Norwich v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Re: Norwich v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by Hipper » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:13 pm

Peacock-Farrell - 7 Did nothing wrong. I don’t feel so confident with his passing as with Muric but it was good enough.

Roberts - 8 A reliable performer these days.

Ekdal - 8 An impressive debut. Looks confident, passing very good and positioning pretty good too. He slotted in as if he’d played regularly.

Beyer - 9 As someone else mentioned this is yet another partner for him yet he not only helps them but plays exceptionally well too. Defending, quality on the ball, passing. He’s got everything to be a good defender and is now showing it.

Maatsen - 9 MoM His defending has improved, his forward play is excellent, his getting out of awkward situations pretty clever. Another talented player.

Cullen - 9 Pulls it all together by being everywhere that his colleagues need him.

Brownhill - 8 Energy personified but with some skill too. Like all our players seems to be very flexible in positioning.

Tella - 7 He looked a threat without being one. I thought he could have taken an extra second before shooting with his early opportunities so that the defenders could have committed themselves.

Zaroury - 8 Read the situation for his goal and pounced. Another who offered a threat without actually generating one but worked hard.

Barnes - 9 It seems to me he is more effective in this role then Rodriguez and fitter too. Lots of good work by him setting up situations for others.

Gudmundsson - 9 He appeared all over the pitch, not just on the left wing, including some good defensive work. He was up against Giannoulis who looks a good player but dealt with him well. I was surprised that Foster replaced him but it seemed to work.

Vitinho - 7 Didn’t offer the threat that JBG did but scored and help deal with threats down our right which was what was needed.

Foster - 6 Quiet game but did what was needed.

When I saw the line-up I wondered if this was going to be an acceptable defeat but I should no better. This team is unbelievable. A team revived under a new manager with some quality players would expect to be a tough opponent. They weren’t. That first fifteen minutes or so put them in their place and probably should have yielded more goals. They came back in it for the rest of the first half but most of their attacks seem to come from our over ambitious play rather then any deliberate attacking. In the second half we did enough without out being brilliant and for a change looked a threat from corners which was a surprise.

That’s three teams that have improved considerably under new managers that have been shown that they are still not good enough - Middlesbrough, WBA and Norwich. And we’ve beaten them in different ways. That’s another big plus in my book. Bloody brilliant!
This user liked this post: Exsus

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:12 pm

With regard to Foster I think it will take him a little longer to settle into out style of play. Late in the 2nd half we had two decent chances to cross the ball into the box but didn't for some reason. Keeping possession seemed more important. Foster was in the box both times and if I were him I'd have been a little teed off that I didn't receive any service. Sure Hanley is a monster in many ways but he was tiring and I was hoping for the ball to be swung in to give Lyle a chance for a goal on his debut. Keep at it Kyle, your chance will come.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 471 times

Post by COBBLE » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:28 pm

I know this is a ratings thread but I think the key to Ashley's brilliance is that he knows his role in a very fluid and clever system and he can do it with all these clever kids. He must love being able to show that he is a footballer rather than be expected to go on there and get the first ball or win a free kick.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:15 am

I said ages ago that we're the best team in this league by a long way and we're really proving it now. Real strength in depth for this level and once we were gifted the lead today, the win was never in doubt.

Peacock-Farrell 8 one good reaction save, distribution fine and little else of note to deal with. We've got two good keepers; glad he's stayed.

Roberts 8 doing great butt

Ekdal 8 lacks that bit of pace, as expected but this was some debut in English football. Composed, sound on the ball and a poacher's goal to boot.

Beyer 8 as we've come to expect

Maatsen 8 lovely run and ball across for Ekdal's goal. His all round game has really improved and he's vital to us now.

Cullen 9 metronome

Brownhill 8 got himself a proper yellow which seemed to knock him off the boil for a bit but he plugged away and kept our pressing rhythm

Gudmundsson 9 fully deserving of his new contract and if we can keep him fit we've retained a player at the top of his game right now

Zaroury 8 gifted the opener bit still had to finish it. It was his pressing and harrying which really shone today, keeping us up the pitch and not giving Norwich any peace.

Barnes 9 superb. If anyone wondered we didn't entertain any offers for him in the window, today was your answer. Sure, he got away with a blatant handball but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Battled, harried, made himself a nuisance, linked play, held the ball up and absolutely led by example.

Tella 7 ran himself into the ground with his pressing. Should really have bagged when he robbed their defender.

Vitinho 7 immediate impact, lovely movement to make the header

Foster 6 will take a while to get into gear as this is a clesr step up from what hes used to in Belgium but he looks lively enough

Another form team in the championship swatted aside with ease and with a number of first choice players out. Incredible stuff.

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by CryerBFC » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:16 am

BPF - 8 - Calm when needed to be, great save at 0-1, not as assured with his feet but did a good job in Muric's absence.
Roberts - 8 - Needless yellow I think but dealt with Hernandez well, and creates a lot of space for Cullen when playing out from the back.
Ekdal - 9 - Tony Adams'esque. Great debut and if it wasn't for THB's distribution, I'd argue he starts every game.
Bayer - 8 - Carried the ball out well, clean sheet, looks a lot better on left side of CH.
Maatsen 9 - MOM - Unbelievable amount of ground covered, great assist getting round the back, defensively strong, had Aarons on toast.
Cullen - 9 - Pivotal to everything we do and how we play, gets us moving and very rarely gives the ball away.
Brownhill - 8 - Much better performances come in that deeper role, I'd be looking at keeping him there now and getting the JB/JC partnership ready for the top flight.
Gudmundson - 7 - Always an option, just a steady performance.
Tella - 7 - Marked down for a few errors of judgement in releasing the ball. He starts the press, his pace is frightening and a lot of Norwich mistakes came from him buzzing about.
Zaroury - 8 - Back to his best I feel, so unpredictable, even as a fan, never know which way he's going to go and neither do defenders.
Barnes - 9 - Stellar performance, a few great defensive blocks in our area, shithousery, hold up play, a great Barnes performance.

Vitinho - 7 - Dream impact as a sub, gets a goal then does defensive work to see out the win, few fancy turns to get out of trouble too.
Foster - 6 - Like the look of his first touch but didn't have much involvement in the game. Hopefully start on Tuesday and get a goal to boost his confidence.

fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:46 am

Peacock-Farrell 8
Roberts 8
Maatsen 9
Ekdal 8
Beyer 8
Gudmundsson 8
Zaroury 8
Brownhill 8
Cullen 8
Tella 8
Barnes 9*

Vitinho 8
Foster 7

BigJay
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by BigJay » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:57 am

BPF - 7
Maatsen - 8- MOTM
Roberts - 8
Ekdal- 8
Beyer - 8
Cullen - 8
Brownhill - 8
Zaroury - 8
JBG - 8
Tella - 7
Barnes - 7

Vitinho - 8

BigJay
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by BigJay » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:00 am

Barnes 8 today, typo

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:32 am

BPF 8
Roberts 8
Maatsen 9
Ekdal 9
Beyer 9
Cullen 9
Brownhill 8
JBG 8
Tella 7
Anas 8
Barnes 9

Vitinho 8
Foster 6

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:36 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm
Yes, just looked at your marks for Peacock Farrell . An 8 ? I don't know how you can keep a straight face after all the low marks you've given Muric
While everyone else is on here to rate the players after a glorious victory, Elizabeth is here to rate other posters’ ratings. Some people on here could start an argument with the Buddha
This user liked this post: maidenover

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:16 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:53 pm
Tell me why you gave him a 10 Tony other than to make him stand out from your other markings. If you can remember how many 10s have you given this season in all our brilliant performances. Not looking for a battle , ok
I’ve already explained why I gave him a 10. And sorry, but you are clearly looking for a battle. OK.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:16 am

davideyresleftear wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:36 am
While everyone else is on here to rate the players after a glorious victory, Elizabeth is here to rate other posters’ ratings. Some people on here could start an argument with the Buddha
Absolutely. I’m sick to the back teeth of it.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:20 am

BPF 7
Roberts 8
Beyer 8
Ekdal 9
Maatsen 9
Cullen 8
Brownhill 8
Zaroury 8
Gudmundsson 8
Tella 7
Barnes 9
Vitinho 7

Nantwich Claret

Post by Nantwich Claret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:58 pm

BPF 7 One good save but very little to do otherwise
Roberts 7 good solid performance
Ekdal 9 slotted in seamlessly
Beyer 9 so good needs signing permanently
Maatsen 9 so good needs signing permanently
Cullen 9 brilliant makes us tick
Brownhill 8 good performance
Zaroury 8 took his goal well and always dangerous
Gudmundsson 9 good all round performance and 2 great set pieces
Tella 7 should have scored early doors and pressed hard
Barnes 9 once again lead the line brilliantly

Vitinho 7 great goal and did well

I think everyone was expecting a hard game but we absolutely smashed Norwich today with Ekdal slotting in well and he hardly gave Puki a kick

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:16 am
Absolutely. I’m sick to the back teeth of it.
Have you got any teeth left CT? :D

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:14 pm

Peacock-Farrell 8

Roberts 8
Ekdal 8
Beyer 9
Maatsen 9

Brownhill 8
Cullen 9
Gudmundsson 8

Zaroury 8
Barnes 9
Tella 8

Foster 6
Vitinho 8

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:07 pm
I just remembered Tony you do an excellent match day report which I look forward to reading tomorrow
Just to remind you that I retracted the post asking you to justifying your mark of 10 with the above post made more or less just afterwards.
I do recognise that if you are so upset by posters criticising others marks it must be happening too much

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:25 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:31 pm
Why not post your own ratings before criticising the ratings of others.
Fair point

BPF 8 - Good distribution and good save at a key moment
Roberts 7- Solid performance . Mark deducted for needless booking
Ekdal - 9- On this performance he is going to provide steel to the defence
Beyer- 8-. So consistent and good forward running
Maatsen 9 - Top performance highlighted by goal saving interception and
athletic assist
Cullen 8 -. Linked play up well and good passing
Brownhill 8-. I liked the way he put himself about and very nippy today
Gudmundsson 8 - Great corner deliveries leading to the goals that gave us that
comfort margin. Clever to throw the second one to the back post
Barnes 8 - May have lost his goal threat but put the Norwich defence under
pressure the whole game and one delightful cross field pass.
Finding good consistency now that he is fully fit
Zaroury 9-. I just love the way he turns defenders one way then another and
again was a real goal threat. His technique for his goal was top
class
Tella 8-. His speed constantly worried Norwich and nearly broke through
once or twice

Da Silva 8-. Dream substitution , rose well for the header and help us keep
taking the game to them
Foster 7 - Glimpses of his speed potential and good body movement and
agility. Game won by the time he got on but a good exercise to get a
feel to our play

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:33 pm

From tv and after watching the full match replay

BPF 7 one good save with his leg, the rest was fine, though his distribution is not as good Muric.
Roberts 8 good defensively and good involvement in attack
Ekdal 9 plus one for goal, another great debut, where are we finding such excellent young signings
Beyer 8 Mr Consistency, improves with every game
Maatsen 9 pure class, even though he does lose the ball sometimes
JBG 8 a joy to watch again
Cullen 8 involved in defence, midfield and attack
Brownhill 7 everywhere on the pitch
Tella 7 a constant threat
Barnes 9 I have been critical of Barnes under Dyche and at the beginning of this season. He is now playing as VK wants and his performance yesterday was exceptional
Zaroury 8 another goal, another great performance

Vitinho 7 what an entrance

Make no mistake, Norwich are one of the better teams in the Championship and today we outfootballed them and won by three goals at a stroll. Fabulous times to be a Claret.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:03 pm

BPF 7
Roberts 7
Ekdal 8
Beyer 8
Maatsen 9
Cullen 8
Brownhill 7
JBG 6
Tella 7
Zaroury 7
Barnes 7

Vitinho 7

Odd game and bar a superb opening 15 mins, we didn't really create too much. This is reflected in the xG of 1.22 (vs Norwich 0.79) but I always had the feeling we could have found more if we needed it. We were going long too frequently at the end of the first half and whilst it seemed the safer option, it was coming back too quickly. Feels strange to be saying it but we could have been a bit braver with the ball.

I much prefer JBG centrally these days but we used Tella's speed in pressing from a more central position to good effect. Foster got some useful risk free minutes which should help him get up to speed.

A very good win that dents the hopes and belief of another promotion wannabe but VK's perfectionism must be rubbing off on me.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:03 pm
Odd game and bar a superb opening 15 mins, we didn't really create too much. This is reflected in the xG of 1.22 (vs Norwich 0.79)
Where did you get your xG out of interest?

FBref has it 0.4 v 1.2.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:10 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 pm
Where did you get your xG out of interest?

FBref has it 0.4 v 1.2.
https://www.infogol.net/en/matches/resu ... -04/956206

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm
Just to remind you that I retracted the post asking you to justifying your mark of 10 with the above post made more or less just afterwards.
I do recognise that if you are so upset by posters criticising others marks it must be happening too much
I explained why I’d done it but it wasn’t good enough for you. I don’t have to justify my ratings to you but I’ve since seen it wasn’t just me you chose to have a go at.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:32 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm
Yes, just looked at your marks for Peacock Farrell . An 8 ? I don't know how you can keep a straight face after all the low marks you've given Muric
What the hell is up with you on this thread ?
You have called out at least 3 people on this thread about their ratings.
It’s embarrassing.

My ratings for yesterday
10s for everyone

The only team I have seen better than us is the 1970 World Cup winning Brazil team….and even then I think they would only beat us on pens.

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:12 pm

I too expected us to lose points to Norwich and would have settled for a draw, but this team just gets the job done.
A tremendous performance and what a time to be a claret - Can't wait for Tuesday and Saturday!!

BPF 8 - Important save at 0:1 up. Not much more to do.
Roberts 7 - Did well overall -1 for the stupid booking
Ekdal 9 - What a debut. Looks assured and slotted in very easily. Looking forward to seeing more of him at TM.
Beyer 8 - Quality and assurance. I enjoy his short runs from the back too.
Maatsen 9 (MOM) - Excellent performance. He was everywhere. His defending has improved throughout the season and great at getting forward.
JBG 8 - Enjoying his football. Great work and quality set pieces - A well earned contract extension.
Cullen 8 - Does so much of the hard work, winning second balls and keeping us ticking and moving forward
Brownhill 8 - Another very good effort from Josh - good to see him captain the side too
Tella 7 - Started very well and should have scored early on. No defender would want to play against him.
Barnes 8 - Tremendous effort from Ash. Can't underestimate his experience working with these young guns!
Zaroury 7 - A good finish. Always a threat, but lost the ball a couple of times and tired, understandably, in the second half.

Vitinho 8 - Goal at a very good time for us. He brings loads of energy to this team