50+

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

50+

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:08 pm

Trying to work out the pro's and cons of being a youth of today v when we grew up.
Let's face it, the technology today is amazing, but what is expected of our youth as people growing up today seems to be extremely confusing.
Things were much simpler when I was young, but having played hide and seek, kick the can and paper chase, I remember being bored senseless coz there was nowt else to do. There's so much more connectivity with friends these days, I'm jealous of how good these young uns have it.

Would you prefer then or now?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Re: 50+

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:21 pm

You can’t put an old head on young shoulders
We all have to find our way but I am so grateful for my parents elders and teachers who inculcated self discipline into my life and which seems to be stressed much less so meaning there is always an excuse for some young folk and indeed some of my generation to look outwards for why they are in the situation they are at rather than inwards
As JFK said don’t ask what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country
Well what I think I have tried to do is keep to that ethos
Apart from several Saturdays Sundays and weekdays from August to May
This user liked this post: CaptJohn

Dano1bfc
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Dano1bfc » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:22 pm

Don’t be jealous.

We have a young un (less than 5) and can safely say the only time technology is used is for an hr max per day . Interactive apps for fun learning and if we need to put a bit of Netflix on the tablet to refocus on actually eating the meal we’ve prepared.

Our lil un is so active with toys , playing at the park, trying to dress up the dog (don’t ask) … childhood is for doing, experiences and learning not the latest gadget imho. No disrespect to anybody with a different viewpoint.

Days as a family out on a beach , walking the dog or even just watching Toy Story together for the 9999 millionth time are invaluable. Social interaction is what our lil family is striving for in order to hopefully lead to a well balanced successful adulthood . Technology takes a lot of that away.

Just my viewpoint, but an interesting thread to any parents.

UTC
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:23 pm

I can get info from Google in minutes
Thirty years ago it took many hours of visits to the library to sift through papers etc to get the info I was seeking
This user liked this post: CaptJohn

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 pm

Difficult to say. Love today’s technology but it is killing genuine interaction. Nobody ‘calls for’ anyone any more. I used to love climbing trees, drinking water from streams, having ‘stone’ fights, playing on building sights and being chased off by the watchman and just generally being outside, and nobody died. Today’s nanny state is a bit boring I believe. We used to live by the old ‘sticks and stones’ philosophy but now everyone is taught to be offended. Parents weren’t pressured into buying kids designer clothes and shoes for fear of fashion bullies.
Today cars are better, TVs and computers are great, phones are terrific, teachers are no longer allowed to carry out child abuse in schools (imagine being allowed to hit kids with sticks) and the air is cleaner because adults have learned (mostly) not to poison their kids with cigarette smoke.
All in all I suppose it’s hard to compare really. There is so much good about the modern world but we’ve also lost something along the way. But, to use a Buddhist term, the only permanent thing in the universe is change.
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubclaret Quicknick

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 pm
Difficult to say. Love today’s technology but it is killing genuine interaction. Nobody ‘calls for’ anyone any more. I used to love climbing trees, drinking water from streams, having ‘stone’ fights, playing on building sights and being chased off by the watchman and just generally being outside, and nobody died. Today’s nanny state is a bit boring I believe. We used to live by the old ‘sticks and stones’ philosophy but now everyone is taught to be offended. Parents weren’t pressured into buying kids designer clothes and shoes for fear of fashion bullies.
Today cars are better, TVs and computers are great, phones are terrific, teachers are no longer allowed to carry out child abuse in schools (imagine being allowed to hit kids with sticks) and the air is cleaner because adults have learned (mostly) not to poison their kids with cigarette smoke.
All in all I suppose it’s hard to compare really. There is so much good about the modern world but we’ve also lost something along the way. But, to use a Buddhist term, the only permanent thing in the universe is change.
The older generation had it right in so many ways I wouldn't know where to start, for sure things have improved but things that really matter I'm not sure, I remember men being men no twitter or tattoos or pulling blades out on people, any grievances were dealt with in a gentlemanly conduct with fisticuffs on the street & a shake of the hands it's a behaviour people understood. In some ways I wish the police would go away & the krays would come back with women & children & old people safe.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:51 pm

We used to be out on our bikes all the time. Went home when we were hungry.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:52 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:23 pm
I can get info from Google in minutes
Thirty years ago it took many hours of visits to the library to sift through papers etc to get the info I was seeking
Yet amazingly there a lots of people who still refuse to do that during a discussion

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:02 pm

I’m glad we didn’t have mobile phones, social media or any lockdowns during my adolescence.
These 4 users liked this post: Jakubclaret Quicknick Im_not_Robbie_Blake depechedingle

California Colner
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by California Colner » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:29 pm

I’m glad i wasn’t staring at a phone 24/7 in my youth, always out playing games with my friends until it went dark.
Never got bored
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:29 am

Jakubclaret, you have surpassed yourself. I didn't think it was possible, but you continue to surprise me and yet I'm not in the least surprised. I bid you goodnight sir.
This user liked this post: Exsus

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:31 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:29 am
Jakubclaret, you have surpassed yourself. I didn't think it was possible, but you continue to surprise me and yet I'm not in the least surprised. I bid you goodnight sir.
You have surpassed yourself with no spelling mistakes which within itself is a rarity, sleep well.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 am

The past for me.
There is so much hate and extreme violence in the world.
So many young that want everything now.
So many that can’t be told they are wrong.
So many led by fake icons, Kardashians, Andrew Tate, etc.,
I’d hate to be young.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Dano1bfc
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Dano1bfc » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:04 am

Jakubclaret,
All this talk of men being men and blades… then referring to the the Krays.
Technology isn’t suitable at my younger child’s age. Jakubclaret. However it appears it maybe useful at yours Fella to understand the significance and history of the people u refetence.
Be careful.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:12 am

Dano1bfc wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:04 am
Jakubclaret,
All this talk of men being men and blades… then referring to the the Krays.
Technology isn’t suitable at my younger child’s age. Jakubclaret. However it appears it maybe useful at yours Fella to understand the significance and history of the people u refetence.
Be careful.
It's well researched apart from jack the hat which ultimately led to their downfall, blades weren't the preferred choice & if that was necessary it certainly would have been the last resort, if the krays were still about I think a sense of law & order would be restored using the old fashioned methods which I'd get on with, the krays weren't everybody's cup of tea I realise that, it's gone now & a new type of gangland era has taken over using shooters.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:17 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 am
The past for me.
So many led by fake icons, Kardashians, Andrew Tate, etc.,
I’d hate to be young.
I agree. Also the lack of discipline, at School and in the home. Kids know they can get away with things because there is know discipline. I used to get a thick ear off my dad at times when I was wrong, I think dads would probably be on a charge today !
The past for me too.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Tricky Trevor

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:32 am

No Ney Never wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:08 pm
Trying to work out the pro's and cons of being a youth of today v when we grew up.
Let's face it, the technology today is amazing, but what is expected of our youth as people growing up today seems to be extremely confusing.
Things were much simpler when I was young, but having played hide and seek, kick the can and paper chase, I remember being bored senseless coz there was nowt else to do. There's so much more connectivity with friends these days, I'm jealous of how good these young uns have it.

Would you prefer then or now?
Then, for many reasons.
Having to use your imagination to create games was a massive building tool in your development, having computer games spoon feed doesn't teach much, and is far unhealthier.
The connectivity to friends is also a highway for bullies, and too many 'friends', are just a like of someone you've met once. Neither can replace a true friend, who shares your trials, tribulations and triumphs.
There is also the role of influencers, who weak people listen to. This happens when you don't go out and find life for yourself, but 'find' it through a computer screen.

It wasn't all good back in the day, just as it isn't all bad today, but having lived through one, and observed the other, I wouldn't swap my childhood for anything.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat Tricky Trevor

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:40 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 pm
I remember men being men no twitter or tattoos or pulling blades out on people
You remember when there were no tattoos or knife crime? You must as old as the hills, or from another planet. What a load of rubbish.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:45 am

As ever, it’s not the era that was good, it was being young.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie KateR Anonymous

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:47 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 pm
The older generation had it right in so many ways I wouldn't know where to start, for sure things have improved but things that really matter I'm not sure, I remember men being men no twitter or tattoos or pulling blades out on people, any grievances were dealt with in a gentlemanly conduct with fisticuffs on the street & a shake of the hands it's a behaviour people understood. In some ways I wish the police would go away & the krays would come back with women & children & old people safe.
Hell's bells, Jakub, are you serious?
Tattoos did exist back then as did men "pulling out Blades" on people. Thuggery, particularly at football games was rife and town centres were far more unpleasant than now. Gentlemanly? Where the hell were you brought up?
You admiring the handiwork and the values of people like the Krays really does highlight your absolute shallowness and willingness to believe, contrary to your persistent claim of not doing so, everything you read and hear.
Bonkers.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:49 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:32 am
Then, for many reasons.
Having to use your imagination to create games was a massive building tool in your development, having computer games spoon feed doesn't teach much, and is far unhealthier.
The connectivity to friends is also a highway for bullies, and too many 'friends', are just a like of someone you've met once. Neither can replace a true friend, who shares your trials, tribulations and triumphs.
There is also the role of influencers, who weak people listen to. This happens when you don't go out and find life for yourself, but 'find' it through a computer screen.

It wasn't all good back in the day, just as it isn't all bad today, but having lived through one, and observed the other, I wouldn't swap my childhood for anything.

Brilliant, Colburn.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:49 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:12 am
It's well researched apart from jack the hat which ultimately led to their downfall, blades weren't the preferred choice & if that was necessary it certainly would have been the last resort, if the krays were still about I think a sense of law & order would be restored using the old fashioned methods which I'd get on with, the krays weren't everybody's cup of tea I realise that, it's gone now & a new type of gangland era has taken over using shooters.
Mindboggling contributions, even for you.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:56 am

Truly astonishing.
Wind up merchandise at its finest or pure idiocy?
Mmmmm, tough call....

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:04 pm

You certainly need Factor 50 on today. :D

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:32 am
Then, for many reasons.

I reluctantly agree. Technology is fantastic but we seem to have lost a sense of community, a sense of civic duty and integrity.

You walk out of your door and are immediately subject to surveillance. Workplaces are very performative and we all seem to be little more than walking widgets. Ideology rules supreme and people seem incapable of seeing through it whether it is the gibberish of the woke or the reckless insanity of the ERG group and the Tory Right.

The concept of Progress seems to be under threat and the values of the enlightenment: science, technology and liberal progress is being replaced by the rampant individualism of whatever I think its true is true.

Still we've got Youtube so not all bad.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:53 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 am
So many led by fake icons, Elvis, The Beatles, etc.,
I’d hate to be young.
Edited it to what my dad would have said about my generation back in the early 60s!

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:15 pm

While I use the most up to date tech in research and marvel at our lads game tech, I am so glad I grew up in a less savvy world. I cannot imagine todays kids bombing around a housing estate of choppers and grifters playing ‘CHiPs’, arming themselves with a cricket stump for a mass game of army or wandering up Hambledon like an Enid Blyton adventure on a summers day.

Glad I was a kid in the seventies. Loved Saturday night TV… Planet of the apes followed by Match of the day, and then the Hammer Horror double bill before bed…. It was ace.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:22 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:12 am
Far from not being everyone's cup of tea the Krays were absolute scumbags. They forced people to pay them money for "protection" that never happened. Whenever the business had any grief from elsewhere the Krays were nowhere to be seen.

They also ran "long firms" whereby they would steal ownership of people's pubs and other businesses, then establish regular lines of credit with existing suppliers, building up trust over a matter of months. Eventually they would put in a huge order for whatever commodity the business was trading in, sell the goods, and leave the supplier out of pocket and the original owner with a trashed business.

No idea why anybody thinks they were some sort of pillar of the community, in any capacity.

I was in Bethnal Green a few weeks ago and did a tour with one of the leading Kray experts. They certainly didn't provide any defacto law and order, other than their way being the law
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret evensteadiereddie

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:32 pm

no brainer for me, I would prefer to be young now, but I'd want the same parents, same discipline. At the same time I really enjoyed my youth, had a fabulous time and I'm still trying to enjoy every single day as I know 100% that I've less left to go than I've already enjoyed!

Pickles
Been Liked: 1343 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:35 pm

If the same tech was around in the 50s and 60s as it is now, kids then would be using them just as much as kids do now.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Great post Croydon, with the likes of Freddie Foreman and others who would kill or torture on the orders of the brothers it wasn't a very healthy social circle. Charitable collections rarely found their way to the correct recipient, usually to their back pockets. Some people just have no idea. Lord Boothby and others could tell about their blackmail business.
This user liked this post: Croydon Claret

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 195 times
Has Liked: 272 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:30 pm

My two 11 year old grandkids have gone on an adventure weekend with their school and all the kids have been banned from taking their phones with them.I bet they have the time of their lives and probably a good childhood memory for ever.But the sad thing is as soon as they get home at the first opportunity they will be glued to their phones or tablets.
And my view on the Krays no way should they be held in high esteem they were not loveable rouges but bullying bastards.They were sent packing when they ventured north and were not even the top firm in London
This user liked this post: Croydon Claret

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:35 am

Croydon Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:22 pm

No idea why anybody thinks they were some sort of pillar of the community, in any capacity.
Ignorant idiots who think films like The Krays are social history documentaries.
These 2 users liked this post: Croydon Claret evensteadiereddie

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:58 am

I’m so glad I’m 60 and not 16. I’ve done all I’ve wanted to do, and now I’m enjoying the fruits of my labours.