Women’s team

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RickyBobby
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Women’s team

Post by RickyBobby » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:52 pm

Just see that the women’s team are flying high in their league, 1 point of top with a game in hand.
I see their last game is on Sunday the 30th of April at home (well in Leland) and they very well could need to win to top the league and get promoted (only the top two go up I believe).
What is the reason why this game couldn’t be played on the Turf? Other clubs have let the women play at the mens ground for big occasions, and with us playing away the day before I don’t see any reason why it can’t be done.
I know a lot of people are bigoted and would be completely against it for whatever reason but no one would be forced to go! I for one would love to see them play if it turns out to be a very important game. We could have both mens and womens sides winning their leagues and it would be great for the womens side to achieve that in Burnley in front of a few thousand instead of in leyland in front of a few hundred.
Attachments
1AA226C8-F9B5-4C1B-A524-029E4EE0E09C.jpeg
1AA226C8-F9B5-4C1B-A524-029E4EE0E09C.jpeg (220.96 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Re: Women’s team

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 pm

Don’t get many on at Leyland but would certainly get more on The Turf

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Cooclaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:11 pm

RickyBobby wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:52 pm
Just see that the women’s team are flying high in their league, 1 point of top with a game in hand.
I see their last game is on Sunday the 30th of April at home (well in Leland) and they very well could need to win to top the league and get promoted (only the top two go up I believe).
What is the reason why this game couldn’t be played on the Turf? Other clubs have let the women play at the mens ground for big occasions, and with us playing away the day before I don’t see any reason why it can’t be done.
I know a lot of people are bigoted and would be completely against it for whatever reason but no one would be forced to go! I for one would love to see them play if it turns out to be a very important game. We could have both mens and womens sides winning their leagues and it would be great for the womens side to achieve that in Burnley in front of a few thousand instead of in leyland in front of a few hundred.
It would be right and fitting and inline with the Chairman’s commitment to all at BFC. I’d happily go along and watch with my daughter and sons.

You’re right about the backwards thinking of the majority on here.

The Centre Spot
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by The Centre Spot » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:26 pm

Q. Where do Burnley FC women play?
A. Well, Burnley obviously!

Wrong, it's Leyland.
Leyland!... Leyland!...so why are they called Burnley women and not Leyland women?
Good question!

It's about time we brought football home, hardly building a legacy when all but the men's 1st team actually play in Burnley.

Newark_Claret
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Newark_Claret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:58 pm

Certainly would be a boost to play that final home game at Turf Moor and give the Women’s team the credit they deserve.

Re: promotion - it’s tough as only the top team in each of Northern Premier and Southern Premier the qualify for a playoff match to determine which one team gets promoted to the Women’s Championship (basically Tier 2 after the WSL) and that is subject to meeting criteria(ground/facilities etc..)

The Women’s team are flying and gaining support - my daughter follows them avidly (and Arsenal Ladies due to Beth Mead) - she’s in the Women’s Academy down here at Lincoln City as we’re no longer living in Lancashire. Lots of local ish games with Derby, Forest, Loughborough this season and we’re off to watch them at Forest(being played at City Ground) next weekend on 2nd April which may well be the title decider.

Women’s/Girls football is exploding and the talent/skill levels that are coming through are insane even compared to just 5years ago when my daughter started barely being able to kick a ball - it is also an entirely different experience to watch women’s/girls football (in a v good way!).

Get behind any team that represents Burnley FC #oneclub
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:34 pm

I know the Women’s team isn’t if much interest on here but personally I’m delighted how they’re doing this season. They stand a good chance of winning the league, just a shame that doesn’t guarantee promotion and there’s a playoff. Personally think at least 3 should go up - the winners from North/South, then a playoff winner from 2nd & 3rd from both leagues.

With today’s announcement of increased budget, hopefully we’ll go up this year or next. Women’s football is definitely taking off and I’d go and watch us if we didn’t play 25 miles away.

Might consider the City Ground given it’s likely a title decider!

Casper2
Been Liked: 215 times
Has Liked: 63 times

Post by Casper2 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:11 pm
It would be right and fitting and inline with the Chairman’s commitment to all at BFC. I’d happily go along and watch with my daughter and sons.

You’re right about the backwards thinking of the majority on here.
Why does everyone have to think the same as you , can’t people make their own minds up about whatever subject?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:26 pm

Also would love to see the women’s team play on the Turf!

To play home games at Leyland is ludicrous. Should be at Accy as a minimum.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:34 am

They should let them play at the turf for a season and if it ends up not making financial sense, they should move them back to Leyland or Townley Park.
Good luck to them

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:13 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:26 pm
Also would love to see the women’s team play on the Turf!

To play home games at Leyland is ludicrous. Should be at Accy as a minimum.
Even just allowing them to play at Gawthorpe, as the male youth teams do, would be far better.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:20 am

Damo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:34 am
They should let them play at the turf for a season and if it ends up not making financial sense, they should move them back to Leyland or Townley Park.
Good luck to them
It won’t make financial sense. The best women’s teams in the country (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc…) average a gate of about 3k per game. You would imagine our attendances would be a fraction of that. Which is really strange because the local derbys can get attendances of 30k plus.

Plus the added risk that it affects the pitch in a negative way.

I don’t think we are likely to see the women’s team play at the turf.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:39 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:20 am
It won’t make financial sense. The best women’s teams in the country (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc…) average a gate of about 3k per game. You would imagine our attendances would be a fraction of that. Which is really strange because the local derbys can get attendances of 30k plus.

Merseyside derby last night had 20k on, which I thought was a lot.

Assuming we’re in the Prem next year & play most of our games on a Saturday at 3pm, I’ve never really understood why we couldn’t let them play their 2pm Sunday games there? Presumably a week 6 days is enough to prepare the pitch for the next game?

Also, they only have 11 home games a year in the league, spread over a normal season, so it’s not every week, it’s about 1 in 3 or something. We’ll have 4 less next year than we did this, and our pitch has been fine, so on that basis we could likely play half of the games no problem.

In terms of cost/financial sense, in my opinion it should be free entry to ST holders as part of building the interest in the women’s team. But you obviously wouldn’t open all stands, probably just the Bob Lord, and a small fee if you need to cover the cost of opening the stadium (but presumably no higher than hiring Leyland).

That’d be my preference - that or a facility at Barnfield but I’m not sure whether fans can attend there with the access issues?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:50 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:39 am

Assuming we’re in the Prem next year & play most of our games on a Saturday at 3pm, I’ve never really understood why we couldn’t let them play their 2pm Sunday games there? Presumably a week 6 days is enough to prepare the pitch for the next game?

Also, they only have 11 home games a year in the league, spread over a normal season, so it’s not every week, it’s about 1 in 3 or something. We’ll have 4 less next year than we did this, and our pitch has been fine, so on that basis we could likely play half of the games no problem.

In terms of cost/financial sense, in my opinion it should be free entry to ST holders as part of building the interest in the women’s team. But you obviously wouldn’t open all stands, probably just the Bob Lord, and a small fee if you need to cover the cost of opening the stadium (but presumably no higher than hiring Leyland).

That’d be my preference - that or a facility at Barnfield but I’m not sure whether fans can attend there with the access issues?
Yes that’s what I mean it’s dead strange. That game the other night was actually Everton’s record attendance at 32k. But their average attendance this season is just under 3k with some games not even getting 1k on. The fans seem to get up for the big games but struggle for standard games.

It very well could be possible to sort the pitch out, I watched the Arsenal game on sky a while ago and they mentioned on commentary that it’s a challenge the WSL and PL are currently trying to resolve after complaints from smaller clubs were made.

Perhaps the best strategy in the short term is to play big games at the Turf and the rest at Gawthorpe? Like last game of the season this year when there’s a chance we become champions.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:57 am

Casper2 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm
Why does everyone have to think the same as you , can’t people make their own minds up about whatever subject?
Absolutely they can. But some of the comments made on the board the last time this was discussed went beyond a reasoned opinion and showed that many have outdated, oppressive opinions about women and women in sport.

This board is mainly an echo chamber for an older generation and it’s hard being a younger member of the board and having differing opinions sometimes.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:00 am

NewClaret wrote:
We’ll probably get less Saturday 3pm games in the Prem than we’ve had this season!

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:01 am

NewClaret wrote:

I’ve often thought that women’s games should be before the men’s games. Timetabling nightmares aside I think it would be a huge positive for the club and the town.

You get two games for the price of one. You will get younger fans watching the women and staying on to watch the men.

You get increased retail opportunities (the food infrastructure would need to be significantly bettered).

You could even let fans out into town for lunch and then back on the same ticket.

Endless possibilities

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:05 am

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:01 am
I’ve often thought that women’s games should be before the men’s games. Timetabling nightmares aside I think it would be a huge positive for the club and the town.

You get two games for the price of one. You will get younger fans watching the women and staying on to watch the men.

You get increased retail opportunities (the food infrastructure would need to be significantly bettered).

You could even let fans out into town for lunch and then back on the same ticket.

Endless possibilities
If the pitch could hack it that’s a great idea.

I often go to the hundred and it’s really opened my eyes to the women’s game. That set up is perfect to get more eyes on the product
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:06 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:50 am
Yes that’s what I mean it’s dead strange. That game the other night was actually Everton’s record attendance at 32k. But their average attendance this season is just under 3k with some games not even getting 1k on. The fans seem to get up for the big games but struggle for standard games.

It very well could be possible to sort the pitch out, I watched the Arsenal game on sky a while ago and they mentioned on commentary that it’s a challenge the WSL and PL are currently trying to resolve after complaints from smaller clubs were made.

Perhaps the best strategy in the short term is to play big games at the Turf and the rest at Gawthorpe? Like last game of the season this year when there’s a chance we become champions.
I can understand that - I’d likely go to the big games, but no chance I’d make them all.

Interesting what you say about the PL and WSL working together. Presumably you could run the PL fixtures, send them to the WSL and then they try to make the women’s games at home while the men are away? Would boost attendances/interest you’d think, and I’m sure a well maintained pitch could handle one game per week!

Like your idea though - probably need a small facility at Barnfield and to use the Turf for bigger games where possible. Hope we do see them at the Turf this season. They’ve done excellently well this season & that deserves to be recognised.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:09 am

Cooclaret wrote:

Endless possibilities
Good idea. Agree with Newcastle about the pitch, but I’d turn up early to watch at least part of the game.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:28 am

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 am

Doesn’t say how much additional investment but any is welcome!

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:42 am

This new investment is possibly linked to JJ Watt and his footballer wife.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 am

Great to see the BFC women's team doing so well, however even winning their league might not be enough to guarantee promotion sadly.

Although with the additional investment it's seems likely they will gain promotion to the Championship, and then possibly the WSL, however Burnley aren't the only club putting funding into their women's teams.

Ideally if they are to get a foothold then a permanent venue would be useful, Leyland surely isn't viable in the longer term, and whether it's a new ground locally, or they hire one of the local non-league grounds they really do need a proper base in the Burnley area.

Regarding attendances for the women's game they are definitely on the increase, particularly for some of the bigger WSL clubs, and the product is improving year on year.

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:44 am

Alan Pace has just replied to me on LinkedIn saying the long term goal is to get the women back to playing in Burnley.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230325_104143_LinkedIn.jpg
Screenshot_20230325_104143_LinkedIn.jpg (410.79 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:45 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:09 am
Good idea. Agree with Newcastle about the pitch, but I’d turn up early to watch at least part of the game.
Can we get this idea to the club? I wouldn’t know how…

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 am

Cooclaret wrote:

Endless possibilities
I think it’s fanciful thinking. What time do the men’s team begin their pre-match preparations? 1 hour before kick off/1.5 hours? Then they use the pitch for probably 1 hour after the match for their warm down. The ladies team will then need the same hour before and after the game. So you’d need 2 hours between games as an absolute minimum.

Then the facilities have got to be open for the duration, turnstile operators, catering staff etc. Then there’s the media, press, photographers setting up, Sky/BT with their equipment and use of the ground before and after televised games.

It’s something that could probably work as a one-off to garner some popularity but imagine it would be a massive logistical nightmare to do on a regular basis. That’s leaving aside the fact that the club don’t control the fixture lists.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 am
I think it’s fanciful thinking. What time do the men’s team begin their pre-match preparations? 1 hour before kick off/1.5 hours? Then they use the pitch for probably 1 hour after the match for their warm down. The ladies team will then need the same hour before and after the game. So you’d need 2 hours between games as an absolute minimum.

Then the facilities have got to be open for the duration, turnstile operators, catering staff etc. Then there’s the media, press, photographers setting up, Sky/BT with their equipment and use of the ground before and after televised games.

It’s something that could probably work as a one-off to garner some popularity but imagine it would be a massive logistical nightmare to do on a regular basis. That’s leaving aside the fact that the club don’t control the fixture lists.
Really makes you wonder how they manage it in cricket, rugby league and in football in Australia when you think of it like this doesn't it

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:15 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:05 pm
Really makes you wonder how they manage it in cricket, rugby league and in football in Australia when you think of it like this doesn't it
Do they do it on a fortnightly occurrence? Genuine question as I don’t know. Are the stadium facilities better than Turf Moor? Even the changing facilities alone I would imagine would cause a logistical issue - and this is at a venue where it’s impossible to get a drink within a half time interval.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:49 pm

RickyBobby wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:52 pm
I don't think the top 2 go up.
Last season Wolves were top, and they are still in the same league. I'm not sure if it's a play off for the winners, or Wolves didn't meet league requirements. If its the latter, it doesn't help our situation.
Great to see the ladies doing so well though.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:53 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:49 pm
I don't think the top 2 go up.
Last season Wolves were top, and they are still in the same league. I'm not sure if it's a play off for the winners, or Wolves didn't meet league requirements. If its the latter, it doesn't help our situation.
Great to see the ladies doing so well though.
North and South division have a play off. Last year Southampton won & went up, now 5th so obviously shows you can be competitive in the league above.

Ridiculous to only promote one team from 24 or so imo.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:51 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:57 am
Absolutely they can. But some of the comments made on the board the last time this was discussed went beyond a reasoned opinion and showed that many have outdated, oppressive opinions about women and women in sport.

This board is mainly an echo chamber for an older generation and it’s hard being a younger member of the board and having differing opinions sometimes.
Hi Coo, I started going on Turf in 1967, so I guess I'm a member of an older generation. But, my thinking is more aligned with yours when it comes to women's football. I've lived down in South West London since late 1980s. I now play walking football with many who are my age, both Chelsea Men and Chelsea Women supporters. One of our team started his family later in life. His daughter was a very proud mascot for a Chelsea Women game earlier this season. One of the pitches we use is at Kingsmeadow, part of the Chelsea Women's complex. My two young granddaughters are always thrilled when they meet women footballers. They met French Women's team passing through Heathrow last summer and were very excited to get their pictures with some of the players. I can't wait until I can take them to games. Of course, Chelsea Women v Burnley Women will be particularly special, especially if it is one of the games that Chelsea Women play at Stamford Bridge.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm

https://twitter.com/jjwatt/status/16476 ... Gkg4Pp-4vg

Tweet from JJ Watt with Burnley FC women on his laptop..
This user liked this post: agreenwood

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 am

The club have announced that the crunch game vs Wolves next Sunday (23rd) will take place at the Anchor Ground Darwen as Leyland is unavailable!

You would have thought that this would have been the ideal opportunity to stage a relatively big game at the Turf as it could be decisive in the title race.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:16 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 am
The club have announced that the crunch game vs Wolves next Sunday (23rd) will take place at the Anchor Ground Darwen as Leyland is unavailable!

You would have thought that this would have been the ideal opportunity to stage a relatively big game at the Turf as it could be decisive in the title race.
Agreed - especially as we will have only 1 league game left, and that more than a fortnight later. And it's not a bad time of year for playing an extra game.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:57 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:20 am

Arsenal are averaging about 15k this season. They've had a lot of big crowds at the Emirates.

Think the two Manchester teams are averaging about 10k too

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:19 am

Not for me the women’s game but the fact that they play at leyland is a disgrace.

Should surely play at Gawthorpe?

Turf might be a reach to far bar the odd one off game which id have no problem with, for example if we’re playing away two games on the bounce.

Leyland ffs, disgraceful

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:30 am

What crowds did they get when they played at Padiham.

Must be quite large given the number of posts who seem to want to watch them but can't be arsed travelling half n hour

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:57 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 am

Also agree with this. Seems absolutely crazy not to play it at the Turf.

For those not aware, the women’s team are now two points behind leaders Forest with a game in hand, meaning if we win our next two games we win the league. Our hardest game is next Sunday vs 3rd placed Wolves and we’ve chosen to play our home game in Blackburn a mile from Ewood park rather than play on home turf where I’m sure we could’ve mustered up a decent turn out if properly advertised.

Cannot see the sense in it!
These 2 users liked this post: Jellybean tiger76

burnmark
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by burnmark » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm

Club just announced that they’ll play on The Turf against Liverpool Feds on Sunday 30th April.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm

Looks like some of you have got your wish:

https://twitter.com/BurnleyOfficial/sta ... 98162?s=20

Expecting NewClaret and his entire family at this one ;)

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:08 pm

What level do we play in and what level will we move up to if promoted ?

burnmark
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by burnmark » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:18 pm

If they get promoted they’ll be in The Championship which is the second tier and one below the Super League.

Newark_Claret
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Newark_Claret » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:20 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:08 pm
What level do we play in and what level will we move up to if promoted ?
Currently Northern Premier which is Tier 3(alongside Southern Premier) winners of each league play off to go up into Championship (Women’s Super League 2) which is Tier 2.

If we beat Wolves and then Liverpool Feds the playoff will be likely vs Oxford/Watford from Southern Prem with Coventry set to be relegated from the championship.

The progress this team has made is amazing and is inspiring the next generation of Claret Girls - we are now in Newark but my daughter who plays U14’s Div1 here and Academy football in Lincoln is a big fan - has had some brilliant interactions with the Burnley Women’s team (and Manager) and the link up via Tik Tok and other social platforms has been fantastic for this generation of junior fans.

Get to the Turf on 30th - no excuses now re Leyland and others - watch some cracking football as Jay Bradford has got them in the VK mould.

#UTC

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:35 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:57 am
Arsenal are averaging about 15k this season. They've had a lot of big crowds at the Emirates.

Think the two Manchester teams are averaging about 10k too
Hi Aggi

It’s as per my post. Arsenal women get approx 3k fans on for a standard game and then the big ones (against Chelsea or United) they get around 40k. It may average out to 15k but they have actually only had 3 home games this season with an attendance over 3500.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:56 am

Be interesting to see what crowd this gets.

There has seemed some who are very keen to go to watch them providing they didn't have to travel to Padiham, Leyland or now Darwen.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:09 am

Glad a game is on the Turf, but the Wolves game is the much more difficult, and crucial, match. If we lose to Wolves the chance of promotion will have gone.
The attendance for that last game will very much depend on that Wolves result.
The ladies have earned this, I hope its a great day out for all those who go on.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:35 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:35 pm
Hi Aggi

It’s as per my post. Arsenal women get approx 3k fans on for a standard game and then the big ones (against Chelsea or United) they get around 40k. It may average out to 15k but they have actually only had 3 home games this season with an attendance over 3500.
The other stadium only has a capacity of about 4k (with lots of it being terraces) so they aren't going to be getting much more there (they seem to get ~4k most games, not sure where your stat comes from). Can't say it's that surprising that crowds at the stadium that is miles away and a real hassle to get to are much lower than the ones at the centre of their fanbase that is easy to get to.

But surely more generally that is supporting the suggestion that the women's team should be playing at the turf and there is lots of scope for increased crowds.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:46 pm

I see they've sold over 2,000 tickets for the game on the Turf so far which is pretty decent.

Unfortunately, after what seemed a tough defeat last week against Wolves, although there is a slim chance of promotion it would take a few lucky results on Sunday for it to happen.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:36 am

Going to be tough to win the league this season to get into the play off final against the southern league winners.

However from next season we will be able to avoid the need of a play off, with the winners of the northern and southern leagues being promoted automatically to the Women's Championship - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65429371
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:09 pm

Looks like the women's team are top of the league after five games having just beaten Forest, one of the top teams in the division last season, 4-2.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure GaryClaret