The influence of Burnley FC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

The influence of Burnley FC

Post by CoolClaret » Mon May 29, 2023 10:33 am

I know it’s not unique to present day Burnley FC - we’ve always punched up well for our weight and influenced the game of Football a hell of a lot - Founding members of the football league, pioneers like Jimmy Hogan, Harry Potts and our total football approach of the 50s/60s etc etc but..

.. looking at next season in the PL, we will have our two past managers managing in the league (Dyche & Howe) as well as numerous past players that have carved out very good careers at the top echelons of the game - Kieron Trippier and now Nick Pope that will be a Champions League goalkeeper, to go along with his England status.

Considering all this and more (feel free to throw your own views in) it is quite remarkable considering the relative size of our club - what we do is rather special isn’t it?

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: It Is What It Is Woonderbah

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Re: The influence of Burnley FC

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 29, 2023 10:38 am

Very special - hard to take in when you actually see the size of the club alongside our achievements
These 4 users liked this post: GaryClaret Spike k90bfc Jellybean

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Mon May 29, 2023 10:47 am

The achievements are remarkable and very special considering the size of the town, not the club. The club's success is a testament to the passion and voracious appetite of the fans.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret thomaspaine

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 29, 2023 10:56 am

Tarks McNeil, Keane at Everton, Pope and Tripps Newcastle, Cornet and Ings at WHU, Hennessy at Forest, can we count Heaton at Man U, Mee at Brentford and voted player of the season for them, Collins at Wolves-any more?

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Mon May 29, 2023 10:58 am

Something that Burnley pioneered thanks to Alan Brown who persuaded Bob Lord to go along with was the purchase of a dedicated training ground (Gawthorpe).
They werent around until then, mid 1950's,and very soon all the "big" clubs followed suit.
There will be some on here who will know more details than I do to fill in the details perhaps.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret scrambledclaret

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon May 29, 2023 11:19 am

Our influence is huge at Everton. Further to the point I picked up a bit of news about the name of the new stadium from a very good source this week. Apparently they want to recognise that the stadium is built on the old Bramley Moore dock but that it’s now been filled in and grasses over. So they are calling it ‘Turfed Moore’.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Pickles
Been Liked: 1343 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Mon May 29, 2023 12:12 pm

The influence of Burnley certainly stretches far and wide. I was in a fish and chip shop in Aylesbury when a bloke walked in wearing a BFC wooly hat. I of course said I was a Claret etc. He looked at me blankly. I pointed at his hat. He said "Oh, this? No idea. I just like the hat."
This user liked this post: IanMcL

scrambledclaret
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by scrambledclaret » Mon May 29, 2023 12:27 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:33 am
I know it’s not unique to present day Burnley FC - we’ve always punched up well for our weight and influenced the game of Football a hell of a lot - Founding members of the football league, pioneers like Jimmy Hogan, Harry Potts and our total football approach of the 50s/60s etc etc but..
I wasn't around in the 60s but I've just had fun telling the Ajax fan I'm stepping out with that we invented totaalvoetbal ;)

The history is pretty interesting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football - thanks CC

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 29, 2023 12:39 pm

Petersa wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:58 am
Something that Burnley pioneered thanks to Alan Brown who persuaded Bob Lord to go along with was the purchase of a dedicated training ground (Gawthorpe).
They werent around until then, mid 1950's,and very soon all the "big" clubs followed suit.
There will be some on here who will know more details than I do to fill in the details perhaps.
I may be wrong but the NCB removed a lot of surface coal and rerouted the river around Gawthorpe in the late 50's and early 60's whether that affected the suitability if the 80acres Burnley FC purchased in 1955 I am not sure but my Dad maintained that rerouting the river helped the training ground. Maybe Royboy will know more.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon May 29, 2023 1:48 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Jim Thomson who signed from Chelsea in 1968 saying Harry Potts took him to Gawthorpe and being "flabbergasted " that a club like Burnley had such facilities.
Apparently, at that time, Chelsea trained at a local cricket club.

So yes, influential in that way too.

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Mon May 29, 2023 2:03 pm

martin_p wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:19 am
Our influence is huge at Everton. Further to the point I picked up a bit of news about the name of the new stadium from a very good source this week. Apparently they want to recognise that the stadium is built on the old Bramley Moore dock but that it’s now been filled in and grasses over. So they are calling it ‘Turfed Moore’.
A bit of a tenuous link, but all the bricks used there are made in Huncoat. Quite a few Clarets work there.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue May 30, 2023 10:25 am

Are you claiming that jimmy hogan influenced BFC or vise versa or both?

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue May 30, 2023 7:03 pm

We will bring a bit more honesty to the League that’s for sure

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:16 pm

Very special indeed......! Quite remarkable really.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 pm

I recently read that Burnley were the team that instigated the D being put outside the penalty area, such that player could have an uninterrupted run when taking a penalty!

It took FIFA, 14 years to instigate the same requirement!

But we all know it's a very special club, don't we?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 31, 2023 6:10 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 pm
I recently read that Burnley were the team that instigated the D being put outside the penalty area, such that player could have an uninterrupted run when taking a penalty!

It took FIFA, 14 years to instigate the same requirement!

But we all know it's a very special club, don't we?
Was added in the late 1930s to ensure players were ten yards away at a penalty

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 pm

Just thinking about the last 12 months I'm struggling to think of a club that has undergone such a huge transformation on and off the pitch.. the financial adjustments coupled with the total change in the style of football and the complications if it had gone wrong.. I almost voted for Huddersfield as the best away performance just because of the wow factor in seeing us play like that.. everyone at this unique club should take a well deserved bow.. we're very lucky
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 31, 2023 6:20 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:25 am
Are you claiming that jimmy hogan influenced BFC or vise versa or both?
vice versa/both any combined.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed May 31, 2023 6:20 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 pm
Just thinking about the last 12 months I'm struggling to think of a club that has undergone such a huge transformation on and off the pitch.. the financial adjustments coupled with the total change in the style of football and the complications if it had gone wrong.. I almost voted for Huddersfield as the best away performance just because of the wow factor in seeing us play like that.. everyone at this unique club should take a well deserved bow.. we're very lucky
I don't think it's ever been done before quite like that

Walkerpool
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Walkerpool » Wed May 31, 2023 6:22 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:56 am
Tarks McNeil, Keane at Everton, Pope and Tripps Newcastle, Cornet and Ings at WHU, Hennessy at Forest, can we count Heaton at Man U, Mee at Brentford and voted player of the season for them, Collins at Wolves-any more?
Wood

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed May 31, 2023 6:56 pm

I used to joke with colleagues in London that wherever I went in the world wearing something Burnley, I’d be approached by an exceedingly attractive woman who would say in an American, or other accent: “Oh wow! You love Burnley Football Club too?” :)

Perhaps with the new owners and their marketing nous and contacts that could someday become a reality for following generations of Burnley fans abroad; but I have so many real experiences of people recognising the team from an item of clothing, and telling me about the grandparent that moved to Perth (Australia), or Durban, or Los Angeles - and the rest of the family are all fans, that the Burnley diaspora (of which I’m one) is obviously fairly large and largely faithful.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed May 31, 2023 7:27 pm

Petersa wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:58 am
Something that Burnley pioneered thanks to Alan Brown who persuaded Bob Lord to go along with was the purchase of a dedicated training ground (Gawthorpe). They weren't around until then, mid 1950's,and very soon all the "big" clubs followed suit, There will be some on here who will know more details than I do to fill in the details perhaps.
Alan Brown signed for Burnley, aged 31, on a free, after playing 57 times for Huddersfield, pre-war. Burnley won promotion back to the top-flight in that first season under Cliff Britton, as well as reaching the FA Cup final. They conceded only 29 goals in a 42 game season, leading to the defence being nick-named " The Iron Curtain " . By contrast, Newcastle scored 95 goals, but conceded 65, and finished 5th ...

After a short spell at Notts County, Brown then went into coaching and in 1954, was appointed Burnley Manager. At least 4 of the senior players were said to have been " unhappy ", as Brown was known to be scrupulously honest ( he'd been a Policeman for 3 years in the 30's ), a firm disciplinarian and wanted his teams to be fitter than their opponents. He instigated the youth scheme & scouting network, and saw the training ground as the next step. Together with the contractors, Brown and his players literally dug Gawthorpe out over a Summer, Brown later revealed that he'd learnt to dig whilst working undercover as a policeman, posing as a workman, whilst observing a suspected Brothel !!

He kept Burnley in the top-half for 3 seasons, whilst signing the bulk of the side that went on to win the 1959-60 League title. In 1957, he could not resist the lure of Sunderland, who'd been mired in an illegal payments scandal, and were struggling at the foot of the table. Although he couldn't keep them up, he cleared the Club of " bad eggs ", restored their reputation, and at the 6th attempt, got them promoted back to the 1st Division. He then went to Sheffield Wednesday, themselves reeling from a match-fixing scandal, as the " new broom ". He stayed 4 years, re-established their good name and took them to the 1966 Cup Final, with a young Sam Ellis in the team ...

During his time at Sunderland he signed Brian Clough, who went on to score 65 goals in 74 matches, before his fateful injury on Boxing Day 1962. Brown's management style impressed Clough, who of course, was Nottingham Forest manager whilst a young Sean Dyche was apprenticed at the Club. It's not hard to see how Brown's influence was still being felt at Burnley over 75 years after he first pulled on a Burnley shirt ... Discipline, honesty, one team mentality, hard to score against and the value of good training facilities ....

" Claret Tony " wrote this excellent appreciation of Alan Brown in 2003, as ever, a great read for those who enjoy Burnley's history ...

http://www.claretsmad.co.uk/news/loadsn ... &id=117827
These 2 users liked this post: Middle-agedClaret KateR