If only we owned these loans... we could do a Brighton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BurnleySteve_
Been Liked: 12 times

If only we owned these loans... we could do a Brighton

Post by BurnleySteve_ » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 pm

Playing a top style of football with a bunch of young kids who will only get better.

Sadly half of them will return to their club in the summer and we will have to hit the reset button again..

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Re: If only we owned these loans... we could do a Brighton

Post by NewClaret » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:12 pm

That’s the spirit
These 2 users liked this post: HiThere longsidepies

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:15 pm

BurnleySteve_ wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 pm
Playing a top style of football with a bunch of young kids who will only get better.

Sadly half of them will return to their club in the summer and we will have to hit the reset button again..
Succession planning is already underway.
The 4 signings + in January showed that.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Spike

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:20 pm

I firmly believe that Beyer, Maatsen and Tella will be in our squad game one in the Premier League.

Looking at it objectively, Chelsea will sell Maatsen. Look at the money they’re spending, they haven’t got time to ‘give youth a chance’. Maatsen has Cucurella and Chilwell in front of him already that cost a combined £110m.

Beyer will be desperate to stay, it’s a shot at the big league - possibly his only shot. BMG are a big club, far bigger than us, but our finance will allow us to offer a number they’ll accept. They also seem to have many other CB’s already, and may well be happy to deal in any case.

Tella has effectively been told, publicly, by that little runt Jones that he’s not particularly rated by him. Again, he’ll be desperate to stay you’d think and (unless Jones is sacked, which is very possible - although I think they’re going down anyway) I imagine Southampton will be happy to sell him.

THB is a different matter and I think the signings of Ekdal and Al-Dakhil are with that in mind.
These 4 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die Quicknick timshorts FCBurnley

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 pm

Might have missed something but I've only seen some pretty honest and positive stuff from Jones re Tella. Think he said he's been doing really well here and it's best for his development to stay for now. Doubt anyone would disagree with that. Good as he's been for us, Nathan Tella isn't the answer to Southampton's woes.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 pm
Might have missed something but I've only seen some pretty honest and positive stuff from Jones re Tella. Think he said he's been doing really well here and it's best for his development to stay for now. Doubt anyone would disagree with that. Good as he's been for us, Nathan Tella isn't the answer to Southampton's woes.
Although judging by the lack of tracking back from their centre midfield in the last few games I’d be more confident with him starting there given the commitment he’s shown for us.
This user liked this post: quoonbeatz

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:14 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 pm
He’s certainly been honest, I personally found this (below) a bit too honest publicly though:

"But with the greatest of respect, for him to come back and do that at Premier League level, we are not sure. We've got people like Adam Armstrong who have been prolific at Championship level…”

Whilst it’s obviously a true statement (I.e, no guarantees he can be as effective a level higher), it seemed to pour a bit of cold water on Jones opinion of his PL credentials, and compared him to Armstrong who has been anything but a success there. I read it a bit as ‘well, he scored 20+ in that league and look at him, he’s been pretty useless in this league hasn’t he?’.

Just how I interpreted it personally.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:21 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:14 am
He’s certainly been honest, I personally found this (below) a bit too honest publicly though:

"But with the greatest of respect, for him to come back and do that at Premier League level, we are not sure. We've got people like Adam Armstrong who have been prolific at Championship level…”

Whilst it’s obviously a true statement (I.e, no guarantees he can be as effective a level higher), it seemed to pour a bit of cold water on Jones opinion of his PL credentials, and compared him to Armstrong who has been anything but a success there. I read it a bit as ‘well, he scored 20+ in that league and look at him, he’s been pretty useless in this league hasn’t he?’.

Just how I interpreted it personally.
The rest of the quote though said that they need something different, is which I think is absolutely right. Either way it doesn't really matter, he's doing great for us so I'm more than happy for them to not want him back.
This user liked this post: jedi_master

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by CryerBFC » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:34 am

I think Jedi hits the nail on the head here.

The only concern is Maatsen for me, if he keeps putting in performances like he has been, a few bigger clubs may well just be sniffing around him. Lets hope that VK can convince him to stay with us.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:59 am

BurnleySteve_ wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 pm

Kompany has attracted this level of talent to the Championship...........imagine what he'll be able to do in a few months time
This user liked this post: HiThere

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:58 am

Wout will fund our loan buys.

I think THB will be loaned again to us.

No panic for next year. Will be tough but we have time now. Not doing all our business this summer will be the best bit of business we do I imagine

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:05 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:20 pm
I firmly believe that Beyer, Maatsen and Tella will be in our squad game one in the Premier League.

Looking at it objectively, Chelsea will sell Maatsen. Look at the money they’re spending, they haven’t got time to ‘give youth a chance’. Maatsen has Cucurella and Chilwell in front of him already that cost a combined £110m.

Beyer will be desperate to stay, it’s a shot at the big league - possibly his only shot. BMG are a big club, far bigger than us, but our finance will allow us to offer a number they’ll accept. They also seem to have many other CB’s already, and may well be happy to deal in any case.

Tella has effectively been told, publicly, by that little runt Jones that he’s not particularly rated by him. Again, he’ll be desperate to stay you’d think and (unless Jones is sacked, which is very possible - although I think they’re going down anyway) I imagine Southampton will be happy to sell him.

THB is a different matter and I think the signings of Ekdal and Al-Dakhil are with that in mind.
Comprehensive post. I think 'this' is the modern terminology.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:23 am

I don’t think the prospect of getting THB back next season is that unrealistic if we’re in the Premier League.

He’s still very young (only turned 21 last week) and is unlikely to break into the City side next season. Throw in the fact that we play a style of football which will help prepare him for City’s first team and the Kompany connection and another season long loan seems entirely possible.

The only question is whether or not we’re going to need him having recently signed two centre halves, particularly if we are able to sign Beyer permanently.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:25 am

Should also have said same with Maatsen. Another good year out on loan, but this time in the PL, could be good for all parties.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 am

If it came down to one or the other with THB or Beyer I think I’d (just about) be going for THB. English, slightly younger and unique passing ability makes his resale value (and ceiling) higher imo.

Tella I’m not overly concerned about, I believe Obafemi is his replacement. Would like us to go all out for Maatsen as a priority, but failing him I can see us getting Kompany’s ex Anderlecht star Sergio Gomez on loan from City (apparently will be available).

Either way, we will continue to attract more top quality youngsters, be it on loan or permanent.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:15 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:23 am
I don’t think the prospect of getting THB back next season is that unrealistic if we’re in the Premier League.

He’s still very young (only turned 21 last week) and is unlikely to break into the City side next season. Throw in the fact that we play a style of football which will help prepare him for City’s first team and the Kompany connection and another season long loan seems entirely possible.

The only question is whether or not we’re going to need him having recently signed two centre halves, particularly if we are able to sign Beyer permanently.
Agree with all of this except on the final point, I can't see us playing 2 centre backs and such attacking fullbacks in the Prem. Can see us switching to a back 3 and two wingbacks in which case Beyer/Ekdal/THB would be the obvious selection.

I'd prioritize retaining Beyer, then Maatsen, on permanent deals, would like THB but don't see it happening and if forced I'd probably pick Beyer for now (even if THB might have higher resale value). I like Tella and would keep him given the chance, but I am concerned he's in that gray zone of too good for the Championship but struggling in the Prem, and he needs to cut out the falling over. But I'd still want to hang onto him if possible as he's been good for us and still young enough to step up.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:17 pm

The chance of Nathan Jones being in a position to make a decision on Tella's future come the summer is only very, very slightly above zero.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:22 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:15 pm
Agree with all of this except on the final point, I can't see us playing 2 centre backs and such attacking fullbacks in the Prem. Can see us switching to a back 3 and two wingbacks in which case Beyer/Ekdal/THB would be the obvious selection.

I'd prioritize retaining Beyer, then Maatsen, on permanent deals, would like THB but don't see it happening and if forced I'd probably pick Beyer for now (even if THB might have higher resale value). I like Tella and would keep him given the chance, but I am concerned he's in that gray zone of too good for the Championship but struggling in the Prem, and he needs to cut out the falling over. But I'd still want to hang onto him if possible as he's been good for us and still young enough to step up.
Tella’s weakness is mainly his decision making. The instance where he robbed McLean of the ball yesterday is a good example. He rushes the shot a bit, but potentially could have taken it in a few yards or held it and laid on a simple chance to the two mates who were coming in to support him.
This user liked this post: spt_claret

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:44 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:22 pm
Tella’s weakness is mainly his decision making. The instance where he robbed McLean of the ball yesterday is a good example. He rushes the shot a bit, but potentially could have taken it in a few yards or held it and laid on a simple chance to the two mates who were coming in to support him.
Spot on. He has a habit of making the wrong decision when given time or options, several times hangs onto the ball instead of spotting the pass. But it's something I'd hope comes with experience and coaching so it's why I'd still want to sign him.
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret simonclaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:07 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:44 pm
Spot on. He has a habit of making the wrong decision when given time or options, several times hangs onto the ball instead of spotting the pass. But it's something I'd hope comes with experience and coaching so it's why I'd still want to sign him.
Agree - you’d really hope mistakes like yesterday get coached out of him.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 561 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:32 pm

Can see us signing all 4
THB - 10-15mil with a buy back clause or a loan
Maatsen - 10mil with but back clause or a loan
Beyer - if the option is true the athletic reported 8mil
Tella - if Southampton go down then there’s a deal there for 10mil id say
This user liked this post: whiffa

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:44 pm

I’d love us to sign all 4 loans permanently

Maatsen has the potential to be an elite level player as he’s got everything aside from height. Outstanding technique on the ball, bags of pace, goals and assists, and lots of football intelligence (he regularly swaps between a full back, a third centre back and a centre mid during a game). I’d spend big on him.

Beyer to me would be a comfortable PL level player in a system like ours.

Harwood-Bellis was just fabulous before his injury and clearly has potential to become a PL player for many years, but probably not at the elite level with City.

Tella I would like to sign as a squad player for his invaluable pace and infectious enthusiasm.

The problem is we’re talking tens of millions to sign those 4 and it could well be our whole summer budget. We definitely need at least more central midfielder on top of that, so some difficult choices will need to be made.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:13 pm

I may be wrong, but I'd guess we'd have more chance of getting Tella if Southampton stay up.
Jones can see how good he is in the Championship.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:12 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:58 am
Wout will fund our loan buys.

I think THB will be loaned again to us.

No panic for next year. Will be tough but we have time now. Not doing all our business this summer will be the best bit of business we do I imagine
We are more likely to get some of the outstanding loan players to come back than find someone daft enough to pay a lot for Wout

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:17 am

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:22 pm
I wouldn't call that a mistake. His shot was on target and I think would have beaten Krul, though of course that can't be proved. Hanley wasn't likely to make the block, though as it happened he did; I reckon that shot had a very high chance of going in. Passing up a high probability chance in the hope of a better one is usually a mistake IMO.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:32 pm
Can see us signing all 4
That’d be some spending, particularly when it’s highly likely that we will need to spend reasonably big or very cleverly on the midfield.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:04 am

Spike wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:12 pm
We are more likely to get some of the outstanding loan players to come back than find someone daft enough to pay a lot for Wout
Dutch Manager, Dutch Player.

Think he will do ok there. Man Utd do pay daft money for players.

Can't see him playing for us again if he is maintaining a 1st team squad presence at Utd - but could be quite easily wrong.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:12 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 am
If it came down to one or the other with THB or Beyer I think I’d (just about) be going for THB. English, slightly younger and unique passing ability makes his resale value (and ceiling) higher imo.

Tella I’m not overly concerned about, I believe Obafemi is his replacement. Would like us to go all out for Maatsen as a priority, but failing him I can see us getting Kompany’s ex Anderlecht star Sergio Gomez on loan from City (apparently will be available).

Either way, we will continue to attract more top quality youngsters, be it on loan or permanent.
3 months ago I would agree about THB, but the way Beyer surges forward with the ball, when he has no out option is brilliant. Both of their long passing can be hit and miss. It's a very tight call imo, but I would think IF we were to buy either on a permanent deal Beyer would be a lot cheaper.
Ekdal ad Al-Dhakil (hope I got that right), show they have something about them, and will only get better from time on the pitch. So as much as I like THB, absolutely brilliant for his age, he imo is the most expendable of all the loanees.

Tella shows he still has a lot to learn. His first touch can go from the ridiculous to the sublime, and his choice of option isn't always great, but he has a massive heart, and I love the way he enjoys his football here. That smile is infectious. I would love to get him on a permanent, because I think VK can get even more out of him, and he shouldn't be too expensive. We also have Obafemi and Foster for a good competition there.

Maatsen is the hardest to tie down, started off really well, and has only improved over recent weeks. You can see why VK persisted with him over CT early doors, to unlock that potential. Chelsea will definitely sell, I went on the Shed End, and he doesn't get a mention anywhere, he means nothing to the fans or the management. The problem is Chelsea will still want top dollar, and there will likely be a lot of competition for him. Fingers crossed VK can convince him to stay.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:32 pm
Can see us signing all 4
I’d be walking away from Tella and THB at those prices and would be on the fence about Maatsen.

Given the cost of our other recruits, that clearly illustrates there’s better value abroad.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 am
That’d be some spending, particularly when it’s highly likely that we will need to spend reasonably big or very cleverly on the midfield.
That spend would literally put us even from all the sales in last 12 months

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:15 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 am
I’d be walking away from Tella and THB at those prices and would be on the fence about Maatsen.

Given the cost of our other recruits, that clearly illustrates there’s better value abroad.
You’d walk away from THB at 10-15mil? Each to their own but England u21 captain been at city learning from the best, I think that would be good value for money.

Tella at 10mil might be expensive but we have spent 8mil on foster, tella with prem experience and a good season under his belt, I still think would be good business