Blast from the past. (Passion) Were you there?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Blast from the past. (Passion) Were you there?

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:52 am

RE POST WITH SUN NEWSPAPER ARTICLE MUST READ FOR BFC FANS- Thanks to Gary Jenkins for this

Burnley Roar Out Warning to the Top Dogs

by John Sadler

Jimmy Mullen is due in court this morning to answer a drink-drive allegation. On Saturday, he watched his goalkeeper inexplicably drop the ball to present Derby with a decisive second goal that swept his team out of the F.A. Cup.

No, you couldn't claim that these have been the happiest few days in the life of the manager of fourth division Burnley. And yet Mullen has found himself at the centre of a remarkable phenomenon, perhaps unique even in the grand history of football's most romantic competition. I don't care what kind of response former Burnley midfield man Brian Flynn received as manager of Wrexham on their latest day of glory at West Ham. It wouldn't have been a patch on the acclaim given to the boss of the club where he began. I want to tell you about the most heartening, stimulating and optimistic football occasion I have experienced for many, many years.

Derby v Burnley was a match in a time warp. A third round replay played on fourth round day. But the real blast from the past came from far more distant days, when fans came only to back their beloved team, not fight their opposite numbers. When fences weren't needed and policemen merely smiled in approval. Burnley took 4,000 Lancashire lads and lasses to the Midlands. And they were sensational.

Soon after goalkeeper Chris Pearce dropped his dreadful clanger they set up one of the loudest, sustained dins I've ever heard on a football ground anywhere in the world. "Jimmy Mullen's claret-and-blue-army" was the chant from the terraces and double-decker stand that housed Burnley's admiration society.

Over and over they chanted it. Clapping and stamping their feet and drumming the advertising boards in perfect rhythm. On and on for 20 minutes until the end of the match and another 15 minutes afterwards, until I urged the club's chairman to get his manager and players to leave their dressing room, return to the pitch and wave their appreciation. The bedlam was almost deafening. It was a colourful and spectacular sight.

But it is something far more important than that. I wanted others to see and hear it. Big men, important men who are making decisions that could alienate the game from ordinary working folk. I wanted Graham Kelly to be there to prove to him that those who talk of Super Leagues should not underestimate the passion of the so-called little clubs. I wanted Sir John Quinton to be there so that the bank chairman chosen to preside over the elite could learn something of life at the other end of the scale. I wanted officials of Manchester United and Arsenal, Liverpool and the other fat cats behind the move to change the face of football to hear the voices of the people.

The bedlam of Burnley was not simply a cry of support for another of the F.A. Cup's beaten teams. It was a roar of defiance. "Traditions," said Arthur Cox, Derby's manager whose time in north east football taught him all there is to know about fanaticism. "You heard the traditions of Burnley's past out there today. A major club of 30 years ago, don't forget." Those who kept up that incessant, thunderous clatter were real fans. Genuine football people with a deep love of their club, no matter the result of a single game. They had nothing to do with the executive box brigade and corporate hospitality merchants to whom football is pandering in the modern era. They stood in the rain, sat in the cold and screamed their allegiance to a game which, at the highest level, continues to turn it's back.

English football has no right to dismiss or take lightly the support of people like those who raised their voices so valiantly at the Baseball Ground. This, remember, was the support of a team who lost to a deflected free kick and a goal handed on a plate by a goalkeeper who couldn't catch the ball. The frost that caused so many postponements had the managers and scouts flocking to Derby. Brian Clough, David Pleat, Neil Warnock, Ian Branfoot together with scouts from Villa, QPR, Norwich, Portsmouth, Leicester, West Ham, Leeds, Manchester United, Oldham, Coventry, Cambridge, Blackburn to name but a few. Some will report back about individual players or one side or the other. But all will first tell the story of those incredible Burnley supporters.

So at last the message will be cast far and wide. The cry from the Fourth Division will reach high places. "In all my 23 years in the game I've never witnessed anything like that," Jimmy Mullen gasped. "It left my players feeling they were prepared to die for those people."

It left Arthur Cox thinking out loud: "Burnley have had a reminder of how things could be. It was a demonstration of potential. They now have to try and make sure they get promotion and don't let those people down."

And that is a sobering thought.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Re: Blast from the past. (Passion) Were you there?

Post by Sozturf7 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:09 am

Didn't get to this match, however I remember this report, probably the most moving report I've ever read and that's saying something.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 780 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by Jamesy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am

One of my proudest days as a claret. Was there for the first game and the fog, but this was exceptional. That rickety old stand shook from the chanting. It made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, even more than listening to a Northern Soul banger.
We were all together as one that day. UTC

ALP
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 387 times

Post by ALP » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:26 am

My throat wasn't right for weeks after that, but it was one epic day to be a Claret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:45 am

Yep, was there and right behind the nets. Pretty much the same seat I'd been in when the first replay was abandoned because of the fog after 75 minutes and it took about 9 hours to drive home!!!

Walkerpool
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Walkerpool » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:56 am

I'm tingling now just thinking about the atmosphere that night it was something very special UTC.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:05 am

Yep, I was there!

BurnleyMickSouth
Been Liked: 281 times

Post by BurnleyMickSouth » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:34 am

Yes i was there as well, reading that again also sent a tingle down my spine, the call of " Jimmy Mullens Claret n Blue Army" from that stand was immense, we were a true army that night, and it went on and on after the match for a good 20 to 30 mins, never witnessed anything like that before or after, goodness knows what we would have been like had we won, i have the upmost respect for Jimmy Mullen, he in a way got us to where we are today when he took over from Frank, my own opinion is that one day Jimmy should come to the Turf and recieve and thanks from the fans for what he did for us all those years ago.....JIMMY MULLENS CLARET N BLUE ARMY, sounds good dosent it.....over to you.... :o :o :o .

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1133 times
Has Liked: 1604 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:31 pm

Proper fans were there. FACT

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:44 pm

Remember a similar chant at Fulham lasting the entire second half under Owen Coyle. Fulham scored twice but the chant just continued

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:51 pm

I was in attendance

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:56 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:31 pm
I was at the abandoned game but unfortunately missed the replay, so I am not a proper fan....

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:01 pm

Sozturf7 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:09 am
Didn't get to this match, however I remember this report, probably the most moving report I've ever read and that's saying something.
You may need to read Sadlers report of the Orient game… something like “we came to bury a legend and stayed to sing their praises.” Sadler was a cut above as a sports journalist.

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:08 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:56 pm
I was at the abandoned game but unfortunately missed the replay, so I am not a proper fan....
A Saturday as well....

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:08 pm

Yep was there for both games.
Fantastic atmosphere both times in the away ends.
Got home at some ridiculous time in the morning after the abandoned game. My mate was driving and you could hardly see 10 yards in front of you with the fog.

Don’t know why but we have had some really memorable games against Derby…..one particular home game was very enjoyable with a certain Mr Shackell playing for Derby and think it was Ashley Barnes up in the gantry with the commentator trying his best to stop himself laughing !!

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:08 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
You weren’t….

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Was not the worst away day I’ve ever had. An atmosphere I’ll never forget and we got shunted as we left the Baseball ground so after a couple of weeks pain I got paid a grand for attending. The player I always feared around that time was Tin Man we never could handle him. I couldn’t stop smiling when we signed him.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:20 pm

I was there, my hands were sore for days , amazing support

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:20 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:13 pm
Was not the worst away day I’ve ever had. An atmosphere I’ll never forget and we got shunted as we left the Baseball ground so after a couple of weeks pain I got paid a grand for attending. The player I always feared around that time was Tin Man we never could handle him. I couldn’t stop smiling when we signed him.
He was brilliant for Derby. Like you said he was a player I always wanted to see in a burnley shirt.
Loved him and he was such a gifted footballer and an entertainer too.

Ted and Sir David in the same team - happy days and 2 of my favourite players
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:24 pm

There for both games. Always a little disappointed there isn’t more television footage of the chanting!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:27 pm

That article from John Sadler can be found at this link

https://www.uptheclarets.com/derby-coun ... of-the-cup

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:29 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Are you sure?

I ask because I was there too, and there are many here who would suggest I am not a proper fan
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

Beansontoast
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Beansontoast » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:49 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:24 pm
There for both games. Always a little disappointed there isn’t more television footage of the chanting!
Link here to the full match, chanting from about 1 hour 13 mins in. Great day out!
https://youtu.be/45fiqKXfBmU
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm

I wasn't there but I do remember something similar away at Coventry's old ground in an FA Cup tie when Stan was manager.

A loud and sustained chanting of
'Stan Ter-nents claret n blue army" ringing out for what seemed like ages.

Even some of the Coventry fans started joining in and jigging to the rhythm :-D

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:58 pm

I was at both venues and I thought at Fulham we were turning a corner and our fans would will us on to greater things.So it was proved.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:01 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm
I wasn't there but I do remember something similar away at Coventry's old ground in an FA Cup tie when Stan was manager.

A loud and sustained chanting of
'Stan Ter-nents claret n blue army" ringing out for what seemed like ages.

Even some of the Coventry fans started joining in and jigging to the rhythm :-D
Don’t mean to be patronising but Derby was really one on its own, I’ve never experienced anything other than a pale imitation of the electricity running through the Baseball ground.

I still remember the Derby fans staying back to applaud our support.

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 222 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by Cubanforever » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:55 pm

Went to all 3 games and it was every bit as good as it reads....hairs standing on end thinking about it

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:58 pm

Fabulous night, still gives me goosebumps. Ah the bliss of singing at the correct tempo

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:14 pm

I was stood next to Dave Burnley who had his usual tatty sheepskin on and who didnt stop clapping and singing all the game.

A great experience.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:32 pm

Fao ChesterPerry
You watched us in Div4 .We met you and your mate at several stellar venues like Plainmoor and Devon StJames Park.You are indeed a proper fan.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:20 pm

I was there for both games, on the Saturday, I smuggled my 6 year old lad in in the inner pocket of my Barbour jacket, he old boy at the turnstile just grinned and let us through. I remember our designated driver deciding to head west across Country to the M6, rather than go to Junction 25 of the M1 on the grounds he'd been in the Sea Cadets, and remembered that Fog is more likely the further East you travel ... to be fair to him, there was no fog once we got past Stoke ..

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:25 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:08 pm
You weren’t….
Weren't many I missed pre married life & kids and this certainly wasn't one of them

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:09 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am
One of my proudest days as a claret. Was there for the first game and the fog, but this was exceptional. That rickety old stand shook from the chanting. It made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, even more than listening to a Northern Soul banger.
We were all together as one that day. UTC
The fog journeys were scary, however, fog on the pitch was most welcome at the time.

The 2nd match is also (apart from Orient) the match that stands out as a unique, unrehearsed, happening.

By the end, I was, like many others, standing on my seat, clapping and singing. I couldn't sing any louder or clap any harder. Standing on the seat was the only thing where I could 'add'. Height!

The clapping was possessed. The rhythms changed often and naturally. I don't know for sure but I would imagine, carried away in the chant, as I was, it would be like the Indian chanting and peace pipe smoking or the Voodoo trance inducers.

Whatever it was, it lives on, as a badge of honour, in my head of Burnley big moments, which set us apart.

Up the Clarets.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1130 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:38 pm

ALP wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:26 am
My throat wasn't right for weeks after that, but it was one epic day to be a Claret
My bloody hands were red and numb for weeks also
This user liked this post: ALP

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:54 pm

it is crazy how amazing it was and yet we seemingly can't replicate it

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:20 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:01 pm
You may need to read Sadlers report of the Orient game… something like “we came to bury a legend and stayed to sing their praises.” Sadler was a cut above as a sports journalist.
Think that was Ian Woolridge actually but its a brilliant report nonetheless.

The Orient game reports, this Saddler report....they all added to the legend of Burnley in the early 1990s. They put the club on an extraordinary pedestal, I guess because (a) the writing was brilliant, and (b) the writers had grown up with Burnley a major club in the 60s.

BobbyBoucher
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by BobbyBoucher » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:25 pm

I was there and I have never been as proud of my club.
It was made all the better when I saw the article afterwards.
Blxxdy relentless. Each time it quietened I thought it would stop and then another claret would come forward again. I went on my first game in 1984 , cried on the turf in 87 , but in later life have reflected that it has been a steady rise ever since ( not many football fans can say that ) . I don’t go on anymore for various reasons (distance/health) , but by god Saturday afternoons are never interrupted and I will do anything to catch the clarets by whatever means. For those of you in your teens and twenties enjoy it , but I truly never felt less connected because we were rubbish.
Many will tell you that fans of all clubs feel like that, but they are wrong. Some clubs are the town itself and whilst we aren’t unique in th

Goalposts
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:26 pm

Yep was there for both games

BobbyBoucher
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by BobbyBoucher » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:26 pm

I was there and I have never been as proud of my club.
It was made all the better when I saw the article afterwards.
Blxxdy relentless. Each time it quietened I thought it would stop and then another claret would come forward again. I went on my first game in 1984 , cried on the turf in 87 , but in later life have reflected that it has been a steady rise ever since ( not many football fans can say that ) . I don’t go on anymore for various reasons (distance/health) , but by god Saturday afternoons are never interrupted and I will do anything to catch the clarets by whatever means. For those of you in your teens and twenties enjoy it , but I truly never felt less connected because we were rubbish.
Many will tell you that fans of all clubs feel like that, but they are wrong. Some clubs are the town itself and whilst we aren’t unique in that regard , we are special and that day was living proof of that UTC

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 pm

claretspice wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:20 pm
Think that was Ian Woolridge actually but its a brilliant report nonetheless.

The Orient game reports, this Saddler report....they all added to the legend of Burnley in the early 1990s. They put the club on an extraordinary pedestal, I guess because (a) the writing was brilliant, and (b) the writers had grown up with Burnley a major club in the 60s.
Quite possibly I bought every paper following the Orient game, so I could easily have mixed them up.

Gunfury
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Gunfury » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:56 pm

I was there.Can’t remember too much about the game though apart from the keeping error and thinking how lanky Ian Ormondroyd was…2 things I do remember mostly though are 1) The reception we gave Peter Shilton has he came to take his place in the goal at the start of the match to which he applauded our fans for and 2) JIMMY MULLENS CLARET AND BLUE ARMY!

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:08 pm

The best of days. The only time in the 'modern' era where we've come anywhere near was the home Spurs cup game, I still wake up thinking about Roman Pavlyuchenko and his little mate. Pair of two hats.
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die