Thoughts on the City game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Thoughts on the City game

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:18 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:05 pm
I will be watching the semi final, Sheff Utd v Man City with great interest. It should provide a true indication of our performance as a benchmark. Personally I think Sheffield will set up totally different to us.they will no doubt get beaten, and not be as easy on the eye as we were before caving in. However I think they will contain City to 2 or 3 goals. I may be wrong
City coming off a trip to Bayern a few days earlier, not saying it gives Sheff Utd a chance but I don't think City will smash them

ynot
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by ynot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:20 pm

I'd rather see us play football and lose 6-0 than lose 5-0 trying to park the bus
These 2 users liked this post: Ampth7 Colburn_Claret

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:30 pm

I’m hoping that this result will be a catalyst for our lads to become even better as individual players and as a team. I guess the result could have the opposite effect, but I suspect VK won’t allow any of that!

In terms of the game overall, it was a shame that we conceded 2 quick-fire goals before half time because up until then we matched them and appeared to be growing in confidence. Unfortunately, when you have freaks of nature like Haaland playing against you having already scored 5 goals earlier in the week to add to the other 9000 goals he’s scored so far this season, sometimes you just have to say ‘too good’ and move on.

I’m also hoping that off the back of Saturday, that we absolutely cuff a championship team between now and the season end much like City did to us - preferably at Ewood!!

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 pm

I believed we would not be thrashed and up to the second goal still had confidence that we could pull something off .
I came away thinking that while the Cork and Barnes half time substitutions knocked the whole balance of the team , City were unstoppable on that form.
Hard to give any credit to City considering the enormous resources they have but you can't helped being in awe of players like DeBruyne, Harland, Mahrez , Foden and the rest.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:55 pm

CaptJohn wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:35 am
From my perspective we were doomed from the outset as VK set his side up to play the same way as they normally do. Going head to head with such a formidable team was bound to end in abject failure. I think he got it wrong but he just couldn't bring himself to "park the bus" at his old club in front of his old fans and manager. I'm not too worried as we have our main objective still intact with no further distractions or sideshows ahead.
I have no idea how this is an interpretation. There was no "same way as they normally do" about it, and that might be where the problem lay! As RVClaret has said they clearly went man-to-man marking, which we don't do at all, we work in a series of zonal presence. We also weren't on the front foot, they dominated possession, not us, so it interrupted our "normal" flow.

They were a much higher standard than what we're used to. We often concede space and possession in the central area of the central third. City played through us from here. And we ran out of ideas in the 2nd half

I have zero concerns. it does not set a marker for next season