Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Re: Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:41 pm

Three mentions in the morning papers. All old news.
IMG_3481.jpeg
IMG_3481.jpeg (186.61 KiB) Viewed 5006 times

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:13 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:05 pm
I'm no mathematician but even I can work out the sums where BG is concerned from the 15 to the 8, add ons were attached so the 15 wouldn't have been reached but you can also assume the 8 from Norwich would have included add ons also, people trying to suggest breaking even are away with the clouds, I'm not suggesting anybody I'm suggesting you specifically with the international spiel, its a transfer we should have stayed away from, but what should have happened earlier is a take or leave it offer with mee with a timed retraction & no dilly dallying without Gibson turning up thinking it's his position he wouldn't have left & the 7 or thereabouts wouldn't have been lost.
A longer sentence than many murderers get.
These 2 users liked this post: LDNBFC87 Greenmile

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:43 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:05 pm
Multiple clubs linked, decent player .
Is this the right Diallo? I thought us and West Ham were going for Habib Diallo.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by BigGaz » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:48 am

bumba wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:14 pm
So VK has told you Ian Maatsen's role is too be the highest and widest player at all times?
His role is left back, a left back these days attacks as much as they defend but his job over Zaroury's on the left was to stop the right winger, something he struggled with against anybody half decent.
You seem to think your from the school of football with a brain like Pep.
Ian Maatsen if deployed in our team in the premier league will have to defend more than he gets to attack, plenty of 21 year old full backs can defend.
Why does TAA get so much stick regarding his defending? Why did Liverpool concede so many goals from his side? Why doesn't the England manager fancy him when he's so good at attacking and creating chances? Maybe it's because his role is to defend first.
All roles have changed but there also still as simple as ever, football is a simple game.
We just play an expressive style of play now where players get more freedom to move out of the usual squares players used to be taught to play in and can roam more freely when in possession but out of possession Ian Maatsen's role is to get back in to the left back position and defend.
You might see a left backs primary role as being a defender, and no doubts or arguments that under Dyche, it was.

In Kompanys system, whilst yes he needs a lb to defend, there’s a bit more nuance to it.

If you want a lb to come in and be stronger defensively and sacrifice his attacking side then what you are saying really is that you expect Kompany to fundamentally alter his approach, which isn’t what is going to happen and so we need one of these ‘modern’ fullback type.

If you’re saying what we need is someone who retains Maatsens attacking prowess but improves on his defending significantly then I’d be extremely interested to learn who you think fits that profile within our budget?

Nobody will pay 20m for Maatsen by the way. Half that gets him. I suspect agent or the club putting the feelers out.

Also, I’ve been led to believe that our situation with Maatsen is a lot more advanced than what is being written about in the press. Might not yet turn out to be right but very much delivered in a good faith “take it or leave it” crumb of chatter.

So I’d maybe get comfortable with the idea.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 am

Bullabill wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:13 am
A longer sentence than many murderers get.
Thanks for the insightful response there's a lot to build on with that.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:39 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 am
Thanks for the insightful response there's a lot to build on with that.
Be fair, it’s more insightful than most of your posts!

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:43 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:39 am
Be fair, it’s more insightful than most of your posts!
That's your opinion which you are entitled to, we can go around in circles having digs or we can get on with discussing transfers & gossip etc, I know which I'd rather do.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am

We’re all a little odd, but this thread is full of the oddest men in Oddsville.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Post by bumba » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:19 am

BigGaz wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:48 am
You might see a left backs primary role as being a defender, and no doubts or arguments that under Dyche, it was.

In Kompanys system, whilst yes he needs a lb to defend, there’s a bit more nuance to it.

If you want a lb to come in and be stronger defensively and sacrifice his attacking side then what you are saying really is that you expect Kompany to fundamentally alter his approach, which isn’t what is going to happen and so we need one of these ‘modern’ fullback type.

If you’re saying what we need is someone who retains Maatsens attacking prowess but improves on his defending significantly then I’d be extremely interested to learn who you think fits that profile within our budget?

Nobody will pay 20m for Maatsen by the way. Half that gets him. I suspect agent or the club putting the feelers out.

Also, I’ve been led to believe that our situation with Maatsen is a lot more advanced than what is being written about in the press. Might not yet turn out to be right but very much delivered in a good faith “take it or leave it” crumb of chatter.

So I’d maybe get comfortable with the idea.
I get we don't want to lose his attacking abilities but Roberts provided the same goals and assists but was stronger defensively when asked and he cost a fraction of what Maatsen will cost so there is players available.capable of doing it.

Funny that not saying you but a lot of other posters are arguing that his role isn't a full back and he's deployed to be high and wide yet VK himself quotes him as a full back when speaking about him, how about that guess VK doesn't know what he's talking about

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:56 am

I like Maatsen as much as the next fan but £20m is pie in the sky. Move on unless Chelsea are willing to be realistic. Mind you, this is the club that spend nearly £90m on Mudryk. Their valuations might be a little off - either that or they're desperate to recoup as much as they can for this seasons shambolic performance in the transfer market.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am

bumba wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:19 am

Funny that not saying you but a lot of other posters are arguing that his role isn't a full back and he's deployed to be high and wide yet VK himself quotes him as a full back when speaking about him, how about that guess VK doesn't know what he's talking about
Are you saying that even though VK and Dyche both would refer to them as full backs that they deploy them in the same way in their respective teams ?

I’m just wondering what you find funny or strange here or what point you are making ?
I have never heard any manager or commentator say and today at “high and wide” position Arsenal are playing…..

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:59 am

Nobody will pay 20m for Maatsen.

If there is any truth in this valuation all it does is show that Boehly is as dumb when it comes to selling as he is when buying
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:01 am

Of all out loanees Tella is the one imo we want to be signing.He has great potential and will be a real asset in the Premier league. Origi is not what we need.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:29 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:39 pm
either way we are in need of a left back with a similar skill-set to Maatsen for the coming season.
Agreed, but the speed in which we brought players in last summer that fit the way VK wanted to play gives me massive confidence that he has more than one alternative if Maatsen doesn’t happen.

Maatsen would still be my first choice as I’d expect him to become a full international in the next year and his value will only go up, but I just can’t see us paying £20m (even if that includes add ons)

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:45 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:59 am
Nobody will pay 20m for Maatsen.

If there is any truth in this valuation all it does is show that Boehly is as dumb when it comes to selling as he is when buying
Not at this moment in time but what Chelsea are likely to do is loan him out again & if he has a good season especially in the top flight then they'll get the 20m easily, Chelsea don't tend to sell their better players unless they have to & prefer to loan them out or retain them such as RLC & Gallagher even when they sold guehi they attached a clause Chelsea have first sell on refusal.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:47 am

Doesn't Ian's contract with Chelsea run out next summer? £20m is a ridiculous valuation if that's the case.

trawlen
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by trawlen » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:53 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:45 am
Not at this moment in time but what Chelsea are likely to do is loan him out again & if he has a good season especially in the top flight then they'll get the 20m easily, Chelsea don't tend to sell their better players unless they have to & prefer to loan them out or retain them such as RLC & Gallagher even when they sold guehi they attached a clause Chelsea have first sell on refusal.
He has one year left on his contract so loaning someone out for them to return and leave on a free doesn't make sense unless he signs a new deal.

If he does sign again I can't see why unless he's been guaranteed game time or doesn't care about being a backup.

ArmchairDetective

Post by ArmchairDetective » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:53 am

trawlen wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:53 am
He has one year left on his contract so loaning someone out for them to return and leave on a free doesn't make sense unless he signs a new deal.

If he does sign again I can't see why unless he's been guaranteed game time or doesn't care about being a backup.
This

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:55 am

Yes it has one year to run.

There’s no option to loan again. What it will all depend on is whether he would be willing to sign a new contract and bide his time to break in to the Chelsea team.

The way they go through managers, I don’t think that would be a wise career move really, because even if Poch saw his potential the next manager might not.

I do think this’ll come down to how much Maatsen is willing to stand firm and push s move through, if the asking price is as ridiculous as reported. In which case we’d need to get cover in early so we have a LB to start the season.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:56 am

trawlen wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:53 am

He'll sign a new deal go out on loan again or stay as a backup, he will have ambitions to break into the first team at Chelsea, realistically I think a loan is the best we can hope for.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2311 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 am

Maatsen holds the boss cards here. If he wants a move to Burnley he'll get one. No need for us to bend over.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 am

He's probably fourth in line for that left back role behind Chilwell, Cucurella and Lewis Hall so I'd say he's very unlikely to get much game time with them as things currently stand.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am

Tbf won’t Chelsea get 6-7m even if he leaves on a free”

I can see why they are valuing so high at this point of the window.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 am

ArmchairDetective wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:47 am
Doesn't Ian's contract with Chelsea run out next summer? £20m is a ridiculous valuation if that's the case.
Yep he’s only got a year left which makes their valuation even more ridiculous….unless they have already had discussions with their player about extending his contract ?
Given the number of players they have on their books surely at some point someone will realise that cannot carry on indefinitely ?

They have just rejected Brighton’s bid for Lewis Colwill for £30m as “shameful” ! He’s only 20 years old. He did play 17 games in the PL last season and looked a really good player to me.

The money is crazy but as someone said above Chelsea seem to be a team who pay way over the odds for their players but also want way over the odds when selling……which might explain why they buy loads of players and end up with a lot of their loan players coming back and joining the rest of the 60 players on their books !

ArmchairDetective

Post by ArmchairDetective » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 am

I don't think it's a coincidence that we've been linked with Gomez the same time that Chelsea have shared their asking price. Bit cloak and dagger but there's clearly negotiations going on for Maatsen and it wouldn't be happening if he didn't fancy coming back. My bet is that we'll manage to drive the price down eventually. I think he'll develop into a top player but nobody in their right mind is paying £20m for him at this stage.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:20 am

Suspect that VK will already have his opinions whether we go for Maatsen, and is he worth the asking price (whatever that might be).
We should take re-assurance of course we still have Charlie Taylor. He did not start as LB often , and most of the time he was cumbersome, and not the best of fits to the way the team was playing. However the PL is a different place with some outstanding wide players and even full backs, but I never recall him being "roasted" by any one PL forwards in around 3-4 years that he played in it.There well be some opposition where VK decides CT would be a better fit than an attacking full back like Maatsen or Gomez

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:21 am

Ignore the valuation from a chip paper writer, just throwing numbers about. He is & has been a championship full back, no prem experience & about to enter the last year of his contract, then throw in Chelsea’s financial fair play status with the need to clear the decks even with home grown players with the other talent they have I would suspect 5-8 mil up front, add on’s & even buy back clauses to be a deal in the real world.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:22 am

Now that Everton are safe I notice SD is trying to get Billy Mercer to join as GK coach. Seem to recall that when Dyche joined, Pickford was very clear that he wanted to retain his GK coach at any cost. Could prove sensitive

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:28 am

Stockbrokerbelt wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:21 am
Ignore the valuation from a chip paper writer, just throwing numbers about. He is & has been a championship full back, no prem experience & about to enter the last year of his contract, then throw in Chelsea’s financial fair play status with the need to clear the decks even with home grown players with the other talent they have I would suspect 5-8 mil up front, add on’s & even buy back clauses to be a deal in the real world.
Marc guehi was only at Swansea & he went for 18 million & they never even got promoted, that's the going rate because of his age.

Stproc
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Stproc » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:11 am

agreenwood wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am
We’re all a little odd, but this thread is full of the oddest men in Oddsville.
On a particularly odd day !

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:14 am

Stproc wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:11 am
On a particularly odd day !
If only it was only the odd day
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:15 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am
Tbf won’t Chelsea get 6-7m even if he leaves on a free”

I can see why they are valuing so high at this point of the window.
They would be very lucky to get that. I can only think of Ings for 5m in that ball park and he was on the verge of an England call up going to one of the big clubs in the country. In other words, career going upwards at a huge rate of knots.

If he goes abroad it's 300k.
To a club like ours I would say around 2m compensation for his training.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:35 am

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:20 am
Suspect that VK will already have his opinions whether we go for Maatsen, and is he worth the asking price (whatever that might be).
We should take re-assurance of course we still have Charlie Taylor. He did not start as LB often , and most of the time he was cumbersome, and not the best of fits to the way the team was playing. However the PL is a different place with some outstanding wide players and even full backs, but I never recall him being "roasted" by any one PL forwards in around 3-4 years that he played in it.There well be some opposition where VK decides CT would be a better fit than an attacking full back like Maatsen or Gomez
Didn’t the England RB ( can’t remember his name) absolutely destroy Taylor in the 2nd half in our relegation season playing for Chelsea ?

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:39 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:35 am
Didn’t the England RB ( can’t remember his name) absolutely destroy Taylor in the 2nd half in our relegation season playing for Chelsea ?
Reece James - scored a great goal that day. TBF we got destroyed all over the pitch but think James was excellent that day.

Personally I thought Charlie Taylor really struggled in that relegation season - a lot of our goals and issues came down his side. Of course it was not all his fault and he was often left exposed by deficiencies in our midfield and Dwight struggling too. Taylor also had a few injury issues in that season which made it a stop start season for him - as it was for a few of our regulars.

It was just one of those kind of seasons - just like some years we had a bit of good luck in our relegation season we had some bad luck with injuries and when you have little or no depth in your squad and there’s other issues happening round the club it’s difficult to stay up.

Happened to much bigger clubs than us - as we can see this season.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm

Jack Clarke from Sunderland linked in the Burnley Express... although they do say he's a defender. Watched him a couple of times last season and was impressed. Was touted as one of the best talents in the country when at Leeds, before his move to Spurs, and then on to Sunderland, where he finally appeared to find his feet at a pro level.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:39 pm
Reece James - scored a great goal that day. TBF we got destroyed all over the pitch but think James was excellent that day.

Personally I thought Charlie Taylor really struggled in that relegation season - a lot of our goals and issues came down his side. Of course it was not all his fault and he was often left exposed by deficiencies in our midfield and Dwight struggling too. Taylor also had a few injury issues in that season which made it a stop start season for him - as it was for a few of our regulars.

It was just one of those kind of seasons - just like some years we had a bit of good luck in our relegation season we had some bad luck with injuries and when you have little or no depth in your squad and there’s other issues happening round the club it’s difficult to stay up.

Happened to much bigger clubs than us - as we can see this season.
Thats a good summary Big Vinny-Chelsea as the away side had over 75% possession and mauled us that day, and James was proving exceptional against a lot of teams. THere were not too many one on one roastings Taylor got over the period and that included the likes of Traore of Wolves at his prime, where he was brilliant defensively at Wolves during a 0-0 draw.

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:57 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm
Jack Clarke from Sunderland linked in the Burnley Express... although they do say he's a defender. Watched him a couple of times last season and was impressed. Was touted as one of the best talents in the country when at Leeds, before his move to Spurs, and then on to Sunderland, where he finally appeared to find his feet at a pro level.
I think Mowbray has played a big part in bringing this lad on. His play reminds me a lot of a certain magician that used to play for us.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:07 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:57 pm
I think Mowbray has played a big part in bringing this lad on. His play reminds me a lot of a certain magician that used to play for us.
The Great Soprendo?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:15 am

If he goes abroad it's 300k.
To a club like ours I would say around 2m compensation for his training.
Perhaps we could sign him for our almost acquired Belgian team and then loan him to Burnley!

timscoot
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by timscoot » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:38 pm

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:07 pm

Re. Massengo.

Saw him play for the first time on Saturday. Auxerre had to beat Lens (already certain 2nd place) to stay up.

Yes, you can't judge fairly on one showing but he looked very, very far from being ready for PL. Full of running and willing to take people on but will need several seasons in The Championship to see whether he can be more productive.

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:12 pm

bumba wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:19 am
I get we don't want to lose his attacking abilities but Roberts provided the same goals and assists but was stronger defensively when asked and he cost a fraction of what Maatsen will cost so there is players available.capable of doing it.

Roberts did very well for us last season, but, at 27, he is vastly more experienced than Maasten and has played nearly 50 times for Wales.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:06 pm

According to Football League World, Burnley Stoke and Blackburn are interested in QPR's Lyndon Dykes.
I wouldn't mind him coming to East Lancashire.........as long as it's to Ewood.
I watched him playing for Queen of the South a few times at the beginning of his career, and he didn't particularly stand out even at that level.
No way is he a Premier League player.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:09 pm

Lyndon Dykes 😂😂😂
Not even sure he’s a championship player

boyyanno
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:30 pm

We were linked with him when Dyche was in charge if I remember right. You'd have to assume its just a lazy link based off that.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:46 pm

£15m bid for Maatsen rejected.

Andingle
Been Liked: 273 times
Has Liked: 349 times

Post by Andingle » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:52 pm

Yes Chelsea fans suggesting they should be asking 30/40M 🙄
https://twitter.com/CFCPys/status/16657 ... 944ug&s=08

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:53 pm

Andingle wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:52 pm
Yes Chelsea fans suggesting they should be asking 30/40M 🙄
https://twitter.com/CFCPys/status/16657 ... 944ug&s=08
It’s all their weird young twitter fans who have probably never seen him play aside from a couple of online clips

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:56 pm

If we've offered £15m and they want £20m then there isn't a lot of difference

They have to sell players as well - we could easily incentivise it for them by making them first choice if we sell, big sell on fees or pay more the better we do

Sounds pretty likely this

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2311 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:00 pm

Murger wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:46 pm
£15m bid for Maatsen rejected.
This is the new Burnley. A very realistic offer first up. Don't be surprised if we move on from IM to a 2nd target very quickly.