Ex - QEGS pupils ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Ex - QEGS pupils ...

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:10 am

I know there are several ex-QEGS pupils who post/watch on here, and I thought I'd share the sad news of the passing of David Hopkinson, who served the School in various capacities for 46 years. He died unexpectedly, I understand at the relatively young age of 72. Whilst a " Rovers " man to his very core, he was a brilliant teacher and tutor over many years, and after retirement, served as the Clerk to the Governors at QEGS, a position he held until his untimely passing.

Speaking personally, David was my 6th Form Tutor from 1980-82, and without his guidance, I suspect I would never have gone to University. I owe him a debt of gratitude. This is what I posted on his on-line " Obituary " page ...

" David ( Mr H ) was my 6th Form Tutor at Queen Elizabeth's between 1980-82, as well as my British Govt. & Politics " A " Level Teacher. In those rather less " regulated " days, he steered a fine line between a steely determination to get down to serious work and an amused tolerance of various " high jinks ". When the discovery of an illicit still, assembled by a couple of 5th formers hidden in the Scout Hut was made known, he declared himself " Shocked ! ", although the twinkle in his eye, and the smile playing across his lips perhaps revealed a grudging admiration for their ingenuity ...

Our Tutor group included some great characters, who've gone on to do well for themselves, and on one occasion, Mr H. was handing out some homework essays that he'd marked, with his usual critiques, " A little light on section A, you need to develop section B further etc ". He then came to David Skidmore, " Good heavens, David ! I've given you a B+ for this, I must have been drunk when I marked this ! "

As quick as a flash, and with a comic timing of which Eric Morecambe or Peter Kay would be proud, young Skidmore replied, " That's quite apt, Mr H. , I was bladdered when I wrote it ! ".

So sad to hear this news ... RIP Mr.H ! "

https://davidhopkinson.muchloved.com/
This user liked this post: Quicknick

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: Ex - QEGS pupils ...

Post by ChrisG » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:22 am

Ah, that's sad news. He was an excellent teacher, and I recall him guiding the first XI to ISFA cup success at the Deva Stadium circa 1995/96.

shulgin
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by shulgin » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:49 am

Really sad news. Top bloke and teacher. Used to bump into him for a chat but haven't seen him for around five years.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:33 am

Really saddened to hear this. David take me English when I was in my second year and I remember him with great affection. You’re spot on regarding the fine line between the need to learn and a tolerant classroom atmosphere. Only a handful of teachers really get the balance right and David was certainly one of them.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:34 am

Sorry about the spelling of taught , if your watching, Dave.

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:23 am

Sad news indeed.Although I was at QEGS from 78-84,I never had him as a teacher,but I remember him being one of the ones you wanted at the start of every year,unlike many I could mention. RIP.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:24 am

“If you are watching Dave” - he was an English teacher after all!

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:37 am

ChrisG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:22 am
Ah, that's sad news. He was an excellent teacher, and I recall him guiding the first XI to ISFA cup success at the Deva Stadium circa 1995/96.
I was there, watching "Mr Hop's barmy army" ;)

Had a video of the crowd shouting "Statto" at me when i went for a pie :lol:

RIP
This user liked this post: ChrisG

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:37 am
I was there, watching "Mr Hop's barmy army" ;)

Had a video of the crowd shouting "Statto" at me when i went for a pie :lol:

RIP
Haha, yes I suspect I was definitely involved in that chanting (sorry).

I texted my mate from 'Bus 1' this morning who reliably informed me that it was a Michael McVerry header late on that won the match one nil for Mr Hop's barmy army.

I can still remember Mr H with the trophy. What a top bloke. RIP.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 am

ChrisG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 am
Haha, yes I suspect I was definitely involved in that chanting (sorry).

I texted my mate from 'Bus 1' this morning who reliably informed me that it was a Michael McVerry header late on that won the match one nil for Mr Hop's barmy army.

I can still remember Mr H with the trophy. What a top bloke. RIP.
Haha no worries i had the game on VHS for years! Sadly it went the way of other VHS tapes when i moved here

WestWiltsDave
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by WestWiltsDave » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:01 pm

Sad to hear this. Dave was my tutor 1978-80 and I'm in one of the muchloved.com photos which brought back memories. As others have said he got the balance between being a great bloke and respected teacher spot on.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:01 pm

Hi all,

I have been asked by a few of my exiled ex QEGS friends to " represent " them at David's funeral, which I hope to attend.
I thought I should type up a list to enclose in the card I shall be giving to the family , giving their names.

Should any posters on this board wish me to do the same, can you please e-mail me below. Please feel free to forward my details on to any of your contacts and I'll happily do likewise and add them to the list. A note of your years at QEGS, ie ( 1988 - 1995 ) would be a helpful touch, and perhaps a maiden name, if appropriate.

memphis555@hotmail.com
This user liked this post: addisclaret

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:00 pm

I forget who it is that posts on here who's ex QEGS, with initials " SW ", but I understand you ran into " Beehole Claret " in the Miners yesterday !!