The Stone of Radnor

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Surrey_Longsider
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 14 times

The Stone of Radnor

Post by Surrey_Longsider » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi fellow clarets - last year I posted that I had released my debut novel 'The Stone of Radnor'. I am delighted to announce that today it reached No.1 in the Amazon free ebook lists for the Teen Sword & Sorcery category. But more importantly, overall it has just entered the Top 100 best sellers (currently #88). My free ebook campaign is still live so if you fancy supporting a Burnley born author then I would be forever indebted if you download my book - I would be even more chuffed if you bought a copy :lol: :https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stone-Radnor-G ... 5249?psc=1
These 10 users liked this post: Ric_C Tricky Trevor Vegas Claret Guller Bull Buxtonclaret bobinho Jellybean BleedingClaret Darnhill Claret Tw@

Gunfury
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: The Stone of Radnor

Post by Gunfury » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:09 pm

334 views and not one person can congratulate a fellow claret on his achievement…anyway,well done sir
This user liked this post: Surrey_Longsider

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:16 pm

Congratulations on writing a book and that it's doing well.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:22 pm

Fair play.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:52 pm

Just seen this superb Surrey, well done.

It’s a tough market so you must be doing something right… congratulations.

Elbarad
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 am

Downloaded with my kindle unlimited subscription.

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:29 am

Hi, Surrey. Congratulations on your achievement! I released my first novel 3 years ago (at the age of 64) and know how hard it is to get published. I now have four crime novels and two children's books under my belt, so keep writing! I have ordered the Kindle version of The Stone of Radnor. By the way, I live in Kent, not too far from the Surrey border.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:23 am

Hi Surrey. That’s a great achievement well done and hopefully many more. We’ll definitely have a look at it.

Tonbridge. What name can we find your crime novels under. Thanks.

Surrey_Longsider

Post by Surrey_Longsider » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:28 am

Thanks Elwa - yes it is tough and the journey has had more downs than ups. But this weekend is a big up so going to enjoy it while it lasts :)
elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:52 pm
Just seen this superb Surrey, well done.

It’s a tough market so you must be doing something right… congratulations.

Surrey_Longsider

Post by Surrey_Longsider » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:31 am

Thanks Tonbridge - drop me a link to yours - I believe in supporting other writers. It has been hard work. I am a single parent with a full time full-on job. Getting this far has been a long journey. So enjoying the current high, my local bookshop have been of enormous help too and I have my first Author Event in two weeks.
TonbridgeClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:29 am
Hi, Surrey. Congratulations on your achievement! I released my first novel 3 years ago (at the age of 64) and know how hard it is to get published. I now have four crime novels and two children's books under my belt, so keep writing! I have ordered the Kindle version of The Stone of Radnor. By the way, I live in Kent, not too far from the Surrey border.

distortiondave
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:41 am

I've bought a copy, so I want my tenner back when you sell the film rights to Warner Brothers or Disney!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:42 am

Nice one Surrey. The Earl of Radnor lives down the road from me!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:48 am

Surrey_Longsider wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:27 pm
Hi fellow clarets - last year I posted that I had released my debut novel 'The Stone of Radnor'. I am delighted to announce that today it reached No.1 in the Amazon free ebook lists for the Teen Sword & Sorcery category. But more importantly, overall it has just entered the Top 100 best sellers (currently #88). My free ebook campaign is still live so if you fancy supporting a Burnley born author then I would be forever indebted if you download my book - I would be even more chuffed if you bought a copy :lol: :https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stone-Radnor-G ... 5249?psc=1
You then will be contemperaneous with Burnley born Stephen Booth who bases his thriller novels in the Peak District area with Cooper & Fry.

Wish you very good luck and success. I will buy it for my knindle.

TonbridgeClaret

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:00 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:23 am
Hi Surrey. That’s a great achievement well done and hopefully many more. We’ll definitely have a look at it.

Tonbridge. What name can we find your crime novels under. Thanks.
Hi Beddie. I write under the name Evan Baldock.

Thanks for showing an interest, my next crime novel is about a group of Burnley fans travelling to away games, but it won't be out for several months.
This user liked this post: beddie

TonbridgeClaret

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm

Surrey_Longsider wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:31 am
Thanks Tonbridge - drop me a link to yours - I believe in supporting other writers. It has been hard work. I am a single parent with a full time full-on job. Getting this far has been a long journey. So enjoying the current high, my local bookshop have been of enormous help too and I have my first Author Event in two weeks.
Hi Surrey. Thanks for the offer of support, please find the link to my first novel below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-Youre-Dea ... 249&sr=1-2

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:13 pm

TonbridgeClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:00 pm
Hi Beddie. I write under the name Evan Baldock.

Thanks for showing an interest, my next crime novel is about a group of Burnley fans travelling to away games, but it won't be out for several months.
Thanks Tonbridge. My wife’s just ordered one of your crime novels.

TonbridgeClaret

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:13 pm
Thanks Tonbridge. My wife’s just ordered one of your crime novels.
I'm very grateful. Thanks Beddie.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:40 pm

Well done sir 👍

distortiondave
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:54 pm

I'm interested to know the process, so now we've got at least 2 Claret published fiction authors, how does writing a book work?
Do you write your novel anyway, and then send it out to publishers to see if they want it?
Or do you tell a publisher what you're interested in writing about then they make you an offer?
Or is there like a forum where you say 'I can write about 1930's Lancashire!' and then a publisher comes and asks you for something pertaining to your expertise?

I'm genuinely curious how it works.

TonbridgeClaret

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:33 pm

distortiondave wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:54 pm
I'm interested to know the process, so now we've got at least 2 Claret published fiction authors, how does writing a book work?
Do you write your novel anyway, and then send it out to publishers to see if they want it?
Or do you tell a publisher what you're interested in writing about then they make you an offer?
Or is there like a forum where you say 'I can write about 1930's Lancashire!' and then a publisher comes and asks you for something pertaining to your expertise?

Hi Dave.
In my case, I was given the plot-line for my first novel (Bang Bang, You're Dead) by the mother of Suggs, the lead singer of Madness, who I met many years ago. She is sadly no longer with us. Anyway, I wrote the book and had it professionally edited, both development and line editing (which was brutal and almost made me give up - my writing skills are not great). Once finished, I forwarded it to about 70 publishers and amazingly received 9 offers of publication, not because of my writing, but because they loved the story.
The whole process proceeds at a snails pace, with only a tiny percentage of books written reaching publication. All I would say to finish is, if you're thinking about it, give it a go, it's incredibly rewarding!
These 2 users liked this post: Surrey_Longsider distortiondave

Surrey_Longsider

Post by Surrey_Longsider » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm

Hi DD - my story is that I always thought I had a novel or two in me. I joined a creative writing group, got some inspiration and my book started to form. I never intended to publish, it was just going to be for me. However, I read chapters to my writing group, they loved it and my tutor encouraged me to seek publication.

On that - there are differing ways to publish: Traditionally, hybrid or self-publish. Traditionally requires a literary agent, so you tout the agents - only around 2% of authors get taken on by an agent. The agent then has to sell your novel to a publisher. Hybrid is usually a publishing house where you share the risk (fees). There are good and bad companies offering this deal and it can be very expensive for little reward financially. Self-publishing you do yourself through a specific company, such as Amazon KDP or Ingram Spark. KDP is actually free to self-publish and offers good royalties - however quality will only be as good as you are willing to put in (time, effort and money). Plus you then have to market and promote yourself (more time, effort and money).

Purists say you are not a real author unless you go the traditional route. However, the internet has opended up the opportunity for self-published authors these days. I self-published and have paid a lot of money for professional editing, designed my own cover, doing my own promotion and marketing and hoping with a little luck I get a few sales. I personally only care about people enjoying the story. If I do make anything (unlikely) then I will be a happy man.

Hope that all makes an iota of sense? :)
distortiondave wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:54 pm

These 2 users liked this post: TonbridgeClaret distortiondave

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:14 pm

Absolutely excellent news. Congratulations. 👍🏻👏

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 pm

Tremendous achievement all of you who are published authors

Elbarad
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 pm

Finished reading your book, I enjoyed it and await the next release. Keep up the good work.

Surrey_Longsider

Post by Surrey_Longsider » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:28 pm

Hi Elbarad - my apologies... I have just seen this. So glad you enjoyed it. FYI book two has just been released this week: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gods-Winter-Gu ... C89&sr=8-2
Elbarad wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 pm
Finished reading your book, I enjoyed it and await the next release. Keep up the good work.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:35 pm

Congratulations on your success. I am in the process of getting my first book published - been a bit of a minefield but hopefully “Thank you for the fahrt” should be available soon !!

Surrey_Longsider

Post by Surrey_Longsider » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:52 pm

HB Claret wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:35 pm
Congratulations on your success. I am in the process of getting my first book published - been a bit of a minefield but hopefully “Thank you for the fahrt” should be available soon !!
Good Luck HB - always on hand to offer advice. Let me know when its out :)