Well that was shite

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Re: Well that was shite

Post by CaptJohn » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:30 am

I thought we had an off day yesterday and all credit to Sunderland who executed a very good game plan. However a couple of things that VK got wrong IMHO.
Firstly starting three players coming back from injury was risky.
Secondly by starting both Benson and Zaroury we didn't have an impact sub on the bench to bring on around the 65th minute.
Thirdly starting Zaroury, who is a Muslim thus fasting for Ramadan, was weird in the extreme. He'll no doubt have broken his fast around 1900hrs and thus taken on lots of liquids but will still be lacking energy from not having food throughout the day. VK could have given him an extra hour sitting on the bench to get some sustenance inside him for a late cameo in the 2nd half.
Fourthly we were impacted by the game plan of Sunderland in the 1st half but we didn't change anything 2nd half? I would have expected some form of system change but very little was made.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 am

Transpennine wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:49 pm
So they hit the bar and were also correctly given offside.

Just opinions, but I never felt we were in any danger of losing.

Not sure that makes us shite.
I never suggested in the slightest that we were shite, but along with others at half time, and those sat around me, I thought from about 20 minutes in that it had 1-0 Sunderland written all over it.
We were a bit off our usual standards, but had enough chances to win it, but had the ball not rebounded very kindly to Muric off the bar, I think we would have been correct.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 am
Ha ha, yes.

A bloke behind me said, "it's like watching the 4th division days".

It was that stupid of a comment I couldn't be bothered saying, well you couldn't have been there and seen it.
It's the total opposite to the 4th division days that I watched.
Slow possession football with better players Vs fast direct exciting football with some players far too quick for the level.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:45 am

I don’t think Brownhill has the same sort of ability to take a man on like Gudmundsson,whenever Beyer ,or Gudmundsson ran at them they backed off ,Brownhill is a good battler but not as good on the ball.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:50 am

CaptJohn wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:30 am
I thought we had an off day yesterday and all credit to Sunderland who executed a very good game plan. However a couple of things that VK got wrong IMHO.
Firstly starting three players coming back from injury was risky.
Secondly by starting both Benson and Zaroury we didn't have an impact sub on the bench to bring on around the 65th minute.
Thirdly starting Zaroury, who is a Muslim thus fasting for Ramadan, was weird in the extreme. He'll no doubt have broken his fast around 1900hrs and thus taken on lots of liquids but will still be lacking energy from not having food throughout the day. VK could have given him an extra hour sitting on the bench to get some sustenance inside him for a late cameo in the 2nd half.
Fourthly we were impacted by the game plan of Sunderland in the 1st half but we didn't change anything 2nd half? I would have expected some form of system change but very little was made.
I’m not sure that his fasting can be cited as the issue. There are plenty of Muslim players who we’ve seen break their fast during a match, over recent years.

Zaroury has been below his earlier season standards for a little while now - he almost seems to be trying to force it on occasion.

He still managed one moment of brilliance though - the flicked pass through to Barnes (?) from a ball inside from Tella was top drawer.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:05 am

Haven't read the whole thread but the title was enough for me to bite. In which universe was that sh!te? It's baffling to me how any performance which isn't us at our best provokes all these sorts of unbalanced hyperbole. Some of us really react spoilt when an opposition side has the temerity to press us, play well, make it a challenge. Sure, there're heaps of things we could've done better and were rarely at our fluid selves but we were still far and away the better side last night. We ain't going to be winning every game 3-0 and when we're below the high levels we've set we still don't get beat. It's been a season for the ages, we're witnessing genuine folklore stuff. I'm not going to grumble and it's bizarre to me how eager people appear to want to.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret MT03ALG

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:15 am

Bringing 3 players back starting is not recommended. The flow the team had is disrupted.
The main problem though was that all of Zaroury, Tella and Benson were off their best game and our creativity suffered. We still had 3 great chances first half(THB, Brownhill & Barnes) and fluffed them all.
Well played Sunderland. Mowbray set them up well.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:25 am

We were definitely a little bit off it. But huge credit to Sunderland who I thought probably set up to nullify us better than anyone else this season. As frustrating as it was it actually made for an interesting encounter as they gave us a real test.

I think the game was also useful in highlighting where we need to improve as Sunderland pressed aggressively, got touch tight to Cullen amongst others, defended with a high line to squeeze the pitch (they had the pace at the back to do this unlike most teams we’ve faced) and cut out our forward passing lanes.

This is the kind of test we will come up against on a weekly basis next season. It highlighted for me how we need to work on our plan B to taking risks from the back as yeaterday’s poor decision making would undoubtedly have cost us in the PL. It also showed a lack of strength and creativity in the more advanced areas of midfield.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am

I tend to think that most now believe the job is done. It's often the case that a successful team glitches at the finishing line simply because psychologically the job is pretty much done. I would also think there was a bit of a hangover from the 6-0 battering from City and the international break.

The only issue really is that when faced with to hard working pacy full backs we don't have the creativity in he middle to open up teams but that is more of a problem for the PL not this season.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 am

It wasn't by any stretch of the imagination "shite", but it simply wasn't what we've become accustomed to over the course of this season, that's all.
This user liked this post: DCWat

TravisBickle
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by TravisBickle » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:46 pm

BFC12345678 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:43 pm
If we wanna be a prem geam we shud be beating Sunderland at home
We did. 4-2.

We played ok last night. There was one move in particular which barnes could’ve finished that was world class one touch play.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:44 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:25 am
We were definitely a little bit off it. But huge credit to Sunderland who I thought probably set up to nullify us better than anyone else this season. As frustrating as it was it actually made for an interesting encounter as they gave us a real test.

I think the game was also useful in highlighting where we need to improve as Sunderland pressed aggressively, got touch tight to Cullen amongst others, defended with a high line to squeeze the pitch (they had the pace at the back to do this unlike most teams we’ve faced) and cut out our forward passing lanes.

This is the kind of test we will come up against on a weekly basis next season. It highlighted for me how we need to work on our plan B to taking risks from the back as yeaterday’s poor decision making would undoubtedly have cost us in the PL. It also showed a lack of strength and creativity in the more advanced areas of midfield.
I would agree with that except they only played the high line when we invited them to do so, otherwise it was a mid-line. This mid-line also involved tucking their wide players in, isolating our wide players beyond them and we didn’t have the space to create the opportunities to bring them into the game. This is why VK brought Tella wide - to start deeper and use his pace, but Odeon was industrially efficient to nullify it

I too hoped we would think about this in the 2nd half, but clearly we didnt have the wherewithal to change the shape successfully

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Sunderland played very well and their tactics were spot on. That’s why we didn’t beat them.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:39 pm

Biggest thing for me last night was the posession football. Too many backwards and sideways passes due to their very effective pressing. A couple of times Beyer ran through the middle and we looked a different team when he did. IMO we need to be more direct when attacking againt teams like Sunderland yesterday where their marking and pressing was excellent.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:44 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned but I think VK tweaked the tactics for the game yesterday. Maatsen looked to be under orders not to go beyond the half way line in the first half and I'm convinced Brownhill was asked to play a deeper role than normal. It's normally Cullen or Cork who drop into those full back areas.

It's one point closer to home though.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:21 pm

I honestly don’t know much about football but these are my thoughts. The lineup was fine. I simply think there was too much passing side to side (and backwards) by our defence. We had several forwards desperate for the ball. Next match, let’s get the ball forwards!
This user liked this post: k90bfc

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:25 pm

All the moaning and groaning yet we end the weekend edging closer to promotion and extending our advantage over Boro.

Shows you that it's better to wait until everyone else has played before judging the outcome.

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:25 pm
All the moaning and groaning yet we end the weekend edging closer to promotion and extending our advantage over Boro.

Shows you that it's better to wait until everyone else has played before judging the outcome.
Spot on

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:50 pm

Big build up on sky but It was like watching paint dry, I don’t think we’ll be able to pass it around the back so much once we get promoted. Hopefully we become a bit more forward thinking. I can see us conceding a lot messing around at the back.

Compared to the prem this is a very weak division.

We’ve played well this season but last night its good to call it for what it was, boring.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:57 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:44 pm
I haven't seen it mentioned but I think VK tweaked the tactics for the game yesterday. Maatsen looked to be under orders not to go beyond the half way line in the first half and I'm convinced Brownhill was asked to play a deeper role than normal. It's normally Cullen or Cork who drop into those full back areas.
When we play two real defensive midfielders Maatsen can at times be the player highest up the field. This creates space for Zaroury, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Zaroury has had his best spells this season when the opposition fullback is busy handling Maatsen. Though we've moved on a bit from that tactic of late. When Cork is not available, or just not selected to start, i.e. when we only play with one defensive midfielder in Cullen, the other midfielder along side him is asked to play more forward central positions, and that's mostly been Brownhill and JBG at various times this season, who are more inclined to get between midfield and attack rather than hold defensive positions like Cork would. This has the effect of Zaroury's partner in attack being more central to him, rather than width being held by Maatsen. Zaroury does a very, very good job creating width and driving at fullbacks, but I think Zaroury looks more devastating when he can come inside, which is what happens when Maatsen is troubling the opposition fullback. So, two CDMs, or our double pivot (to use the jargon) liberates Maatsen, but if we need more players in the central channel to combat a deep and crowded defensive line, we go with a single pivot (Cullen) and try to crowd out the centre by having JBG or Brownhill join attacks, which obviously exposes us defensively because they're no longer screening the defence, so Maatsen and Roberts rotate into the central midfield positions and take up CDM roles when the situation demands.

I still think our best system is with two CDM and the fullbacks holding high positions, but that's just my opinion. But if we are to play that way next season, an upgrade on Cork is a must. That's no slight on Cork, he's incredible, but we'll need a more physically intense defensive midfielder in the PL next season because he doesn't have an enormous amount of pace and whoever plays there will need to make defensive sprints for 90 minutes, covering both the centre defensive midfield position and the exposed fullback position. But since we don't yet have that in the squad beyond Cork, we ask Maatsen and Roberts to take up more defensive roles when we play the single pivot system. I think it can be summed up as a tactical choice between overloading forward central positions versus overloading forward wide positions. The single pivot allows for the former, the double pivot, the latter.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:00 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:50 pm
Big build up on sky but It was like watching paint dry, I don’t think we’ll be able to pass it around the back so much once we get promoted. Hopefully we become a bit more forward thinking. I can see us conceding a lot messing around at the back.

We’ve played well this season but last night its good to call it for what it was, boring.
I agree about passing it around, although nearly all Prem teams concede from the same. Villa lucky to get away with one just.

But in the Prem teams will attack us and not sit in, so you won’t watch many boring games, you’ll be glad to hear.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:10 pm

I enjoyed last night, thought it was a good game. Sunderland were competitive and even though we weren’t at our fluid best, still created some good chances. If you’re expecting trouble free, expansive football every week, you’re going to be quickly disappointed.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat RVclaret tiger76 NewClaret

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:24 pm

Good job the poster isn’t a Middlesbrough fan or they’d have had a cardiac arrest today……..

Made me laugh last night, some bloke on his phone……….”we were shocking, we’ll get smashed in The Prem…….”…….

Oh dear……….

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:42 pm

We never played a decent ball from the back all night, we missed Ekdal for that. When teams press us, and hold a high line as Sunderland did, it just requires a decent ball over the top, or through the channels. We finally have the pace to exploit this tactic, yet we kept trying to walk the ball into the net.
There was also a distinct lack of movement on the front line. Lots of occasions when Beyer or THB were looking to see what was on, and they were looking at statues. The movement and interchanges is what creates the space, creates the opportunities.

We've got promotion in the bag, it would be a real shame to cross the line with a whimper.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc boatshed bill

equinox
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by equinox » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:34 pm

Barnes' renaissance has come and gone now, Obafemi should now be starting.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:43 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:50 pm

I’ve just realised you’re the same poster who was writing the team’s style off earlier in the season. At least you’re consistent.

NRC

Post by NRC » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:16 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:57 pm
When we play two real defensive midfielders Maatsen can at times be the player highest up the field. This creates space for Zaroury, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Zaroury has had his best spells this season when the opposition fullback is busy handling Maatsen. Though we've moved on a bit from that tactic of late. When Cork is not available, or just not selected to start, i.e. when we only play with one defensive midfielder in Cullen, the other midfielder along side him is asked to play more forward central positions, and that's mostly been Brownhill and JBG at various times this season, who are more inclined to get between midfield and attack rather than hold defensive positions like Cork would. This has the effect of Zaroury's partner in attack being more central to him, rather than width being held by Maatsen. Zaroury does a very, very good job creating width and driving at fullbacks, but I think Zaroury looks more devastating when he can come inside, which is what happens when Maatsen is troubling the opposition fullback. So, two CDMs, or our double pivot (to use the jargon) liberates Maatsen, but if we need more players in the central channel to combat a deep and crowded defensive line, we go with a single pivot (Cullen) and try to crowd out the centre by having JBG or Brownhill join attacks, which obviously exposes us defensively because they're no longer screening the defence, so Maatsen and Roberts rotate into the central midfield positions and take up CDM roles when the situation demands.

I still think our best system is with two CDM and the fullbacks holding high positions, but that's just my opinion. But if we are to play that way next season, an upgrade on Cork is a must. That's no slight on Cork, he's incredible, but we'll need a more physically intense defensive midfielder in the PL next season because he doesn't have an enormous amount of pace and whoever plays there will need to make defensive sprints for 90 minutes, covering both the centre defensive midfield position and the exposed fullback position. But since we don't yet have that in the squad beyond Cork, we ask Maatsen and Roberts to take up more defensive roles when we play the single pivot system. I think it can be summed up as a tactical choice between overloading forward central positions versus overloading forward wide positions. The single pivot allows for the former, the double pivot, the latter.
I agree with this, where Maatsen and Roberts are playing as inverted FB in front of two DM. If you look at the average team’s average positions, this is exactly what we do…. But we’ve moved away from that average and we dont seem as effective for it

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm

If our central midfielders actually passed forwards it would make a big difference to get us up the pitch, Kompany seemed happy for us to pass it around the back for 79 minutes. People aren’t daft they just report on what they watch.

There’s this weird vibe among delusional fans that we’re playing unbelievable amazing football at the moment. We aren’t we’re just playing the ball around the back a lot in a weak division.

When we do score a goal it looks good because we’ve over played the ball around the back 30 times or more.

If it was Barcelona 92 out there people would be comparing us to them, it isn’t.

NRC

Post by NRC » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:27 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm
If our central midfielders actually passed forwards it would make a big difference to get us up the pitch, Kompany seemed happy for us to pass it around the back for 79 minutes. People aren’t daft they just report on what they watch.

There’s this weird vibe among delusional fans that we’re playing unbelievable amazing football at the moment. We aren’t we’re just playing the ball around the back a lot in a weak division.

When we do score a goal it looks good because we’ve over played the ball around the back 30 times or more.

If it was Barcelona 92 out there people would be comparing us to them, it isn’t.
We didn’t have central midfielders (plural), we had one - Brownhill. Sunderland overloaded on Cullen too, while employing a mid-press, thus negating any notion of our FB inverting successfully. It was clever from Mowbray

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:28 pm

There was one game where it was entertaining where we attacked all the way through. Might have been Rotherham can’t remember though they all blur into one.

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:30 pm

NRC wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:27 pm
We didn’t have central midfielders (plural), we had one - Brownhill. Sunderland overloaded on Cullen too, while employing a mid-press, thus negating any notion of our FB inverting successfully. It was clever from Mowbray
I agree the midfield was shocking last night not one forwards pass through the lines all night. Would have preferred a Westwood hoof forward.😂

Were we Supposed to be playing 4-3-3 Midfield had no control on the game whatsoever.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:40 pm

‘People aren’t daft’ then writes a full post which could be in contention for the daftest of the season. Fair enough.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:40 pm
‘People aren’t daft’ then writes a full post which could be in contention for the daftest of the season. Fair enough.
I will say I think people have massively overrated Sunderland’s performance.

Sunderland look **** poor and had very little quality. It was just an off day for us.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm

Good grief

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:40 pm
Is Brownhill still playing “ half space”😂

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:47 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm
I will say I think people have massively overrated Sunderland’s performance.

Sunderland look **** poor and had very little quality. It was just an off day for us.
Regardless of quality they worked extremely hard. Pritchard for example never stopped running. Dan Neil in the middle (we were linked not long back) pressed very intelligently. Their shape and structure was impressive, probably better than most others who have tried to press, though they created pretty much nothing.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:48 pm

Kompany wasn’t happy about this as he commented on our midfield going backwards after we’d broken through the line only to have to start again.

The rest of your post is the only thing that’s delusional though to be fair.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:51 pm

People aren't comparing us to Cruyff's Barcelona, therefore we're shite and should just cannon every ball up the park. Enough of this fancy dan tippy taGETINTOHIM NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA **** KEEP ST GEORGE IN MY HEART KEEP ME ENGLISH FKING HELL REFEREE TITS FANNY AND CLAFORWARD FORWARD YOUR SUPPORT IS FUCATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACK FUKSAKEREFEREE GAME'S GONE FOURTH DIVISION GAME'S GONE LADS GAME'S GONE WE'LL BE RELEGATED NEXT SEASON PLAYING LIKE THIS KOMPANY OUT SACK THE BOARD

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:57 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:51 pm
People aren't comparing us to Cruyff's Barcelona, therefore we're shite and should just cannon every ball up the park. Enough of this fancy dan tippy taGETINTOHIM NO SURRENDER TO THE IRA **** KEEP ST GEORGE IN MY HEART KEEP ME ENGLISH FKING HELL REFEREE TITS FANNY AND CLAFORWARD FORWARD YOUR SUPPORT IS FUCATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACK FUKSAKEREFEREE GAME'S GONE FOURTH DIVISION GAME'S GONE LADS GAME'S GONE WE'LL BE RELEGATED NEXT SEASON PLAYING LIKE THIS KOMPANY OUT SACK THE BOARD
I’m only asking them to consider passing it forward more than twice a game.

Beyer got so bored with it he passed to someone in the crowd, again backwards. Needs to face forwards maybe.

Not everything is so black and white I know a lot on here can’t process that.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:57 pm

Beyer got so bored with it he passed to someone in the crowd, again backwards. Needs to face forwards maybe.

Not everything is so black and white I know a lot on here can’t process that.
Beyer, one of most forward facing centre and progressive (with possession) centre halves we've seen here. You sound completely clueless.
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:06 pm

You’re either yet another wind up merchant, if so great, just what the board needs, or you’re absolutely clueless.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:08 pm

Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:57 pm
No, you're doing far more than that: you're accusing fellow supporters of delusion. You have a notion of what football should be, which is fine, but when that notion comes into conflict with a style which at the time of posting still has the potential to deliver the all-time Championship points total record, to assail the method while insultin supporters in the process is completely insane, I'm sorry. It's Mike Bassett sh1t.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:24 am

DCWat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 pm
In what way do you think it was the wrong line up? Before the game, my view was that it was a very good line up.
Before the game started I questioned starting Benson, Tella and Zaroury in a 4231. You need one of the attacking three to come deeper and drop into CM and help dictate the game. For all the positives those three provide, none of them can do this.
THB shouldn't have come straight back in for Ekdal.
Benson shouldn't have come straight back in for JBG.
Brownhill always struggles in a midfield two. Either play him behind Barnes and start Cork next to Cullen, or sit Brownhill deeper with Cullen and start JBG behind Barnes.

For what it's worth this is our strongest line up in my opinion, although I'd be tempted to start Foster every game between now and the end of the season in the hope he settles in.
Muric
Roberts Ekdal Beyer Maatsen
Brownhill Cullen
Tella JBG Zaroury
Barnes
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 552 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:44 pm

We weren't at our best, but it was far from shite. To say it was shite only goes to show how much we've been spoilt this season. Also, Sunderland deserve some credit.