Thoughts on the City game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Thoughts on the City game

Post by KateR » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:50 pm

I just want to say watching from Houston, Teas that the Burnley crowd were loud and made me so proud, could continually hear them above the City supporters, well done, very well done if you were there :)

I'm not going to comment further on the team and management, including the Chairman and his notes for this particular game, we win as a team and lose as a team.
This user liked this post: HandforthClaret

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Re: Thoughts on the City game

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:30 am

Spot on , we had a blip against Sheffield United and we responded I think we will be ok .

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:06 am

How does it keep happening against City?
Look at the performances we have put in against other “big” sides. Had stunning wins, ground out draws over the years.

All those different players, different managers, different decades. That’s some powerful voodoo.

Haaland is just a s’’’ Shaun Goater though 😁

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:35 am

From my perspective we were doomed from the outset as VK set his side up to play the same way as they normally do. Going head to head with such a formidable team was bound to end in abject failure. I think he got it wrong but he just couldn't bring himself to "park the bus" at his old club in front of his old fans and manager. I'm not too worried as we have our main objective still intact with no further distractions or sideshows ahead.
These 2 users liked this post: Hbclaret007 MT03ALG

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:40 am

Forgot about it already
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:40 am

Look nobody is shocked at the result .

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:45 am

4midable wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:40 am
Forgot about it already
Forgot about what ?

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am

CaptJohn wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:35 am
From my perspective we were doomed from the outset as VK set his side up to play the same way as they normally do. Going head to head with such a formidable team was bound to end in abject failure. I think he got it wrong but he just couldn't bring himself to "park the bus" at his old club in front of his old fans and manager. I'm not too worried as we have our main objective still intact with no further distractions or sideshows ahead.
I didn't think we set up the same - similar maybe. Our full backs played as full backs mostly, we pressed their defence in a different way which got City stumped for a bit. But there was - maybe is - no accounting for Haaland who was the major difference in the first half. We managed to impose our way to some degree against Man United in the League Cup and certainly against Bournemouth.

I agree though that it would have been an interesting experiment to try and 'park the bus', to see if we could do it. Unfortunately Ekdal was injured (I assume) so we could only use Taylor and Cork in addition to Beyer and Al Dakhil.

I'd like to compare the City match to the League Cup game against Man United. At half-time in that match we were 1-0 down. In the second half United scored one more and we then created enough chances to equalise if not win. After that game I felt good about our progress as a team because of that. In reality however United knew they'd done enough and just let us play. They probably had their next games to consider.

With City the half-time situation was similar. City had effectively won the game at 2-0. If we actually had the temerity to score a goal they could comfortably get another. The fact that they didn't and came out and destroyed us, as I reckon United could have done, has probably done us a favour in the long run, unpleasant as it was. It tells everyone associated with BFC, if they didn't already know it, how much work there is to be done.

Why did City do this. Apart from 'because they could', I can think of a few possible reasons:

1. They have a break for a couple of weeks - no immediate games to prepare for, and it would do the City club, players and fans good.
2. Pep, despite his politeness in dealing with the issue, was getting fed up with all the bull in the media about VK getting his job so decided to put VK in his place.
3. Thinking more kindly of Guardiola, he wanted to illustrate to VK that he really has a lot of work to do when we get into the Premier League.

I'm not despondent about this result or performance. I enjoyed the first half effort and the reminder of our current place in English football so we don't get too carried away with things. Let's enjoy the rest of this season which has brought us a surprising amount of high quality football and success.
These 6 users liked this post: CaptJohn MT03ALG SussexDon1inIreland gukwonan k90bfc Frenchclaret

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:41 am

Or maybe Pep needed to justify spending £100 million on one player in a game versus a whole team put together for -£50 million.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:45 am

we lost to at team who average three goals a game, won their last game seven nil in the camps lg away from home and have a record breaking goal scorer at the top of his game being fed by one of the best midfielders to have ever played the game and we were at thier ground......but we lost because our full backs pushed forward?
This user liked this post: rincon

Stproc
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Stproc » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:49 am

It ceases to be sport when city are involved. We, like everybody else, were just out-financed.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:00 am

Hipper wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am
I didn't think we set up the same - similar maybe. Our full backs played as full backs mostly, we pressed their defence in a different way which got City stumped for a bit. But there was - maybe is - no accounting for Haaland who was the major difference in the first half. We managed to impose our way to some degree against Man United in the League Cup and certainly against Bournemouth.

I agree though that it would have been an interesting experiment to try and 'park the bus', to see if we could do it. Unfortunately Ekdal was injured (I assume) so we could only use Taylor and Cork in addition to Beyer and Al Dakhil.

I'd like to compare the City match to the League Cup game against Man United. At half-time in that match we were 1-0 down. In the second half United scored one more and we then created enough chances to equalise if not win. After that game I felt good about our progress as a team because of that. In reality however United knew they'd done enough and just let us play. They probably had their next games to consider.

With City the half-time situation was similar. City had effectively won the game at 2-0. If we actually had the temerity to score a goal they could comfortably get another. The fact that they didn't and came out and destroyed us, as I reckon United could have done, has probably done us a favour in the long run, unpleasant as it was. It tells everyone associated with BFC, if they didn't already know it, how much work there is to be done.

Why did City do this. Apart from 'because they could', I can think of a few possible reasons:

1. They have a break for a couple of weeks - no immediate games to prepare for, and it would do the City club, players and fans good.
2. Pep, despite his politeness in dealing with the issue, was getting fed up with all the bull in the media about VK getting his job so decided to put VK in his place.
3. Thinking more kindly of Guardiola, he wanted to illustrate to VK that he really has a lot of work to do when we get into the Premier League.

I'm not despondent about this result or performance. I enjoyed the first half effort and the reminder of our current place in English football so we don't get too carried away with things. Let's enjoy the rest of this season which has brought us a surprising amount of high quality football and success.
Non of those points are valid, City put 6 past us because that's what Pep does, he doesn't let up like (frustratingly) VK does at 3-0. I also disagree about United could've done similar to us and just let us play, City were 6-0 up against them earlier in the season btw.

ClaretLoup

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:00 am

The scale of a club like City compared to Burnley is eye stretching. They made a net profit of £85 million on transfers this year after offloading Jesus, Sterling and Zinchenko, three young players to Southampton for £25 million as well as Egan-Riley and Muric to us, 14 players in total. They currently have 13 out on loan.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:01 am

Couple of points to note from watching it on the TV.

As others have probably said, they had an extra days rest, and it showed in the second half

If we were going to attempt to go toe to toe with them, surely we had to play Muric. Felt like that was the main mistake from VK on the day

We are getting a LOT of plaudits on twitter for the way we setup and attempted to take them on. Don't think it's done our reputation any harm which is good.

If you look at the stats it was never a 6-0, it's just we caught them on an extremely good day unfortunately.

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:05 am

Stproc wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:49 am
It ceases to be sport when city are involved. We, like everybody else, were just out-financed.
Thats the worry with the future in mind, nobody wants to be 2nd so if United get the middle east owners as well as Newcastle and City those 3 teams are going to have "unlimited" funds - Villa are currently 11th - but 11 points clear of 12th - then 12th to 20th (bottom) there's 4 points between them. OK you could say you are surprised that West Ham and Leicester are down there in bottom 9 as along with Everton they must have hefty wage bills and you could say if any of the current bottom 9 in Premier was in championship this season there's no way they would be as far clear as you !!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 am

CaptJohn wrote:
I don't think you understand VK at all, especially if you think he should have parked the bus.
It would probably have ended in defeat anyway, but the team would have learnt nothing. Every minute of every game, every training session, is geared to the team improving, learning on the job. He says it every Press Conference, every Post Match Interview.
The players will have learnt far more from the 6-0 at City than they ever learned by stuffing PNE.
It was a harsh lesson, with a lot of moments that were good, but if it makes us a better team next season, it will have been worth it. I'm certain VK had no regrets, and I don't either.
These 2 users liked this post: Stproc jjclaret

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:08 am

City are doing what Chelsea did and Brighton are doing on a smaller scale, huge investment upfront to build the infrastructure and a solid team then making profits to return that investment from buying young academy types. That Chelsea academy (or Chelsea signing teenagers) must have produced over half a billion worth of talent.

Some think the Chelsea academy is bad because Chelsea don't really play many of them but it's an conveyer belt of talent and an absolute machine at pumping out pro footballers. You're not gonna sit and stagnante, you're shipped out on loan early to learn the game.

An absolute dream academy for any young aspiring footballer.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:10 am

Haaland has only started the cup game against Arsenal so that is a measure of how seriously Pep viewed us.

Just before the first goal Haaland was starting to have a little tantrum, getting frustrated. The mistake with both CBs overcommitting came at just the wrong time.

So it is one of those things, his tactics were OK, a risky high line sure, but we have to trust he knows what he is doing. We move on.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:15 am

First half we were brilliant. Particularly first 30 but even after their goals we still steadied and created a chance for Maatsen on the stroke of half time from some lovely football.

The man to man marking (see pic) to stop their inverted full backs / Rodri from getting on the ball was very brave and worked for a while. Unfortunately our subs at half time, added to the robot upfront, added to us playing Wednesday vs their Tuesday (and they also changed 7 players around!) led to that press becoming half hearted second half and big spaces appearing.

VK will never ‘park the bus’… it’s just not in his DNA. Our 34-1 aggregate score over the previous years barely suggests parking the bus works either!
Attachments
E0C8ED83-D67E-47DE-932C-82D7A7079EC4.jpeg
E0C8ED83-D67E-47DE-932C-82D7A7079EC4.jpeg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 2845 times

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:18 am

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:15 am
First half we were brilliant. Particularly first 30 but even after their goals we still steadied and created a chance for Maatsen on the stroke of half time from some lovely football.

The man to man marking (see pic) to stop their inverted full backs / Rodri from getting on the ball was very brave and worked for a while. Unfortunately our subs at half time, added to the robot upfront, added to us playing Wednesday vs their Tuesday (and they also changed 7 players around!) led to that press becoming half hearted second half and big spaces appearing.

VK will never ‘park the bus’… it’s just not in his DNA. Our 34-1 aggregate score over the previous years barely suggests parking the bus works either!
At least we had 30 minutes of a good competitive encounter instead of men vs boys from the off!

ClaretLoup

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:28 am

Only Everton and Brentford have left the Ethiad undefeated this season in all competitions. In the domestic cups City have knocked out Chelsea twice, Liverpool and Arsenal. They’ve won every Champions League tie.

Terrier
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:37 am

After their champions league game I expected a b squad against us and I still expected a thrashing, proud as punch when I saw the city line up against us, ok we got a hiding but nothing to be ashamed of, little old burnley has landed ( again)
Just a note on Haaland, looked as pleased with his hat trick against us as he did with his 5 mid week against top opposition which says a lot!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:07 am

No point parking the bus at City as sooner or later they'll find a way to break you down, the reality is whatever side or style we employed they simply possess better players, but that reality applies to most clubs who visit City.

Blame Shearer for giving us the worst possible draw, and focus on winning the league, which at the start of the season we'd have been delighted with.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:25 am

As soon as the draw was made we were out of the cup and I think most fans expected a thrashing. Man City should be beating us 6-0 based on their budget ( unlimited funds).

The main thing was that we learned something by playing a team which is one of the best in the world. We will know we can’t rest on our laurels based on the Championship and we will have to strengthen. The gap must seem huge to teams we have beaten easily in the Championship this season. It is odd how we do get results against the other top teams but never City though. They obviously can be beaten and Wigan did it in the cup as massive underdogs. Will be interesting to see how Sheff Utd do against them. I think they’ll lose but get a better result than 6-0 though.

On the long term I think we’ll benefit from this result.

TPClaret
Been Liked: 98 times

Post by TPClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:26 am

We’ve tried parking the bus, before they had Haaland and still shipped 5 everytime.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:30 am

Good atmosphere throughout and a worth the ticket fee to watch a players like KDB, Foden and the beast that is Haaland in action. Our lads gave 100% throughout but sometimes you have to accept there is another level to the game. Luckily we have a Manager in the same mould as Pep and he is aspiring to reach the highest level he can with our Club.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:40 am

Perfect timing for our team. Helps the team stay focussed, makes them realise how much further they need to grow to reach the standards city displayed.

The most important thing to me is after you've experienced playing a team like that at the Etihad, no fixture in our division should hold anything to fear at all..UTC.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:46 am

CaptJohn wrote:
Except we didn't, there were no inverted full backs, we went man for man.

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 am

I'm just glad we all spend a fortune going to Wembley to watch that.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 am

I think we missed Brownhill's tenacity in midfield.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:04 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 am
I think we missed Brownhill's tenacity in midfield.
We definitely missed his energy, and it's telling that in the 2 games he's missed this season we've leaked 11 goals.

Even if he had played we might well have still lost both those games, however I doubt the defeats would have been as heavy.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:11 am

I assumed we'd lose and clearly I wasn't wrong and even with our new found "footballing" team I assumed it would be fairly comfortable for City, but I was hopeful it wouldn't be quite the usual utter spanking and that was the really disappointing thing for me. I'm also bothered about how that could affect us mentally going into the final straight in the league as we're not used to losing and we're definitely not used to being made to look so ordinary. I hope it spurs us on rather than saps our confidence or makes us question what we're doing.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:11 am
I assumed we'd lose and clearly I wasn't wrong and even with our new found "footballing" team I assumed it would be fairly comfortable for City, but I was hopeful it wouldn't be quite the usual utter spanking and that was the really disappointing thing for me. I'm also bothered about how that could affect us mentally going into the final straight in the league as we're not used to losing and we're definitely not used to being made to look so ordinary. I hope it spurs us on rather than saps our confidence or makes us question what we're doing.
Sunderland will reap the backlash, and the City game won't affect us in the slightest, Vinny will assure that.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony KateR

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:21 am

Guller Bull wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:06 am
Haaland is just a s’’’ Shaun Goater though 😁
Goater appeared on SSN on the day before the game and I thought that might be a bad omen - but they've had, and have, some decent strikers since.

Foolishly, I looked at who had scored the 35 goals we've conceded there on our last eight visits so I'll share that with you.

Riyad Mahrez 6
Sergio Agüero 5
Bernardo Silva 4
Erling Haaland 3
Leroy Sané 3
Julián Álvarez 2
Kevin de Bruyne 2
Phil Foden 2
Fernandinho 1
Gabriel Jesus 1
Benjamin Mendy 1
Nicolas Otamendi 1
Cole Palmer 1
David Silva 1
Ferran Torres 1
Kevin Long (og)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:22 am

We should have played Muric, he hasn't any experience this year of playing against Premier league opposition. Peacock Farrell has had a few bonus league games, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

Brave to only go into the game with one recognized midfielder, but JGB did well and Cork couldn't influence things when he came on.

Foster's pace/closing down will be far more useful than Barnes in the Premier league.

Our CHs will have to be coached the art of defending, going backwards towards goal. All 3 cup games we have been caught out. It's obvious they spend more time on the ball, passing in this league, but next season will be different.

Haalands first goal wasn't a shot, he poked it round BPF, but has so much power it went straight in.

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:24 am

With the 3 loan players up against it will give VK
an insight to their ability to make the grade every day school day UTC

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:24 am

I wonder if VK played Peacock-Farrelll instead of Muric suspecting that we might concede a few goals and therefore there would be no damage to Muric's confidence.....

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:28 am

MT03ALG wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:24 am
I wonder if VK played Peacock-Farrelll instead of Muric suspecting that we might concede a few goals and therefore there would be no damage to Muric's confidence.....
Absolutely no chance that would have been his thought process. He obviously thought BPF deserved the gig because he's been our cup goalkeeper throughout. For me, this was an error, but it is what it is.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:35 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:21 am
Goater appeared on SSN on the day before the game and I thought that might be a bad omen - but they've had, and have, some decent strikers since.

Foolishly, I looked at who had scored the 35 goals we've conceded there on our last eight visits so I'll share that with you.

Riyad Mahrez 6
Sergio Agüero 5
Bernardo Silva 4
Erling Haaland 3
Leroy Sané 3
Julián Álvarez 2
Kevin de Bruyne 2
Phil Foden 2
Fernandinho 1
Gabriel Jesus 1
Benjamin Mendy 1
Nicolas Otamendi 1
Cole Palmer 1
David Silva 1
Ferran Torres 1
Kevin Long (og)
Kevin Long in extremely esteemed company!! Just about the only way our players can get on the score sheet!! Fair play Kev.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:28 am
Absolutely no chance that would have been his thought process. He obviously thought BPF deserved the gig because he's been our cup goalkeeper throughout. For me, this was an error, but it is what it is.
Not just an error (which it was, a big one, not least because it cements in the fans minds that BPF isn’t good enough).

It also goes to suggest that this is it for cups going forward, reserve keepers etc. I was really hoping that when the new owners came in the days of reserve cup teams would be over, because that is where the glory is, apart from an occasional promotion. So I’m really disappointed in that.

But as you say, it is what it is, we have still exceeded my wildest expectations this season and Kompany deserves much of the credit.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:27 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:35 am
Kevin Long in extremely esteemed company!! Just about the only way our players can get on the score sheet!! Fair play Kev.
He went in for another soon after but gave a penalty away 😂😂
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud boatshed bill

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:46 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:41 am
Or maybe Pep needed to justify spending £100 million on one player in a game versus a whole team put together for -£50 million.
I said a similar thing to my son this morning about them bring on Grealish who cost more than double our team. He replied that is the same argument that the rest of the championship says about us. He’s was right so I won’t be talking about their finances anymore.

I am conflicted about this game as I should be so upset but I can only see positives from it it is mad.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:15 pm

I don't see playing, and losing, to City as any sort of indicator for how we will fare in the PL.

Our long standing tradition of getting hammered there and the fact that they are one of the best teams on the planet mean the result was essentially irrelevant. Our PL standing will be determined on where we stand against the likes of Palace, West Ham, Villa etc.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:43 pm

KateR wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:50 pm
I'm not going to comment further on the team and management, including the Chairman and his notes for this particular game, we win as a team and lose as a team.
Excuse me Kate but where are the Chairman's notes for this game? I think that he does them for home games in the match program. I am curious as to what he said

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:44 pm

Watched on TV
Thanks to all the great Claret support that went
Thought like you all did, that we did really well for first 30 mins
But also thought that the score flattered them as every bobble or rebound seemed to go their way.
We also tired and once it got to 3-0 it didn’t matter after that.
UTC

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:50 pm

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:33 pm

jtv wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:43 pm
Excuse me Kate but where are the Chairman's notes for this game? I think that he does them for home games in the match program. I am curious as to what he said
not the programme notes, from Instagram:

on Instagram, Pace wrote: "So proud of our team and the grit they showed."

"We learn from this and we get better. And our 7,800 away fans were loud and proud the whole match.

"No matter the result, our claret and blue team, coaches, and supporters are class. UTC!"

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:46 pm

Thanks Kate. Wise words :)
This user liked this post: KateR

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:23 pm

Having thought about it a bit

Its City, with a two week break, on form, and with one of the best and deepest squads in the world, and we lost and gave it a good go till they woke up

I'm not reading that much into it, but it will have dampened expectations for next season, which is no bad thing

And it will have zero effect on us for the rest of this season

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:05 pm

I will be watching the semi final, Sheff Utd v Man City with great interest. It should provide a true indication of our performance as a benchmark. Personally I think Sheffield will set up totally different to us.they will no doubt get beaten, and not be as easy on the eye as we were before caving in. However I think they will contain City to 2 or 3 goals. I may be wrong