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm
Just watched episode 3.

Quite possibly one of the best episodes of TV you'll ever see.....
i cried. great telly.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:25 pm

Brilliant so far. It’s from the makers of the Chernobyl series which is also a must watch.

HiThere
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by HiThere » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 pm

Looking at the people who have posted I'm watching.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32 pm

Incredible how invested you could be into two characters that you’d only met an hour before. Great episode and just adding more depth to what could have been a one-dimensional series. Loving everything about this show.

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:51 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32 pm
Incredible how invested you could be into two characters that you’d only met an hour before. Great episode and just adding more depth to what could have been a one-dimensional series. Loving everything about this show.
makes it easy when you have murray bartlett and nick offerman in those roles. truly great actors.

Turftalker
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Turftalker » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:59 am

I've never played the game, but I like this kind of programme. Wow, it is great tv. Episode 3, as pointed, out is simply beautiful television. Great storytelling and you become so invested in two characters who you had never previously met. Masterful writing and acting.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:06 am

Watched the third ep last night. A brilliant episode - some of the best TV I've seen. There were certainly some tears flowing in our living room, mainly from my partner but a couple of sly ones from myself too :shock:

We've thought the series so far has been great. Hooked. It's nice to have to wait for weekly episodes like the good old days too, rather than binging a series in a week or two.

Really liked how they haven't hid that it was originally a video game through using video game like composition of scenes, such as the view from the drivers seat and the dashboard in the car in the first ep. The flooded hotel lobby gave real vibes of a video game scene too. For those that aren't into video games I wouldn't let this put you off, it's been a gripping series so far and very well put together.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 am

I have been really impressed so far. Last nights episode was not what I was expecting at all but a truly great episode of TV (quite possibly in my top ten eps of any series I’ve ever watched).

Jambounchained

Post by Jambounchained » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 am

Does anyone watch this on Sky Atlantic and find the quality to be absolutely pap?

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:46 am

The quality might be down to your internet speed?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 am

Jambounchained wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 am
Does anyone watch this on Sky Atlantic and find the quality to be absolutely pap?
I watched it on Now Tv and it was fine

Could it be your connection at fault?

Jambounchained

Post by Jambounchained » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 am
I watched it on Now Tv and it was fine

Could it be your connection at fault?

No mate, I'm watching through Sky Q - doesn't say HD on it like most other recordings. Find it a bit weird!

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 am

Massive deviation from what happens in 'Bill's town' during the game - but what a superb episode.

It's odd though, as great as it was, I felt a bit sad that two huge set pieces from the game were not shown in the adaptation (Joel getting caught in one of Bill's traps and hanging upside down, and fighting the Bloater in the school gym). I think I need to accept that some moments which were tense and exciting to play might be a bit weird in this format, but it is jarring just because it's a game I have finished (I think) 4 times across PS3, PS4 and PS5 in it's various guises.

It's a bloody good show though.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:02 pm

ArmchairDetective wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:06 am
Really liked how they haven't hid that it was originally a video game through using video game like composition of scenes, such as the view from the drivers seat and the dashboard in the car in the first ep. The flooded hotel lobby gave real vibes of a video game scene too.
The sound effect of Sarah opening the drawer in ep.1 is identical to the game, the sound effect of Joel peeling and cutting duct tape to patch up Tess in ep.2 is from the game, Joel helping Tess climb the rubble in ep.2 is directed precisely like the climbing mechanic from the game, the closing shot of ep.3, the window and curtains, is composed like the title screen of the game. All those little references are brilliant. There are deviations, for sure, but it still feels like The Last Of Us. My only grumble, and it is a small one, is the slight whitewashing of Joel. I'm okay with plot deviations, but character deviations I scrutinise a little bit more. He'd killed about twenty uninfected humans by this point in the game in trying to get Ellie to the Fireflies. He also resents his brother in the game and begrudgingly seeks him out for no other reason than to hand off Ellie, whereas in the show Joel is concerned for his brother's whereabouts. As a character I think I prefer the game's Joel to the show's, I think it fits the world better. Still an amazing show, though.

Raconteur
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by Raconteur » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:25 pm

Jambounchained wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 am
I watch it downloaded off Sky Atlantic on Sky Q. Its in 4k HDR. The quality is great.

The production is brilliant ( HBO have done a great job)

I thought the 3rd episode was great. Yes it diverged from the game but getting to watch that backstory was bloody brilliant.

4midable

Post by 4midable » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 pm

Good 5/10 mins of that eps 3 were certainly fast forwarded.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:39 am

Rubbish episode (ep.4). God I hope they don't lean too much into this settlement pish. Absolutely massive drop off in quality from the first two episodes. I didn't care as much for ep.3 as some did, but it was still alright. Tonally it's all becoming a bit fcked.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:37 am

How to rewrite ep.4 in a way that gives significant weight to a group of tertiary characters (the settlement hunting for Henry and Sam led by the woman in the coat) without giving them screen time they neither need nor deserve, time that could have been devoted to developing Joel and Ellie's relationship (or introduced Henry and Sam half an hour earlier) without overtly and bluntly demonstrating to the audience in a very on-the-nose way the brutality of the settlement's leader (the woman in the coat who looks about as dangerous as Jan who pulls pints at your local), all the while maintaining the sombre tone of the game and establishing the fact this group is a threat to the protagonists...

The settlers exist at a distance (to us, the audience. We don't see them up close). None of them are given character, their motives are expressed not by themselves (we don't need them), but through Henry and Sam's relationship to them (they're evading them). But before Henry and Sam are introduced...

Joel and Ellie enter a locked garage after the shoot-out has settled down. Joel closes the garage door as Ellie skips into the room. At the back there's a trolley full of shoes. (To the audience this is reminiscent of Auschwitz.)

Ellie (cheerfully):
"Holy $hit, look at all these shoes"

Ellie approaches the trolley and begins to look through them. Joel turns around, he sees the trolley and begins to feels sick in his stomach. His movement slows to a virtual halt

Ellie (rummaging among shoes):
"I wonder if any of these fit"

Holding a shoe, Ellie's smile slowly drops from her face, her movement becomes slower as it dawns on her what she is looking at; she slowly puts the shoe down.

Silence: all ambient sound FX muted for a moment, a pregnant pause.

Ellie now feels as sick as Joel.

Joel:
"Let's get out of here"

End scene.

In this re-write, you establish the vicious brutality of the settlers without falling back on hackneyed character tropes and uncharismatic, underwritten characters (the leader and her generic zombie-world militia), while allowing the scene to further characterise Joel and Ellie. The effect for the audience with regards the settlers is the same, more in fact, owing to the settlers remaining relatively unseen — they're a greater horror unseen, which plays on the game of cat and mouse at this point of the story felt by Joel and Ellie, and also Henry and Sam who are evading them. And we see a piece of what's left of Ellie's innocence stripped away right in front of our eyes as she learns more about the world outside the QZ, and it's a chance for the actors to emote, drawing us further in the to world through our protagonists we care about, rather than through the eyes of the settlers who are unimportant as individuals. The way I'd re-write it is efficient, more impactful than the leader's shooting of the doctor, and it allows Henry and Sam to be introduced sooner, giving more time to their characters, and the best part of it is we're not bored by a fifteen minute generic zombie-world story template.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:47 am

In fact, if I remember correctly, the game even has a scene like this, though not at this moment. Literally just do it like the game, FFS.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:58 am

Ep.4 re-write; second draft notes (lol): Ellie doesn't 'skip' into the garage, especially after a shootout, but just enough time has passed that the heightened tension of the shootout is now relieved, and she approaches the trolley with childlike curiosity and without trepidation.

SEE, I CAN DO THIS, HOW COME THE WRITERS CAN'T???!!!

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am

I don't mind them doing "filler" episodes or expanding the story if they are going to take their time with this. I'm still not sure if series 1 is wrapping up the full story of TLOU part one. At this moment I'm unsure. I'm not really bothered if they re-jig a few things about for TV flow purposes.

I'm not sure what they are going to do about TLOU part 2's storyline as if they follow that, there are going to be a lot of upset people.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 pm

Everyone up-to-date on this now the final episode has been broadcast?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 pm

Season was a bit flat, I thought. Had a very good start, probably as good a start as I could've asked for, but didn't sustain that level. All the key moments could've been more impactful. Hate to be one of 'those people', but the game is superior in literally every single way I can think of.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:20 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 pm
Everyone up-to-date on this now the final episode has been broadcast?
Yes. A modern classic. Great storytelling and great acting. It exceeded my expectations after playing the games. Can not wait for the second season although I imagine we may have to wait 18 months or so.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:26 pm

Won’t give any spoilers away but I’d never even heard of the game.. never been a ‘gamer’, so any geeky inconsistencies with that would go over my head.

Was reluctant to watch at first as I felt the zombie apocalypse stuff has been done to death, but really enjoyed it as it’s obviously about way more than that. Actually thought episodes 3 and 7 were the highlights but appreciate not for everyone.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:53 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:26 pm
Won’t give any spoilers away but I’d never even heard of the game.. never been a ‘gamer’, so any geeky inconsistencies with that would go over my head.

Was reluctant to watch at first as I felt the zombie apocalypse stuff has been done to death, but really enjoyed it as it’s obviously about way more than that. Actually thought episodes 3 and 7 were the highlights but appreciate not for everyone.
I thought three was the best of the lot but didn’t enjoy 7 as much. 7 I believe is the lowest rated episode by far with three coming in second lowest. I appreciate it wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea but lot of homophobia across social media. It’s sad to see really.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:58 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 am
It's odd though, as great as it was, I felt a bit sad that two huge set pieces from the game were not shown in the adaptation (Joel getting caught in one of Bill's traps and hanging upside down, and fighting the Bloater in the school gym).
astounded they didn't include this part. Both the games were superb

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:11 pm

i've never played the game ever but have been surprised as how not crap it's been.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 pm
Season was a bit flat, I thought. Had a very good start, probably as good a start as I could've asked for, but didn't sustain that level. All the key moments could've been more impactful. Hate to be one of 'those people', but the game is superior in literally every single way I can think of.
I've never finished the game, I got about halfway through and decided to play other games

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:39 pm

colne-claret wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:53 pm
I thought three was the best of the lot but didn’t enjoy 7 as much. 7 I believe is the lowest rated episode by far with three coming in second lowest. I appreciate it wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea but lot of homophobia across social media. It’s sad to see really.
These two storylines are more or less direct from the game, with a slight alteration/expansion of one of the game's sub-plots for ep.3 of the TV show, so the show is following the game more or less identically in terms of what it's trying to achieve with these two episodes. It is worth remembering that the game was released in 2013, which was before same-sex marriage was passed in the US (the game is made by a US studio), and this is relevant because it was around this time when representation of gay and lesbian people in media was reaching a fever pitch in anticipation of marriage equality, and one of the major driving forces of this political change was representation in media and wider culture.

There had been representation in other media for a long, long time (you could technically go right back to Sappho, lol, but I digress!) but it was one of the earlier games to unashamedly represent homosexuality at a time when all the other big, immensely popular games were all about shooting things to a million pieces more than they were tender human stories, and in this climate these two storylines were quite a significant tonal shift as far as the gaming world was concerned. But now such storylines aren't quite as politically necessary as they were then, and by that I don't mean to say there should be no non-heteronormative representation in 2023, I mean to say that mere representation doesn't carry the same political gravity as it did back then.

It's a welcome sign of progress that such a subplot doesn't have as much gravity now compared to the time of the game's release release, when, insofar as the cultural milieu was concerned, and the actual laws of the land at the time were concerned, for a game to feature homosexuality so prominently was almost a subversive act and implicitly a strong political statement about the studio's values, like a lot of politically changed art is. Not for a second am I saying TLOU achieved marriage equality, but you can't deny that the game existed as part of a cultural force which accumulated so much momentum that marriage equality's bringing about became practically an inevitability. I think you're right that there's a lot of homophobia still which informs some people's views of these episodes, but putting aside those troglodytes, for the most part homosexuality is so accepted today that a story subplot featuring it doesn't have the same gravity in 2023 as it did in 2013 — still less for a TV show, because TV and film was always way ahead of the games industry. To use an illustrative analogy, it's not a million miles off like how, say, a story where a woman is able to get a divorce from her husband and live by herself is not particularly noteworthy in and of itself today, whereas a century ago this would have been an important theme (see: Anna Karenina, for example).

I liked ep.7 though. I thought the middle episodes were rubbish, and the ending was really flat compared to what it could have been.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 pm
I've never finished the game, I got about halfway through and decided to play other games
The show doesn't really deviate in terms of plot, which is good, but the execution is way better in the game. The giraffe scene is completely mesmerising in the game. Partly owing to the medium and the design, but also partly owing to Ellie's overall mood leading up to it. After the winter chapter she's far, far more withdrawn in the game, so her being cheered up by the giraffes is more moving.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:44 am

An interesting decision regarding the final episode of the series. Not the joyous ending that I'd anticipated. I suppose it's set up season 2.

For those on here surprised at omissions of certain scenes and story lines from the game, I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see them in later series just out of the original order of the story line. It sounds as though they've largely stuck to the original story so far, but I wonder if that would start to change particularly if it ends up being commissioned for further seasons after season 2.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:46 am

I've never heard of or played the game so just been watching it like any other series and quite enjoyed it.