If you could go back to the end of last season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

If you could go back to the end of last season

Post by Croydon Claret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:41 pm

Would you have preferred that we stayed up, under whatever manager we might have had, or experienced this season in the Championship?

A season at the top level of English football, perhaps struggling,versus kicking ass but in the level below?

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Re: If you could go back to the end of last season

Post by Goalposts » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:48 pm

Experienced this by a long way

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 pm

Would have been much tougher to rebuild if we stayed up. Think we needed a season like this to get the excitement/buzz back around the club.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 pm

It’s all a bit in hindsight given our success but relegation has been a blessing in disguise. It’s almost impossible to re-model a club/squad like we have in the PL, even with big bucks (look at Chelsea). For a fan base to get reconnected with the club it’s been great, then there’s the refreshing year of enjoying dominating matches, winning games and all without VAR.

On the flip side I wanted us to stay in the PL, of course, knowing the financial benefits vs how challenging it might have been to get promoted, given the changes we had upcoming.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 pm

No is the obvious answer especially if we look at where we are
now. If we'd stayed up we would have struggled again.
How we will fare in the premiership next season is anybody's guess.

But at the end of last season no one could have predicted how well
we would perform in the Championship especially with all the changes.
Can't recall many clarets predicting we would be top by 13 points with 10 games to go.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:54 pm

Yes hindsight is the key thing. Don't think anybody would have chosen relegation but it's become one of the best seasons ever, with the hope that 1 year on we might be better than the tean that came down

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:54 pm

Possibly a controversial comment but...

The last few games have been boring, the end of last season we had a challenge.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm

Probably wouldn't have Vinny at the helm now if we'd stayed up.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 pm

fanzone wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:54 pm

It's a good point, the atmosphere is pretty flat in the ground at the minute. It's now more clear why the atmosphere is always crap at the Etihad etc where the home team are just expected to win every game comfortably.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 pm

I work with a Leeds fans and he wishes they got relegated instead of us after seeing our season. I think it would have been too hard to rebuild in the premier league, especially for it to be as effective as it has been this season. This has been my favourite season ever watching Burnley, it helped me get my love for football back (which had gone during the later Dyche era). Haven’t missed VAR one bit. Annoying that it’s back next season.

So no wouldn’t change anything about this season. It’s been fantastic.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:02 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm
Probably wouldn't have Vinny at the helm now if we'd stayed up.
From Vinny's comments pre-season it seems like he was set to take over regardless of the division we were in. Like others have said though, the rebuild would have been much more difficult in the Premier League. Keeping the team in the Premier League will be the ultimate test as to whether going down was a good thing, but in terms of entertainment value it's a no-brainer of a question.

rincon
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by rincon » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:08 pm

When we sacked Sean, a Blackburn supporting mate of mine asked what I thought. I said it was a disaster, we'll get relegated, all our best players will sod off and we'll be left with half a team and no manager and I expect us to go down again the season after.
The first 2 predictions came true and no way did I think we could have done what we have done.
At the time, I definitely would have prefered to keep Sean and stay up (who knows?), with a couple more signings like Cornet, maybe we could have had a far better season in the prem.
Hyndsight is a marvellous thing and maybe it's all working out for the better, but at the time, I'd have said 'stay up' because we may never have got back

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:16 pm

fanzone wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:54 pm

I agree really, I was bored by the end today. Apart from the Watford game the last few home matches just haven't been a contest.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:18 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:16 pm
I agree really, I was bored by the end today. Apart from the Watford game the last few home matches just haven't been a contest.
Next couple are night games against Sunderland (good side and good away fans) and Sheff Utd, who we owe one to and could win promotion against, should be a bit more to them!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:27 pm

I would have gone back to the end of the season before and I would have sacked Dyche,with the right appointment we wouldn't be in the Championship now.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:28 pm

Glad we went down. Now let's hope Leeds go down this season.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:45 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:51 pm
It’s all a bit in hindsight given our success but relegation has been a blessing in disguise. It’s almost impossible to re-model a club/squad like we have in the PL, even with big bucks (look at Chelsea). For a fan base to get reconnected with the club it’s been great, then there’s the refreshing year of enjoying dominating matches, winning games and all without VAR.

On the flip side I wanted us to stay in the PL, of course, knowing the financial benefits vs how challenging it might have been to get promoted, given the changes we had upcoming.
This is pretty much spot on for me. I definitely didn't want to get relegated and although others were saying it would give us chance to clear out and re set, I seriously feared it was something we'd struggle to recover from a la Bolton, Rovers, Sunderland, Ipswich etc, etc. On the final day I was utterly gutted as I didn't think we'd be back anytime soon. Having said that, it's worked out brilliantly. A necessary clear out, a superb managerial appointment and some astoundingly astute shopping in markets abroad for players largely going under the radar. I knew the championship to be basically a swamp infested with sharks and crocodiles from which few emerge and yet here we are, lauding it over the rest and clearly far, far too good for basically all of them. Hindsight really is a wonderful thing afforded to no one, but looking back I'd have happily accepted relegation if I'd known what was to follow. This is miles, miles better than clinging on to a place in the PL by the skin of our teeth!

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4570 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:59 pm

This season has been an incredible experience, better than ANY season in the Premier League and probably as good as the seasons when we were the best team in England in 1959-1960 and the following years. The style of football under Vincent Kompany has been scintillating. Next season will be interesting.....

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:05 pm

This is a unique season in my history of watching the Clarets, never thought I'd see a Burnley side so consistently too good for the opposition.

If it's a choice between being bored winning every week or being bored scratching around for a draw then getting dicked every week in the EPL, I'll take this season thanks.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:10 pm

If I could go back to the end of last season I'd eat fewer pies and exercise more. My belly is handing over me troosers...!
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:12 pm

We needed relegation. Surviving would have made this season a nightmare.
We landed on our feet getting VK, but it wouldn't have altered our need for a rebuild.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:22 pm

Everything has worked out best for all involved, even those who left in the main. The reset we’ve had as a club was a scary proposition and I think 7/8 times out of 10 could have been a real struggle for most clubs - but absolutely every decision made has been correct. I wouldn’t change anything with the benefit of hindsight.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 pm

screw the PL, this season has been immense and has rejuvenated a fed up fan base

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:30 am

Feel good factor is a big thing. Winning consistently, especially playing good football makes your general life much better. I was gutted for 48 hours when we went down but soon realised if any club needed to hit the reset button it was us.
As said a million times, nobody could have predicted the way this season has gone but even of we were in the play off mix, relegation was probably a good thing for the club or at least the fanbase, ignoring the (admittedly massive) financial side of it.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:05 am

I’ve got to be honest - I’m already fearing next season, because there’s no way on earth it can live up to this season.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:12 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:05 am
I’ve got to be honest - I’m already fearing next season, because there’s no way on earth it can live up to this season.
I'm not fearing the season, I'm fearing the portion of ours fans that start to moan when we don't beat everyone 3-0 in the first 3 games

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:49 am

Couple of things - wouldn’t worry about the atmosphere too much. Last couple of home games have been less a contest, more a training session, and it’s v difficult to get anything going on games like that. Generally it’s been spot on - I always find night games help and we’ve got a good one coming up then the Blades.

Also, hindsight is a wonderful thing saying we needed relegation. Look at where Watford and Norwich are currently - struggling for a playoff spot. This season has been fantastic but it was never a given.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:38 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:49 am
Couple of things - wouldn’t worry about the atmosphere too much. Last couple of home games have been less a contest, more a training session, and it’s v difficult to get anything going on games like that. Generally it’s been spot on - I always find night games help and we’ve got a good one coming up then the Blades.

Also, hindsight is a wonderful thing saying we needed relegation. Look at where Watford and Norwich are currently - struggling for a playoff spot. This season has been fantastic but it was never a given.
You're right that this season was never a given, but the age of our squad, the players we knew were leaving, and our lack of finances, all pointed to the need for a rebuild. It would have been impossible if we had stayed up. Relegation gave us an outside chance at best, but a chance.
History will make it look like it was a no brainer, which it wasnt, but it was definitely necessary.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:46 am

With the benefit of hindsight relegation then promotion has absolutely worked out for us and allowed us to reset and change direction. That in no way is a criticism of the past because that was a highly successful period.