ARTICLE: Clubs should hang their heads in shame over derby tickets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clubs should hang their heads in shame over derby tickets

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 pm

bumba wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:24 pm
Your knocking the club because you didn't get a ticket, poor do really.
Papabendi wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:46 pm
As others have pointed out, an article has been written this time because someone is not going.
Sorry but you've totally misunderstood the base of the article if you think that and I've already said it would have been published if I had got a ticket.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm

This situation is obviously of Blackburn's making, they put Burnley in an impossible position.

The rest is just normal Burnley following a pattern that's been established for decades: mediocre in most things, and plain incompetent when it comes to anything IT or e-commerce related.

I'm sorry you didn't get a ticket, but if you're "equally angered" by Burnley over this, you've lost all perspective. It comes across as throwing a personal tantrum.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:49 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:45 pm
The simple fact is this, do you think you deserve a ticket more, or that you're a bigger fan than someone like my nephew, who has been to every game for the last 5 seasons (he's 10) but won't have enough points to get a ticket for this game because he's not old enough to accrue enough points? Yet he's supported Burnley since he was born, saves up his pocket money to buy shirts etc and has been to conceivably every game he could in his lifetime.

You see, no matter what it's unfair on someone. And yet my 10 year old nephew has taken it like a man and is at least happy someone else will go and support the team in his stead. He's not slamming the club and saying they should hang their head.

And you think it's me missing the point?
What a stupid comparison. Of course your nephew should have missed out in this case. Bloody hell fire.

"taken it like a man". Vomit
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

TravisBickle
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by TravisBickle » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 pm

Blackburn have basically got the reaction they wanted. And more with this article.

Burnley have no part to blame in people not getting tickets. Every single high pointer had an equal chance of getting a ticket.

If you have 6,000 points you’re a loyal fan.

If you have 13,000 you’re equally loyal. Just older.
These 2 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET sportak-mustgo

Vince Fontaine
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Vince Fontaine » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 pm

boyyanno wrote:
The simple fact is this, do you think you deserve a ticket more, or that you're a bigger fan than someone like my nephew, who has been to every game for the last 5 seasons (he's 10) but won't have enough points to get a ticket for this game because he's not old enough to accrue enough points? Yet he's supported Burnley since he was born, saves up his pocket money to buy shirts etc and has been to conceivably every game he could in his lifetime.

You see, no matter what it's unfair on someone. And yet my 10 year old nephew has taken it like a man and is at least happy someone else will go and support the team in his stead. He's not slamming the club and saying they should hang their head.

I agree but would your 10 year old feel the same if a child in his class at school who has only had a season ticket for this season and never been to an away match got a ticket for the Blackburn match? I think not..
UTC

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 pm

Your spot on Tony the points total was a farce,I know someone who hasn’t been on an away game in over 4 seasons who has managed to get 2 tickets in the ballot.
Not his fault but the clubs.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:52 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm
This situation is obviously of Blackburn's making, they put Burnley in an impossible position.

The rest is just normal Burnley following a pattern that's been established for decades: mediocre in most things, and plain incompetent when it comes to anything IT or e-commerce related.

I'm sorry you didn't get a ticket, but if you're "equally angered" by Burnley over this, you've lost all perspective. It comes across as throwing a personal tantrum.
I'm clearly more angered by Blackburn because I think they've behaved shamelessly in this. I know organisations have looked at what they've done, including the league, but they've broken no rules giving us 2,000 tickets which is the absolute minimum.

I'm probably more frustrated at our club at the way we've dealt with it. We have a system in place which I know is far from perfect, but we decided not to use it for this game. I probably shouldn't have added the personal stuff because this is not about me but about the system they used. I added the bit at the back having received that email this afternoon telling me I'd been successful when it was meant for someone else.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 pm

boyyanno wrote:

I'm guessing your 10 year old nephew hasn't spent years putting his own money in or following us all over the country, to places like Gillingham on a Tuesday night when we were absolutely crap?
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

Conroy92
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 pm

The people that are suggesting the loyalty point number was upped from 6k to 10k or above are only bitter about not getting a ticket.
The people suggesting the loyalty points system needs scrapping completely are talking sense.
The loyalty points system has vast imperfections. The greatest bias being a 60 year old man watching 2 games a season can be valued the same as a 15 year old watching 8 games a season. It's nonsense. Yet no one's pointing this out because there happy with the unfairness when it favours them.
There will be amazing supporters of this club young and old who didn't get a ticket, but the club gave a chance to all ages on getting a ticket by allocating the points number at 6k. The club have remained consistent in using 6k as the mark for priority games. The club has acted at its best.
This user liked this post: Down_Rover

Jacko
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Jacko » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 pm

I was fortunate enough to get tickets for me & my dad; we both have well over 10,000 points. Regardless of my fortune, I agree with the article; think the club have made a pig's ear of this.

Those people who have bought more season tickets and away tickets should get priority. It's not about being a 'better person' than someone who has fewer points, but I do think that Dave Burnley, for instance, should have more chance of getting a ticket than someone who has been going on regularly for a "only" 15 years, someone who has been going on for 5 years should have more chance than someone who has only recently joined. Supply and demand being what it is, this won't often be relevant but when it is, those people who haven't been as often over the years should have less chance than those who outrank them on long service.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:54 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 pm
I'm guessing your 10 year old nephew hasn't spent years putting his own money in or following us all over the country, to places like Gillingham on a Tuesday night when we were absolutely crap?
I remember driving to Gillingham in 1980 for a Tuesday night match that ended 0-0. Thanks for the reminder. :D

bfcmartin
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by bfcmartin » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:54 pm

Has someone thought about emailing Venkys I would hazard a guess that they don’t know the people in charge of their club have just thrown away £150,000 plus

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:55 pm

bfcmartin wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:54 pm
Has someone thought about emailing Venkys I would hazard a guess that they don’t know the people in charge of their club have just thrown away £150,000 plus
Good point

Jacko
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Jacko » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:55 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 pm
The loyalty points system has vast imperfections. The greatest bias being a 60 year old man watching 2 games a season can be valued the same as a 15 year old watching 8 games a season. It's nonsense.
For me this is a strength of the system, the 60 year old has been to more games, shown a longer commitment. That's part of being a supporter.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:57 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:17 pm
@Sproggy and @Boyanno you’re both totalling missing the point here.

There wasn’t criticism of the points system or digging out of the club in respect of a ballot being used. The issue, perfectly highlighted, was the method of ballot used.

Should those with the highest number of points, those who have followed the club to destinations that many other didn’t want to, be grouped in with those with fewer points? Personally, I don’t think that they should.

We should be rewarding those that have put the effort in - they’re not super fans or anything else but they’re committed and should have first dibs on a ticket.

Ultimately, this is on Rovers. However, our club, dealt a bit of a shitty hand has played it poorly.

If I had 8000 points and lost out to a group of supporters on 13000, I’d accept that to be considered in future, I need to get more points.
I’m not sure I’d agree that those that go most weeks are ‘the most committed’. They’re certainly the most fortunate in having the time and money to go every week, but many who don’t have the time or money are just as committed. I’m sure in a perfect world lots would go on every week, but family commitments can’t be ignored nor can money be spent on what is essentially a ‘nice to have’ leisure activity when bills need to be paid.

This is not intended in anyway as a criticism of those who can go every week, just pointing out that to say they are the ‘most committed’ is the ignore lots of factors that stop others going.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1017 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm

boyyanno wrote:

You mean do we think your 10 year old nephew who has been supporting them for all of 5 years should miss out on a ticket compared to someone who has been following them for 60 years and also been on all the home and away games in the last 5 years ?

Yep……and you are completely missing the point.

Nobody is saying that everybody will be happy under whatever system of allocation is chosen. And of course there will be some who will be very unlucky and just miss out because they have are 1 or 2 games or a few points short. But the cut off point has to be somewhere.

What is so difficult in using the data they already have on loyalty points and away tickets purchased to determine a fairer system for this game ? It’s not that different to every other time demand has been far greater than supply. Why all of a sudden is a random ballot fairer than a loyalty based approach ?

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 776 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:00 pm

In my view we can't really complain when we only offer 2275 down from 2354 last season

Must be away fans missing out, desperate to come for a day in Burnley.

That said, the CFS home fans has been a success

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 828 times
Has Liked: 1630 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:01 pm

I am 78 and have been a season ticket holder for over 40 years and been to home and away matches until the last 2 seasons when I got rid of the car as I could no longer drive from Lincoln to Burnley on my own on the M62 in driving rain .
I have carried on with my season ticket and been to one home game this season havin an overnight stay at the Premier Inn.

I did not enter the ballot for the Rovers game as I would not have been able to attend but having read the this thread I wish I had and if successful would have been pleased to give the ticket/s to Tony who in my opinion should have been at the game after going to games home and away for goodness knows how many seasons .

People like the 10 year old will be able to go to home matches with his season ticket and most away games but the big ones away with few tickets he will miss and wait until more and more people stop going because of age ( like me ) and the transport isn’t there

UTC

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:01 pm

There is always criticism when people miss a high demand game.
I can see the argument from both sides, there are numerous suggestions on how to tweak/alter/improve the system on the other thread.

You have in place is a loyalty system where points are required.

What hasn’t happened as more and more people
reach 6000 points is a change/review in the system. So when you get high demand games. Huddersfield or Luton for example, we have a system that relies on who is fastest on the internet.

That’s the system and to extent is no better than the ballot system adopted for this game. However it is the system that I suspect many thought would be adopted with say an upward increase to 8000+ points as with Aberdeen.

The ballot is in my opinion is fair and equitable way of doing this and I suspect that is the way that the club will go with allocations, especially for local games in the Premier league next year.

What is the point of getting to 6000+ points and then having the goalposts moved because everyone else has accrued more points. This system at least allows a chance of someone with 6000+ getting a ticket as much as someone with say 10k.

In the circumstances the club have done the best they can with the shitty hand they have been dealt.
There will be 2000 lucky clarets there and I am sure they will do us proud and that is all that matters
This user liked this post: Down_Rover

Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Claretforshaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:03 pm

Let's just beat them at their own ground and be champions of the league, says more than a thousand words.

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times

Post by Greeny » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:03 pm

CT are you dropping the Claret part of your user name from now on in protest?

Have a lie down in a darkened room for an hour. I am sure you will feel a lot better afterwards.
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:03 pm

There is always going to be fans on both sides of the loyalty debate and I can fully appreciate both sides.

However, I do feel the club got it wrong here. I don’t see how it’s fair you can attend every games for decades and then still only have a 40% chance of attending one of our biggest games of the season.

The idea is good but poorly executed. Maybe keep what they’ve done here whereby so many points get you into a ballot, but also have a much higher threshold whereby you’re guaranteed tickets? Set the higher threshold at a point which only includes fans proportionate to say 50% of the overall allocation?

HagridsHut
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by HagridsHut » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:03 pm

I can’t believe the amount of crybabies that have come out from this. Nobody cares how many loyalty points you have, unsuccessful in the ballot - tough.
These 2 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET deanothedino

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 615 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:04 pm

8k points and didn’t get a ticket, just one of those things, club dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t regarding allocation

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:04 pm

Its a game of football, if someone did not get a ticket get over it. It's not the end of the world.
These 3 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET Clive 1960 deanothedino

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:05 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm
You mean do we think your 10 year old nephew who has been supporting them for all of 5 years should miss out on a ticket compared to someone who has been following them for 60 years and also been on all the home and away games in the last 5 years ?

Yep……and you are completely missing the point.
They should be treated the same. We can’t persist with a system that rewards people just for being older. I think the suggestion of a 4-5 year rolling period for loyalty points would be fairer, the current system has run its course (and I say that as someone who benefits from it).

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:05 pm

My Dad hasn't been to an away game for about 5 years now, yet he could still have applied and had the same chance of getting a ticket as someone who follows us all over the country week in week out. Surely that's not right?

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:06 pm

Why didn't the club hold a ballot for Luton away tickets when we received just over 1,000.

Does anyone know the answer to that?

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times

Post by Greeny » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:06 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:05 pm
My Dad hasn't been to an away game for about 5 years now, yet he could still have applied and had the same chance of getting a ticket as someone who follows us all over the country week in week out. Surely that's not right?
If he had 6,000 points then yes he could. Those were the rules…..

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Targetman wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:06 pm
Why didn't the club hold a ballot for Luton away tickets when we received just over 1,000.

Does anyone know the answer to that?
Yes, significantly less people wanted to go.

equinox
Been Liked: 219 times

Post by equinox » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Let the boy's do the talking out on the pitch and give this shower of bitter shite a beating like they've never witnessed before.

Stand together Clarets, don't give them what they want.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:08 pm

martin_p wrote:
They should be treated the same. We can’t persist with a system that rewards people just for being older. I think the suggestion of a 4-5 year rolling period for loyalty points would be fairer, the current system has run its course (and I say that as someone who benefits from it).
Agreed and think the suggestion a 5 year loyality period review is much fairer.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:09 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:01 pm
This system at least allows a chance of someone with 6000+ getting a ticket as much as someone with say 10k.
Which is wrong in my opinion.

I’m not saying don’t let people into a ballot past a certain point so you’ve got a chance but surely there has to be some incentive to keep going. Otherwise, what’s the point in continuing to accrue points past 6,000?

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:09 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm
Yes, significantly less people wanted to go.

How would you know that? Didn't they sell out in around 15 minutes?

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 pm
Sorry but you've totally misunderstood the base of the article if you think that and I've already said it would have been published if I had got a ticket.
Well I am not interested in an argument, but that's how it comes across.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:11 pm

DCWat wrote:
You did, but when you have a lot of people with far higher points, such a low threshold was inevitably going to see a greater number of the more deserving missing out.

They surely had to reward those at the top level first and foremost and then open it up to lower tiers afterwards, if any remained.
6000 points isn't a low threshold though!

The issue is two fold

1) Rovers being ***** because they can't handle us being so much better than them and their fans panicking that they might get taken to pieces

2) Our club being in a no win situation

Start by loyalty point reform and go from there, but with such a limited supply, people who have been going for years were always going to miss out

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:12 pm

Targetman wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:09 pm
How would you know that?
Seriously? Are you arguing as many want to see us play a mid-season game in Luton as an end of season game down the road against our biggest rivals?

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:14 pm

martin_p wrote:
I agree that the system is outdated, and I agree there needs to be something done to improve it.

I’m not convinced it truly does reward people just for being older. I have 11,320 points and I’m 32.

The club committed to changing the points threshold for in demand games and they didn’t. But life goes on and it’s not the end of the world that I didn’t get a ticket. :-)

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm
I'm clearly cut from a different cloth. I'd want the 10 year old to go if I'd spent my life following Burnley. But then I'm not the one fully invested, so it's easy for me to say.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:00 pm
In my view we can't really complain when we only offer 2275 down from 2354 last season

Must be away fans missing out, desperate to come for a day in Burnley.

That said, the CFS home fans has been a success
I’m sorry that is rubbish we are consistent with what we offer our away end is what it is and is offered to every team no matter their position or situation. The issue here is Rovers has an away of 7000+ not that I expected them to give us 7000 but if you only want 2000 away fans at your ground then be fare to everyone and advertise it as being 2000 and only 2000 from the start of the season. I dare say that Luton who’s away end holds less than ours will have been offered many more tickets than we were which isn’t right.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 pm

martin_p wrote:
Don’t necessarily disagree with this in principle.
But I also think that somebody who has done this for 30 years has put more into the club than than someone who has done it for 5 years.

I think there should be a greater reward via the loyalty points on away tickets than there is now.

Obviously it depends on the allocation but I think if a 10 year old or a 60 year old has got a season ticket for last 5 years and gone to every away game then any system we develop should mean that both of these would always be priority (unless we only got one ticket and then the old one gets it !!!).

In all seriousness it’s by putting in scenarios like these and talking to fans - taking into account as many age groups and factors as possible - that you could develop a fairer and more suitable system.

But all that said the random ballot system was not the right solution in allocating 2,000 tickets IMHO

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5551 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 pm

DCWat wrote:
You did, but when you have a lot of people with far higher points, such a low threshold was inevitably going to see a greater number of the more deserving missing out.

They surely had to reward those at the top level first and foremost and then open it up to lower tiers afterwards, if any remained.
"the more deserving"? It was a ballot where everyone had an even chance, not a competition: Finish this sentence in 15 words or less: I deserve a bastards ticket because....

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:19 pm

MDWat wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:14 pm
I agree that the system is outdated, and I agree there needs to be something done to improve it.

I’m not convinced it truly does reward people just for being older. I have 11,320 points and I’m 32.

The club committed to changing the points threshold for in demand games and they didn’t. But life goes on and it’s not the end of the world that I didn’t get a ticket. :-)
But I guess you’re old enough to have picked up loyalty points from when they started. Anyone under the age of 20 is at a disadvantage as they won’t have started accruing points from day one of the scheme. If the scheme continues as is then that age will be pushed up and up.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 pm

The 2000 people with the highest number of points, in descending order, should get one ticket each.

equinox
Been Liked: 219 times

Post by equinox » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Arfields fault

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Stanbill05 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:17 pm
I'm clearly cut from a different cloth. I'd want the 10 year old to go if I'd spent my life following Burnley. But then I'm not the one fully invested, so it's easy for me to say.
Not so sure you are - I think both the 10 year old and the 60 year old who have been home and away for 5 years should get the tickets if they want them for all games. As I have just posted develop a system which would always guarantee that (or almost always guarantee that)

A random ballot system means they both have an equal chance as myself who has way over the 6,000 points but been on few away games in the last 5 years…..and in my view they both should be above me in priority.

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:23 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:19 pm
But I guess you’re old enough to have picked up loyalty points from when they started. Anyone under the age of 20 is at a disadvantage as they won’t have started accruing points from day one of the scheme. If the scheme continues as is then that age will be pushed up and up.
That is a fair point.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:25 pm

Only ClaretTony could provoke such a reaction from an opening post on here......

But, I guarantee, he would have preferred to have been at Ewood in '65 to have seen Irvine's sensational double.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:26 pm

Tony says he’d have written this article regardless. Where was the article all season? Every game has in effect been a ballot. Tony even references this with the Luton game. Usually demand hasn’t been an issue, but there’s many people with over 6,000 points who have had tickets by 10:15 on sale dates because they’re fortunate enough that either they or someone on their behalf can be available to buy tickets at that time. I don’t agree with the clubs ticket policy, but they could actually be commended for ensuring all 6,000+ fans have equal opportunity regardless of personal circumstances.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I personally think that Tony fits the profile of fan who should have been prioritised for this game. Current ST holder that attends the vast majority of away games. That’s what these systems were designed for. So I do have a lot of sympathy’s for Tony and others with similar attendance who have missed out.

On the other hand though I know there are people who are part of these supporters groups who seem to have little intention of the club changing for the better and do so out of what seems self-interest. That is not aimed at Tony, but I do know there are people close to him that have given off that vibe. The current system is discriminatory against younger fans. Kid’s will always be the emotive argument, but it goes beyond that. The club have an ethos of One Club for All. The current system is not inclusive, it’s exclusive. We want you to be a Burnley fan, but if there’s a high profile away game we’re going to prioritise fans where a large proportion are middle aged white guys who are have been financially well off enough to buy a season ticket since we started the system. To be inclusive the system needs to reward loyalty whilst having target points that are attainable to all fans if they put the effort in. That’s why most clubs use a rolling system.

If you read Tony’s article, it shows what I mean. There’s no questioning of the system in general. Only the starting point totals and that they should have been higher. It’s very hard not to see beyond self-interest.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:27 pm

Im asking how you would know that was the case?

"Mid season game"?? I presume you are trying to downplay the importance of that game at Luton for some reason?

Were you aware of the scramble for tickets for that game? Many Burnley fans who follow the team away had never been to Luton, not only was it a very important game for both clubs it was a game where many, many Burnley fans wanted to be present.

Social media was awash with people hoping to buy a ticket in the lead up to that game.

I was asking a very pertinent question, I was hoping for a genuine answer, not for someone to offer an estimate on how many people may or may not have applied for Blackburn tickets.