Etihad stadium

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Re: Etihad stadium

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Tarksforengland123 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 am
Enhancing our ground and getting it into the 21st century is not selling it out. How much do we spend in markets compared to their fraudulent ways 😉 one of those still stuck in the 80s are we? 🙄
No. I just find it rather naff.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:47 pm

A definition of the word 'crass' could be summed up by their half time 'find the looky-likey' in the crowd. Desperately poor but then again it was a Saturday night and so probably compensating for those missing their regular weekend viewing. Does Manchester have humour? Well, I lived there for seven years as a teenager in the 60's going to secondary school and I didn't detect any. Plenty of cynicism but humour in very short supply and that was around Cheetham Hill where you would have thought a bit of humour might get you through the day.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10 am

Got there a bit late, struggled to find my seat, I was all over the place trying to find it, up this aisle, down that one… gave up in the end just plonked myself on the end of a row. Stewards started being arsey sending me here and there.
Anyway, some fella with his lad let me stand by them, but I was too far away from the pitch so I watched the F1 highlights on me fone.

Went for a hot dog and a sniff at HT, and ended up losing myself again cos I was buzzin me tits off and off me rocker, until some absolute “unit” with a baldy head started giving it large - you know the type, ex-military missing shouting at the lads on the parade ground…. Completely ruined my nite he did….😉🤣👍🏻

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:21 am

How do they get away with not having away fans down to pitchside? I thought that was banned a bit ago unless you have journo mincers in charge.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:46 am

Can’t knock their stadium or facilities but it’s a total ballache for away fans , all the walking round the ground and you’re lucky if they open the coach park gate as they usually send you all the way back around as you approach the away end . That’s before all the endless checks ,searches , barriers etc

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 am

Would take Maine Rd over this place every time.

Maine Rd you knew you were at a proper football ground, it is odd to see City become more and more like what they claim Utd is as every season goes by.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:25 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:03 am
Would take Maine Rd over this place every time.

Maine Rd you knew you were at a proper football ground, it is odd to see City become more and more like what they claim Utd is as every season goes by.
At least you don't get bricks thrown at you nowadays....hated going to maine Road....much prefer the etihad

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:29 am

Maine Road was a dump.
It was difficult to get to and impossible to get away from after a game.
I went a lot back in the 90s - fortunately (or probably unfortunately) it was with work and hosting guests in our hospitality box.
The atmosphere was truly awful - they were going through a pretty bad time though but it was often vitriolic towards their board and the team.

One thing changed all of this and it started with m and ends in oney !

City fans love to talk about how they had a fantastic season in the old 3rd division and what a great season that was. Absolute tosh - I was there for a lot of it and they hated it. I remember one game at home to Gillingham I think - it was someone rubbish ! They drew 0-0. Sir Alex and his family were on the next table to us and sat behind us for the game. He had only gone for the hospitality as no way he could have been scouting the dross on the pitch. He left just after half time - the city fans gave him no stick at all. Rarely seen such apathy in a set of fans - the club was on its arse.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:49 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:25 am
At least you don't get bricks thrown at you nowadays....hated going to maine Road....much prefer the etihad
True, but I prefer football where the ground has an edge. Stoke and Boro are 2 other good examples of moving grounds and the experience becoming sterile.

The sanitised modern day version can be very dull, there is a reason you see people selling scarfs with 2 teams on it and people buy them. I preferred standing on the Longside as opposed to sitting down but appreciate it isn't for everyone.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:14 am

It's always going to divide opinion, I'm not even sure myself. Going to City is like going to watch Beyonce or U2. You can see where the billions of pounds have been spent, it's a hell of a show, very slick and a great day out for all the family - people who aren't even into football would enjoy it. You get what you pay for.

But then there's still a large market out there for your small venue gigs, where you're actually in some way connected to what you're watching and it feels like you're at a football match. If I was taking my mum to a game, it'd be City. If I take my lad, it would be Luton away.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 am

I love those half-and-half scarfs for one reason alone. They are like garlic to a vampire when it comes to some of the people on here. Aye, those who wear 1970s rose-tinted glasses while dreaming of running battles on the Longside and think they're still the toughest teenager in town.
This user liked this post: Big Vinny K

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 am
I love those half-and-half scarfs for one reason alone. They are like garlic to a vampire when it comes to some of the people on here. Aye, those who wear 1970s rose-tinted glasses while dreaming of running battles on the Longside and think they're still the toughest teenager in town.
Spot on.
It’s become a badge of dishonour for some.
Whilst I would never wear one I do remember buying one at an Arsenal away game for my son when he was young - it’s what he wanted and he’s still got it and it’s a good memory of the trip for him.

Football moves on - I would not have taken my 10 year old son to a game full of adults back in the 70s and 80s with lads urinating down the longside and running battles outside the ground at nearly every game.
Of course we enjoyed it for what it was because we had no alternative.

But to say the old days is better than has been in the last 20 or so years for fans feels a bit weird for me. Even this thing about the old atmosphere is a bit of a myth - yes the surge on the Longside was a thrill but your memory tends to forget that most of the time the ground was less than half full. Compare that to the United game under Coyle or the Spurs cup game or Wigan under Dyche etc and not sure how you can say the atmosphere was better back in the day.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:27 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:29 am
Maine Road was a dump.
It was difficult to get to and impossible to get away from after a game.
I went a lot back in the 90s - fortunately (or probably unfortunately) it was with work and hosting guests in our hospitality box.
The atmosphere was truly awful - they were going through a pretty bad time though but it was often vitriolic towards their board and the team.

One thing changed all of this and it started with m and ends in oney !

City fans love to talk about how they had a fantastic season in the old 3rd division and what a great season that was. Absolute tosh - I was there for a lot of it and they hated it. I remember one game at home to Gillingham I think - it was someone rubbish ! They drew 0-0. Sir Alex and his family were on the next table to us and sat behind us for the game. He had only gone for the hospitality as no way he could have been scouting the dross on the pitch. He left just after half time - the city fans gave him no stick at all. Rarely seen such apathy in a set of fans - the club was on its arse.
Yep, a helping hand is always welcome.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:12 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:04 am
How dare they go to a football match on a dank Manchester Saturday evening, rather than being sat indoors watching the game on TV.
If that’s a dig at me, first off get your facts in order. I live in Australia. Only arrive in U.K. last week. Couldn’t get a ticket. So funnily enough I watched on tv. But I watched the game rather than sitting at the stadium holding my phone up filming something a could download later.
Half n half scarfs, holding up phones… plastic tourists.

jos
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by jos » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:55 am

Fantastic stadium, and the best corporate facilities in the league (apparently wins prizes every year) excellent three course meals, comfy seats great views and the PA system works.

The football on show is pretty spectacular too. What’s not to like, apart from being on the losing side of course.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm

jos wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:55 am
Fantastic stadium, and the best corporate facilities in the league (apparently wins prizes every year) excellent three course meals, comfy seats great views and the PA system works.

The football on show is pretty spectacular too. What’s not to like, apart from being on the losing side of course.
I've got very used to 'being on the losing side' after nearly 65 years of watching us. So, it's not that. There's just something that doesn't sit right with me when I look at Manchester City now. Not an adequate answer really but it's all I've got. Maybe it's a bit of inverted snobbery from me. I might find a suitable answer to your question one day but until then I'll just stick with that feeling of uneasiness that pervades for me around their club.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:50 pm

It's just all massively plastic. Most of the city fans I know don't even like it. Like all new out of town stadiums, it just doesn't have that feeling of history, that sense of being a proper football ground. Every club who moves loses that.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm

Fantastic stadium but just like the other big stadium in the City it's a sole-less bowl.

There's no money in Manchester folk. All the money's in foreign fans.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:12 am
If that’s a dig at me, first off get your facts in order. I live in Australia. Only arrive in U.K. last week. Couldn’t get a ticket. So funnily enough I watched on tv. But I watched the game rather than sitting at the stadium holding my phone up filming something a could download later.
Half n half scarfs, holding up phones… plastic tourists.
Depends who buys the half and half scarves

Grown men....no

10yr old, 3rd year as a season ticket holder is fine....and not a plastic supporter....