Weghorst

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Re: Weghorst

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:50 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:39 pm
I never watched it but everyone said it was a poor game.
Boring, IMO, the only few minutes of real excitement was when Garnacho (sp?) came on.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:45 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:39 pm
I never watched it but everyone said it was a poor game.
He came on for 10 mins haha

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:47 am

Without rashford it shows how toothless they are upfront, I think they'll have to spend big on trying to bring an elite striker in this summer.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:45 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:54 pm
This is what I can't fathom. His scoring record in Germany borders on exceptional. Did we just get the lanky Timo Werner and German based Strikers just don't cut it in the EPL?
I dunno, there's some Norwegian guy who has come over from Germany and done OK this season.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:56 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:55 am
But the fact remains he is simply not good enough to play in the PL, for United, Burnley or even Luton.
But he is good enough for Holland in the World Cup.

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:07 pm

Man U need to push the boat out and try to bring in Kane, if they get Mount as well then you’ll see a different team.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:08 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:55 pm
How do you know it didn't work between Dyche and Weghorst?
Largely because his strike rate in a major league was spectacular until he had to play Dycheball. I don't know what happened at United because I don't really care but his goals in Holland, Germany and Turkey were there for all to see. And all this gaff about how tough the PL is doesn't wash because the Bundesliga isn't actually Sunday league level is it? The problem I believe was the style of football we were playing under Dyche, not being critical of Dyche but it was hardly a footballers game was it?

I would be delighted if we could get him back playing under our new system and see what he really can do. He is our player so there is no financial risk to trying him out and if he doesn't deliver then he goes, but what if, just suppose, he starts scoring under our current system and gets back to one goal in two, or even one in three. That would be brilliant would it not, although I am sure there would still be those on here having a dig for some other reason, because that is what they do.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:10 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:56 pm
But he is good enough for Holland in the World Cup.
To come on as sub yep !

In all seriousness you just can’t go off the world cup and any international football as a yardstick for whether they are good enough for premier league or not. There’s countless examples of clubs buying a player who has had a great international tournament at over inflated prices for them to stink the place out at club level.
Should we all trying to buy players from the Saudi team ? They were the only team to beat the world champions after all !

The real yardstick is how the player performs in the league for his club or clubs. Wout in the EPL for 2 clubs with a decent amount of games and opportunities has struggled in the vast majority of the games and he has also missed a number of fantastic chances.

Doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be a success in the future or that he’s not a good player but you can only really go off what has happened in the games he has played and then decide whether it’s not for you or whether he can be developed / improved or his form will change for the better.

When you are on a big salary like Wout and you are already 30 years old then that’s quite a big decision / gamble to make that he’s going to get better in this league than he has shown to date.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:10 pm

So he struggled because of Dyche not due to the league itself and to further back your point up you want to ignore his spell at United houseboy ?
This user liked this post: Stproc

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:37 pm

Bottom half of the bundes would only make up the numbers in the champ . WW has clearly got something , but needs a team to be built around him . He’s ridiculously slow for the prem and his touch can be woeful .

BigGaz
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by BigGaz » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:13 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:10 pm
So he struggled because of Dyche not due to the league itself and to further back your point up you want to ignore his spell at United houseboy ?
I’m not Weghorsts greatest fan but I think it’s fair to say he’s not a good fit in United’s system either. They are highly mobile, and are at their best on the counter attack. I think we all can accord that one of his skills isn’t his mobility. He looks to link play quite well when I’ve seen him but is then struggling to make up the yards to get him into the positions where he can finish.

Touched on this on some other discussions but that is definitely also a black mark about him in that to get the best out of him you’re having to play a certain way to accommodate him, possibly to the detriment of other players talents.

That being said, the style we’re playing at the minute may well be conducive and we aren’t relying on a CF banging in 20 so I wouldn’t totally be against him staying and giving him a few games to see how he gets on, but only if we don’t attract a reasonable offer.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:33 pm

Hopefully Everton are daft enough to pay for him
I think he will score as many goals as Calvert Lewin
At least when Calvert Lewin was injured

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
To come on as sub yep !

In all seriousness you just can’t go off the world cup and any international football as a yardstick for whether they are good enough for premier league or not. There’s countless examples of clubs buying a player who has had a great international tournament at over inflated prices for them to stink the place out at club level.
Should we all trying to buy players from the Saudi team ? They were the only team to beat the world champions after all !

The real yardstick is how the player performs in the league for his club or clubs. Wout in the EPL for 2 clubs with a decent amount of games and opportunities has struggled in the vast majority of the games and he has also missed a number of fantastic chances.

Doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be a success in the future or that he’s not a good player but you can only really go off what has happened in the games he has played and then decide whether it’s not for you or whether he can be developed / improved or his form will change for the better.

When you are on a big salary like Wout and you are already 30 years old then that’s quite a big decision / gamble to make that he’s going to get better in this league than he has shown to date.
But you have take my quote about Holland and completely ignored my comment about his phenomenal success in Holland and, more importantly, Germany. 4 years of averaging 0.5 goals per game, the last two in one of the best leagues in the world. There is not a lot between the Bundesliga and the PL despite all the ‘best league in the world’ hyperbole. As I admitted I don’t know quite what happened at United, suffice to say there have been a few great players who for some reason have failed there, but I do genuinely believe that he couldn’t do it in Dyche’s style of football. He left us to go to Turkey, admittedly a step down from the PL, and immediately got back to 1 in 2 pretty much.
I’m not saying he hasn’t got an attitude problem, he may well have, but as he is our player and will cost us nothing if VK can get him on board and get him firing we have nothing to lose, and if he doesn’t then off he goes. Simple. All the fans have to do is trust VK and get behind Weghorst if he plays. The problem he will always have the is the apparent fact that he is seen as some kind of traitor, a Coyle sort of character, and so many on here can’t see further than that.
The one thing I do think is bad about his game is he is cart horse slow but he must have something to have scored all those goals.

trawlen
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by trawlen » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:47 am

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 pm
But you have take my quote about Holland and completely ignored my comment about his phenomenal success in Holland and, more importantly, Germany. 4 years of averaging 0.5 goals per game, the last two in one of the best leagues in the world. There is not a lot between the Bundesliga and the PL despite all the ‘best league in the world’ hyperbole. As I admitted I don’t know quite what happened at United, suffice to say there have been a few great players who for some reason have failed there, but I do genuinely believe that he couldn’t do it in Dyche’s style of football. He left us to go to Turkey, admittedly a step down from the PL, and immediately got back to 1 in 2 pretty much.
I’m not saying he hasn’t got an attitude problem, he may well have, but as he is our player and will cost us nothing if VK can get him on board and get him firing we have nothing to lose, and if he doesn’t then off he goes. Simple. All the fans have to do is trust VK and get behind Weghorst if he plays. The problem he will always have the is the apparent fact that he is seen as some kind of traitor, a Coyle sort of character, and so many on here can’t see further than that.
The one thing I do think is bad about his game is he is cart horse slow but he must have something to have scored all those goals.
I think a lot of us are judging him based on his ability and in the 1 (0.5+0.5) seasons he's had in the premier league his goal return is shocking and he can't even be compared to any of the transfer targets we have been linked with when you look at how they play versus how he plays. If he had an ability to replicate his goal scoring record in the Prem, at the age of 30 you would think he might have managed it at United since they finished 3rd (more quality in the team).

I respect people who try to defend him but you have to see past giving him a chance to get to some of the facts about his performances and think what it would do to us if he was to play the way he has.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:14 am

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 pm
I’m not ignoring anything.

I’m saying :

1) the World Cup can often give a false impression as to how a player will perform at club level

2) it is a big risk and a lot of money based on his current salary for any premier league club to buy Weghorst given how he has played in this league so far.

Not really sure there’s much controversy with those 2 points and of course if you think he is good enough and worth the money then you are entitled to that view.

Personally I think it’s too big a risk and would rather use that money elsewhere and spread the risk across a couple of players at least….and younger, more mobile and more room for growth / development type players.

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:14 am

He's a player with an over inflated judgement of his own "abilities" , never mind his attitude last time he was here , he made known his opinion of us last season when he joined Utd .
The sooner we get shut the better

Jamesy
Been Liked: 780 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:34 am

Breaking News!

A player who scored two goals in the World Cup and who featured in the majority of Man United’s matches and an FA Cup Final, is Pony.
According to the experts on Up The Clarets. Laughable.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:49 am

Didn't see Pony on the Man U team sheet, there again I only take an interest in Burnley.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:56 am

Am I the only one that thinks, up to now, we haven't done too badly. We got rid of his wages for a season and also made money by loaning him out. Besiktas paid a loan fee then, from what was said, Man Utd paid them to release him and also paid us to loan him. If we don't get as much as we paid for him we might still come out on top with the loan fees included.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:07 am

Commy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:56 am
Am I the only one that thinks, up to now, we haven't done too badly. We got rid of his wages for a season and also made money by loaning him out. Besiktas paid a loan fee then, from what was said, Man Utd paid them to release him and also paid us to loan him. If we don't get as much as we paid for him we might still come out on top with the loan fees included.
In the circumstances we’ve done remarkably well so far, but he still presents a problem what do with him & where is he going to go, if the Everton interest isn’t for real.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 am

Yesterday’s news about the Saudi PIF may give us a solution for Wout. Sounds like Messi is going over there so Wout can be cast as pantomime villain again after upsetting Messi at the World Cup. Win win?

Taken from the Athletic today:

“But it is over-simplistic to cast the Saudi Pro League as having the omnipotent ability to outbid European teams for players. The advantages go both ways.

Clubs across Europe can now look at the Saudi Pro League and its vast resources as a financial fair play (FFP) dumping ground; a welcoming home for players on wages that western clubs do not want to match, or no longer want to pay, so they can comply with football’s financial regulations.”

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:50 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:14 am
I’m not ignoring anything.

I’m saying :

1) the World Cup can often give a false impression as to how a player will perform at club level

2) it is a big risk and a lot of money based on his current salary for any premier league club to buy Weghorst given how he has played in this league so far.

Not really sure there’s much controversy with those 2 points and of course if you think he is good enough and worth the money then you are entitled to that view.

Personally I think it’s too big a risk and would rather use that money elsewhere and spread the risk across a couple of players at least….and younger, more mobile and more room for growth / development type players.
As you say it’s each to his own opinion. My only fear is that if VK decides he’s worth a punt then there could be a number of fans (and I’m not including you) who will go to games ready to get on his back the first time he trips over the ball. There is a bitterness in a section of our support that seems unable to forget and which holds onto grudges like a crucifix. My thoughts are if VK decided to play him then we have to trust his judgement as he has done little or nothing wrong since he came. If he lets him go then so be it.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:47 am

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:50 am
As you say it’s each to his own opinion. My only fear is that if VK decides he’s worth a punt then there could be a number of fans (and I’m not including you) who will go to games ready to get on his back the first time he trips over the ball. There is a bitterness in a section of our support that seems unable to forget and which holds onto grudges like a crucifix. My thoughts are if VK decided to play him then we have to trust his judgement as he has done little or nothing wrong since he came. If he lets him go then so be it.
Yep possibly so.
We have always had an element of our fans who like to target one of our team. Most clubs probably do.
We had someone next to us for a couple of years who thought Danny Ings was rubbish and before that another guy used to get on the back of Robbie Blake every game !! There was a fair number of fans who used to dislike David Jones and had no clue whatsoever how key he was to the way we played in that first Dyche team.

As it happens with Weghorst I think there is little chance we will ever see him back in a Burnley shirt. Since he left he has not shown one bit of a desire to ever return to the club and has made it clear he believes he is better than us. He’s made it clear with his mouth rather than his feet though !!

My guess is VK just wants it resolved quickly - he’s got enough on his plate trying to get new players in as I don’t think for one minute he thinks we are good enough to compete at the level of his ambition in the PL.
This user liked this post: LDNBFC87

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 am

Given all this furore you can see why footballers normally give bland interviews full of platitudes.

Weghorst has pretty much done the same as Pope and Cornet but because he was honest about it rather than mouth the right words and still leave it is decided he has a bad attitude, wasn't trying (which clearly isn't the case if you actually watch him), is disruptive, etc.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

trawlen

Post by trawlen » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 am
Given all this furore you can see why footballers normally give bland interviews full of platitudes.

Weghorst has pretty much done the same as Pope and Cornet but because he was honest about it rather than mouth the right words and still leave it is decided he has a bad attitude, wasn't trying (which clearly isn't the case if you actually watch him), is disruptive, etc.
Cornet had a release clause of 17.5m which West Ham triggered so it wasn't really his doing.
Pope I don't blame him, he was and is still one of the top goalies of the PL.

Neither of them talked about a move away publicly from what I saw.

Wout hasn't helped himself by alluding to the fact that he will discuss his future with United and never once mentioned he is under contract at Burnley (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... r-26872700) and also mentioned if he did sign he would want game time assurances. Meaning he would likely want to start most games here.

Contrast to players like Tella who actually mention they have a parent club and will return there.
This user liked this post: LDNBFC87

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:21 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:34 am
Breaking News!

A player who scored two goals in the World Cup and who featured in the majority of Man United’s matches and an FA Cup Final, is Pony.
According to the experts on Up The Clarets. Laughable.
If we are talking about any of our strikers being pony it should be Foster.

I’d much rather have WW in the side myself.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:34 pm

And no mention of the two very good chances he blew in his first game under Dyche against Liverpool. He has strengths but he's not a top striker.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:56 pm

Not because of Dyche but because of the style of play…..possibly. And I didn’t ‘ignore’ his spell at United I said I didn’t know what had gone on there as to his failure, I don’t watch United unless they are playing us. But instead of people bigging up his failure there or with us maybe they or you should look at the majority of his career. It has been phenomenal prior to us…by anyone standards. Is he slow? Absolutely. Does he have an attitude problem? Possibly. Does he want to play for us? Who knows. Can he score goals? Look at his record in Germany. Oh, I’m sorry though, the Bundesliga can’t hold a candle to the self styled ‘best league in the world’ can it? Maybe anyone who thinks that should ask the odd German fan.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:56 pm
Not because of Dyche but because of the style of play…..possibly. And I didn’t ‘ignore’ his spell at United I said I didn’t know what had gone on there as to his failure, I don’t watch United unless they are playing us. But instead of people bigging up his failure there or with us maybe they or you should look at the majority of his career. It has been phenomenal prior to us…by anyone standards. Is he slow? Absolutely. Does he have an attitude problem? Possibly. Does he want to play for us? Who knows. Can he score goals? Look at his record in Germany. Oh, I’m sorry though, the Bundesliga can’t hold a candle to the self styled ‘best league in the world’ can it? Maybe anyone who thinks that should ask the odd German fan.

Timo Werner

19 goals in 37 Germany
34 goals in 45 Germany
12 goals in 52 England
11 goals in 37 England

Let's hope we don't judge this guy on his record in Germany and spunk a load of cash on him

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:26 pm

trawlen wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 am
Cornet had a release clause of 17.5m which West Ham triggered so it wasn't really his doing.
Pope I don't blame him, he was and is still one of the top goalies of the PL.

Neither of them talked about a move away publicly from what I saw.

Wout hasn't helped himself by alluding to the fact that he will discuss his future with United and never once mentioned he is under contract at Burnley (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... r-26872700) and also mentioned if he did sign he would want game time assurances. Meaning he would likely want to start most games here.

Contrast to players like Tella who actually mention they have a parent club and will return there.
Cornet still decided to leave (which I think we all expected), he just wasn't public/honest (take your pick) about it.

I find it hard to criticise him for saying that he needed to play somewhere that wasn't in the Championship to keep his international place, leaving, keeping his international place and playing (and scoring) in the world cup.

Tarkowski said something similar but people seem fine with that.

Personally I don't really care what they're saying in interviews and find the very occasional piece of honesty refreshing.

equinox
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by equinox » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:00 pm

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 pm
Timo Werner

19 goals in 37 Germany
34 goals in 45 Germany
12 goals in 52 England
11 goals in 37 England

Let's hope we don't judge this guy on his record in Germany and spunk a load of cash on him
I'd be delighted, over the rainbow 🌈 if we got 23 in 89 from Foster.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:07 pm

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 pm
Timo Werner

19 goals in 37 Germany
34 goals in 45 Germany
12 goals in 52 England
11 goals in 37 England

23 in 89 is not a bad return actually. It’s slightly better than one in four which is about what Wood was getting when we were raving about him. A ten goal per season striker in the PL is not too shabby.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:09 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:07 pm
23 in 89 is not a bad return actually. It’s slightly better than one in four which is about what Wood was getting when we were raving about him. A ten goal per season striker in the PL is not too shabby.
Thank goodness someone else thinks that 49 in 144 is 1 in 4 - I thought it was just me.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:18 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:09 pm
Thank goodness someone else thinks that 49 in 144 is 1 in 4 - I thought it was just me.
Was Wood one in three then. I stand corrected. I didn’t realise he played that many games for us.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:09 am

Weghorst technically is one of the best players we’ve had in a long while, he was excellent on the half way line linking the play, wriggled out of tackles well for a big lump. Ran his absolute knackers off pressing from the front too.

The problem was he was dropping too deep to link play and often too selfless, he’d have been way more effective in front of goal if he ran around less and just stood in the box.

I do think though that dropping deep and press from the front really suits VK’s system. Ten Haag often used him as a number 10 which is kinda his game, I don’t see him as a regular scorer in this country though

2 goals and 3 assists in 20 PL apps (probably closer to 15 actual games given he was off the benched quite often) 1 goal involvement per 3.5 games is nowhere near as bad as some are making out, he was new to the country and in a rotten side. We’d all have expected more goals but his game was considerably more than just goals, we just didn’t have anyone else to pick up the slack.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:49 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 am

I would suggest Connor Robert's reaction to him speaks volumes about how he was around the group, his reaction away at Watford wasn't the greatest either. I would think that Weghorst position would be pretty untenable with us now, comes back in and doesn't score or throws a strop and the fans will be on his back - maybe not his fault but that's what will happen.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:03 am

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:07 pm
1 in 4 isn't bad for a striker with a 50m fee ?

Glad we have set some parameters going forward when judging others

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:42 am

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:18 pm
Was Wood one in three then. I stand corrected. I didn’t realise he played that many games for us.
If he hadn't played that many games for his his goals per game ratio would be even higher.

trawlen

Post by trawlen » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:46 am

what_no_pies wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:42 am
If he hadn't played that many games for his his goals per game ratio would be even higher.
:lol:

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am

I find it strange that a person who cried on a football pitch at the relegation last season has not even publicly congratulated the club he’s contracted to play for on promotion.

The guys a charlatan

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:52 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:49 am
I would suggest Connor Robert's reaction to him speaks volumes about how he was around the group, his reaction away at Watford wasn't the greatest either. I would think that Weghorst position would be pretty untenable with us now, comes back in and doesn't score or throws a strop and the fans will be on his back - maybe not his fault but that's what will happen.
Exactly yeah, VK has instilled a whole new vibe and strong group mentality. Roberts is an important part of that.

Let's hope the club get a nice transfer fee we can use on another striker.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:56 am

Timo Werner - wow !
He played in a Chelsea team that made so many chances.
It became a weekly feature on MoTD to show the sitters and open nets he missed.
£50m for someone with a slightly better record in the PL than Ashley Barnes (who cost us half a million)

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:58 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:56 am
Timo Werner - wow !
He played in a Chelsea team that made so many chances.
It became a weekly feature on MoTD to show the sitters and open nets he missed.
£50m for someone with a slightly better record in the PL than Ashley Barnes (who cost us half a million)
Werner's record isn't bad...... apparently :D

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am

blatherwickstattoos wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am
I find it strange that a person who cried on a football pitch at the relegation last season has not even publicly congratulated the club he’s contracted to play for on promotion.

The guys a charlatan
YES AGREED-to me that says a lot about VW. I also think that for a professional like Roberts to have that spat with him following the Wales Netherland game, says he would have few of our team from 2022 wanting him back

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:49 am
Call me cynical but don't you think there's a chance that Weghorst scoring an injury time winner against Wales (after a cross that had come in from Roberts' side) may have been part of the reason that Roberts reacted as he did?

eastcoastclaret
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by eastcoastclaret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:49 am

aggi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am
Call me cynical but don't you think there's a chance that Weghorst scoring an injury time winner against Wales (after a cross that had come in from Roberts' side) may have been part of the reason that Roberts reacted as he did?
Many fans formed an opnion based on that moment alone, without looking at it in context.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:53 am

Romano saying Everton and others keen with the price tag being 10m

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:02 am

I think Weghorst is a decent player and United looked more dangerous when he came on against City because he can do that Harland thing of standing in the number 10 position and winning ball when a team needs an out. As KRBFC says he's also quite good at sitting deep and taking a pass and then moving it to United's runners like Rashford.

I suspect his big issue is he isn't quick enough in thought and movement to score goals in the PL.

Wood has an unbelievable goal record in the PL as good as some of the star names. I suspect his problem like JBG, Barnes and Rodriguez is that once you start hitting the 30s your body loses the elasticity and sharpness required for the PL albeit clearly you can do it in the Championship where it is more physical but less quick.

In terms of VK, I think he'll need to assess his squad and see what he has at the end of the summer. Unless I've missed something, I think 7 or 8 key players from this season won't be available or good enough for the PL - some for the reasons above.

Weghorst came from Germany with a bit of a reputation and he has lived up to it but nonetheless he has made an impact at United just not scored enough goals.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:48 am

what_no_pies wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:42 am
Yes it would but I didn’t realise he’d scored that many either. Nice attempt at sarcasm though but back to the drawing board, try harder next time.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:04 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am
not likely imho and doesn't explain Watford. Either way (and it doesn't matter) I think he's done with us