JJ and Kealia Watt invest in Burnley FC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Re: JJ and Kealia Watt invest in Burnley FC

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 03, 2023 8:02 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:59 pm
It's possibly the stupidest question I've ever been asked. I don't ask you to 'give it a rest', I merely ask for some perspective. It is one NFL star in a competition where some own NFL franchises and one group owns the New York Yankees. That's the competition...

Of course, we cannot compete with the likes of the City group or Wrexham, who have a hollywood superstar at the helm, so the meaning of it is relatively unclear to me. I thought that was the point of a forum - you have a debate!
Did you really say we can’t compete with Wrexham?

Erm

Bruh
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 03, 2023 8:04 pm

His brother, TJ who is the All-Pro star defensive end for the Pittsburgh Steelers:

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/16538 ... VulgQ&s=08

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed May 03, 2023 8:35 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
It's possibly the stupidest question I've ever been asked. I don't ask you to 'give it a rest', I merely ask for some perspective. It is one NFL star in a competition where some own NFL franchises and one group owns the New York Yankees. That's the competition...

Of course, we cannot compete with the likes of the City group or Wrexham, who have a hollywood superstar at the helm, so the meaning of it is relatively unclear to me. I thought that was the point of a forum - you have a debate!
Give it a rest!

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Wed May 03, 2023 8:38 pm

One of his tweets in the replies to the tweet linked above, you've got one of the most famous, most popular NFL legends literally out there on twitter to his 5+ million followers trying to convert anyone who'll interact with him over to Burnley with fkin Snoop Dog gifs, this is absolutely amazing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed May 03, 2023 8:39 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:

We know it’s only one NFL star.

We know we can’t compete with the Big 6, or some of the more bigger, established PL sides.

But we’re not trying to, and you’ve missed the point entirely..

We are quite clearly trying to create a niche following based on our uniqueness and tradition, which will resonate with some Americans. Much like what the Green Bay Packers do.

All I’m seeing is jubilation that little ol’ Burnley are now getting exposure that even 5 years ago we could only dream of.
These 5 users liked this post: Minimoog timshorts mybloodisclaret Kgun5 Foshiznik

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Erm

Bruh
If you are arguing that we are generating more PR than Ryan Reynolds then so be it.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:47 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:39 pm
We know it’s only one NFL star.

We know we can’t compete with the Big 6, or some of the more bigger, established PL sides.

But we’re not trying to, and you’ve missed the point entirely..

We are quite clearly trying to create a niche following based on our uniqueness and tradition, which will resonate with some Americans. Much like what the Green Bay Packers do.

All I’m seeing is jubilation that little ol’ Burnley are now getting exposure that even 5 years ago we could only dream of.
You've missed the point we have to compete with the established PL sides, otherwise, we are back to square one. The PL differentials alone are tantamount to millions.

The Venky's have to chuck £20 million into Rovers wage bill so that they can compete at the top end of the Championship. Our entire commercial and match day revenue in the PL is £20 million.

All I'm saying is get some perspective. This is good but its significance is yet to be ascertained.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 03, 2023 8:49 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 pm
If you are arguing that we are generating more PR than Ryan Reynolds then so be it.
It's not a competition, I said in a similar vein of what Wrexham are doing right now - being in the PL alone next season smashes us up into millions of eyeballs around the globe - now as Footy grows in America (remember that hey host the next WC) there will be a lot of Yanks looking for a team to root for, which is what JJs aim will be direct them to the Clarets!

Wrexham are a long, long way off becoming a PL club, they will probably get out of League 2 relatively easy, but the real test comes getting promotion from league one and being a Champ club.

I'll also add that I've spent an extended period in Nashville TN - on Nashville Soccer gamedays you see yellow shirts everywhere, Geordis Park is sold out everyweek - it is definitely growing over there
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Wed May 03, 2023 8:51 pm

Great move by our chairman to get JJ on board. Welcome to Burnley

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed May 03, 2023 8:57 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Erm

Bruh
Wrexham’s open top bus parade made the 6 o’clock news on the BBC last night, let’s see if ours has the same coverage next week!

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Wed May 03, 2023 9:01 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:47 pm
You've missed the point we have to compete with the established PL sides, otherwise, we are back to square one. The PL differentials alone are tantamount to millions.

The Venky's have to chuck £20 million into Rovers wage bill so that they can compete at the top end of the Championship. Our entire commercial and match day revenue in the PL is £20 million.

All I'm saying is get some perspective. This is good but its significance is yet to be ascertained.
In order to compete, we have to try stuff like this. Don't you get it? Nobody is saying it will transform finances overnight. Just enjoy this positive step.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed May 03, 2023 9:08 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 pm
Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny capture a huge entertainment audience, and Wrexham will pick up fans through that for sure, but Watt in particular, being a sportsperson, captures an actual sports audience. People tuned in to Watt as a famous person are more likely to be sports minded, so while you might rightly argue Wrexham can potentially cast a much wider net because of its owners' profiles, Watt's involvement and promotion of Burnley, due to his background naturally targets people inclined to sport, even if they haven't yet discovered footy, or are aware of the PL but just haven't settled on a team.

I don't have an NFL team and I don't know much about it, but if, say, Robbie Blake (and imagine he's also really famous outside Burnley) turns up and goes, "right, you're all Seattle Seahawks fans, no negotiation", well, that's that settled: I'm now a Seahawks fan. I'm not listening if it's, say, Hugh Grant telling me who to follow, even though Hugh Grant is probably more recognisable than most football players. The extent to which people engage directly can be debated, but indirect engagement through social media, people's awareness of the brand, and their engagement with content, these things can all be analysed and expressed as data points, data which can then be leveraged when negotiating sponsorship and inviting further investment. The leveraging of the brand is fundamental to all of this. If you take nothing else away from this thread, take this: positive exposure generates commercial leverage.
Last edited by Spiral on Wed May 03, 2023 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 CoolClaret Greenmile

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Wed May 03, 2023 9:10 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:41 pm
Claret Pete:

Americans have proper bought into the Wrexham thing and they're three divisions below us and it'll be hard for them to watch games etc; now we are going to be back on ESPN+ everywhere as of next season with a lot of good publicity both on TV and online about us it's only going to be positive in the outcome in growing the Club.
not on ESPN+ we're not. EPL is on Peacock (streaming service of NBC).... unless it's the cup competitions

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed May 03, 2023 9:42 pm

The extended global exposure of brand Burnley makes us a much more attractive proposition and thus increases the value of sponsorship deals, that' could equate to some serious additional income.

Will this promotion activity to all these social media followers result in a much increased revenue through merchandise sales?

How else can their involvement be monetised?

Women's football is experiencing a rapid pace of development, not just in the UK, but across Europe and the wider footballing world. What can Mrs Watt add that is currently missing and how is her involvement going to give us an advantage over other women's teams in the UK?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 04, 2023 2:19 am

This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 04, 2023 3:17 am

These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Greenmile

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu May 04, 2023 5:38 am

He's certainly pushing us into the news stateside.
What's not to like.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Thu May 04, 2023 7:27 am

We need to get Ted Lasso to endorse us… Richmond don’t exist but the journey we’ve been on more or less follows that story arc. Relegation-immediate promotion and moving from 442 to total football. :D :D
This user liked this post: JohnMac

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu May 04, 2023 7:53 am

martin_p wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:57 pm
Wrexham’s open top bus parade made the 6 o’clock news on the BBC last night, let’s see if ours has the same coverage next week!
I think this post also fundamentally misses the point.

The parade being on the BBC news is all very good but it’s a relatively small audience, the majority of whom will already be connected to a club in some way. People watch and go “ohh, that’s nice” but in terms of expanding Rhein brand it achieves little. The counter argument being that they’ve already expanded the brand to make it on that show.

The point above about Hugh Grant is a good one and I think captures really well what we are seeing unfold in front of us.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu May 04, 2023 8:02 am

martin_p wrote:
We'd only get on the BBC if the open top bus just paraded up and down the back streets and boarded up front streets of Burnley Wood, hired in whippets to set the scene.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu May 04, 2023 8:53 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:53 am
I think this post also fundamentally misses the point.

The parade being on the BBC news is all very good but it’s a relatively small audience, the majority of whom will already be connected to a club in some way. People watch and go “ohh, that’s nice” but in terms of expanding Rhein brand it achieves little. The counter argument being that they’ve already expanded the brand to make it on that show.

The point above about Hugh Grant is a good one and I think captures really well what we are seeing unfold in front of us.
I used the bus top parade as an example of the reach Wrexham now have compared to what we have or will have under JJ Watt. I’m not saying we won’t get increased exposure but it isn’t going to be on the scale that a Hollywood superstar brings (which was the point ClaretPete was making and someone was arguing against). In terms of global reach Hollywood beats the NFL hands down. I suspect in most of the world outside of North America, even if the news that an NFL star has invested in Burnley has reached them, the reaction would be similar to most on here….. JJ Who?

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu May 04, 2023 11:43 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:53 am
I used the bus top parade as an example of the reach Wrexham now have compared to what we have or will have under JJ Watt. I’m not saying we won’t get increased exposure but it isn’t going to be on the scale that a Hollywood superstar brings (which was the point ClaretPete was making and someone was arguing against). In terms of global reach Hollywood beats the NFL hands down. I suspect in most of the world outside of North America, even if the news that an NFL star has invested in Burnley has reached them, the reaction would be similar to most on here….. JJ Who?
I’m not sure about the Hollywood thing, as someone says above, a sportsman plugging to sports lovers is arguably more targeted.

One thing that the Wrexham fairytale needs, in true Hollywood fashion is continuing success to keep it/them in the limelight and despite everything they are a long way from getting the weekly exposure we will see next season back in the land of milk and honey that is the Premier League.

My brother made a good point on this by referencing the Venkys. They bought Blackburn and had an ad campaign with David Dunn and AN other scoffing fried chicken, One billion Indian people seeing it were probably thinking “who the f*** are they”.

However, had they been able to engage an Indian cricket megastar like Virat Kholi or Sachin Tendulakr to endorse the club and be named as an investor etc and appear all over TV talking about his new venture they’d have had far more buy in. Easier said than done of course but I think it compares what we are doing and what ClaretPete is suggesting quite well.

Look at the SA reaction to Luke Foster, bringing him in created loads of publicity,

Some of our US based posters might be able to tell us, do the franchise owned clubs push their UK entities at any significant level or are they aware of any other US sporting stars that have invested so publicly in a UK football club like Watt has?

Kgun5
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 255 times

Post by Kgun5 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:17 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:49 pm
It's not a competition, I said in a similar vein of what Wrexham are doing right now - being in the PL alone next season smashes us up into millions of eyeballs around the globe - now as Footy grows in America (remember that hey host the next WC) there will be a lot of Yanks looking for a team to root for, which is what JJs aim will be direct them to the Clarets!

Wrexham are a long, long way off becoming a PL club, they will probably get out of League 2 relatively easy, but the real test comes getting promotion from league one and being a Champ club.

I'll also add that I've spent an extended period in Nashville TN - on Nashville Soccer gamedays you see yellow shirts everywhere, Geordis Park is sold out everyweek - it is definitely growing over there
As an American who became a Burnley fan at the start of their first PL season and also ended up getting engaged at Turf Moor, I speak from confidence when I say this kind of fan recruitment is undervalued.

JJ has a new fan in me.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Foshiznik JohnMac

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 04, 2023 2:56 pm

martin_p wrote:
Wrexham wont gain any fans from being on the BBC, people already have their clubs in the UK, they don't in the US.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu May 04, 2023 3:35 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 2:56 pm
Wrexham wont gain any fans from being on the BBC, people already have their clubs in the UK, they don't in the US.
Again, I used this as an example of the coverage that a Hollywood celebrity brings over a retired NFL star. If you want more examples search YouTube for all the US tv stations covering a non-league team being promoted to the fourth tier.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu May 04, 2023 3:41 pm

They’ve undoubtedly had coverage over and above anything that any previous conference winner has experienced. No doubt about that and they will have benefited financially from the additional exposure.

However, I’m not convinced they will have attracted additional fans. Despot everything, next year they will still be playing at a low level with limited international coverage. They may get more iFollow subscribers than their counterparts but they won’t have anywhere near the same level of exposure we will.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 04, 2023 3:56 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:35 pm
Again, I used this as an example of the coverage that a Hollywood celebrity brings over a retired NFL star. If you want more examples search YouTube for all the US tv stations covering a non-league team being promoted to the fourth tier.
I live here, I know the coverage

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri May 05, 2023 4:09 pm

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/16544 ... u398w&s=19

This is interesting
He's been asked for advice on how an American can get into watching/picking a team to follow

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri May 05, 2023 5:07 pm

I've just seen one of his posts on instagram about us has roughly quarter of a million likes

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Fri May 05, 2023 5:31 pm

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 07, 2023 7:17 pm

you may need a vpn to watch this but he was on NBC today before the Arsenal game (huge channel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989u21HpZhI
This user liked this post: Cajun

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 07, 2023 7:25 pm

On Kompany - "there's a reason lots of players from Europe and all over the world want to come and play for Burnley"

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:17 pm
you may need a vpn to watch this but he was on NBC today before the Arsenal game (huge channel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989u21HpZhI
Put my vpn on ,still not playing

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun May 07, 2023 7:38 pm

Honestly, anyone that isn't excited by how things have been over the last year, both on and off the pitch, need to get a grip. We barely got a look in on the back pages of newspapers 20-30 years ago, we're now being talked about by elite sportsmen with millions of followers on platforms beamed to hundreds of millions of people's homes across one of the most wealthiest nations on earth. This is actually insane, it doesn't feel real.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun May 07, 2023 7:42 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:38 pm
Honestly, anyone that isn't excited by how things have been over the last year, both on and off the pitch, need to get a grip. We barely got a look in on the back pages of newspapers 20-30 years ago, we're now being talked about by elite sportsmen with millions of followers on platforms beamed to hundreds of millions of people's homes across one of the most wealthiest nations on earth. This is actually insane, it doesn't feel real.
I said on another thread, with no Burnley bias (because I've never thought this in my life before now) I genuinely think we're the coolest club in English football. There's always someone who is the coolest, and that club has its moment, then it passes and they become some machine. That cool factor cannot be underestimated, I don't think.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun May 07, 2023 7:43 pm

It's nuts. Honestly, who would have ever thought about this happening to our small little town? I think it's absolutely amazing and Alan Pace is the driving force behind it all.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun May 07, 2023 7:47 pm

It’s an extremely exciting time to be a Burnley fan, expect to hear some different accents in and around the turf next season

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun May 07, 2023 8:21 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:42 pm
I said on another thread, with no Burnley bias (because I've never thought this in my life before now) I genuinely think we're the coolest club in English football. There's always someone who is the coolest, and that club has its moment, then it passes and they become some machine. That cool factor cannot be underestimated, I don't think.
Glad you got your cool in again Spiral ,your last post was excellent .

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 07, 2023 8:25 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:42 pm
I'm expecting a Wrexham v Burnley pre season game !!!

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sun May 07, 2023 8:26 pm

Terrific interview over several minutes today is that, great publicity for the club and town.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sun May 07, 2023 8:27 pm

I've got my cool strut on. I'm a Burnley fan and loving it. UTC

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 07, 2023 8:28 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm
Put my vpn on ,still not playing
small snippet on twitter https://twitter.com/PLinUSA/status/1655 ... 48320?s=20

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun May 07, 2023 8:31 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:21 pm
Glad you got your cool in again Spiral ,your last post was excellent .
Yeah, it's a thought that's been banging around my head for a bit and I've not seen it articulated, but I think what I say about it all is consistent with the evidence of the last year. Shame that the other thread I mentioned it on got $hitcanned just because some ninnies want every thread to be a safe space for them. I didn't say anything offensive on it, most of the offensiveness was aimed at me and I don't care about it.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun May 07, 2023 8:33 pm

JJ and Kealia were sat at the next table to Mrs DC and I in the Palazzo tonight.

Over for the game.
This user liked this post: jedi_master

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun May 07, 2023 8:35 pm

I want to see him up close and in person just becaise I want to confirm my suspicion that his arms are bigger than my legs.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun May 07, 2023 8:36 pm

I can confirm that would be true.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sun May 07, 2023 8:46 pm

Can I just go on record as saying I hate the whole bloody Hollywood Wrexham circus. I have absolutely nothing against the club, its fans and the town. They'd be getting pretty solid gates ever since they went down. They have tradition. The two Yankees who discovered the place and football haven't got a damn clue what that tradition means.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sun May 07, 2023 8:52 pm

ecc wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:46 pm
The two Yankees who discovered the place and football haven't got a damn clue what that tradition means.
One's Canadian.
This user liked this post: ChrisG

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun May 07, 2023 8:54 pm

ecc wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:46 pm
Can I just go on record as saying I hate the whole bloody Hollywood Wrexham circus. I have absolutely nothing against the club, its fans and the town. They'd be getting pretty solid gates ever since they went down. They have tradition. The two Yankees who discovered the place and football haven't got a damn clue what that tradition means.
I wonder what percentage of Wrexham fans would agree with you ?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun May 07, 2023 9:00 pm

Ryan Reynolds is insanely rich to be fair and that's what fans value above almost everything else, even their own tradition. Putting aside his acting riches, he owns about 25% of mint mobile which is being acquired by T-Mobile for about one and a quarter billion ('B' - billion), and that's just one of his businesses.