Women's Athletics

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lip
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Women's Athletics

Post by Lip » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:46 pm

Some changes taking place.

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/s6kMPU
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish NewClaret

roperclaret
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Women's Athletics

Post by roperclaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:58 am

About time

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:14 am

Surprised, but delighted.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:47 am

Long overdue

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 am

Hopefully they will now revoke all Olympic, World Championship and Commonwealth Games medals won by transwomen.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:58 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 am
Hopefully they will now revoke all Olympic, World Championship and Commonwealth Games medals won by transwomen.
They haven't won any? That doesn't seem right since they have such an unfair advantage.

Anyway, thank god we've also ended the career of women with DSDs like Caster Semenya, Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:06 am

Normally you would wait for more than 2 minutes once you’ve set up your Zinger! Having to immediately answer with your own punchline is a bit sad 😂

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:08 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:06 am
Normally you would wait for more than 2 minutes once you’ve set up your Zinger! Having to immediately answer with your own punchline is a bit sad 😂
As smug and clever as I think I am, I didn't actually want to leave such an unpleasant and stupid post out there without context
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

android
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:38 am

Pleased to see that Seb Coe reads and heeds this board. It seems I underestimated him when I set up a critical thread in his name. Apologies to Seb.

It is very good news but needs to trickle down to grassroots level. I think English Schools Athletics have made a positive statement. But it is not likely to restore sanity in places like North America anytime soon.

It would be even better if it helps other sports such as Cycling relocate some backbones. Numerous injustices happening in that sport. One recent example was the retirement of Hannah Arensman in cyclocross. The final straw for her was finishing 4th between two 3rd and 5th placed males in a women's event. Don't be fooled by the male rights advocates who claim this only impacts a handful of people.

Well done Seb. Even more well done to Amelia Strickler and the other brave current women's athletes who put their heads above the parapet.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:26 pm

Great news and a sensible decision . Our girls and women won’t have to complete against blokes now .

!aiboforceN
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by !aiboforceN » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:48 pm

I agree that it's difficult to find a fair solution and that sport needs a level playing field. This move seems fairest to female athletes... but doesn't offer a solution for transgender sportswomen, of course.

At risk of going slightly off-topic, I also support JK Rowling's stance against convicted violent transgender women being imprisoned with other women - people's safety must come first.

The sad flip-side though is that it does seem to have greatly added to a backlash against ALL trans people - not just the few violent criminals that exist in every walk of life.

As the father of a 25yo transgender son - born a girl, but aware of being in the wrong body since age 11 - it has been fantastic to see how much happier, confident and well-rounded he has become since transitioning. I'm hugely proud of him. For those of you who remember Spades, she was quite heartbroken when my son came out as trans, it left her feeling almost bereaved at first - but her "new" grandson quickly became her "best lad" and they had a very special bond.

However - unlike a gay man - my son is not legally allowed to marry his partner. Many of the equal rights planned for trans people have quietly been withdrawn by the current government, largely due to perceived public pressures, and (IMO) based on the ill-informed misinformation about trans people to be found in the more right-wing press. I certainly don't mean to make this political, but as it has left my son far more likely to be the victim of violence than in pre-Brexit Britain - you'll perhaps forgive me for wishing for a fairer situation for all.
These 2 users liked this post: Lip ŽižkovClaret

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:46 pm

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:48 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:46 pm
How can this be fair?

https://twitter.com/WPGATour/status/164 ... ZGR3w&s=19
Complete joke and blatant cheating

Funny they turned the comments off on twitter.

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:01 pm

Avi Silverberg, self identified as a female, won the female section in the Heroes Classic Weight lifting comp in Alberta.
Attachments
FsPlPaBaEAY_zU2.jpg
FsPlPaBaEAY_zU2.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 540 times

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:06 pm

The current Blackburn men's team are entering the Women's Super League next season, in the hope they can finish the season with a positive goal difference.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:43 pm

The thing that's been wrong all along about women and trans women in sport, is that two entirely separate questions have been mixed up.

Debate 1. Universal truth - either you have a Y chromosome or you haven't. Binary issue. Since the time that the story of Adam and Eve was first told, and long before they even knew what a chromosome was, people with Y chromosomes have been described as male, people without have been described as female. The debate is whether that description still applies, or whether "male" and "female" now have different meanings.

Debate 2. Consider the rules under the old definition of male and female. Should the rules about women's sport slide across so they apply to the new definition of male and female, or should they stay unchanged with the old definition of Y chromosome or non-Y chromosome? Obviously until recently it made no difference because there was no difference between "male" and "Y-chromosome". Now, apparently, there is.

IMO the very best the trans lobby can hope for is that men's sport and women's sport changes its name to reflect their new reality. (And I don't think the public is ready for that idea yet.) But the debate about trans women playing women's sport should never have been taken that seriously, because it is (to me) obvious that the exclusion of men from women's sport was because of their physical advantage, and that reason for exclusion still applies.