Weggy Watch

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Re: Weggy Watch

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:40 pm

judging by the reaction on twitter most Man Utd fans can see the bigger picture and what he brings to the team, I encourage them to continue thinking so in the hope we can turn a profit on him

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:49 pm

alf_resco wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:37 pm
Oh, right.
And there's me thinking that with Wood gone we signed him to score goals.
And United too.
Silly me, I didn't realise both clubs wanted a presser and a layer-offer.
But at 6ft 6", and playing in the centre up front, one could be forgiven for thinking that " bunging in crosses" might produce a goal or two.
As I posted higher up, that's simply not the way he was coached and developed to play. It wouldn't matter if he were 6'6 or 5'6, it's not the Dutch way, and it's not the Ten Hag way..
You're probably correct that he was signed (mistakenly) by Burnley as an out and out striker, but that's not why Ten Hag signed him. You can see that if you watch Utd play, and he had another assist today playing the role that he has been given by a top manager, who obviously rates him.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3149 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:57 pm

I've no great preference either way but I really don't get this negatively towards Weghorst.
OK, he struggled under Sean's regime but, let's face it, did alright at the World Cup. A much, much higher level.
He's gone on to United, again no duds when it comes to world football standards, to play a very specific role

United's manager is not stupid, this is a win-win for him.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum bobinho

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:03 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:57 pm
I've no great preference either way but I really don't get this negatively towards Weghorst.
OK, he struggled under Sean's regime but, let's face it, did alright at the World Cup. A much, much higher level.
He's gone on to United, again no duds when it comes to world football standards, to play a very specific role

It’s obvious the reason people hate on him because he wasn’t a Dyche signing and in effect replaced Chris Wood. He isn’t a lump like Wood. He’s a technical player and we just didn’t play at all to his strengths. Like a fish out of water with us.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie bobinho

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:04 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:57 pm

And if he continues to impress Ten Hag it's a win-win for us too.
It's quite bizarre and baffling that some of our supporters seem to want him to fail at Man U so that his sell-on value is reduced.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:24 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:04 pm
And if he continues to impress Ten Hag it's a win-win for us too.
It's quite bizarre and baffling that some of our supporters seem to want him to fail at Man U so that his sell-on value is reduced.
Never underestimate the desire some people have to be proven right.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 pm

great analysis here of the role and effectiveness of Weggy since arriving at Manyoo
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-at-no-10
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies RVclaret Colburn_Claret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:23 pm

NRC wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 pm
great analysis here of the role and effectiveness of Weggy since arriving at Manyoo
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-at-no-10
Interesting read that. Hope he continues to do well and we can be replenished with the fee we paid last Jan. Just can’t see him back with us after this stint, starting at the Nou Camp for Man United etc.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:13 pm

Always presumed he was a workhorse, slow , poor in the air, average touch , but technically good ,scores a few and can hold it up and be a handful . He reminds me a bit of a poor man’s “ peak “ Peter Crouch

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:18 pm

We’re living in an era where a goalkeeping chipping the ball over an attackers head is considered worthy of adulation so clearly a lanky lumbering forward flicking balls into space is going to be acclaimed
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:03 pm
It’s obvious the reason people hate on him because he wasn’t a Dyche signing and in effect replaced Chris Wood. He isn’t a lump like Wood. He’s a technical player and we just didn’t play at all to his strengths. Like a fish out of water with us.
What are his strengths and how would we play to them?

He had a great goal scoring record in Germany but for whatever reason he's hardly scored for either us or Man Utd over here.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:34 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:40 pm
judging by the reaction on twitter most Man Utd fans can see the bigger picture and what he brings to the team, I encourage them to continue thinking so in the hope we can turn a profit on him
Since Wout arrived, won 10 drawn 3 lost 1.

Stroke of genius by Ten haag.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:36 pm

I wonder if Utd don’t want to buy him at the end of the season whether we can market him as a lucky omen

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:40 pm

The people slagging him off on here obviously know more about football than Ten Haag.
You can't win games every week like United are doing whilst carrying passengers.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:46 pm

I hope he gets the opportunity to play in Sunday’s Cup Final , the chances must be good

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:50 pm

He's being played to do the hard yards Ronaldo wouldn't do, and the rest of his forward line don't do much of either. Anything else is a bonus. He'll keep getting games, but it's awkward viewing at times. Looks 2 yards too slow most of the time to look an attacking threat.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2254 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Good player, probably a yard to slow to make a real impact in the Prem.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:14 pm

I don't dispute he is "doing a job" for United, hold up play, running interference and increasingly defensive work.

I don't think though there is a great Premier League goal scorer in there just waiting to get out. Last half hour today he was up front getting all the service he could wish for, 6 shots and nothing.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:38 pm

There's a lot of growing respect/love for his work rate on social media.
They'd love him to score a goal, but equally they see what he's bringing to the team

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:02 pm

I don’t understand the obsession with him ? He’s a hard working donkey ,incredibly slow and poor in the air ,but clearly technically very sound and I presume links up the lazy magic of the likes of Sancho , Rash et al . Leave him to it, he doesn’t need misty eyed BFC fan boys .

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:06 pm

Not daft is he Ten Hag? He rarely even takes Wout off.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:14 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:02 pm
I don’t understand the obsession with him ? He’s a hard working donkey ,incredibly slow and poor in the air ,but clearly technically very sound and I presume links up the lazy magic of the likes of Sancho , Rash et al . Leave him to it, he doesn’t need misty eyed BFC fan boys .
The better he does the more we get when we flog him in the summer.
Not really hard to grasp
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 RVclaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:28 pm

Another good game he's worth £25m of anyone's money and easily affordable for Manure
The profit we make will pay for Bayer and Maatsen

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:53 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:28 pm
Another good game he's worth £25m of anyone's money and easily affordable for Manure
The profit we make will pay for Bayer and Maatsen
If I were a gambling man I would put big money on a deal already in place for ManU to sign Weggy for a fixed fee that is nowhere near what we paid for him i.e. no profit I’m afraid.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:09 pm

Whatever fee it'll be undisclosed, so we'll never know.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:55 am

WW steps into midfield and creates the space in behind for Rashford and Sancho, undroppable for Utd at the moment

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3864 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:35 am

He's just what's needed for Utd seeing as the rest of the forwards are all greedy sods.
He's someone that actually passes to the others.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:31 am

He's not going to score many, but his work rate and link up play is exactly what United need

Genuinely believe that far too many football fans (including a sizeable chunk at Old Trafford) have absolutely no idea about how teams work, and how each individual player is an essential part of that team

I'm not saying Weghorst is irreplaceable for United, but he's a cog in a machine that is working really well at the moment
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

spt_claret
Been Liked: 744 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:12 am

To everyone who slags off Weghorst but is praising Barnes - why?
Barnes has had a surprisingly decent season but has scored in 2 games, 1 via a penalty.
Weghorst does everything Barnes does but better and at a higher level, and without the need for the jelly legs syndrome Barnes sometimes develops.
His strengths are clear- technically capable, good touch, good chest control, excellent workrate, hard presser, clever movement, good link up play. Historically in Germany and as we saw in Qatar he can also be dangerous in the box.
His weaknesses are also clear- slow (but no slower or less mobile than Barnes), not as good in the air as you'd expect for a 6'6" striker, never going to belt one in from afar his goal threat primarily comes from well into the penalty box/6 yard box.
I must be one of the only Burnley fans hoping we don't sell him but play him next year. He'd fit like a dream in this system where our centre striker is tasked with dropping deep and bringing others into play. That's his bread and butter.
And I'm still far from convinced by any of the Dyche rhetoric around Weghorst. He was a regular starter under Dyche usually for 90 mins, it was Jackson who started subbing and benching him. All his goal contributions came under Dyche, his hard pressing high workrate fits a Dyche mould. He was referred to as having been monitored for a while and I can believe it that he was seen as a target to upgrade on Jay or Barnes, but when the Wood sale was forced that it was a case of "Okay you've got money for a striker now, you said you were looking at him, so he's who you can have" even if he wasn't an equivalent to be a Wood replacement rather than ideally partner. Right player wrong time if you will.

Just find it mad that people look at a guy who bagged a brace in a World Cup quarter final against the winners, starts for United and was only outscored by Lewandowski and Haaland in Germany and think he's not good enough for us.
These 5 users liked this post: fatboy47 ClaretRoob Lancasterclaret RVclaret GodIsADeeJay81

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am

Some valid points here “spt” and I supported him last season as I could see early on that his attributes were of benefit to Burnley’s play particularly when he linked up with Cork and Jay. The ball to feet worked well but the Westwood ball into space on the flanks didn’t work as well for WW mainly due to lack of pace at Prrmier League level.

Possibly main reason Burnley fans like Barnes better than WW is that he has always shown that he wants to battle for Burnley whereas WW prefers to look after himself as opposed to the club. Media reports have not done him any favours in that sense. Dutch bluntness sometimes comes across as arrogance which is perhaps unfair.

A lot of United fans (online!) have slagged WW but those who appreciate their manager’s view can see the bigger picture and what he can bring to their team. I don’t see much warmth towards him from the United players and rarely do they seem to pass to him unless no one else available. To be fair yesterday it looked like they were trying to help him to score but it just wasn’t happening. Hope he does ok but personally I’m unsure whether he will fit in with Burnley’s young pacy enthusiastic team as does Barnes this season.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3110 times
Has Liked: 3828 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 am

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:12 am
Just find it mad that people look at a guy who bagged a brace in a World Cup quarter final against the winners, starts for United and was only outscored by Lewandowski and Haaland in Germany and think he's not good enough for us.
I’ve been watching Weghorst since he joined United much more closely than I ever did when he was at Burnley, mainly because I was watching the team when here but I focus in on his every movement in United games that I don’t care about. I want him to do brilliantly so we can secure the best possible fee as I can’t see him coming back after the loans he’s had, nor would I want him to disrupt the team spirit we’ve built.

You’re absolutely right on his strengths. His touch is decent, his movement is good and he draws defenders to create space for others, he works hard, defends set pieces well. ETH is getting a balance in that team not seen since the Fergie era and huge kudos to him.

But he’s not so great in front of goal and looks slow when he’s linked up United’s rapid players. I can’t see him scoring a lot in the Prem if he continues at United, nevermind if he came back to us… and I think we’ll need a goalscorer up front, so I’m praying he keeps getting picked and becomes integral to that team for other reasons.

As for the Barnes comparison, I think 10 years amazingly loyal service and all the memories that’s provided are the reasons that fans will overlook him having a similar goal scoring record to Weghorst, not to mention the vital ones being against Rovers :D
These 3 users liked this post: beeholeclaret tiger76 Stayingup

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:41 am

Barnes vs Luton - ball bouncing off him in every direction - excellent
Weghorst vs Barcelona - linking play really nicely at the Nou Camp - useless

:lol:

spt_claret
Been Liked: 744 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:57 pm

beeholeclaret wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am
Possibly main reason Burnley fans like Barnes better than WW is that he has always shown that he wants to battle for Burnley whereas WW prefers to look after himself as opposed to the club. Media reports have not done him any favours in that sense. Dutch bluntness sometimes comes across as arrogance which is perhaps unfair.
This is the impression I get- the Dutch can stereotypically be very frank and unfiltered, something I actually appreciate. Weghorst is clearly a hard worker and Dyche even was commenting that he actually works too much for the team and isn't selfish enough as a striker, and it's well reported that he can be blunt in giving his teammates feedback. To me he's the exact sort of character you need but I can see how that could be misconstrued.
NewClaret wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 am
But he’s not so great in front of goal and looks slow when he’s linked up United’s rapid players. I can’t see him scoring a lot in the Prem if he continues at United, nevermind if he came back to us… and I think we’ll need a goalscorer up front, so I’m praying he keeps getting picked and becomes integral to that team for other reasons.

As for the Barnes comparison, I think 10 years amazingly loyal service and all the memories that’s provided are the reasons that fans will overlook him having a similar goal scoring record to Weghorst, not to mention the vital ones being against Rovers :D
I agree that regardless of talk of our style not needing it, every team likes a prolific striker. But the problem we face is on our budget we are unlikely to find a goalscorer at Prem level who isn't incredibly limited and unable to provide the all round play that the role requires in our current setup- look at Wood, he was a goalscorer in the Prem but rarely much else. Barnes isn't much of a goalscorer at championship level anymore and Jay had gone very cold even before his injury after a good start. I'm not confident we can find a player with an equivalent all-round profile to Weghorst who's a better scorer- again he certainly CAN score and against good teams. Never know but we'd need another scouting miracle.

And I fully agree that Barnes is a club legend, I have immense fondness for him and if anyone was going to score against Rovers it was him, I fancy him to do it at Ewood too. But setting aside sentimentality I don't think he can be argued to be a better player than Weghorst in any attribute except at the dark arts, much as I like him.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:33 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:41 am

Dear me.

NRC

Post by NRC » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:41 pm

RVclaret wrote: ↑Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:41 am

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:33 pm
Dear me.
You disagree?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm

I was really intrigued how United fans were reviewing Weghorst, an interesting thread on Red Cafe is currently raging on who was better (or worse), Odion Ighalo or Wout Weghorst:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ighalo- ... st.475724/

It seems they are very much unconvinced...

Bottom line is that Ten Hag is starting him every game, so surely he will be interested in a permanent deal regardless of fan opinion and his goals/games ratio - he seems to be happy with his overall contributions.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:47 pm

NRC wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:41 pm

You disagree?
One played on a lush pitch one on a cow patch. One played in a team of top international players, one played in a lesser team with big buggers charging into him.

The comparison isn't valid.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Stanbill05

NRC

Post by NRC » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:34 pm

Good start from Weggy

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:26 pm

claret2018
Been Liked: 818 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:35 pm

No surprise really. His goalscoring ratio is worse at Utd than it was at Burnley, which was godawful. People were saying on here he would score hatfuls at Utd with quality service into the box but it just hasn’t happened.

Some people think he’s doing a good job because he does the work of a midfielder, but he’s a striker and he would be expected to score at least a few.

Clearly not cut out for the PL so let’s hope we can flog him to a team in a b-rate league where he can go back to scoring 1 in 2.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:41 pm

NRC wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:41 pm

You disagree?
Well, the ball was bouncing off everyone else too........horrible, dry, bouncy pitch.
Worst one i've seen for quite a while, Messi would struggle on that!

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:43 pm

That was a couple of weeks back.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:45 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote: