Transfer business

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Re: Transfer business

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:05 am
Must admit, I think Taylor has looked like a fish on a bike at left back this season.
Has he played left back this season? (I'm sure there must have been times but can't remember any).
He has chosen Vitinho there as a replacement.

He has played as a Centre back, but often just covered Maatsen out left when we have the ball. Or come on as a 3rd CB to shore games up.

The system isn't always kind to players who have to sacrifice, it made Roberts look poor when he had to tuck into 3rd Centre back.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:00 am

Time will tell as to whether we need a more experienced central defender to organise the other players against Premier league opposition.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:39 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:49 am
The way zaroury is playing at the moment, I'd be putting Taylor in that position
Is this the same Zaroury who was sponsors MOM against Wigan and had a hand in two of the three goals?

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:43 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 am
Has he played left back this season? (I'm sure there must have been times but can't remember any).
He has chosen Vitinho there as a replacement.

He has played as a Centre back, but often just covered Maatsen out left when we have the ball. Or come on as a 3rd CB to shore games up.

The system isn't always kind to players who have to sacrifice, it made Roberts look poor when he had to tuck into 3rd Centre back.
He’s been at left back plenty of times, we have had period with Maatsen and Vitinho missing. His Sue do yeh ball be it at centre half or left back isn’t up the standard of this team. Shame as he’s been a good player for us.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:06 am

Could be wrong but I get the impression from a couple of his interviews that Taylor knows he won’t be with us next season. Has been an excellent servant.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:27 am

On games against teams like City I would have been tempted to try Taylor at LB with Maatsen in front of him covering Walker, simply because Maatsen has the ability to drive forward and Taylor is much better defensively.

Going to be an interesting summer again. I hope we do keep Tella and Beyer at a minimum.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

FulledgeClaret
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by FulledgeClaret » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:32 am

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:53 am
Never mind the players, we need to be signing whoever makes the balti pies for Man City
That will be a company called Bowen pies,they are good pies and you can buy from them online not cheap mind.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:58 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:43 am
He’s been at left back plenty of times, we have had period with Maatsen and Vitinho missing. His Sue do yeh ball be it at centre half or left back isn’t up the standard of this team. Shame as he’s been a good player for us.
Not sure he has played at left back that often. The odd occasion he has I don’t think he has played well. Under Dyche those lung bursting runs were primarily about making yards down the pitch so we could end up with a free kick or corner. His assists and scoring record proves that - he can’t cross or shoot. Maatsen, Vitinho and Roberts are all better than him at that.

He has played well at centre back though and he’s been an important player for us this season and in previous seasons too. I also think that he wants to leave and play regularly and hope he does well if he leaves. He’s been a good player and a good lad for us. Looks like one of those low maintenance quiet characters who just trains well and gives his all.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:21 am

burnleymik wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:27 am
On games against teams like City I would have been tempted to try Taylor at LB with Maatsen in front of him covering Walker, simply because Maatsen has the ability to drive forward and Taylor is much better defensively.
Spot on and I have said the same on other occasions
Maatsen is poor at defending - Hull being a good example, never mind City
Taylor is still contracted until 2024 and I would like to see him stay - he never really let us down in the Premiership when playing LB

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:50 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:51 am
Maatsen has been so much better defensively recently but we still need:
Back up keeper / one to push muric
Left back
2 cms
Winger/10
Striker

Players to leave
Peacock-Farrell
Franchi
Taylor
Thomas
Bastien
McNally (loan or sale to Coventry)
Twine (loan
Churlinov
Jay rod
Barnes (undecided if he’s warranted being kept around)
Richardson
Weghorst
That's a ridiculous list and would leave us under a huge amount of pressure to make as many signings as we did last summer - especially when you consider Maatsen, THB, Beyer and Tella are all on loan.

BPF, Taylor, Bastien, Twine, Jay and Barnes have all been in and around the squad this season so to write them all off is a little OTT in my opinion. None of them will be starters but could well do a job as squad players.

Of the rest...
Franchi needs a loan for experience.
Thomas and Richardson aren't realistically going to be good enough and will likely move on.
McNally could yet be a squad player next season - it all depends on who we manage to bring in once THB and Beyer have returned to their parent clubs.
Churlinov seems to be on the fringes and will likely move on.
That leaves the big unknown. Wout Weghorst. What do we do with him? He's an International striker currently holding down a starting spot at Manchester United. Who else in our squad would start for them every week?! Whatever has happened in the past is in the past. Do we cash him in or bring him back into the fold and see how he responds?

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:20 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:17 am
Not sure about Barton, he’s 40 and not played for a good few years now.
We never really replaced John Deary ...
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 561 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:50 pm
That's a ridiculous list and would leave us under a huge amount of pressure to make as many signings as we did last summer - especially when you consider Maatsen, THB, Beyer and Tella are all on loan.

BPF, Taylor, Bastien, Twine, Jay and Barnes have all been in and around the squad this season so to write them all off is a little OTT in my opinion. None of them will be starters but could well do a job as squad players.

Of the rest...
Franchi needs a loan for experience.
Thomas and Richardson aren't realistically going to be good enough and will likely move on.
McNally could yet be a squad player next season - it all depends on who we manage to bring in once THB and Beyer have returned to their parent clubs.
Churlinov seems to be on the fringes and will likely move on.
That leaves the big unknown. Wout Weghorst. What do we do with him? He's an International striker currently holding down a starting spot at Manchester United. Who else in our squad would start for them every week?! Whatever has happened in the past is in the past. Do we cash him in or bring him back into the fold and see how he responds?
Don’t think it’s ridiculous at all, it’s purely a list of players who could leave not necessarily saying they all will. Kompany is shown he’s capable of high turnover so I wouldn’t rule it out.

You also have to factor in players could also ask for moves, peacock-Farrell and Taylor with 12 months left in the summer might seek first team football in the championship if they are offered 3 or 4 year deals

Don’t see any way weghorst comes back imo

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am

Going of people's comments yesterday from the defeat against Sheffield United the club are going to have to break the bank to stop up in the premiership.
This user liked this post: Nori1958

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:22 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am
Going of people's comments yesterday from the defeat against Sheffield United the club are going to have to break the bank to stop up in the premiership.
I watched it last night. A mixed bag of players, 2 1st teamers coming back from injury, 5 U21s. it wasn't great, but hardly a disaster in the greater scheme of things.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:44 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:22 am
I watched it last night. A mixed bag of players, 2 1st teamers coming back from injury, 5 U21s. it wasn't great, but hardly a disaster in the greater scheme of things.
I didn't watch due to time difference but looking at some of the comments today some players seem not up to it for what they are showing in the reserves as like to call them , having played football and coming back from injury you are not going to kill yourself in the reserves it's just to get some game time and get up to speed without breaking your back.

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by bumba » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:01 am

Left back will be a priority, Maatsen hasn't done enough defensively to show he's ready for the premier league. He was ripped apart at Hull and City, I don't think I'd spend much if any money on him we could get better I'd rather Taylor started big games.
THB hopefully at least another loan as Ekdal will struggle due to his lack of pace.
Central midfield we will be desperate for, we'll need at least 2 maybe 3 for the squad.
Wingers if we can keep Tella too I think we'll have enough.
Striker will be urgently needed too, Barnes and JRod can move on, Foster still needs time so we need another.
Hopefully Kompany gets some top young talent in on loan from Europe then a few more gems but the City game showed just how big the gap is between the championship and prem. We'd do unbelievable to stay up with the current squad despite how easy we've made the championship look

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:09 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 pm
Don’t think it’s ridiculous at all, it’s purely a list of players who could leave not necessarily saying they all will. Kompany is shown he’s capable of high turnover so I wouldn’t rule it out.

You also have to factor in players could also ask for moves, peacock-Farrell and Taylor with 12 months left in the summer might seek first team football in the championship if they are offered 3 or 4 year deals

Don’t see any way weghorst comes back imo
VK might have shown he's capable of high turnover in the Championship; it's a different matter replicating that in the PL. I wouldn't want to go down the Forest route and sign 25+ players - the majority for fee's and wages higher than the existing squad will have been paid.

The style of play is key and the current crop have bought into it 100%. Our aim should be to tie down Beyer, Maatsen and Tella and then go from there. I expect Wout to leave as well to be honest, but stranger things have happened! I suspect one of Barnes or Jay will depart as well. We need to strengthen the first team without a doubt, especially CM, but I wouldn't be forcing the issue by getting rid of decent back up.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:24 am

bumba wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:01 am
Left back will be a priority, Maatsen hasn't done enough defensively to show he's ready for the premier league. He was ripped apart at Hull and City, I don't think I'd spend much if any money on him we could get better I'd rather Taylor started big games.
THB hopefully at least another loan as Ekdal will struggle due to his lack of pace.
Central midfield we will be desperate for, we'll need at least 2 maybe 3 for the squad.
Striker will be urgently needed too, Barnes and JRod can move on, Foster still needs time so we need another.
Hopefully Kompany gets some top young talent in on loan from Europe then a few more gems but the City game showed just how big the gap is between the championship and prem. We'd do unbelievable to stay up with the current squad despite how easy we've made the championship look
I don't think the City game is the best one to judge us on.

Bournemouth showed we'd be OK against bottom six clubs....the United game showed we be competitive against mid table clubs...and that's without additional players
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:24 am

Bournemouth showed we'd be OK against bottom six clubs....the United game showed we be competitive against mid table clubs...and that's without additional players
We'll certainly score plenty. But the Bournemouth game showed we are likely to concede quite a few as well.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:06 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:24 am

Manchester United breezed past us in that game. They didn’t get out of second gear.

But in all seriousness games against United and city are not the games to gauge how good we will be. I think given some decent recruitment in the summer we will stay up next season. There’s going to be at least 3 teams worse than us. A 10 goal a season striker is a must though.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am

Don’t think we can use that Bournemouth game as any kind of yardstick.
They rested a few for that game (as we did) but that was a game full of crazy defending for both sides. Bournemouth in particular were absolutely shocking that day and if they were that bad every week they would already be relegated.

We know ourselves from our time under SD in the FA Cup you cannot use these games to judge the PL performances.

My optimism for how we will do in the PL is how fantastic we have been in the Championship but mostly my confidence in VK and how good a manager he is.

TopCat
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by TopCat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:51 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
Don’t think we can use that Bournemouth game as any kind of yardstick.
They rested a few for that game (as we did) but that was a game full of crazy defending for both sides. Bournemouth in particular were absolutely shocking that day and if they were that bad every week they would already be relegated.

We know ourselves from our time under SD in the FA Cup you cannot use these games to judge the PL performances.

My optimism for how we will do in the PL is how fantastic we have been in the Championship but mostly my confidence in VK and how good a manager he is.
I was under the impression Bournemouth were, all but one player short of being full strength.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:56 am

TopCat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:51 am
I was under the impression Bournemouth were, all but one player short of being full strength.
The made 3 changes Mepham, Kelly & Lerma from their previous game, Kelly came on at half time in our game with them

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm

TopCat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:51 am
They did what we have done this season in the cup. Make 2 or 3 changes for the cup.
Just points to not making that game a priority - which is understandable given their league position.

But the main thing about that game was that for whatever reason the way they defended in that game is not how they have defended since the new manager took charge. And from that point of view it’s hard to use that game as a yardstick for how we are going to perform in the PL.
But we did beat them and without our pressing and pushing players forward in numbers you can argue that we would not have had those chances playing a different more defensive set up.

Very few teams have even in the PL have got the players to play out from the back like City and Arsenal do. Yet teams like Leeds and many others persist in trying and I think this gives us a good chance of forcing these teams into mistakes and us punishing these teams. The reverse of this is of course that we will also be playing out from the back and any mistakes we make will be punished more than we have had this season.

Ziggy Stardust
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Post by Ziggy Stardust » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:39 pm

I think some are forgetting the "Project" part of the Pace/VK plan. Buy young players and let them develop and possibly move on for a tidy profit. Perhaps we've been a bit spoilt this year with being top. I just think you are seeing young players making mistakes and learning the game as they go. It will a steeper learning curve next year for some but it's something they will have to go through as will we. (see City game). Annas is a prime example, he's been awesome in some games and in others he couldn't hit a barn door. I expect perhaps 2/3 in next year depending on the loan situations.

Enjoy the ride.

HistoricalClaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by HistoricalClaret » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:51 pm

bumba wrote:
The City game showed the gap between the bottom and the top of the prem not the prem and championship whose gap in reality is not all that big, Fulham has shown that this season.

HistoricalClaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by HistoricalClaret » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:52 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:56 am
The made 3 changes Mepham, Kelly & Lerma from their previous game, Kelly came on at half time in our game with them
Bournemouth were full strength all but Lerma, Mepham and Kelly dont typically start.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:44 pm

HistoricalClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:52 pm
Bournemouth were full strength all but Lerma, Mepham and Kelly dont typically start.
They all started the PL game before playing us and the one after. They were definitely regulars at the time we played them.

Other than the keeper for us we pretty much had our normal side out. Tella was on the bench but think at the time he was being rotated with Benson as Benson was in such good form. Taylor played but think the Maatsen and Vitinho were both injured at the time.
That was the game THB got injured and McNally came on and had a solid game too.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:47 pm

Bear in mind when Chris McCann is back from injury that will be like a new signing

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:20 pm

Taylor is our best defensive left back but doesn't offer enough going forward in the way that VK plays. Summer is going to be very interesting and I suspect busy

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:26 pm

bumba wrote:
That's incredibly harsh imo, you clearly haven't seen much of Taylor this season, he's not even in the same stratosphere as Maatsen with the ball and going forward. City rip the best fullbacks in the world apart, hardly makes any logical sense to use that game as any kind of benchmark. I think Maatsen has made giant gains defensively, no longer are we subbing on Taylor to close out games.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:28 pm

I get the feeling VK will be happy for Taylor, Cork, Jay Rod and Barnes to move on. Twine probably needs to go out on loan like McNally has done. Churlinov seems out of favour as well. Will definitely be a busy one.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Cooclaret » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:31 pm

HB Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:26 am
And where would you play him ?
At, and call me crazy, at CB.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:56 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:20 pm
Taylor is our best defensive left back but doesn't offer enough going forward in the way that VK plays. Summer is going to be very interesting and I suspect busy
I think if the city game showed us anything it is that our style is all or nothing… and I don’t think Taylor at LB is a good fit. He has been excellent for Dyche but it is horses for courses and why Pope would be terrible compared to Muric even though he is the better keeper.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:10 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:26 pm
That's incredibly harsh imo, you clearly haven't seen much of Taylor this season, he's not even in the same stratosphere as Maatsen with the ball and going forward. City rip the best fullbacks in the world apart, hardly makes any logical sense to use that game as any kind of benchmark. I think Maatsen has made giant gains defensively, no longer are we subbing on Taylor to close out games.
Maatsen has been superb for a 21 year old !!!!!!!

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by bumba » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:50 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:26 pm
Taylor is much better at defending, Maatsen hasn't shown me that he can defend against any wingers of real quality, the young lad at Hull tore him apart over and over again.
Maatsen is good going forward but we aren't going to be going forward as much next year. Teams like Norwich tried our approach and walked the championship but it's a massive step up

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:42 pm

bumba wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:50 pm
Taylor is much better at defending, Maatsen hasn't shown me that he can defend against any wingers of real quality, the young lad at Hull tore him apart over and over again.
Maatsen is good going forward but we aren't going to be going forward as much next year. Teams like Norwich tried our approach and walked the championship but it's a massive step up
Norwich were nowhere near as good as us, they were shipping goals in the Championship.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:10 pm
Maatsen has been superb for a 21 year old !!!!!!!
I think he'd be a more orthodox wing-back at Chelsea. (If they ever used him, that is)

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 561 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:41 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:09 am
VK might have shown he's capable of high turnover in the Championship; it's a different matter replicating that in the PL. I wouldn't want to go down the Forest route and sign 25+ players - the majority for fee's and wages higher than the existing squad will have been paid.

The style of play is key and the current crop have bought into it 100%. Our aim should be to tie down Beyer, Maatsen and Tella and then go from there. I expect Wout to leave as well to be honest, but stranger things have happened! I suspect one of Barnes or Jay will depart as well. We need to strengthen the first team without a doubt, especially CM, but I wouldn't be forcing the issue by getting rid of decent back up.
Tie down Beyer and tella, I think Maatsen and THB will be loan signings again, the midfield does need strengthening, it’s not about getting rid of squad players as such it’s also about them wanting first team football

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 am

Nixon mentioning that we will be in the bidding for Gyökeres, although it seems he has other Prem admirers including David Moyes.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21836566 ... -scamacca/

Personally feel this is unlikely given the other PL interest but VK has clearly been keen and we can likely offer an immediate starting position. Also Cov being keen on signing McNally permanently could help?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 am
Nixon mentioning that we will be in the bidding for Gyökeres, although it seems he has other Prem admirers including David Moyes.

Personally feel this is unlikely given the other PL interest but VK has clearly been keen and we can likely offer an immediate starting position. Also Cov being keen on signing McNally permanently could help?
No surprise - other PL clubs will be in for him. I just can't see us spending so much on one player

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:01 am

taio wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 am
No surprise - other PL clubs will be in for him. I just can't see us spending so much on one player
Yeah me too.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:09 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 am

I’m just really not sure he’s worth the money. He’s had a decent season but ultimately he’s not exactly torn up trees in the championship

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:10 am

Cannot hurt that Ekdal is spending the week with Gyokeres in Swedish training.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:17 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:09 am

I’m just really not sure he’s worth the money. He’s had a decent season but ultimately he’s not exactly torn up trees in the championship
We paid 15m for Wood from the Champ, was it 5 years ago?

I’d say 18 goals and 7 assists is pretty impressive so far, aside from the hold up play, dribbling ability and work rate he adds.

You’re always gonna pay a premium for Champ players, though, Semenyo just cost Bournemouth 10-12m and he has nowhere near the same record?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

What I don’t understand is where Foster & Obafemi fit in (I’m assuming we’ve bought him to play in his favoured position, up front) if we then wanted Gyokeres too. And of course we all want to sign Tella, whose hold up play and heading has convinced me that he could play there tbh. I’m not sure we need him with those three, unless we’re not signing Tella or think one of the others will need longer to develop.

Would like to keep Barnsey around for another Prem season too, for his dressing room impact and because our current crop have a long way to go to learn the dark arts needed in the PL.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:24 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:10 am
Cannot hurt that Ekdal is spending the week with Gyokeres in Swedish training.
Given how old they are they probably grew up playing in the same teams through the different age levels.

He’s the best all round striker I’ve seen in the Championship. Physicality, pace, touch, can go past players, score goals, create goals. Looks a very good player!

Also, there’s probably more chance that we’re in the PL next season than David Moyes or West Ham as things stand.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:27 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

He's been much more than decent. It's why he's likely to attract interest from multiple PL clubs this summer

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:28 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:17 am
We paid 15m for Wood from the Champ, was it 5 years ago?

I’d say 18 goals and 7 assists is pretty impressive so far, aside from the hold up play, dribbling ability and work rate he adds.

You’re always gonna pay a premium for Champ players, though, Semenyo just cost Bournemouth 10-12m and he has nowhere near the same record?
I’m not sure where he fits and for that kind of money I’m really not sure he is worth it. Tella has a better record and I suspect he will be cheaper than Gykores.

We paid what 12m for Cornet who is considerably better.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:30 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:28 am
I’m not sure where he fits and for that kind of money I’m really not sure he is worth it. Tella has a better record and I suspect he will be cheaper than Gykores.

We paid what 12m for Cornet who is considerably better.
Considerably more injury prone too. Strange comparison for various reasons