KV Kortrijk

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Re: KV Kortrijk

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:10 pm

BigGaz wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:51 pm
Whether you put stock in it or not, there is a direct correlation between the amount you can afford in wages and your position in the league.

There is now an established 6 or 7 that will never go down due to the amount they generate or are given. In the past, there was an established middle order, but the money on offer in the PL means that has now for the most part evened everyone else out, so all it takes is one bad season, the wrong owners and/or a few dodgy signings and you are goners.

We are going to get relegated from the Premier League at some point within the next 10 years whether the club is ran ‘old fashioned’ style or in this new manner.

That is the lot of clubs like ours so that point is moot.

It will happen to all of the other smaller clubs that are doing ok at the moment too - Brighton, Brentford, and so on.
The big difference is the ability to manage your way back if you do get relegated. Apologies for re-stating the obvious but last time we had £80 million in the bank and no debt.

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:00 pm
Yes you find them all over the world, especially in South America but they would still have the work permit issues. This is the way around it - it's clearly the reason we are looking at it, I can't see why anyone wouldn't see that or argue against it being a sensible transfer hack and use of money. Let's sign 4 players from South America for 3 million each and stick them in a Belgian club, develop them and them bring them over or lets waste all summer trying to attract ONE PL ready player who would cost 40 million plus wages. Only one of those options makes sense for our club
It's not clear whether we are buying the club never mind the reason for it.

But as I say above, you just say this as though there is nothing to it. Firstly, you have to buy the club, then you have to have a management team that can run it by all accounts Kortijk seems like it is in some disarray and then you have to have sufficient capital to be able to invest in enough players to make it viable and presumably if they are from non-European leagues that would increase the risk.

If you accept the work permit argument then you would have to spend £13 million on a club and then buy the players who would have to spend an indeterminate time in Belgium up to the point where they get a work permit and then they would have to be good enough for the PL.

In the meantime, we can buy young Belgian talent from the top Belgian sides for £3 - £4 million and because of the value differentials between the PL and other European leagues after a few good games you have increased their value exponentially.

It seems perfectly obvious why anyone could not see it as a sensible transfer hack even if they agreed with it.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:40 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:12 pm

But as I say above, you just say this as though there is nothing to it. Firstly, you have to buy the club, then you have to have a management team that can run it by all accounts Kortijk seems like it is in some disarray and then you have to have sufficient capital to be able to invest in enough players to make it viable and presumably if they are from non-European leagues that would increase the risk.

If you accept the work permit argument then you would have to spend £13 million on a club and then buy the players who would have to spend an indeterminate time in Belgium up to the point where they get a work permit and then they would have to be good enough for the PL.

In the meantime, we can buy young Belgian talent from the top Belgian sides for £3 - £4 million and because of the value differentials between the PL and other European leagues after a few good games you have increased their value exponentially.

It seems perfectly obvious why anyone could not see it as a sensible transfer hack even if they agreed with it.
We're not always going to find the ready made talent for £3-4 million, the prices will go up in accordance with our league status.
Those players would cost more if we were shopping this summer.

The longer term plan is obvious, to find younger talent that need to develop and have somewhere for it to happen, because most people don't feel like the PL2 isn't that good.

roperclaret
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by roperclaret » Tue May 30, 2023 5:43 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:10 pm
The big difference is the ability to manage your way back if you do get relegated. Apologies for re-stating the obvious but last time we had £80 million in the bank and no debt.
And a £100 million wage bill and loads of old players.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:58 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:40 pm
We're not always going to find the ready made talent for £3-4 million, the prices will go up in accordance with our league status.
Those players would cost more if we were shopping this summer.

The longer term plan is obvious, to find younger talent that need to develop and have somewhere for it to happen, because most people don't feel like the PL2 isn't that good.
Totally agree, but my point was: is ALK sufficiently capitalised to be able to into place a new acquisition and is now a good time to do it?

That's it really...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:02 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:58 pm
Totally agree, but my point was: is ALK sufficiently capitalised to be able to into place a new acquisition and is now a good time to do it?

That's it really...
They feel like they're in a good place to do so.
They've already tried once with the Italian club and missed out.

They can either sit there fretting or just have a crack at it, if you don't take a risk you never know and they're going to take the risk.

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:54 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:02 pm
They feel like they're in a good place to do so.
They've already tried once with the Italian club and missed out.

They can either sit there fretting or just have a crack at it, if you don't take a risk you never know and they're going to take the risk.
Indeed, but I presume the point of the forum is to have the debate and put the risk on the table so it becomes part of the conversation.

On the upside, (a) the club could have somewhere to blood young players and potentially get new talent, on the downside, (b) ALK have to spend a summer doing due diligence, negotiate with Vincent Tan, find upwards £13 million and then, if successful, manage a club to stability and financial success.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:59 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:54 pm
Indeed, but I presume the point of the forum is to have the debate and put the risk on the table so it becomes part of the conversation.

On the upside, (a) the club could have somewhere to blood young players and potentially get new talent, on the downside, (b) ALK have to spend a summer doing due diligence, negotiate with Vincent Tan, find upwards £13 million and then, if successful, manage a club to stability and financial success.
Debating the risk is fine but some people just seem to fret about the potential negatives all the time :lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 30, 2023 7:02 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:12 pm

ok, name the Belgian talent we can get for 3-4 million for all the positions we need to fill that will be competent in the PL ? You seem to be concentrating on Belgium for some reason ?

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:14 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:59 pm
Debating the risk is fine but some people just seem to fret about the potential negatives all the time :lol:
I know, and it's good you are around to point out to them the error of their ways with a 'lol' emoji ....!

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Tue May 30, 2023 7:18 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:54 pm

There are other benefits too. We could use Kortrijk to sign U23s with expiring contracts from other English clubs for pennies who would potentially cost millions in compensation to sign directly for Burnley.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret ŽižkovClaret Rumpelstiltskin

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:25 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:02 pm
ok, name the Belgian talent we can get for 3-4 million for all the positions we need to fill that will be competent in the PL ? You seem to be concentrating on Belgium for some reason ?
I couldn't name you players from Belgium that would win a Championship campaign with over a 100 points and provide sparkling entertainment last summer and probably said so....but then Zaroury, Benson and Cullen turned up.

Al Dhakil is also Belgian, Ekdal - Swedish and Beyer German so the point is somewhat mute....!

But if ALK have the management capacity and enough money to purchase a club, invest in a PL squad develop academies etc then so be it but my guess is they don't...! And they won't buy Kortijk anyway because of it.

DaveKortrijk
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by DaveKortrijk » Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 pm

I am a Kortrijk fan, we are currently just breaking even on finances. we don't have a big surplus but we do have one of the better teams in belgium, most teams have debts. we have been going downhill under the current owner for the last few years because he is not doing what he has promised us. a few years ago we were the fear for all teams at home. not many teams managed to win in Kortrijk. we usually ran quiet seasons. we've always been good at getting cheap or free players who forgot to put them back on the right stalemate elsewhere. and then sell it at a profit and thus make our finances break even. we are a team with supporters who are close to the players, so a family team. I still hope that the deal comes through, even though I don't know what awaits us, we can only know that after a few years. but I hope we can get better players and run such good seasons and help the players for you. I hope I can help you with this text. my english is not that good so i did this with translate
These 15 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Claretnick 123EasyasBFC elwaclaret DCWat ŽižkovClaret KateR GodIsADeeJay81 LDNBFC87 gawthorpe_view roperclaret St Austell Claret IanMcL Falcon COBBLE

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:39 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 pm
I am a Kortrijk fan, we are currently just breaking even on finances. we don't have a big surplus but we do have one of the better teams in belgium, most teams have debts. we have been going downhill under the current owner for the last few years because he is not doing what he has promised us. a few years ago we were the fear for all teams at home. not many teams managed to win in Kortrijk. we usually ran quiet seasons. we've always been good at getting cheap or free players who forgot to put them back on the right stalemate elsewhere. and then sell it at a profit and thus make our finances break even. we are a team with supporters who are close to the players, so a family team. I still hope that the deal comes through, even though I don't know what awaits us, we can only know that after a few years. but I hope we can get better players and run such good seasons and help the players for you. I hope I can help you with this text. my english is not that good so i did this with translate
Your English is good Dave.... And it's good to hear from you.
These 2 users liked this post: DaveKortrijk LDNBFC87

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue May 30, 2023 8:15 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 pm
Good to hear from you. Hopefully our clubs can soon be working together for our mutual benefits. We certainly seems to have plenty of ambition to keep improving at the top, so hope this could be really good for both.
These 3 users liked this post: DaveKortrijk KateR Bcap1959

DaveKortrijk

Post by DaveKortrijk » Tue May 30, 2023 8:37 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:15 pm
Good to hear from you. Hopefully our clubs can soon be working together for our mutual benefits. We certainly seems to have plenty of ambition to keep improving at the top, so hope this could be really good for both.
I hope so too
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Tue May 30, 2023 9:04 pm

I think this is a positive step in general. Think it makes sense in terms of the recruitment process for us. From a more moral point of view, Kortrijk are important to a load of Belgian fans so if we did take over, I would hope it would be mutually beneficial and they were treated properly. I'm thinking of the behaviour of the Pozzo family. They've been more than a bit shambolic in their running of Watford and they shifted Granada on fairly rapidly. Football teams are a vital part of the community and deserve respect. Not everything in football is about pure business.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue May 30, 2023 9:23 pm

Seems like a nice place to play a few friendlies as well, to go along with many of the other positive that have been laid out in this thread, given the price. I think it's a positive for the future of BFC but obviously has to be incorporated properly and the right people with the same vision as AP put in place.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:41 am

A twitter thread on Leeds and their owners trying to take over Sampdoria. A few warnings of what could happen if our owners use similar methods to secure funding.
https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status ... 1GFAg&s=19

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 am

Totally different situation at Leeds imo. Radrizzani is totally checked out at Leeds and trying to buy a club of a similar standard seemingly out of his own self-interest with little regard for Leeds. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Kortrijk situation (if it's happening) it's clearly designed to be of benefit primarily to Burnley.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:50 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 am
Totally different situation at Leeds imo. Radrizzani is totally checked out at Leeds and trying to buy a club of a similar standard seemingly out of his own self-interest with little regard for Leeds. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Kortrijk situation (if it's happening) it's clearly designed to be of benefit primarily to Burnley.
I would suggest the benefit is primarily aimed at the investment group who were on record stating they wanted to purchase multiple clubs, way before buying us.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:52 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:50 am
I would suggest the benefit is primarily aimed at the investment group who were on record stating they wanted to purchase multiple clubs, way before buying us.
Benefit to Burnley in this case = benefit to the investment group

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:04 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:52 am
Benefit to Burnley in this case = benefit to the investment group
Yes, that's our best hope.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

DaveKortrijk

Post by DaveKortrijk » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:43 pm

do you have more news? here only that it is between burnley and another investment group.
thank you in advance

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:46 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:43 pm
do you have more news? here only that it is between burnley and another investment group.
thank you in advance
Hi, Dave! There doesn't seem to be much news yet. How are the Kortrijk fans feeling about the potential takeover?

DaveKortrijk

Post by DaveKortrijk » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:04 pm

Pickles wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:46 pm
Hi, Dave! There doesn't seem to be much news yet. How are the Kortrijk fans feeling about the potential takeover?
most fans would be happy with burnley. even though we only know after a few years what it means. I hope for a good cooperation that will benefit both of us. but we are especially afraid that our current boss Tan would not consider our interest and only to his liking. I really wouldn't like the Kaminski group, they have no feeling for football. so let's hope for the good here :)

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:36 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:04 pm
most fans would be happy with burnley. even though we only know after a few years what it means. I hope for a good cooperation that will benefit both of us. but we are especially afraid that our current boss Tan would not consider our interest and only to his liking. I really wouldn't like the Kaminski group, they have no feeling for football. so let's hope for the good here :)
With Tan's record here with Cardiff, I think Kortrijk fans are right to have those sorts of concerns. I think the relationship between Burnley and KVK could be a good one. But hey, who knows. Up the Clarets and up de Kerels!
This user liked this post: DaveKortrijk

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:24 pm

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-07 7.23.42 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-07 7.23.42 AM.png (171.74 KiB) Viewed 3272 times

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm

Feels like we’re not giving up on this. Assume any deal will be debt funded but fans will want reassurance the debt isn’t being loaded against BFC.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:48 pm

Father Jack wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm
Feels like we’re not giving up on this. Assume any deal will be debt funded but fans will want reassurance the debt isn’t being loaded against BFC.
Some will no matter what

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:54 pm

Father Jack wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm
I am currently assuming ALK/VSL will pay cash from their own funds

Father Jack

Post by Father Jack » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:05 pm

That was my assumption too. But the precedent has been for ALK to use the clubs funds or assets for loan security so I’m not holding my breath.

Some interesting things from the KVK forum.
They don’t have the best track record for developing young talent:

ARTICLE HLN 31/05

RSC Anderlecht remains the number one in the field of youth training in Belgium. Purple-white achieved the highest rating of any Jupiler Pro League squad. The youth licenses are awarded each year with a certain score. It is given based on the efforts made by the clubs to train youth players (budget, infrastructure and the number of qualified trainers). The flow to the first team and the number of playing minutes of trained youth players at home and abroad is also taken into account.

Anderlecht achieved 458.5 points and is therefore at the very top of the list of Belgian clubs, preceding Club Brugge (454 points) and Racing Genk (414 points). Ghent (393.2 points) and Antwerp (354.66 points) complete the top five. RWDM, FC Dender and Lierse Kempenzonen score the worst. This recognition is a boost for the Anderlecht youth academy. In recent months, more and more young talents have been closing the door on Neerpede behind them.

Full ranking
1 . RSC Anderlecht: 458.50 points
2. Club Brugge: 454.00
3. KRC Genk: 414.65
4. KAA Ghent: 393.20
5. RAFC: 354.66
6. Standard de Liège: 340.50
7. YR KV Mechelen: 290.57
8. OHL: 289.08
9. Charleroi: 283.01
10. Zulte Waregem: 265.50
11. STVV: 258.84
12. Westerlo: 250.88
13. KAS Eupen: 233.81
14. Beerschot: 210.54
15. Cercle Brugge: 187.38
16. KV Ostend: 166.26
17. FC Seraing: 127.53
18. Union: 126.69
19. SK Deinze: 111.13
20. KV Kortrijk: 106.33
21. SK Lommel: 106.18
22. SK Beveren: 82.97
23. RWDM: 53.50
24. FC Dender: 51.92
25. Lierse Kempenzonen: 33.23

Father Jack

Post by Father Jack » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:12 pm

Also sounds like KVK are in disarray due to the mismanagement of Vincent Tan

Updated at: 16:49
Burnley FC, which recently forced the promotion to the Premier League under the leadership of Vincent Kompany, made a takeover bid for KV Kortrijk that is higher than that of the American Kaminski Group. The big question now is: what does Vincent Tan do?

We learned that from a reliable source. It has been remarkably quiet in Kortrijk since general manager Matthias Leterme, chairman Ronny Verhelst and director Freddy Vancraeynest had resigned four weeks ago.

They then did this out of dissatisfaction with the course of Commerce owner Vincent Tan and his right-hand man Ken Choo.

In the months before, Leterme and Verhelst had been looking for a suitable acquirer to guarantee the future of the club at the highest level. Their preference was for a Premier League club. They eventually found them in Burnley. Conversations with chairman Alan Pace had made them feel very good and taught that the acquisition price of 12 to 15 million euros, which Tan has since raised by Tan was also not insurmountable.

But then Tan suddenly got rid of himself with a prospective buyer, who had already made an offer of 15 million euros: the Kaminski Group, an American group with no experience in football. For Leterme, that would have been the straw too much: on the one hand, holding off an interesting party like Burnley FC and then coming up with a party that inspires little confidence and with which he cannot identify himself.

14 days
The day after the club announced Leterme and Verhelst's resignation, Choo's behalf appeared on the club site that their resignation was not due to the current owner's refusal to sell the club to other foreign clubs and that there was never an offer from Burnley.

Father Jack

Post by Father Jack » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:18 pm

Also some Belgian clubs with high losses being called out below:

The need is high in West-Flemish football: Kortrijk, Zulte Waregem, Ostend and Cercle are all looking for takeovers
West-Flemish football is increasingly falling into the doldrums. Two of the four provincial clubs have already failed, they are currently on sale: 'Unless 'Sugar Daddy' continues to raise money, this ends anyway,' sports economist Trudo Dejonghe sees his predictions become reality.

Tomas Taecke 05/11/23, 07:30 Last update: 07:41
In Genk or Liège they will not be sad about it. Their trips to the 'Far West' are almost halved after this season. Since the relegation of KV Oostende and Zulte Waregem, it has no longer been the epicenter of the Jupiler Pro League. Where until recently, including the national brand Club Brugge, five teams played on a handkerchief, the economic laws seem to play their part more and more. Together, provincial clubs KV Kortrijk, Zulte Waregem, Cercle Brugge and KV Oostende have turned a negative figure of around 50 million euros over the past six years. Amounts that, except in Kortrijk, are adjusted year after year by lenders – foreign or not. Without external help, it was long gone for KVO and Cercle. In 2023, all four clubs are in the shop window: in Kortrijk, Bruges and Ostend the owners are looking for acquirers, while the search for external capital was also started in Waregem.

Cercle Brugge is doing well sportingly, but is a heavy cost for AS Monaco. Every year, the French club pumps about 10 to 15 million in green-black.
Cercle Brugge is doing well sportingly, but is a heavy cost for AS Monaco. Every year, the French club pumps about 10 to 15 million in green-black. © Photo News
Sports economist Trudo Dejonghe predicted at the turn of the century that sooner or later this would end catastrophically. Supporters and football romantics never like to hear it, but it's no different. “With endogenous agents, it is certainly not possible to survive. With money from outside you can, as long as 'Sugar Daddy' continues to add money. If you earn 2,000 euros every month and you spend 5,000, it can only last when mom and dad add 3,000 euros every time.”

Above their booth
There is little or no reserves or equity, while owners implement capital increases every year. Zulte Waregem had an operational loss of almost 8.5 million euros in the 2021-2022 financial year, in Ostend it was 5.2 million euros. At Cercle Brugge, AS Monaco has been adjusting around 10 to 15 million euros annually since its acquisition in 2017. 'And that while the return is very limited, even when the results are good,' Dejonghe realizes. “At Cercle, AS Monaco recently implemented a capital increase of 17 million euros. Revenues revolve around 6 million, while spending is 23 million. That can't last. The people of Cercle are always mad at me, but it's what it is. There is no complex of its own and there are debts, while the subscribers drop out. This year that was relatively stable, yet they struggle to have half of the 6,000 or 7,000 of a while ago. I'm afraid they live above their means.”

Much more acute and problematic than with Cercle, where AS Monaco will not leave 'The Association' from today to tomorrow, is the situation in Ostend. “That has always been a fictional story. 'Sugar Daddy' Marc Coucke has ensured success, but he also burned the club. A well has remained that was never filled.” The only one of the four clubs that bears no or negligible losses is KV Kortrijk. “They are constantly counting on the resale of players who were purchased cheaply. Supplemented with a few Belgians. Matthias Leterme (general manager, ed.) did that well. The question is how long that will last.”

Ex-Chamber of Commerce chairman Joseph Allijns: “Kortrijk has been working almost break-even on the basis of that model for years. The other West-Flemish teams have failed to do so. If of course you don't find a player(s) to resell for one or more years, you will quickly be pressed with your nose to the facts. Look, there used to be a balance between capital and labor. Now capital is mainly needed... and there is no such thing. For professional football there is no West-Flemish capital, not even Flemish. If you invest in a company in a shed and machines, then you know that this is for fifteen years. In football you often see the investments go up in smoke.”

No merger
Dejonghe sees the future for the provincial clubs bleak. “Club Brugge will have to fight, but they will remain at the top in the short and medium term. The others are facing very difficult periods. Now they still live by the grace of too weak legislation that offers many social benefits, but that too will change. And there are the tighter Financial Fair Play rules, which from next season require the wage mass to be only 90 percent of revenue. By 2027-2028, that should be 70 percent.”

Allijns, a director in West-Vlaanderen for many years, puts into perspective. “You have to be realistic. Or you tolerate a patron, but then you don't know what will happen to the club. Look at KV Oostende. There was temporary euphoria there. Or you choose to sow to the bag. With your own identity, your own master number and your own club colors. Supporters must understand that you can sometimes fail, although that doesn't have to mean drama either. Scaling up would be a means, but no one is eager for a merger.”

Fans kick around when their club is targeted, but don't think about economic reality. 'Everyone should be well aware that professional football is kept straight by many funds,' Allijns said. “When you see that a top team like Anderlecht has to pump in many millions to find its own level... Even Club Brugge. They will now also experience what it is like when there is one or two seasons less income. Everyone has to get money from the same limited pots to survive, especially in West- Flanders with all those clubs on a handkerchief.”

ZULTE WAREGEM
• main shareholders: Tony Beeuwsaert (60% of the shares)
• acquired in: 2016
• fiscal year 2021-2022: -8.452.298 euros
• five previous financial years: -5.7 million euros

KV OSTEND
• main shareholders: US investment company with Chien Lee and Paul Conway, among others (72.4% of the shares)
• acquired in: 2020
• fiscal year 2021-2022: -5.192.876 euros
• five previous financial years: -9.3 million euros

CERCLE BRUGES
• main shareholders: Dmitry Rybolovlev - AS Monaco (97% of the shares)
• acquired in: 2017
• fiscal year 2021-2022: -1.814,040 euros
• five previous financial years: -15.5 million euros

KV KORTRIJK
• main shareholders: Vincent Tan (100% of the shares)
• acquired in: 2015
• financial year 2021-2022: +262.345 euros
• five previous financial years: -2.33 million euros

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:01 pm

Makes you wonder if this is a reason we have brought in that guy from Genk...Prince (?). Would make sense having somebody of his calibre on board if we are to start using a foreign club to bring on talent

DaveKortrijk

Post by DaveKortrijk » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:28 pm

about youth talent: we do indeed not have good youth talent. with the reason that if we have talent we have already been quickly snatched up by larger clubs with more budget. there is little talent that flows through, also because a few opportunities are given and two are just not good enough to take someone's place.

and on finances as I said before, we always just try to make ends meet by making transfers that pay off. but we are virtually debt free. and we are among the better of the competition because most teams are always in the red. also for large teams.

hopefully this helps a bit
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:29 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:28 pm
about youth talent: we do indeed not have good youth talent. with the reason that if we have talent we have already been quickly snatched up by larger clubs with more budget. there is little talent that flows through, also because a few opportunities are given and two are just not good enough to take someone's place.

and on finances as I said before, we always just try to make ends meet by making transfers that pay off. but we are virtually debt free. and we are among the better of the competition because most teams are always in the red. also for large teams.

hopefully this helps a bit
Cheers Dave! Would be good to have somewhere at a decent level to send the likes of Costelloe, Dodgson etc, maybe even Bastien could skipper them if he wont get a look in here

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:01 pm
Makes you wonder if this is a reason we have brought in that guy from Genk...Prince (?). Would make sense having somebody of his calibre on board if we are to start using a foreign club to bring on talent
Have we actually brought him in? I read the speculation but nothing other than that.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 561 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:33 am

Looks like we aren’t buying the club and the other American has won the race

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:36 am

They become the 6th Belgian club with American owners

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:38 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:33 am
Looks like we aren’t buying the club and the other American has won the race
As happened with Spezia a couple of years ago apparently if this is the case.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:39 am

That’s a shame but maybe for the best given our summer transfer plans!

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:40 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:38 am
As happened with Spezia a couple of years ago apparently if this is the case.
Quite reassuring if we were out-bid on one level, in that we know the value and wont be taken for mugs

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:23 am

It's an interesting one. At one point wasn't Alan Pace linked with buying Spezia for 25m? Obviously a team in the Italian top flight would have a net value of assets way beyond that just in players and would probably be a good source of talent. Not sure that the situation at Kortrijk is the same and the cost is not far off.

Interesting if it's to be a "partner club" we had our British partner clubs but that didn't really go anywhere did it. We seem to struggle to get game time for our u21s even in League Two so it's perhaps not such a bad move if we recruit a better quality of youngster particularly those who haven't had a lot of experience like Gomez Mancini. Not sure that would have gone through now after the changes with Brexit. It also allows for the transfer of assets between the two entities allowing ALK to manage the accounts differently.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:29 am

dibraidio wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:23 am
It's an interesting one. At one point wasn't Alan Pace linked with buying Spezia for 25m? Obviously a team in the Italian top flight would have a net value of assets way beyond that just in players and would probably be a good source of talent. Not sure that the situation at Kortrijk is the same and the cost is not far off.

Interesting if it's to be a "partner club" we had our British partner clubs but that didn't really go anywhere did it. We seem to struggle to get game time for our u21s even in League Two so it's perhaps not such a bad move if we recruit a better quality of youngster particularly those who haven't had a lot of experience like Gomez Mancini. Not sure that would have gone through now after the changes with Brexit. It also allows for the transfer of assets between the two entities allowing ALK to manage the accounts differently.
I think it was key that Kortrijk didn't own their ground, so 15m GBP was already very much the top end. I suspect we have been outbid by someone using heart not head, and so i can't complain. Onwards to the next one, which may be Kortrijk in a year if this doesn't work out.

DaveKortrijk

Post by DaveKortrijk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:46 pm

I hear that it is almost certain that the kaminski group will take over Kortrijk. As a Kortrijk supporter, I don't like this. I would have preferred you. I'm pretty sure Tan chose them himself and didn't want it to be burnley. so no cooperation :(

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:54 pm

DaveKortrijk

Post by DaveKortrijk » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm

it's completely official. we have not been taken over by you, I want to thank you for welcoming us here on the forum. And who knows, maybe there will be another opportunity someday. Big thanks
These 7 users liked this post: Claretnick Duffer_ NewClaret Jakubclaret KateR Father Jack mybloodisclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:44 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm
it's completely official. we have not been taken over by you, I want to thank you for welcoming us here on the forum. And who knows, maybe there will be another opportunity someday. Big thanks
All the very best to you. I hope the takeover works out for you. And you are always welcome here.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:01 pm

DaveKortrijk wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 pm
That’s a shame because it seemed such a good fit to me, and of course the Kortrijk seemed receptive, which is important. All the best for the future with your new owners. Hopefully you’ll come back here from time to time and let us know how it’s going. Good luck.