JJ and Kealia Watt invest in Burnley FC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: JJ and Kealia Watt invest in Burnley FC

Post by martin_p » Wed May 10, 2023 8:40 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:22 pm
You might be getting confused because he’s played DE in a 3-4 front with an extra edge rusher/OLB next to him
???????

I can see why that might confuse people! :lol:

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed May 10, 2023 8:51 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:37 pm
first time I've heard him talk about part of his role being attracting new investment
https://twitter.com/BBCLancsSport/statu ... 28129?s=20

If you let the video complete it should roll to one with Kealia
Thanks for posting Vegas.

Will listen to Kealia later, but hearing JJ speak is so refreshing; totally gets the club, seems to love it as much as we do, is realistic about our ambitions but dares to dream too - which, let’s face it, is what we all want and what footballs all about - but hugely intoxicating comparative to what we’ve generally heard from club owners.

Also interesting that part of his role is attracting other investors. Really exciting.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 10, 2023 9:01 pm

martin_p wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:40 pm
???????

I can see why that might confuse people! :lol:
Lol

I just looked at the stats from one of his mid career and he lined up most of the time in something called 4 technique, 7 technique then 3 technique with less than 1% of plays in 0/1 tech (which is a traditional defensive/nose tackle does)

In todays NFL he’d just be called an EDGE defender - he is a generational talent that has the speed of a linebacker and the power/ size of a defensive tackle

It is confusing unless you’re mad into it or played the game or played a lot of madden! (Which I did as a teen)

Basically - most base defences (how they are referred to) in the NFL (not necessarily college/HS) are either 3-4 or 4-3 referring to the structure of their front 7

3-4 is three down linemen, four linebackers
4-3 is four down lineman, three linebackers

——-DE-NT-DE
OLB-MLB-MLB-OLB

-DE—DT—DT—DE
—-OLB—MLB—-OLB

DE = defensive end, NT = Nose tackle, DT = Defensive tackle

OLB = outside linebacker, MLB = middle linebacker

In a 4-3 the defensive ends are predominantly pass rushers, in a 3-4 they are predominantly edge defenders/run stuffers.

A Nose tackle tends to be bigger than a defensive tackle (some can play both) - talking 6ft3+ 330lb+ vs 6ft 290lb+ and a nose tackle is expected to take up more ‘gaps’ and will often be double/triplex teamed by the opposite offensive line

In a 4-3 the linebackers are predominantly run stuffers/pass defenders where as a 3-4 the two outer linebackers are predominantly pass rushers and the middle linebackers run stuffers/pass defenders

The ‘1/3/4/5/7’ technique just refers to which gap/offensive lineman the defensive players lineup over - a 3 technique being on the outer shoulder of a guard, between guard and tackle

There are crossovers of course but JJ had the unique ability to be a bit of a freak - often times got double teamed and could still set the edge and sack the QB meaning he was a real headache for offensive co-ordinators

Massive thread tangent but I hope you might have learnt something 🤣
These 3 users liked this post: martin_p Paul Waine BurningBeard

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 10, 2023 9:37 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:01 pm
Lol

I just looked at the stats from one of his mid career and he lined up most of the time in something called 4 technique, 7 technique then 3 technique with less than 1% of plays in 0/1 tech (which is a traditional defensive/nose tackle does)

In todays NFL he’d just be called an EDGE defender - he is a generational talent that has the speed of a linebacker and the power/ size of a defensive tackle

It is confusing unless you’re mad into it or played the game or played a lot of madden! (Which I did as a teen)

Basically - most base defences (how they are referred to) in the NFL (not necessarily college/HS) are either 3-4 or 4-3 referring to the structure of their front 7

——-DE-NT-DE
OLB-MLB-MLB-OLB

-DE—DT—DT—DE
—-OLB—MLB—-OLB

In a 4-3 the defensive ends are predominantly pass rushers, in a 3-4 they are predominantly edge defenders/run stuffers.

A Nose tackle tends to be bigger than a defensive tackle (some can play both) - talking 6ft3+ 330lb+ vs 6ft 290lb+ and a nose tackle is expected to take up more ‘gaps’ and will often be double/triplex teamed by the opposite offensive line

In a 4-3 the linebackers are predominantly run stuffers/pass defenders where as a 3-4 the two outer linebackers are predominantly pass rushers and the middle linebackers run stuffers/pass defenders

The ‘1/3/4/5/7’ technique just refers to which gap/offensive lineman the defensive players lineup over - a 3 technique being on the outer shoulder of a guard, between guard and tackle

There are crossovers of course but JJ had the unique ability to be a bit of a freak - often times got double teamed and could still set the edge and sack the QB meaning he was a real headache for offensive co-ordinators

Great post, breaks it down well. Thanks
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 pm

This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri May 12, 2023 10:19 pm

Keep on spreading the word JJ & Kealia.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 12, 2023 10:44 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Lol

——-DE-NT-DE
OLB-MLB-MLB-OLB

-DE—DT—DT—DE
—-OLB—MLB—-OLB

Great post, Cool.

Not sure what I've learnt, but sure I've learnt something.

So, I'm now expecting JJ to rush and sack all the "no quarter backers" who are trying to get away when Alan Pace seeks their investments in BFC (via ALK/VSP, of course).

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri May 12, 2023 11:00 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:44 pm
Great post, Cool.

Not sure what I've learnt, but sure I've learnt something.

So, I'm now expecting JJ to rush and sack all the "no quarter backers" who are trying to get away when Alan Pace seeks their investments in BFC (via ALK/VSP, of course).
Ha - something like that

Any NFL/American Football questions feel free to ask

Once you understand what they're trying to achieve it makes it a lot more fun!

In a way it's similar to at least modern football - it's about creating favourable matchups to maximise your teams particular strength against another teams weakness.

For example - if an offense has a big physical good ball catching tight end (it's like a receiver), & they think the defense is blitzing in man coverage - ie man to man not zonal (think like in football at set pieces, we have man or zonal marking) - that will usually indicate that the tight end is going to be one on one with a Safety - that he should be a lot bigger than - so the offense will try and draw up a play to target the tight end knowing that he will be able to get seperation and be too physical for the safety and thus gain yards on a play

It's similar how we will keep our wingers on the touchline and try and shift play quickly to them when in space so that they can challenge the fullback one on one rather than against a fullback with help from a midfielder, for example.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Braindead

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Fri May 12, 2023 11:08 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Lol

——-DE-NT-DE
OLB-MLB-MLB-OLB

-DE—DT—DT—DE
—-OLB—MLB—-OLB

That is literally a foreign language to me but it’s a great post for someone who understands it

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri May 12, 2023 11:10 pm

I'll just add -

That's what makes brilliant Coaches and Team Captains/Quarterbacks better from the rest -

On Offense the quarterback will usually be given a play to execute but often now they are now given two plays to do run dependent on how the opposition are lined up, and also have different audibles out of a certain coverage.

Similarly on defense the sort of team captain can 'audible' out of a coverage if they think they may be exploited -

For example, a QB may not like his protection (the offensive line) and feel like he is going to get killed on a play that might take longer to develop (wide receiver routes are deeper for example) and think the opposition is blitzing - so he may check out into a run play, or a different pass play that has a running back form part of the pass protection, and the receivers running shorter routes

& on defense, the team captain might think that the opposition know they're going to blitz and are going to fake a run and try and sting them over them over the top trying to exploit one on one matchups so may audible out into a play that sends less people after the quarterback and more people into coverage.

The best players/teams - like in any sport execute well and disguise what they're trying to do well, or are just that good you know what they're going to do and you can't stop it - but that doesn't happen to much the NFL always figure teams out... Which is why it's fun to watch!

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri May 12, 2023 11:12 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:08 pm
That is literally a foreign language to me but it’s a great post for someone who understands it
Ha - Just think of a 4-3 or 3-4 similar to if a manager prefers playing with a back 3 or a back 4

Different personal on the field = different roles and responsibilities for each player

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:07 pm

I see that Wrexham have just announced United Airlines as their new shirt sponsor (not that I imagine we have anywhere like the presence in the US to get anything similar).

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:07 pm
I see that Wrexham have just announced United Airlines as their new shirt sponsor (not that I imagine we have anywhere like the presence in the US to get anything similar).
Interesting

I've flown with United quite a lot and I've found their customer service really really good.

They've just placed (well, a few months back) a ginormous order of 100 Boeing 787s - their CEO has ambitions to be the largest airline in the world

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm

Well done Wrexham. If we could go Global, it would be a huge jump from local businesses and it is what we need to aspire to. We can't be 'Lil ol Burnley' any longer.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm
We can't be 'Lil ol Burnley' any longer.
Maybe “Lidl ol Burnley”? Global brand and in keeping with our underdog status.

Doesn’t quite have the glamour of United Airline though :lol:
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:45 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:07 pm
Any idea on the figures?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:40 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm
Well done Wrexham. If we could go Global, it would be a huge jump from local businesses and it is what we need to aspire to. We can't be 'Lil ol Burnley' any longer.
Absolutely agree - a big American brand would be brilliant and a big improvement on a betting firm. I think we’re a bit behind Wrexham though in raising awareness

We’ll need other high profile American investors other than JJ and Kealia, I think. That’s where I find Malcolm Jenkins and CJ Uzmoah’s lack of interest a bit frustrating - both have the profile to raise awareness if not on the scale of JJ but don’t seem to be that emotionally invested. Very much silent investors, which I find odd.

Will also need the documentary to air there and to be a big success. Plus maybe a further season or two.

If we became a brand there we may attract a sponsor, but pretty sure the outlay for United Airlines will be a lot easier to justify when it’s a few hundred k than when it’s £m’s.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:54 pm

JJ is just doing what comes naturally to him. For Jenkins and anyone else they are doing what comes naturally to them. If they aren't as natural in front of the camera it wouldn't work. So they work for the club in different ways that we won't see.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 am

Wrexham may have a big name sponsor but I bet our sponsorship is worth more.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:34 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:40 pm
Absolutely agree - a big American brand would be brilliant and a big improvement on a betting firm. I think we’re a bit behind Wrexham though in raising awareness

We’ll need other high profile American investors other than JJ and Kealia, I think. That’s where I find Malcolm Jenkins and CJ Uzmoah’s lack of interest a bit frustrating - both have the profile to raise awareness if not on the scale of JJ but don’t seem to be that emotionally invested. Very much silent investors, which I find odd.

Will also need the documentary to air there and to be a big success. Plus maybe a further season or two.

If we became a brand there we may attract a sponsor, but pretty sure the outlay for United Airlines will be a lot easier to justify when it’s a few hundred k than when it’s £m’s.
Pretty sure the first picture taken of Ashley watching Carolina before he’d signed, Malcolm Jenkins was sat to his immediate right. Money men don’t always work in the limelight. If he set up a deal for Ashley that saved us 1/2 a seasons wages at 40k per week, I’m sure he got a nice bonus

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:17 am

Foshiznik wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 am
I'm expecting Ryan Reynolds to do the next United advert and in flight safety video !

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:23 am

Sheedyclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:45 pm
Any idea on the figures?
No idea. I imagine it will dwarf any other League Two shirt deals and very likely be one of the highest in the football league.

Paying for Ryan Reynolds to advertise your product doesn't come cheap. The Wrexham bit is probably a nice bonus.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:10 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:54 pm
JJ is just doing what comes naturally to him. For Jenkins and anyone else they are doing what comes naturally to them. If they aren't as natural in front of the camera it wouldn't work. So they work for the club in different ways that we won't see.
This is a fair point. And they may also have very different-sized holdings and potentially in different entities (i.e. not BFC directly).

I follow both on Instagram though and don’t post anything about Burnley. Even when we won the title I was looking out for them and don’t recall anything.

I can see your point about what comes naturally to people but I’d have thought as a minimum they might promote the club they’ve invested in on social media. It seems odd to me not to want to do it when you have some money on the line.

But agree maybe there are contributions behind the scenes we don’t know about.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:14 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:34 am
Pretty sure the first picture taken of Ashley watching Carolina before he’d signed, Malcolm Jenkins was sat to his immediate right. Money men don’t always work in the limelight. If he set up a deal for Ashley that saved us 1/2 a seasons wages at 40k per week, I’m sure he got a nice bonus
I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing. If he is having a positive impact like that behind the scenes that is good. I do still feel they could do a little more on social media/general PR though.

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:07 pm

Aer Lingus would be good shirt sponsors...hundreds of thousands of Irish Americans all over the States.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:12 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:07 pm
Aer Lingus would be good shirt sponsors...hundreds of thousands of Irish Americans all over the States.
30-35 million Americans pretend to be Irish.
That's why US presidents pander to them.
This user liked this post: LDNBFC87

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:30 pm

he might be onto something :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-09 11.29.41 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-09 11.29.41 AM.png (86.86 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller RHansburyEsq IanMcL

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:50 am

pretty sure this will be JJ's doing
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-18 5.49.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-18 5.49.13 PM.png (740.49 KiB) Viewed 3442 times

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:58 am

This is quite old now but could be why we've brought JJ onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:05 am

claretabroad wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:58 am
This is quite old now but could be why we've brought JJ onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94
Classic these.

Absolutely loved it when it came out mind 😂

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:23 am

Foshiznik wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 am
Interesting how you’d measure that…

To me, I’d say United is a better sponsor due and will bring in more long term

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:23 am
Interesting how you’d measure that…

To me, I’d say United is a better sponsor due and will bring in more long term
I meant financially

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 174 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:10 pm

Foshiznik wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:37 pm
I meant financially
That’s what I meant too.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:57 pm

These 8 users liked this post: Goody1975 jtv Guller Bull lesxdp IanMcL theonlywayisup bfcjg evensteadiereddie

Goody1975
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:09 pm

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:36 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:10 pm
That’s what I meant too.
Our sponsorship will dwarf Wrexham's.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:18 pm

The Watts are definitely doing their bit.
Thank you.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:54 am

Brilliant!!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:07 am

More coverage for the clarets last night on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon sampling a Bene ‘n’ Hot!

https://x.com/fallontonight/status/1710 ... lZZSTWQhog
This user liked this post: burnleymik

RHansburyEsq
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by RHansburyEsq » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:21 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:07 am
More coverage for the clarets last night on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon sampling a Bene ‘n’ Hot!

Surreal. Still can’t quite get my head round our corner of east lancs getting airtime like this. Can’t be bad for us. Not sure how pleased Benedictine’s marketing dept will be mind!

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:22 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:07 am

Hahah brilliant! I love his enthusiasm for everything Burnley. They have been excellent ambassadors.
These 3 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm mkmel longsidepies

Passing Clouds
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Passing Clouds » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:23 am

RHansburyEsq wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:21 am
Surreal. Still can’t quite get my head round our corner of east lancs getting airtime like this. Can’t be bad for us. Not sure how pleased Benedictine’s marketing dept will be mind!
So surreal. Followed Jimmy Fallon for a long time. To hear him say ‘Up the Clarets’ blows my mind!

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:23 am

He’s been a total breath of fresh air for the club and town.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:34 am

Apart from anything else, he seems a top bloke. We are very lucky to have him.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:54 am

He certainly comes across really well. His enthusiasm for the club and town is fantastic to see.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:02 am

He’s class. Refreshing change from the knuckle draggers of the town making the headlines.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm NewClaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:16 am

He’s a brilliant guy. So genuine, humble, has taken the time to learn the history and traditions of the club, etc. what he’s doing for us across the pond is nothing short of incredible… and let’s face it, he doesn’t have to do this, others like Malcolm Jenkins have invested but haven’t. Top guy.

If Carlsberg did investors stuff.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:18 am

I love the guy and his fabulous enthusiasm about our great football club and the town of Burnley

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:21 am

There's something exceptionally hollow about it all. JJ Watt going on American TV Shows, doing the same patter. Its novelty seeing random actors or American sports stars wearing the Burnley clobber, but we’ll be paying these people to wear them.

On the back of it all are we selling more merchandise, do we have more international fans subscribing to ClaretsPlayer?

I suppose that is what modern football is now though.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:27 am

Ummm they are drinking B&B there, not Benedictine!