Well that was shite

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Well that was shite

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:10 pm

But there's plenty of good uns in the bank for us to have an off day.

Think Sunderland did a job on us, even though our midfield was anonymous.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Re: Well that was shite

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 pm

Don't go to hard. Sun'lan played well, we weren't totally at it tonight. Move on. More fitness for those who have been out injured and recovery for the international players. Next Friday we will be better.
This user liked this post: DubClaret

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:27 pm

We will need to be much better in the next two or we could quicker be on the receiving end of two defeats. It was just the wrong line up tonight though - VK will sort it for next week.

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:29 pm

I know it's all relative; and about opinions. But I didn't think it was anyway near 'shite'

Boro set up well and had a go in the 1st half.
2nd half they were only interested in taking a point. Which they did. We weren't at our best up front, but once again, we never for a second looked like losing the game.

We can't win-em all.
These 5 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin longsidepies oswyclaret k90bfc turfytopper

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:27 pm
We will need to be much better in the next two or we could quicker be on the receiving end of two defeats. It was just the wrong line up tonight though - VK will sort it for next week.
In what way do you think it was the wrong line up? Before the game, my view was that it was a very good line up.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret turfytopper

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
We never looked in any danger of losing tonight...

We might lose the next two... but you'll get a good price at William Hill...

Clean sheet. Point.

Onwards
Last edited by Transpennine on Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:29 pm
I know it's all relative; and about opinions. But I didn't think it was anyway near 'shite'

2nd half they were only interested in taking a point. Which they did. We weren't at our best up front, but once again, we never for a second looked like losing the game.

We can't win-em all.
Can you tell me the score? I might whack a quid or two on it :D
These 4 users liked this post: MG70 AfloatinClaret mybloodisclaret MT03ALG

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:33 pm

Tonight was all set up to be one of the games of the season, Sunderland pulled out one of the best away performances of the season.

Unfortunately we have got used to seeing goals and winning games. Let’s move on and get behind the lads.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Rumpelstiltskin

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:34 pm

Possession football can be boring as hell.

Like a Serie A game from the early 90s.

Be a better game against Boro.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:34 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:30 pm
In what way do you think it was the wrong line up? Before the game, my view was that it was a very good line up.
Agree a very strong line up - but unfortunately with some questionable positional decisions.

We live and learn, and move on to Boro.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:35 pm

Transpennine wrote:

We can't win-em all.
By the standards we've set, it was 'shite'

But you're correct, we can't win them all and Sunderland strangled us.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:37 pm

Transpennine wrote:
We never looked in any danger of losing tonight...
We were the half width of a cross bar away on one occasion*, and on another lucky that the assistant referee actually got an offside decision correct.
*We were also lucky that it fell kindly for Muric.

BFC12345678
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by BFC12345678 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:43 pm

Rubbish, 180 minutes and no goals. Not good enough

BFC12345678
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by BFC12345678 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:43 pm

If we wanna be a prem geam we shud be beating Sunderland at home

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:48 pm

BFC12345678 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:43 pm
We are gonna be a prem geam.
These 3 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 Bosscat MT03ALG

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:49 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:37 pm
We were the half width of a cross bar away on one occasion*, and on another lucky that the assistant referee actually got an offside decision correct.
*We were also lucky that it fell kindly for Muric.

So they hit the bar and were also correctly given offside.

Just opinions, but I never felt we were in any danger of losing.

Not sure that makes us shite.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:49 pm

4 points from Sunderland, we would have taken that at the start of the season
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat tiger76 MT03ALG k90bfc

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:50 pm

BFC12345678 wrote:
It doesn't work like that, besides, we are/will be a Premier League team very soon.

If you'd said, we need to be and have a better team next season, then I'd go with you on that.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:51 pm

We are shite ??? ... so we don't deserve to be top of the League by 14 points from 2nd and 17 from 3rd ... get a grip Clarets tonight was an off night OK ... I am sure VK will get them in tomorrow and sort it out

We didn't lose 🙂 ...

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:01 am

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:51 pm
We are shite ??? ... so we don't deserve to be top of the League by 14 points from 2nd and 17 from 3rd ... get a grip Clarets tonight was an off night OK ... I am sure VK will get them in tomorrow and sort it out

We didn't lose 🙂 ...
If you're getting that from the thread title and OP, I may as well have just said that Burnley are shite and I want to suck a Unicorns horn.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:04 am

BFC12345678 wrote:
Easter holidays have started. The kids are maxing out on laughing gas and uttering gibberish before it's a criminal offence....

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:08 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:01 am
If you're getting that from the thread title and OP, I may as well have just said that Burnley are shite and I want to suck a Unicorns horn.
Not aimed at you B O T or the thread title buddy ...

Was a swipe at some of the replies down the board ... namely the "Prem geam" type of gibberish 🤣

Had just got in from a shoite drive back bloody lights up Eastern Ave again 😠 just managed to get back for a pint in The Maypole and a catch up with the quizzers ...
This user liked this post: Bin Ont Turf

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:10 am

Fair play to Sunderland they played us well. In fairness, we were a bit off the pace and a bit ponderous, too much messing in and around our penalty area. But we set up a team to attack and probably neglected midfield, and this allowed Sunderland to press and force us backwards.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:23 am

I fear for some of our more nervous posters if Sheff U and Boro win tomorrow and close the gap by two points.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:36 am

DCWat wrote:
It might sound strange and it's very much in hindsight but I thought we went too strong with our lineup. We had no real gamechangers to bring on when Sunderland were tiring. How many times have we brought Benson on or Tella and the game changes? JBG did well but our better and quicker players all started and tired.
These 4 users liked this post: MT03ALG strayclaret Benson mybloodisclaret

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:43 am

With hindsight that was the wrong set up. Cullen was alone in cm. Too many up top ad no connection to the front 3 and little opportunity for Mattson to get forward.

Thought Mowbrey got it spot on.

Still a point gained on Boro and a point nearer to promotion.

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 am

Sunderland set up well, but in the second half we had many opportunities to finish it, but took the wrong decision and Benson air cross and Zarourys touch like an Elephant summed it up.
Tella on the wing nearly all game wrong tactic.
Result going right at Huddersfield and we can still do it at Boro, see you there
UTC

Tw@
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 707 times

Post by Tw@ » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:08 am

Transpennine wrote:

We can't win-em all.
We played Sunderland!!

California Colner
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by California Colner » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:45 am

Shite is the thread

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:57 am

I'm probably in a minority of one in thinking this, which is fine, I accept my reading of the match could be off and some early observation might have prejudiced how I watched the rest of the game, but it felt to me like we were in some areas of our game attempting to step up a level, possibly in anticipation of next season, and also off the back of a front row view of the masters of it, City, smashing us to bits a fortnight ago. Perhaps in attempting to feel this out, combined with a superb Sunderland effort, we weren't as ruthless as we usually are. I'll explain what I mean in a sec, but let me just first say that this is nothing more than a novel way of describing things everyone already knows intuitively. I find that parsing out familiar old concepts and holding my gaze at them in the form of what it essentially long winded over analysis can yield different ways of looking at things. Not necessarily truer or better, but just different; perhaps a clearer way of organising what happens in front of my eyes.

What I'm referring to is mainly three things which combine with and relate to one another: 1) the quickness of the pass. 2) passing angles across the pitch — this can be thought of as the line the ball takes. 3) the players' body shape in receiving and making a pass.

Generally speaking you get very used to seeing the same or similar movements in a team, the same old passing angles from the same players in the same positions whenever you watch a team, and whenever a player makes a pass at an angle you were not expecting you notice it as a clever pass.

For the sake of my argument, three criteria which make a 'clever' pass (I admit to having invented these for the sake of this argument):

1) A focus on one-touch. This is self explanatory. Pass the ball as quick as possible. Constant movement of the ball, constant change in ball trajectory, limiting the amount of time the ball is moving in any particular direction, forcing the opponent to run, tire them out.

2) Unexpected angle. There are passes which are obvious to make, and those which are less so. The obvious pass is the pass which is "on", where the receiving player is unmarked or making himself obviously available to receive the ball to feet directly and squarely, to run on to in the channel etc. An unexpected angle would be the angle of a pass required to find a player not obviously available in any phase of play. Not due to talent, but due to his positioning in a phase of play, this player may be considered less dangerous in any momentary frame of any particular phase of play, and as such, on the basis of the balance of probability and risk, opposition resources are committed to pressing the ball carrier (with more intensity the higher up the pitch they go) and marking the most likely pass receiver(s). An unexpected pass angle goes around this setup, finds a player who was relatively unwatched, and forces the opposition to recalibrate. Their most-likely expectation of which pass will be made is subverted, the opposition is forced to react to play, rather than sit in their comfort zone where they anticipate play.

3) Unexpected pass execution. This relates to body shape and body angle when making the pass. Similar to an unexpected passing angle, an unexpected execution is one where the body language/body shape of the passer is difficult to read. Imagine a player's orientation as a clock face with 12-o-clock being right in front of them, regardless of which way they're facing on the pitch, 6-o-clock being directly behind them, 3-o-clock to their right, etc etc etc. Rather than every pass by any given player being made at 11, 12 or 1-o-clock angles, passes might be flown off at 3, 4, 8, 9 etc. A boxer can read from the opponent's hips and legs when a big haymaker is being set up. Jabs are crucial because they are not as readable. Unexpected pass execution is similar in its effect. If the opponent anticipates that a pass will be made at 12-o-clock, they set up as a team on a most-likely basis that the pass will be made at 12-o-clock. An unexpected pass execution scuppers this anticipation, forcing them to react and reset.

This is what I would define as a 'clever' pass. By its nature a 'clever' pass can't be as well anticipated by the opponent, they can only react to it. It's a moment in a game that stands out to a spectator, and you might get two or three of these in a whole game from a completely average team. We did not see just one or two instances of this against Sunderland: we were doing it all night, mostly in our own deep areas where the rewards of it are less threatening to the opposition, but you'd expect that as we grow in confidence and ability and trust and experience, the locales of such intricate movements can be pushed higher and higher up the pitch to greater effect. The body angle aspect of this is massive. Passes were being hit off one-touch not only at all sorts of diagonals on the pitch, but coming off the pass-maker at all sorts of angles. Again, you see this in every game, but the volume of this kind of play, even by our standards this season, was notable against Sunderland. It's the volume of clever passes that makes me think there was a deliberate effort to step up a level tonight. We've been good this season (understatement of the century), but the rhythm and fluidity was higher that in some of the performances where we've battered teams this season, and this is all the more notable against one of the harder working teams to come to the Turf all season.

So, if we play like this and draw 0-0, why not go back to playing a more 'basic' game and take the three-nil's and the four-nil's to the bank? Because next season we're not going to batter teams 3-0 playing like we have this season. We need to be more clever than we have been in order to get results against the big boys next year, and now is as good a time as ever to put in the practice. By this point the players have the system down to a tee. The run-in is where we attempt to go up a gear technically and tactically. It's the dress rehearsal for next year. This, I think, is something to keep an eye on in the coming games. We need to find more creative ways to play through the ranks, because next year we won't be able to commit to attacks as aggressively and overwhelm the opposition with sheer weight of numbers like we have so often this season. Hence, we make an effort to move the ball with more 'clever' passes.
This user liked this post: BobbinsCobbins

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:28 am

Sunderland came and did a job on us pressing high up the pitch and deserved a point . Only thing I would say is JBG should have started instead of Benson till he gets back up to speed.

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:05 am

jlup1980 wrote:
FWIW I thought most of the first half and all the second it was crying out for Jack Cork to bring a bit more control to the middle of the park. I am surprised in recent times he has become a bench warmer after being the player of the first half of the season.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

roperclaret
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by roperclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:28 am

Spiral wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:57 am
I'm probably in a minority of one in thinking this, which is fine, I accept my reading of the match could be off and some early observation might have prejudiced how I watched the rest of the game, but it felt to me like we were in some areas of our game attempting to step up a level, possibly in anticipation of next season, and also off the back of a front row view of the masters of it, City, smashing us to bits a fortnight ago. Perhaps in attempting to feel this out, combined with a superb Sunderland effort, we weren't as ruthless as we usually are. I'll explain what I mean in a sec, but let me just first say that this is nothing more than a novel way of describing things everyone already knows intuitively. I find that parsing out familiar old concepts and holding my gaze at them in the form of what it essentially long winded over analysis can yield different ways of looking at things. Not necessarily truer or better, but just different; perhaps a clearer way of organising what happens in front of my eyes.

What I'm referring to is mainly three things which combine with and relate to one another: 1) the quickness of the pass. 2) passing angles across the pitch — this can be thought of as the line the ball takes. 3) the players' body shape in receiving and making a pass.

Generally speaking you get very used to seeing the same or similar movements in a team, the same old passing angles from the same players in the same positions whenever you watch a team, and whenever a player makes a pass at an angle you were not expecting you notice it as a clever pass.

For the sake of my argument, three criteria which make a 'clever' pass (I admit to having invented these for the sake of this argument):

1) A focus on one-touch. This is self explanatory. Pass the ball as quick as possible. Constant movement of the ball, constant change in ball trajectory, limiting the amount of time the ball is moving in any particular direction, forcing the opponent to run, tire them out.

2) Unexpected angle. There are passes which are obvious to make, and those which are less so. The obvious pass is the pass which is "on", where the receiving player is unmarked or making himself obviously available to receive the ball to feet directly and squarely, to run on to in the channel etc. An unexpected angle would be the angle of a pass required to find a player not obviously available in any phase of play. Not due to talent, but due to his positioning in a phase of play, this player may be considered less dangerous in any momentary frame of any particular phase of play, and as such, on the basis of the balance of probability and risk, opposition resources are committed to pressing the ball carrier (with more intensity the higher up the pitch they go) and marking the most likely pass receiver(s). An unexpected pass angle goes around this setup, finds a player who was relatively unwatched, and forces the opposition to recalibrate. Their most-likely expectation of which pass will be made is subverted, the opposition is forced to react to play, rather than sit in their comfort zone where they anticipate play.

3) Unexpected pass execution. This relates to body shape and body angle when making the pass. Similar to an unexpected passing angle, an unexpected execution is one where the body language/body shape of the passer is difficult to read. Imagine a player's orientation as a clock face with 12-o-clock being right in front of them, regardless of which way they're facing on the pitch, 6-o-clock being directly behind them, 3-o-clock to their right, etc etc etc. Rather than every pass by any given player being made at 11, 12 or 1-o-clock angles, passes might be flown off at 3, 4, 8, 9 etc. A boxer can read from the opponent's hips and legs when a big haymaker is being set up. Jabs are crucial because they are not as readable. Unexpected pass execution is similar in its effect. If the opponent anticipates that a pass will be made at 12-o-clock, they set up as a team on a most-likely basis that the pass will be made at 12-o-clock. An unexpected pass execution scuppers this anticipation, forcing them to react and reset.

This is what I would define as a 'clever' pass. By its nature a 'clever' pass can't be as well anticipated by the opponent, they can only react to it. It's a moment in a game that stands out to a spectator, and you might get two or three of these in a whole game from a completely average team. We did not see just one or two instances of this against Sunderland: we were doing it all night, mostly in our own deep areas where the rewards of it are less threatening to the opposition, but you'd expect that as we grow in confidence and ability and trust and experience, the locales of such intricate movements can be pushed higher and higher up the pitch to greater effect. The body angle aspect of this is massive. Passes were being hit off one-touch not only at all sorts of diagonals on the pitch, but coming off the pass-maker at all sorts of angles. Again, you see this in every game, but the volume of this kind of play, even by our standards this season, was notable against Sunderland. It's the volume of clever passes that makes me think there was a deliberate effort to step up a level tonight. We've been good this season (understatement of the century), but the rhythm and fluidity was higher that in some of the performances where we've battered teams this season, and this is all the more notable against one of the harder working teams to come to the Turf all season.

So, if we play like this and draw 0-0, why not go back to playing a more 'basic' game and take the three-nil's and the four-nil's to the bank? Because next season we're not going to batter teams 3-0 playing like we have this season. We need to be more clever than we have been in order to get results against the big boys next year, and now is as good a time as ever to put in the practice. By this point the players have the system down to a tee. The run-in is where we attempt to go up a gear technically and tactically. It's the dress rehearsal for next year. This, I think, is something to keep an eye on in the coming games. We need to find more creative ways to play through the ranks, because next year we won't be able to commit to attacks as aggressively and overwhelm the opposition with sheer weight of numbers like we have so often this season. Hence, we make an effort to move the ball with more 'clever' passes.
I think you might have something here. I noticed also that passes seemed to be fizzed in a lot harder to feet when in Sunderland’s half than normal - another attempt to step up a level?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:32 am

Generally, a poor performance - certainly not good enough for next season
All across midfield we are short of height and strength
Cullen and Brownhill just don't seem to have the speed and confidence to beat a man through the middle
Same up front - if Barnes is still thought to be the best available on the night, we have a problem
It looked a strong starting eleven but if you can't beat a stubborn Sunderland at home then summer is an important transfer window
On the plus, thought the back four looked solid

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:59 am

Line up looked strong and probably, if all were up to full speed and it wasn’t after an international break, would have performed much better than that and won.

In the end the key ‘moments’ were summed up with Benson kicking air when he had a simple cut back or taking a rancid touch when JBG clipped one to the back post. Benson pre-injury was way more clinical than that. But like VK said before the game, the best way for these guys to get match fitness is (of course) to play. Not just looking at Benson either as even Tella/Zaroury/Barnes were guilty too.

Churlinov remains a bit of a mystery, scored during the break and generally provides FAR more threat on the wing than Vitinho, who bizarrely came on the left wing and basically ran the ball straight out of play twice in 2 minutes. He’s obviously not in the plans for whatever reason behind the scenes.

I’ve always thought we perform at our very best with a full week off and now we have that ahead of a tough game at Boro, already looking forward to it.
Last edited by RVclaret on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:59 am

We'll learn a lot from last night, a good game for the players and management to look back on and dissect. Sunderland executed a very effective plan against us, rarely seen by other teams this season.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:32 am

it was just one of those games. we looked a little slow passing it tonight and i would sum it up as being a little rusty. still a decent point though on the way to promotion.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 am

I’ve seen worse.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm Bin Ont Turf

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:19 am

Judging by some of the ridiculous reaction on here and social media to drawing at home can only assume people spent yesterday drinking very heavily!

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:23 am

Wasn’t great. I felt our substitutions killed us last night. We were left with no width. I love Benny but it was crying out for bringing him on with 20 to go. I don’t believe we can start him and Tella effectively. We move on.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:31 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:19 am
Judging by some of the ridiculous reaction on here and social media to drawing at home can only assume people spent yesterday drinking very heavily!
Constructive criticism is fair enough, but some people are like temper tantrum toddlers. I've just had a look at the match day thread on here, and some of it is embarrassing. Also, it's quite obvious that there's at least one troll getting his kicks from it. So glad I don't have to rely on that thread for my live match info.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:42 am

Credit to Sunderland who worked very hard for a point, but it was more a case that we didn't deserve to win, than they deserved a draw.
We expect teams to press us, but our outballs were far too often, bloody awful.
Kicking the ball out of play under no pressure.
Playing a pass to a player with 3 men around them, when we had easier options wide open.
Not hitting the channels, or putting a ball over the top for Tella to chase.
Then when we did catch them out of position, giving up the initiative by playing the ball backwards instead of attacking the space.

I thought it was our best team on paper, but too many not at the top of their game today. Good to see Benson back and he did OK, without setting the world alight. Zaroury continues to be an enigma, from where he was before the WC he's lost something. Josh Cullen is a clever player, but he doesn't have the physicality to hold off an attacker and protect the ball, so I wish we'd stop playing that pass to him from Muric. If he doesn't release it first touch we are in **** Street.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 am

Sheedyclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 am
I’ve seen worse.
Ha ha, yes.

A bloke behind me said, "it's like watching the 4th division days".

It was that stupid of a comment I couldn't be bothered saying, well you couldn't have been there and seen it.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:48 am

Not sure throwing THB, Brownhill and Benson back in at the same time was the best move, with that and the international break we just seemed a bit off it. And I thought Sunderland pressed us really well and stopped us playing out from the back.
Funny thought I probably enjoyed the game last night more than the walkovers against Huddersfield and Wigan.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:58 am

Petersa wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:05 am
... it was crying out for Jack Cork to bring a bit more control to the middle of the park. I am surprised in recent times he has become a bench warmer after being the player of the first half of the season.
If you give credence to Spiral's suggestion that we may now be starting to 'practice' our tactics/gameplan for next season, then VK not starting or using Jack Cork would be logical move; Cork's too old to make the step back up to EPL speeds and if he's with us at all next season, it won't be as anything beyond a squad/last twenty minutes player.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:59 am

It was the usual combination of two things. The "superior"team having pretty much a collective off day where nothing clicked and the "inferior" team playing out of their skins and finding energy they clearly don't find week in week out. Sunderland were superbly organised and had the commitment and fitness levels to run and run and see the job through for the entire 96 minutes, so credit to them for that. We struggled to match that energy for once, but we didn't lose and it's another small step towards the ultimate goal. We can certainly play better and in the next two games we'll certainly have to!!

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:59 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 am
Ha ha, yes.

A bloke behind me said, "it's like watching the 4th division days".
I'd have laughed in his face. What a prick.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:06 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:28 am
Sunderland came and did a job on us pressing high up the pitch and deserved a point . Only thing I would say is JBG should have started instead of Benson till he gets back up to speed.
We just moved the ball a bit slowly so even when we did pass it round their press they had time to get back.

I guess that's what having 13 players on international duty all week does for you.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:12 am

That’s was back to the slow passing from the start of the season.

I am surprised he dropped Gudmundsson for Brownhill. He’s been really good recently

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:12 am

That was far from sh!te, it's simply that it was below par against a decent side
with a wily old manager who set his side up to nullify our constant threat.

Usually, sides begin to tire in the second half after all the chasing and harrying that
they have to do. However, last night, their substitutions were spot on.

It's no shame only drawing against them last night - it's going to happen from time
to time and we will just have to live with it and learn to counter tactics like that.

OK, maybe our initial team selection could have been different and some of our substitutions
could have, perhaps, been earlier. For me, Benson should have been used as an impact sub as they
were tiring - but we're all wise after the event.

A point in the bag and a clean sheet. Let's move on to the next game - no harm done.
This user liked this post: Bosscat