The day of the cat.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

The day of the cat.

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 am

Yesterday, I was looking after my granddaughters in Cheshire with my wife since my daughter was working away, and my son-in-law works on an early shift. Whilst loading the twins into our car for the school run, a woman stopped to inform me that she had just rescued a cat badly hurt after being run over. I went over to look at the cat, which was now a dead cat, to see that it had the same markings as my daughters cat Poppy. I whispered the tragic news to my wife and asked her to take the twins to school whilst I dealt with the poor cat.

I bagged up the poor moggy and delivered the tragic news to my daughter and son-in-law by messenger. Many sad tributes and views on how to inform the twins during the day as we drove back home.

When my son in-law returned from work, he unfastened the bag and emotionally stroked the cats head to say goodbye.

He then looked into his patio window to see his cat Poppy looking back at him. :D Apparently, it was another cat that was killed, very much a doppelganger for Poppy. Lots of relief all round and stick for yours truly

atlantalad
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Re: The day of the cat.

Post by atlantalad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:35 am

The other cat belonged to Schrodinger - he needs to be informed.
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat tarkys_ears LeadBelly scrambledclaret Rick_Muller

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:37 am

https://twitter.com/9GAG/status/1248099072453611520

This is my favourite example of that
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

Here's-Johnny
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by Here's-Johnny » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:40 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 am
Yesterday, I was looking after my granddaughters in Cheshire with my wife since my daughter was working away, and my son-in-law works on an early shift. Whilst loading the twins into our car for the school run, a woman stopped to inform me that she had just rescued a cat badly hurt after being run over. I went over to look at the cat, which was now a dead cat, to see that it had the same markings as my daughters cat Poppy. I whispered the tragic news to my wife and asked her to take the twins to school whilst I dealt with the poor cat.

I bagged up the poor moggy and delivered the tragic news to my daughter and son-in-law by messenger. Many sad tributes and views on how to inform the twins during the day as we drove back home.

When my son in-law returned from work, he unfastened the bag and emotionally stroked the cats head to say goodbye.

He then looked into his patio window to see his cat Poppy looking back at him. :D Apparently, it was another cat that was killed, very much a doppelganger for Poppy. Lots of relief all round and stick for yours truly
The doppelganger was someone else's "poppy" a very dignified act by you. Hope you didn't bin it!!!

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:55 am

atlantalad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:35 am
The other cat belonged to Schrodinger - he needs to be informed.
That's thinking outside the box

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:59 am

Here's-Johnny wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:40 am
The doppelganger was someone else's "poppy" a very dignified act by you. Hope you didn't bin it!!!
Yes, somebody else had lost a family pet.
My son-in-law took it to their vets to see if it was chipped, and they also informed their local Facebook group to see if anyone was missing a cat.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:50 pm

Sounds like it was a bit more than chipped.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:16 pm

Happens more often than you think. A near neighbour went on holiday, leaving their cat in the care of a relative visiting to do daily feeds.

The cat went missing whilst they were away but reappeared a few days after their return

A week later they declared that this cat that had been living in their house for this time was not actually their cat after all

They tried to explain away the massive size difference between the two cats as weight loss whilst it was missing 😃

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:39 pm

Hopefully not the day of the black cat(s)

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:07 pm

I know the Year of the Cat - one of my favorite albums

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 pm

NRC wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:07 pm
I know the Year of the Cat - one of my favorite albums
Modern Times is my Al Stewart favourite. I saw him live a few times in his young troubadour days late 60s- mid 70s and he was always good value. He always did a lot of songs about historical events/people. I last saw him 10/11 years ago (just him and a guitarist in a long show) on a UK tour and he was still very good.
I think Year of the Cat went big in USA and he moved there and still lives over in Cali.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 pm

I just read his wiki…… what a career for a musician most on here will have never heard of

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:34 pm

NRC wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 pm
I just read his wiki…… what a career for a musician most on here will have never heard of
You've prompted me to read that. Bits that strike me are:

...he went on to serve as master of ceremonies at the Les Cousins folk club on Greek Street, where he played alongside Cat Stevens, Bert Jansch, Van Morrison, Roy Harper, Ralph McTell and Paul Simon, with whom he shared a flat in Dellow Street, Stepney, London.[5]

In 1970, Stewart and fellow musician Ian A. Anderson headed to the small town of Pilton, Somerset. There, at Michael Eavis's Worthy Farm, Stewart performed at the first-ever Glastonbury Festival to a field of 1,000 hippies, who had paid just £1 each to be there.

Both albums reached the top ten in the US, with Year of the Cat peaking at No. 5 and Time Passages at No. 10, and both albums produced hit singles in the US ("Year of the Cat" No. 8, and "On the Border", #42; "Time Passages" No. 7 and "Song on the Radio", #29). Meanwhile, "Year of the Cat" became Stewart's first chart single in Britain, where it peaked at No. 31. It was a huge success at London's Capital Radio, reaching number 2 on their Capital Countdown chart. The overwhelming success of these songs on the two albums, both of which still receive substantial radio airplay on classic-rock/pop format radio stations, has perhaps later overshadowed the depth and range of Stewart's body of songwriting.[13]

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:05 pm

It was a cheshire cat. The true owner will probably think that it just disappeared for a bit.