Craig Bellamy Article

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Craig Bellamy Article

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:06 am

These 16 users liked this post: Cajun JohnDearyMe GodIsADeeJay81 Tricky Trevor bobinho 4:20 Pendle Bella The Centre Spot mkmel NewClaret theonlywayisup summitclaret THERAT MT03ALG gukwonan green_parrot

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Craig Bellamy Article

Post by mdd2 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:31 am

Great read and nice piece about Dyche

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:23 am

I was sceptical at first, on hearing that Bellamy was coming in as Kompany’s number two. Everything that I’ve seen, read and listened to, prior to and since his arrival, has shown my scepticism to be unfounded.

The reflection, appreciation and continuation of what Dyche brought to Burnley, is great to read. Kompany and Bellamy are doing things differently but the foundations, the “key core values” remain and have, in no small part, helped us to achieve the highs of this season.

Some of our own fans would do well to read Bellamy’s words when it comes to appreciating what Dyche did for Burnley and the legacy he left behind.
These 16 users liked this post: Cooclaret GodIsADeeJay81 HunterST_BFC FeedTheArf Bosscat bobinho SussexDon1inIreland Rowls NewClaret mkmel evensteadiereddie whiffa gukwonan Stalbansclaret Stayingup Damo

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 am

He comes across really well......

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:38 am

Really good read that. He’s nothing like his playing persona. Nice to see the respect for Dyche, very different of course, but we’ve maintained that unbelievable work ethic which is key for any group.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:08 am

Excellent read that. Seems like he’s proper enjoying it. Few things really stood out to me:

- VK’s (and his) extraordinary work ethic, doing what we’ve done hasn’t been ‘easy’
- the stuff on Simeone and how much they value off the ball work (with nice credit to Dyche for what was already at the club)
- dispelling the myth / nonsense that we’ve bought the league, he’s spot on with the Watford/Norwich comments, it’s what I’ve been saying on here
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 SussexDon1inIreland Stalbansclaret

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:14 am

Excellent read. Thanks for posting.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Sheff_bfc
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Sheff_bfc » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 am

A possible chant for our little Welsh wizard...

Oohhhhhhhh Bellemys a claret, he wears a claret hat,
He used to be a b@st@rd, and then he thought sod that,
He's joined the claret army, He's Vincent's right hand man,
And when we reach the Premier league we'll sing this song all night.

repeat

I'll get my coat. Sorry
These 2 users liked this post: Cooclaret SussexDon1inIreland

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:37 am

Nothing like was as a player, other than a winning mentality.

When Kompany eventually moved on it would be silly to not consider Bellamy as his successor

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 am

Inchy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:37 am
Nothing like was as a player, other than a winning mentality.

When Kompany eventually moved on it would be silly to not consider Bellamy as his successor
Bellamy would move with him

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 am

Great read and i particularly liked this comment;

"We know how hard it's going to be against City but every game, you have to think you can win."

Will see how it pans out later but in recent trips to the Ethiad it has felt like we've been beaten before the game starts

GaryClaret
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 229 times

Post by GaryClaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:42 am

Really enjoyed reading that - thank you for sharing.

Before Kompany’s appointment was formally announced I read Simon Kuper’s book Barca about the rise and fall of Barcelona. The sections about Cruyff and Guardiola and their philosophy on how football should be played got me very excited to see whether Kompany could achieve something at Burnley.

Then the Huddersfield game happened.

Then the season happened.

It’s tough to appreciate the present in football - there’s always another game to move on to. I’m not saying we’re Barcelona. I am going to say it’s remarkable how similar the style of play and attitudes are to the ones described in the book. All the way down to how fans feel about the keeper. It does feel wrong to be saying this but the book describes the genesis of our style of play. I hope one day I can accept that my Burnley are this good. I still can’t believe it.
These 3 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland 4:20 Marney neyMar

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:43 am

M Jackson also deserves some great credit with this change over and keeping a certain core consistancy.
Jackson is still key within the setup.

VK keeping him was a very smart decision.
Where other new managers would dump staff VK didn't.
Jackson has retained full respect, he is very included and from an outsiders viewpoint very much a key part of the "Team".

It's clear to see.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland 4:20

Marney neyMar
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Marney neyMar » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:45 am

Wonderful article.
We’ve caught lightening in a bottle with VK and CB, and the timing for their arrival, with the foundations in place on which to build. It’s just perfect.
If (if) we can get the 3 year cycle which VK himself muted this week, who knows where this team could be. I have no doubt we’ll be built on firm footings and it’s going to be an incredible ride.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho SussexDon1inIreland

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 352 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:58 am

Marney neyMar wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:45 am
Wonderful article.
We’ve caught lightening in a bottle with VK and CB, and the timing for their arrival, with the foundations in place on which to build. It’s just perfect.
If (if) we can get the 3 year cycle which VK himself muted this week, who knows where this team could be. I have no doubt we’ll be built on firm footings and it’s going to be an incredible ride.
'lightening in a bottle ' Great, really sums it all up.
These 2 users liked this post: Marney neyMar bobinho

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 am

Good read and he's obviously contributed a lot to where we are.

I was very sceptical about him being here.

mdd2 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:31 am
Great read and nice piece about Dyche
Brilliant that he acknowledges what Dyche did.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4093 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 am

I love his honesty about himself, although I do believe he does himself a disservice.

“If you want to get into the champions league, I’m your man. If you want to win it, you need someone else”

Self deprecation is a wonderful trait, but I watched Bellamy as a player rip teams apart, and he did exactly that to us for city at the turf alongside Teves and Adebayor. Never seen a front three like it. Awesome.

Great that he recognises what came before and how they still harness that.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:24 am

He may not have been the player you needed to win a Champions League, but I suspect he may win it as a coach in the future.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 615 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:29 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:43 am
M Jackson also deserves some great credit with this change over and keeping a certain core consistancy.
Jackson is still key within the setup.

VK keeping him was a very smart decision.
Where other new managers would dump staff VK didn't.
Jackson has retained full respect, he is very included and from an outsiders viewpoint very much a key part of the "Team".

It's clear to see.
Yea Jackson must be well thought of by kompany to keep him around, their principles seem simple - work hard and put the effort in and you get rewarded

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:52 am

He was a terrific player and it looks like he’s a terrific coach as well.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:02 am

I think spending £22 mill on 19 players is stretching it unless that was the outlay this season with more to pay in next 3-5 seasons depending on LOC
BUT if that has been the total spend on transfer fees then that has been brilliant

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 352 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:06 am
A good read…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... llamy.html
Thanks for posting this. Great Article.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

The Centre Spot
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by The Centre Spot » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 am

Hated CB as an opponent, would have loved him in our team.
The bloke was a very good player with a winning mentality. We saw in his attitude on the pitch that gave us the opinion he was a whinger, it was simply frustration.
I'm pleased that we now have him in our team, he is demonstrating a maturity and intelligence that I had never previously associated with him.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:45 am

A very good read, and coupled with the BBC Football Focus interview on VK yesterday shows what a great pair we have in these two, and why we have achieved so much in about 8 months. It also shows the importance of the FA Cup, which has been the trigger for the recognition of what the club, the coaches and players have achieved. We clarets have known this for a few months but the outside world is now getting an appreciation of this seasons success. Lets hope it does not stop tonight.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:52 am

Brilliant article, thanks for posting.

Some amazing insights to the work ethic, the influences and culture at the club.

I can’t help but love Bellamy the more I hear him speak. A proper football man. Starting to feel we have a very special combination in he and Vinny!

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 am

taio wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 am
Bellamy would move with him

i think that depends

Clearly Bellamy is ambitious and hes certainly his own man. If VK leaves us in the Prem for a better Prem club then Bellamy might see it as an opportunity he cannot turn down

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:56 am

I listen to a lot of football podcasts by ex pros and whenever Bellamy's names comes up it always follows the same pattern.
Works his balls off and expects everyone else around him to as well, which is unrealistic. A winner.

He may have matured and realised you cannot expect everyone to have the same love and dedicated to the game however he may not have. Hes now in a position to weed out people who do not follow his and VKs mantra.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1391 times
Has Liked: 1223 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 am

What a great article. He seems a proper sound bloke. Really honest and passionate about the game. Had some troubles like many of us do so hope he's on the way to a bit of consistent happiness and stability etc. He's obviously been brilliant for us. Loved the comment about Kompany speaking five languages and Bellamy barely speaking one. Very funny.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 am

En route to Manchester now - my first trip to the Etihad was back in 2009. My girlfriend at the time’s dad was a city fan and ‘treated’ me to a ticket with the home fans. It was very hard to keep my allegiances unknown as we went 2-0 up, and I didn’t even bother to disguise it when we scored a late equaliser. That goal cancelled out City’s third goal which was scored by Craig Bellamy.

This was at the beginning of their Arab dynasty, they had a few big names such as Tevez and Adebayor, but I remember thinking that Bellamy was their most dangerous player.

Let’s hope we get a similarly entertaining game today.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am

16, 16 undefeated playing football the Barca way.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 am

That's a good an interesting interview.

Two key words are 'agile', 'encouragement'. I've noticed this.

Agile. Players like Kevin Long or Chris Wood, even perhaps Mee and Tarkowski, are no longer what we need as they are not agile. You see this agility in games as our players move their bodies quickly to respond to situations. I love it.

Encouragement. Quite often with other teams if a player mis passes or makes an error the reaction of his colleagues is often disappointment and sometimes down right annoyance (think Pickford as an extreme example). I can't think of anytime this has happened with our boys. On Wednesday when Zaroury attempted a wild shot at goal instead of passing to a well placed Maatsen no-one on the pitch admonished him. They knew Zaroury was disappointed with himself and more likely Barnes would have given him a pat on the back. Likewise when some sloppy passing occurred, or we conceded that late goal we just got on with it.

The last two paragraphs practically contradict the first five!

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 am

An excellent article

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 am

GaryClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:42 am
It’s tough to appreciate the present in football - there’s always another game to move on to. I’m not saying we’re Barcelona. I am going to say it’s remarkable how similar the style of play and attitudes are to the ones described in the book. All the way down to how fans feel about the keeper. It does feel wrong to be saying this but the book describes the genesis of our style of play. I hope one day I can accept that my Burnley are this good. I still can’t believe it.
The book about this season - hopefully this era - will be called 'It's Burnley Not Barcelona'. I hope that hasn't been used before!
These 2 users liked this post: GaryClaret summitclaret

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:54 am

Hipper wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 am
That's a good an interesting interview.

Two key words are 'agile', 'encouragement'. I've noticed this.

Agile. Players like Kevin Long or Chris Wood, even perhaps Mee and Tarkowski, are no longer what we need as they are not agile. You see this agility in games as our players move their bodies quickly to respond to situations. I love it.

Encouragement. Quite often with other teams if a player mis passes or makes an error the reaction of his colleagues is often disappointment and sometimes down right annoyance (think Pickford as an extreme example). I can't think of anytime this has happened with our boys. On Wednesday when Zaroury attempted a wild shot at goal instead of passing to a well placed Maatsen no-one on the pitch admonished him. They knew Zaroury was disappointed with himself and more likely Barnes would have given him a pat on the back. Likewise when some sloppy passing occurred, or we conceded that late goal we just got on with it.

The last two paragraphs practically contradict the first five!
On the Agile word, I have noticed Tella's movement is something I have rarely seen. He seems to shield off defenders in a way which he is ready to go both ways depending on how the ball reaches him, using his leg nearest the defender as like a springboard but also protecting the ball with his weight, can't think of any I have seen use this style but thinking it's something which Bellamy has him doing

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:00 am

Looks to be the perfect foil to VK’s calm, controlled leadership. He’s obviously calmed down since being a player but you can tell from the interview that he still has that coiled spring spark about him, as well as a superb work ethic and invaluable knowledge of this level of football.

Vincent'sCap
Been Liked: 246 times

Post by Vincent'sCap » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:05 am

I used to hate Craig Bellamy,my stance towards him is mellowing as the season draws to a beautiful climax though.😉

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32396 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:27 am

Written by a Stockport fan too, Emily Bishop's son.

Bellamy said when he came in that he'd been a team mate of Kompany's at Man City but then he said City got good so he had to leave. Very good player though.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Good article.

His Wikipedia details is also a very good read.

Craig Bellamy https://g.co/kgs/JLZnkP

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:18 pm

Inchy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 am
i think that depends

Clearly Bellamy is ambitious and hes certainly his own man. If VK leaves us in the Prem for a better Prem club then Bellamy might see it as an opportunity he cannot turn down
Bellamy has already said he isn’t a number one. He very much sees himself as a number two or coach.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:44 pm

If you went into a bar and saw both Bellamy and Barton in there you'd be guaranteed a fight. Luckily nowadays both have calmed down with age.

But don't fall completely to everything he's saying, he still has the same presence on the touchline as he used to on the pitch and he still gets in spats with the opposition bench and winds the 4th official up.

He does the dirty work, plays the hard man and does it well. We would still hate him if he wasn't connected with Burnley.

The best part in the article for me was that he mentions both him and Vincent don't carry ego's. That's extended to the bit where he mentioned he was never good enough to play in the Champions League. It's very important when managing players that you have leaders with that attitude because every footballer tends to think they are better than they actually are.