Flawless Tv

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Re: Flawless Tv

Post by MancunianClaret » Wed May 31, 2023 1:05 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:52 pm
Another point for consideration, while Spotify may have been that first single steaming platform to kick this all off, there are now others - Apple and Amazon have got on board as well. Maybe there are others.

Does the fact there are competing services selling the same product act as the mechanics for keeping it affordable?

And it’s the exclusivity around football broadcasting that allows such inflated charges?

From a consumer POV it feels like there needs to be a massive overhaul, but where it differs is that in the case of music, the artists were also getting stiffed (they still do, but they at least get something). Now, the way the tv deals work the clubs get theirs and the broadcasters get theirs. Where’s the incentive for the industry to change a system that works for them?
All extremely valid points. I think what I learned today is that this issue is actually much more complex than I originally considered.

As you rightly point out again, the exclusivity/monopolisation of the product is an extremely important factor. Perhaps centralisation as I suggested isn't the answer at all. Do club(s) need to become more like artists/labels, owning their own product and choosing the distribution platform(s)? Obviously the PL would never agree to that voluntarily...

I need to learn more about the NFL streaming model.
This user liked this post: RicardoMontalban

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed May 31, 2023 1:15 pm

I pay for IPTV, alongside SKY and Amazon. BT (or whatever it’s going to be called) may be a consideration as well, next season.

The IPTV is solely for 3PM games that I’m not at or able to watch with the services I pay for. On a very rare occasion, I will watch the odd Champions League game via IPTV.

I’m not sure what service people are using, who think the quality difference between IPTV and SKY etc. is indistinguishable.

I have a decent broadband speed and have used a couple of providers, but still get buffering occasionally. The game is generally a minute or more behind (not great when goal updates come through before you’re seeing it) and the picture quality is nowhere near HD never mind UHD.

Given a choice, I’d happily pay for a pass just to be able to watch Burnley games that I’m not going to. I’d then bin off the IPTV altogether and either miss, or go to the pub for, any games on a service that I don’t subscribe to.

I get the 3PM blackout, or I did when it was put in place. These days, the world has moved on and it’s probably time to review that rule, as long as it’s done fairly and not another way for the big boys to earn more than everyone else.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Wed May 31, 2023 1:18 pm

Create a Netflix-type subscription service for games, and then there would be no need to stream games. Atm, we just get shafted.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 288 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed May 31, 2023 1:35 pm

MancunianClaret wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:05 pm
All extremely valid points. I think what I learned today is that this issue is actually much more complex than I originally considered.

As you rightly point out again, the exclusivity/monopolisation of the product is an extremely important factor. Perhaps centralisation as I suggested isn't the answer at all. Do club(s) need to become more like artists/labels, owning their own product and choosing the distribution platform(s)? Obviously the PL would never agree to that voluntarily...

My brother lives in the US and is a St Louis Blues fan. I think at times he’s had season tickets that allow him to watch all Blues matches on tv (he doesn’t live in St Louis).

I suppose where this doesn’t translate so well is that in American sports the demand is reasonably fixed. There’s seldom more than a couple of teams per state, let alone city, and there’s not the ebb and flow of demand that comes with relegation. Clubs and broadcasters can be fairly sure of the demand. Sure, there will variation in just how much support a team has, but it’s absorbed within this massive population that commercially will probably mitigate that. It’s odd that there can be a system that is one sense alpha capitalism ($$$$), and also as egalitarian (the draft) as US sports.

Here it’s much more fluid and competitive. The smaller population, the proximity and overlap of catchment areas, the sheer number of clubs in the pyramid, suggest that moving to a system where the clubs can sell their product individually turn the whole thing into feeding frenzy where it’s the big boys that gobble up everything and the small clubs get left behind.

I have no idea what the answer is btw. It’s difficult to see a scenario where it changes in way that benefits us as fans and, perhaps selfishly, protects a smaller club like us.
This user liked this post: MancunianClaret

PhiladelphiaChris
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by PhiladelphiaChris » Wed May 31, 2023 4:29 pm

Premier league is way over priced in the UK. I get every match plus loads more European games and other sports and tv shows with Peacock tv. All for $4.99 a month.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:38 pm

MancunianClaret wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:08 pm
Good point. Just had a look and the average monthly income in India is £145/mo. So this would account for about 5% of monthly income.

Versus median income in the UK £2833 per month. Say it would cost around £150 per month for all sports subscriptions (which still wouldn't get you 3PM kick offs). Also about 5% per month.

So, it's comparable as you rightly theorized! Still, the costs of production of the content don't change dependent on where it's broadcast so I'm not convinced "as a percent of income" would be the best measure of value.
For comparison, to top up my TV subscription for every PL game in Singapore where the median income is £3000 , it's £15 or for a standalone subscription to view on any device £24 including access to 1x UHD channel

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:56 pm

MancunianClaret wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:05 pm

It's quite straightforward. I've paid for the last few years. I know the games are available to stream, however I (and probably quite a few others) are happy to pay if its reasonable.

It's approx. £140 for the year and you get to watch any game you like, or split games. You can also watch them back at any point (in case they are on at silly o'clock). You get the choice of 5-10 min highlights, the full 40 min game, or full 3 hours that include stats, adverts and breaks. Aside from the games, you've an archive of games plus 24/7 live channels like the equivalent of sky sports but for NFL, and documentaries, shows etc.

Jazz2013
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Jazz2013 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:51 pm

I have paid x amount in the last few seasons ,on a stick not missed a beat ,cancelled sky years ago, but the funny thing is, I get my Internet from sky ,? F×@k um

And BRITISH GAS play the system

steve_f
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by steve_f » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:14 pm

Has anyone used fubo canada streaming service in the UK using a VPN for all premier league games ? Was thinking of signing up as its only $9.99/month