In Your Northern Slum

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
St Austell Claret
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 401 times

In Your Northern Slum

Post by St Austell Claret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:23 am

Having watch lots of pre match bits and Luton vlogs, I find it alitte bit rich of that **** of a club, who I may say are are punching well above their national league sath limit. What a horrible team, what a horrible place. Tommy Robinson is welcome to the f**King place.

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Re: In Your Northern Slum

Post by yTib » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:16 am

cant believe this thread wasnt started by rowls.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am

a93d3d09bca7720e591bc93fc3202f1d.jpg
a93d3d09bca7720e591bc93fc3202f1d.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmik Leisure

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:39 am

I’ve spent time in Luton, it makes Burnley look like Alderley Edge.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

GrahamBranchsPerm
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:57 am

I actually live in Alderley Edge these days but obviously immensely proud of our Burnley roots.

Always makes me giggle when we get called on the state of Burnley. Nothing wrong with Burnley and surrounding areas are very nice indeed, and we get alot more for our cash.

Fair play to Luton, they do have a bit of history and would be as big' as say Brentford if they had that type of ground.

Just footy banter, although many of the fans of the Southern clubs whose fans have not left the South do believe what they sing.

UTC
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:28 am

Don't normally like to diss where people live but can make an exception for Luton - jeez what an unpleasant dump with a football ground to match it :-(

Went to the Wetherspoons for breakfast about 9am before driving back 'oop north'- it was like being on the set of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video.
This user liked this post: Leisure

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:37 am

Have to say apart from Lorraine Chase there is little else to remember Luton for. Could not get out of the ground and town quick enough yesterday

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:37 am

Well, yesterday was my first visit to the township of Luton, and when this song was sung I could not do anything but laugh. I didn’t see the centre (parked at Sainsbury’s on the road below), but the area around the ground was absolutely awful.

Pre-conceptions about Burnley held by Southerners are funny. You visit most of these pits in the areas around (and in) London that are filthy, run down and have insane house prices with little or no garden and (whilst I live in Derbyshire rather than Lancashire) I enjoy a wry smile at the benefits I enjoy in my Northern Slum.

johnnyjones
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by johnnyjones » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:38 am

Guess there is a reason they made it to number one :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/t ... e-29162459

Vincent'sCap
Been Liked: 239 times

Post by Vincent'sCap » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:42 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:37 am
Have to say apart from Lorraine Chase there is little else to remember Luton for. Could not get out of the ground and town quick enough yesterday
The wonderful Eric Morecambe
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:47 am

GrahamBranchsPerm wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:57 am
Always makes me giggle when we get called on the state of Burnley. Nothing wrong with Burnley and surrounding areas are very nice indeed, and we get alot more for our cash.
We drove down Colne Rd yesterday to avoid the temporary traffic lights (yet again) on Eastern Avenue and the litter around the KFC/Lidl area puts the town to shame. It was like driving through a rubbish dump. It's always bad around there and makes the whole place look like a slum where nobody cares. 45 councillors in this town. Surely some of them must drive along Colne Rd from time to time and see what I'm seeing?

It's all fine and well hiring a private company to issue fixed penalty notices to OAPs for dropping a few crumbs of their Greggs sausage rolls on the floor while walking through the town centre, meanwhile we have one of the main thoroughfares into town looking like a man-made bombsite. How about getting some of those "zero tolerance" litter patrols around Colne Rd? I won't hold my breath.

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:03 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:47 am
We drove down Colne Rd yesterday to avoid the temporary traffic lights (yet again) on Eastern Avenue and the litter around the KFC/Lidl area puts the town to shame. It was like driving through a rubbish dump. It's always bad around there and makes the whole place look like a slum where nobody cares. 45 councillors in this town. Surely some of them must drive along Colne Rd from time to time and see what I'm seeing?

It's all fine and well hiring a private company to issue fixed penalty notices to OAPs for dropping a few crumbs of their Greggs sausage rolls on the floor while walking through the town centre, meanwhile we have one of the main thoroughfares into town looking like a man-made bombsite. How about getting some of those "zero tolerance" litter patrols around Colne Rd? I won't hold my breath.
Controversial comment but the majority of people living in that area are not from Burnley.
This user liked this post: Tw@

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:03 pm

GrahamBranchsPerm wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:57 am
Just footy banter, although many of the fans of the Southern clubs whose fans have not left the South do believe what they sing.

Perhaps my very favourite example was a documentary about Milwall fans, who were discussing going to fight with those Northern bar stewards in........... Bristol

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:37 am
Well, yesterday was my first visit to the township of Luton, and when this song was sung I could not do anything but laugh. I didn’t see the centre (parked at Sainsbury’s on the road below), but the area around the ground was absolutely awful.

Pre-conceptions about Burnley held by Southerners are funny. You visit most of these pits in the areas around (and in) London that are filthy, run down and have insane house prices with little or no garden and (whilst I live in Derbyshire rather than Lancashire) I enjoy a wry smile at the benefits I enjoy in my Northern Slum.
Shsh Jedi, southerners might be reading.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:09 pm

When we play Monaco in the Europa League, its will be the only time opposition fans have sung what a dive Burnley is compared to where they live where you can go

"Yeah, fair enough"
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:33 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:09 pm
When we play Monaco in the Europa League, its will be the only time opposition fans have sung what a dive Burnley is compared to where they live where you can go

"Yeah, fair enough"
Never been to Cheltenham or Forest Green, I suspect I might be slightly envious if I did.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:15 pm

yTib wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:16 am
cant believe this thread wasnt started by rowls.
Have you been outside to catch some fresh air yTib? Might be a good idea.

All the best,

Rowls

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:24 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:

Time to bring back those "Public information films".....they had them in the 60's.
I'm pretty sure they helped stop littering.
Young people need a reason why they shouldn't do it.
Either that or slap offenders with community service & make them clean it up.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:25 pm

fanzone wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:03 pm
Controversial comment but the majority of people living in that area are not from Burnley.
Controversial if you are choosing to ignore certain parts of the tableau that's in front your eyes, the fact that the majority live away is the secondary distractor, burnley is the sole aim that said with any town you get the good & the bad & duke bar doesn't paint the whole picture.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:38 pm

Luton recently beat Slough in a poll as to the worst place to live in Britain

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:39 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:24 pm
Time to bring back those "Public information films".....they had them in the 60's.
Heavy fines, and if you reoffend or don't pay, you get community service. If the council do nothing, nothing will change. They have to consistently target problems areas with covert litter patrols and publicise the results.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:22 pm

Thursday we had storm Otto, and the next day there's litter everywhere. You couldn't make it could you.

Friday is our bin day, locally, and I was driving around wheelie bins lying in the middle of the road at 6am.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:24 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:39 pm
Heavy fines, and if you reoffend or don't pay, you get community service. If the council do nothing, nothing will change. They have to consistently target problems areas with covert litter patrols and publicise the results.
Honestly if that's how people want to live I'd leave them to it, you are wasting your time trying to make something look nice when some people don't have any respect for it, let them live with the rats that's all they are fit for, the decent 1s I'd look to move them if they want to move.
This user liked this post: Tw@

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:36 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:24 pm
You mean like the "Charlie says" films?

The problem being that these days the younger generation would take Charlie as meaning something different. :lol:
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:45 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:

Then why didn’t you get out of your car and pick some litter up? Another little job for you - do an FOI to the Council and they will just confirm you ignorance about not only where they patrol but who they give tickets to.
This user liked this post: welsbyswife

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:49 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:39 pm
You really showing yourself up today! The Council can’t (by law!) impose a fine, nor do they have the powers to impose Community Service! You seem to be confused about the roles that public bodies have.

Covert litter patrols? How would that work, hiding behind bushes and cars ready to jump out? Lol

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:58 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:36 pm
You mean like the "Charlie says" films?

The problem being that these days the younger generation would take Charlie as meaning something different. :lol:
I remember the "Public enemy number one" films with a guy running around spreading litter everywhere. Not sure about Charlie....was that the swimming one.
Reginald Mole-husband reversing his car being my all-time favourite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdkc-7J41Is
This is a re-creation of the original which is lost...same audio.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:58 pm

And what’s the Greggs thing all about? Fixed penalty notices for dropping crumbs?

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:09 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:58 pm
I remember the "Public enemy number one" films with a guy running around spreading litter everywhere. Not sure about Charlie....was that the swimming one.
Reginald Mole-husband reversing his car being my all-time favourite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdkc-7J41Is
This is a re-creation of the original which is lost...same audio.
You don't remember the Charlie says films? The Prodigy even made a track from a sample of it.
It was a cartoon of a young lad and his quite frankly scary looking cat.
His cat would warn him not to do things by making a weird noise and wobbling his head...such as not to go off with strangers etc...and the young lad would say "Charlie says....." Pretty sure there was a littering/environmental one.

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:14 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:09 pm
You don't remember the Charlie says films? The Prodigy even made a track from a sample of it.
It was a cartoon of a young lad and his quite frankly scary looking cat.
His cat would warn him not to do things by making a weird noise and wobbling his head...such as not to go off with strangers etc...and the young lad would say "Charlie says....." Pretty sure there was a littering/environmental one.
I do now!

Another one was "Ooo look at that little boat Petunia...look the man is waving"
about calling the life guard.....
Rolf Harris did a swimming one too.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:49 pm
You showing yourself up today! The Council can’t (by law!) impose a fine, nor do they have the powers to impose Community Service! You seem to be confused about the roles that public bodies have.

Covert litter patrols? How would that work, hiding behind bushes and cars ready to jump out? Lol
Councils can impose fines and do so through FPN.

Yes, CS is through the courts. Littering is a criminal offence and the law has to be changed to make persistant offenders think twice.

Councils carry out covert activity all the time. How do you think they catch fly-tippers and people committing council tax fraud regarding single-person discounts?

As for showing myself up. Well that's debatable, but quite frankly my dear, I couldn't give a toss. This is a talkboard, not the Oxford Debating Society.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:49 pm

fanzone wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:03 pm
Can people from the area concerned ever be “from Burnley”, for instance if their grandparents or great grandparents migrated to Burnley?
Just interested as someone who was born in Burnley and considers himself to be a Burnleyite from head to toe.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
You really showing yourself up today! The Council can’t (by law!) impose a fine, nor do they have the powers to impose Community Service! You seem to be confused about the roles that public bodies have.

There was a TV programme a couple of years ago about litter, based in pendle. It showed council employees covertly watching people littering, then issuing them with fines

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:35 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm
There was a TV programme a couple of years ago about litter, based in pendle. It showed council employees covertly watching people littering, then issuing them with fines
I think they do have the powers to do that it's when that person refuses to pay the fine the council goes to a higher power such as the courts to deal with the matter, at first instance the council can fine whether the courts don't get involved depends on the person receiving the fine whether they decide to pay before the summons.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:31 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm

Yes, CS is through the courts. Littering is a criminal offence and the law has to be changed to make persistant offenders think twice.

Councils carry out covert activity all the time. How do you think they catch fly-tippers and people committing council tax fraud regarding single-person discounts?

As for showing myself up. Well that's debatable, but quite frankly my dear, I couldn't give a toss. This is a talkboard, not the Oxford Debating Society.
an FPN isn’t a fine, that’s why it’s called a fixed penalty notice and not a fine! To do covert surveillance a Council would need to make an application to the Magistrates Court for permission, you are perhaps confusing it with overt surveillance which is when they put a sign up saying “This area is covered by CCTV”.

The maximum sentence for littering is a financial penalty however persistent they are. You are right though. It is a talk board but it helps if you don’t just talk ****.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:33 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm
Standing around watching or waiting for someone to drop litter isn’t covert that’s just being “on patrol” unless they deliberately hiding or filming with hidden cameras

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:06 am

There isn’t much of a difference between a FPN & a fine apart from you can choose to go to court & have your say rather than just accept it & paying. Either way with a fine or a FPN if the grounds to appeal aren’t strong you’ll end up losing.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:38 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm

Council Covert surveillance falls under the regulation of investigation powers act 2000 shortened to RIPA how often applications are granted would be accessed through the freedom of information act, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if covert activities were on the increase for the money spent & the money needed to recoup.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:03 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:45 pm
Then why didn’t you get out of your car and pick some litter up?
Burnley Ace wrote:
You really showing yourself up today!
Burnley Ace wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:31 pm
It is a talk board but it helps if you don’t just talk ****.
Yes, it's a talkboard. A talkboard you apparently struggle to use without being patronising or hurling insults. Now, it would be easy to respond in kind, but I won't. However, it's no wonder that threads on here quickly descend into bunfights, and end up getting locked, with people like you around.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 am

Those singing it on Saturday are obviously led to the ground blindfolded.

Watford is probably the nicest part of Luton. I always enjoy an away day there, I like the away end but the area is a complete dump.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:09 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:03 am
Yes, it's a talkboard. A talkboard you apparently struggle to use without being patronising or hurling insults. Now, it would be easy to respond in kind, but I won't. However, it's no wonder that threads on here quickly descend into bunfights, and end up getting locked, with people like you around.
Highlighting your ignorance isn’t being insulting. Correcting your misinformation isn’t being patronising, though I could see it being a full time job 😀

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:14 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 pm
Shsh Jedi, southerners might be reading.
Oh don't worry they are making themselves at home in Northumberland.... Selling their Southern Slums for vast amounts if money and
buying 4 bed detached new builds up here. Seriously it's upsetting the locals. It's getting like Cornwall where young uns born and bred here can't afford to buy.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:38 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 am
Those singing it on Saturday are obviously led to the ground blindfolded.

Watford is probably the nicest part of Luton. I always enjoy an away day there, I like the away end but the area is a complete dump.
You might get lost getting there with Watford being in Hertfordshire & Luton being in Bedfordshire.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:40 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:38 am
You might get lost getting there with Watford being in Hertfordshire & Luton being in Bedfordshire.
Really ? cheers for that must have got lucky on Saturday.

Just to help you though, it was slightly tongue in cheek, like saying Blackpool is the nicest part of Preston or Chester is the nicest part of Wrexham.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:47 am

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:40 am
Really ? cheers for that must have got lucky on Saturday.

Just to help you though, it was slightly tongue in cheek, like saying Blackpool is the nicest part of Preston or Chester is the nicest part of Wrexham.
That makes sense you can really draw similarities with geography when getting counties completely wrong your Preston & Blackpool seemed to match.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:47 am
That makes sense you can really draw similarities with geography when getting counties completely wrong your Preston & Blackpool seemed to match.
Does us a favour will ya ? Bore someone else it is too early for trolls

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:00 am

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 am
Does us a favour will ya ? Bore someone else it is too early for trolls
I'm struggling to understand your logic, ok then Shrewsburys a nice part of Gloucester :? I can see where you are coming from with your ideas.