Patrick Viera

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Patrick Viera

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:33 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:11 pm
Freakishly, 8 of Crystal Palace’s last 10 fixtures are against sides currently sitting below them in the PL table. A couple of wins and Hodgson will be lauded for turning things around.
That's why many expect them to pull away from trouble, you do have to have some sympathy for Viera, yes they've endured a winless run, however in that period they've faced most if not all of the top sides.

And now when they are facing a winnable run of games Viera gets the bump before being allowed to turn things around which he probably would have.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 pm

I think it's a really reasonable sacking and a sensible replacement.

The fixtures so far this year have fallen really unfortunately but to not win any of them, go 3 games without a shot on target and scored 5 in 12 doesn't exactly tell anyone they were going to turn it around once the fixture list eased up, does it?

Putting someone you know and trust in to steer them to safety (which he will) is a lot more sensible than trying to find your new long term manager at this state of the season. As a certain Mr Pace could probably attest...

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:33 pm
That's why many expect them to pull away from trouble, you do have to have some sympathy for Viera, yes they've endured a winless run, however in that period they've faced most if not all of the top sides.

And now when they are facing a winnable run of games Viera gets the bump before being allowed to turn things around which he probably would have.
If you had any confidence in him winning any of them games not sure why you think he would have done, they was literally seconds away from beating Brentford & everton beat them convincingly & forest beat them narrowly they did get some good results against the teams in & around them but also some bad 1s so it's a stretch to say probably I'd use possibly, add in some reckless sending offs not knowing his best 11 & chopping & changing when some players were playing well it's easy to see why they got rid of him, if they do go down it's not to say that would have been any different had he stayed because there's nothing to suggest it.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 pm

Awful appointment devoid of ambition that could come back to bite them.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:15 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:32 pm
If our board decided to appoint a ‘youngish manager’ and a change in style and direction, and 18months later re appoint the guy that they had initially sacked that employs a style they tried to move away from then I’d be asking serious questions.
Almost a shame Dyche has found a new job :lol:

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:18 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 pm
If you had any confidence in him winning any of them games not sure why you think he would have done, they was literally seconds away from beating Brentford & everton beat them convincingly & forest beat them narrowly they did get some good results against the teams in & around them but also some bad 1s so it's a stretch to say probably I'd use possibly, add in some reckless sending offs not knowing his best 11 & chopping & changing when some players were playing well it's easy to see why they got rid of him, if they do go down it's not to say that would have been any different had he stayed because there's nothing to suggest it.
No guarantees Palace would have started winning under Viera, however their record against the lower half sides is decent so far this season, so I say it was more likely than not he turned it around.

Compare Palace's treatment of Viera to Brentford's backing of Thomas Frank when Brentford endured a long winless run last season, and their loyalty is now being rewarded with a great season.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:22 pm

Something went on behind the scenes I reckon. There was that issue with the coach or someone being sacked a couple of months ago I think. Think they wanted rid because of something like that rather than anything to do with the bad run specifically.

As for Hodgson, he’s worse than Warnock keep coming back. Destined to be a failure.

The Centre Spot
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by The Centre Spot » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Looks like someone has drawn a face on a balloon then blown it up.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:39 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:18 pm
No guarantees Palace would have started winning under Viera, however their record against the lower half sides is decent so far this season, so I say it was more likely than not he turned it around.

Compare Palace's treatment of Viera to Brentford's backing of Thomas Frank when Brentford endured a long winless run last season, and their loyalty is now being rewarded with a great season.
I do have some degree of sympathy for viera as I don't think their board have backed him enough, we'll never know what viera could have done or not done but the 1 thing we can be sure about is that there never looked like scoring & he was ultimately responsible for mateta & Eduardo there did have some credible home draws against Liverpool Newcastle & man united but when you are keeping the back door shut it's less of a issue with shot shy strikers.