ARTICLE: Super Taff

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: Super Taff

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:58 am

Latest ex-Claret feature - Leighton James

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/super-taff
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies SussexDon1inIreland groove

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: ARTICLE: Super Taff

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:45 am

Excellent piece on one of my favourite players. Every time he got the ball you could sense the anticipation in the crowd. OK he was arrogant but his great self belief made him the player he was.
Regarding his contact lenses, this might be a figment of my imagination but wasn’t the game once stopped because one of his lenses fell out and attempts were made to find it?
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg Taffy on the wing SussexDon1inIreland

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:51 am

I do think his arrogance was the reason why some of the players had little time for him, but it really did make him the player he was.

About five years ago I was in the ticket office and for some reason his name came up in conversation. Jim Thomson was in there and said he was so good he should have won over 150 caps for his country.

I seem to have a recollection of the contact lens coming out. I don't care what he said, he needed them because his eye sight was not good.

He was also a very interesting cricketer who could have played at county level had he not taken up football. Being a flamboyant footballer I expected him to bat with that same attitude but he was a very technically correct batsman.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland basil6345789

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:17 pm

Can vouch for that CT, I bowled a few overs at him for Earby when he was playing for Read, unfortunately I didn't get him out but neither did he get many runs.

He came over for a chat in the bar after the game as well, so whilst a lot of people found him aloof and arrogant it wasn't the case with me, he was a very decent bloke.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick SussexDon1inIreland

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:21 pm

My favourite ever Claret. I lived across the road for him and got to know him very well. We played in the same quiz team for a while and his knowledge of all things sport was excellent. Along with Dave Thomas the best crosser of a ball I've ever seen in a Burnley shirt.
These 4 users liked this post: Quicknick warksclaret SussexDon1inIreland Redbeard

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:23 pm

bodge wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:17 pm
Can vouch for that CT, I bowled a few overs at him for Earby when he was playing for Read, unfortunately I didn't get him out but neither did he get many runs.

He came over for a chat in the bar after the game as well, so whilst a lot of people found him aloof and arrogant it wasn't the case with me, he was a very decent bloke.
Definitely a very decent bloke
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6907 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:40 pm

I think he lived opposite the George the fourth on Padiham Road for a while, superb exciting player. I remember one summer as a kid watching the first team train on Towneley Park, I think work was being done on Gawthorpe or the bridge hence Towneley and he asked my mate would he nip to the cafe or shop to get some pop, he gave him the cash and told him to keep the change.

sjb

Post by sjb » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:46 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:40 pm
I think he lived opposite the George the fourth on Padiham Road for a while, superb exciting player. I remember one summer as a kid watching the first team train on Towneley Park, I think work was being done on Gawthorpe or the bridge hence Towneley and he asked my mate would he nip to the cafe or shop to get some pop, he gave him the cash and told him to keep the change.
He did live opposite the George later on. House called 'Captain's Cottage.' Earlier he lived near the Tim Bobbin.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:02 pm

Wonderful memories of the great man!

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:13 pm

He did brighten up those difficult years.

Saw him for Bury in their promotion season under Dobbo, fantastic

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:24 pm

I remember seeing a very spindly legged young winger, at a cup match, versus Oxford United. We lost.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:50 pm

Another excellent article. I was a student in London in the early 70's. Students from all over the UK supporting the usual 'big' teams but they all knew who Leighton James was and what he was capable of. As exciting a player as any I've seen for us over many decades. That wonderful ability to cross the ball whilst still in full movement was a joy to behold. Can only think of Wade Elliot for us being comparable in that skill.
As for his late equaliser at Luton in September 1972, I was stood right behind where he picked up the ball before cutting inside to score with his left foot. Still watch it before every home game on the big screen and still tell my grandchildren 'I was there that day'.
Saw him give so many full backs the 'runaround' but your reference to Ian Wood and that FACup tie always makes me smile. We were in that covered terrace behind the goal( though so many were in the end opposite) and it was poetry in motion watching him leave Wood behind and then put in sublime crosses for Fletc and Dobo with 'head me please' written all.over them. Just a superb footballer and entertainer.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:56 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:50 pm
Another excellent article. I was a student in London in the early 70's. Students from all over the UK supporting the usual 'big' teams but they all knew who Leighton James was and what he was capable of. As exciting a player as any I've seen for us over many decades. That wonderful ability to cross the ball whilst still in full movement was a joy to behold. Can only think of Wade Elliot for us being comparable in that skill.
As for his late equaliser at Luton in September 1972, I was stood right behind where he picked up the ball before cutting inside to score with his left foot. Still watch it before every home game on the big screen and still tell my grandchildren 'I was there that day'.
Saw him give so many full backs the 'runaround' but your reference to Ian Wood and that FACup tie always makes me smile. We were in that covered terrace behind the goal( though so many were in the end opposite) and it was poetry in motion watching him leave Wood behind and then put in sublime crosses for Fletc and Dobo with 'head me please' written all.over them. Just a superb footballer and entertainer.
We were on the open end but poor Wood that day, I can't imagine he ever had a more difficult afternoon. What a ridiculous thing to do by Frizzell to wind Taffy up.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1116 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:58 pm

Excellent article. Thanks.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:59 pm

Excellent article CT on one of our all time greats. I think the biggest surprise for me was Taff moving to Derby. I know they were 1st Division champions and in Europe at the time but from what I'm led to believe there were bigger clubs in for him, most notably two North London rivals. Had he gone to either, who knows how his career might have developed. However in all honesty, for me it fell well short of expectations.
I was in the United Road when we played them in the league cup in '74. Remember us toying with them in the 1st half and when we went 2-1 up, Taff came over licking a finger and showing the score to the United fans. If the objective was to wind them up, it certainly worked because they went on to beat us 3-2 and the abuse Taff got thereafter was unreal.

lewishamclaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by lewishamclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:00 pm

Loved it, thanks. Will always remember him lolloping down the wing with the ball.

daveyclaret
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by daveyclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:23 pm

One of my favourite players we've had at the club. As has been mentioned may times on this Board, that 72-73 team had many fine players that included James and they were a pleasure to watch.

He didn't last long at Derby when Tommy Doc took over as manager. Apparently, Doc told James that he was deceptive, saying that he was slower than he looked.

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:28 pm

He was my first football love.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:43 pm

I remember a game v Rochdale when Taff had swallowed his tongue and the trainer came on.
After Taff had recovered he played even better.This I believe was the third time he'd signed for us

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:49 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:24 pm
I remember seeing a very spindly legged young winger, at a cup match, versus Oxford United. We lost.
That must be the same match I went to in January 1971. Four or five of us travelled from S.W. London for a
3rd/4th round FA Cup tie night game. Had it been postponed the previous Saturday? It was a woeful performance, lost 3-0, I think and I'm sure Ron and Graeme Atkinson both played for Oxford. Think they had a forward called Terry Cassidy, big moustache and scored a few goals for them. Lot of 'thinking' I'm afraid but it was a very long time ago..🤔

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:54 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:49 pm
That must be the same match I went to in January 1971. Four or five of us travelled from S.W. London for a
3rd/4th round FA Cup tie night game. Had it been postponed the previous Saturday? It was a woeful performance, lost 3-0, I think and I'm sure Ron and Graeme Atkinson both played for Oxford. Think they had a forward called Terry Cassidy, big moustache and scored a few goals for them. Lot of 'thinking' I'm afraid but it was a very long time ago..🤔
Memory good I can confirm
FA Cup 3rd round - postponed on the previous Saturday due to a frozen pitch. We were on the coach going through Banbury when Adamson popped up in the road flagging us down to tell us not to go any further.
Definitely woeful apart from Tony Waiters who kept the score down.
Ron Atkinson and his brother Graham are both listed on the programme as is Cassidy but his first name is Nigel.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:20 pm

Didn’t Gerry Peyton kick him up the Arsenal when he played for Derby against us?

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:42 pm

In his first stint with us when he was still rapid, defenders would double up on him.

I remember once when he had two defenders blocking his way, he pushed it past them and ran around them out of play and got to it first before charging down the wing, powered by the Longside roar.

Very good with either foot too, which certain left-wingers today don't seem to see the importance of.

Mondsley
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Mondsley » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:43 pm

First time I saw him was a youth team game at Rochdale when the first team were drawing at Chelsea in the FA Cup. You just knew he was going to be a special player. A couple of mares and I recently spent a couple of hours chatting with Colin Waldron. He had quite a few stories to tell about Taffy! But he did say in all the time he played with him he never really knew if he was left or right footed.

Mondsley

Post by Mondsley » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:45 pm

Mondsley wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:43 pm
First time I saw him was a youth team game at Rochdale when the first team were drawing at Chelsea in the FA Cup. You just knew he was going to be a special player. A couple of mares and I recently spent a couple of hours chatting with Colin Waldron. He had quite a few stories to tell about Taffy! But he did say in all the time he played with him he never really knew if he was left or right footed.

Wow, predictive text. Mates not Rovers fans!!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:47 pm

Mondsley wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:43 pm
I was chatting to Waldo just a couple of days ago but Taffy didn’t come up in our conversation. I think it’s fair to say he wasn’t a fan.

Mondsley

Post by Mondsley » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:50 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:47 pm

I was chatting to Waldo just a couple of days ago but Taffy didn’t come up in our conversation. I think it’s fair to say he wasn’t a fan.
I didn't want to spell it out. But you're not wrong!, :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:53 pm

Mondsley wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:50 pm
I didn't want to spell it out. But you're not wrong!, :D
Waldo’s a brilliant bloke but I tend to steer well clear of Taffy when I’m talking with him. Keith Newton, Brian O’Neil & Geoff Nulty were the main subjects this time.

Ightenhill_Claret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ightenhill_Claret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Really enjoying these features. I’d say Taffy is probably in the top three players I’m gutted to have never seen in a Burnley shirt, mainly based on the things my late dad used to say about him as a player.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:40 pm

A couple of things stick in my mind, one being he used to come into my dads shop in town when I was a kid, and always chatted with me when I was there knowing I was football mad……

Then years later that pen v Torquay……..

Clearly a claret legend…..

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:56 pm

Like lots of others I knew Taffy well from when he turned up at LHCC all skin and bone. He used to meet our gang at the bus station after school usually limping on one leg then allegedly walking away limping on the other. Around the time when he seemed to beat England 5-1 (I think) on his own he was the most exciting player in the country.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:18 pm

COBBLE wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:56 pm
Like lots of others I knew Taffy well from when he turned up at LHCC all skin and bone. He used to meet our gang at the bus station after school usually limping on one leg then allegedly walking away limping on the other. Around the time when he seemed to beat England 5-1 (I think) on his own he was the most exciting player in the country.
It was 4-1 at Wrexham. He was a Swansea player by that time.
This user liked this post: COBBLE

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:19 pm

Leighton James is my favourite Burnley winger ever, and that's saying something as we've had so many really good ones.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Owdsyker
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Owdsyker » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:21 pm

My memory on this is up for scrutiny but when Taffy first appeared in the reserves we played Man City reserves and they had a debutant called Arthur Mann, a highly rated right back they had just signed for £40,000 from Hearts I believe. I think we won 7 - 1 and Taffy scored six and ended Mann's carreer. At least that's how I remember it.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:58 pm

My favourite player for Burnley. When he got the ball the longside used to "buzz" in anticipation. I tried to get my first lad to be christened Leighton James but the mrs wasn't having it . So he's called Michael Leighton James .
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:03 pm

expoultryboy wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:58 pm
My favourite player for Burnley. When he got the ball the longside used to "buzz" in anticipation. I tried to get my first lad to be christened Leighton James but the mrs wasn't having it . So he's called Michael Leighton James .
Nothing wrong with Michael........Mike

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:18 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:49 pm
Definitely an evening game and we lost heavily, so probably right. My dad took me. Lots of moaning about why I support such a team that loses to Oxford!

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:20 pm

My favourite player of all time,no doubt helped by the fact he was at his prime when I first started supporting us in the '70's. I'm lucky enough to have his shirt from the Orient game.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:13 pm

Great write up. I think James was one of the very few players I have seen in claret and blue that on his day was absolutely unplayable. I was at Oldham, stood on an ash mound watching him totally destroy Oldhams full back.
He was certainly also a character. I once agreed to meet a girl in the evening outside the club shop. As I was waiting, Leighton James comes up next to me and starts effing and blinding about women and, I gathered, one that had stood him up. As he was still ranting, my date turned up, I just gave him a wink as I walked off with her. He laughed and gave back a thumbs up.
He would always be in my all time Burnley team, brilliant player.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:53 am

Interesting to hear a few negative comments about him. He was my hero but I've said before the one time I met him he came across as aloof and a bit impatient.

I can't recall the actual year, but it was related to Burnley Boys Club, which was on Colne Road at the time and we had completed 10 mile walk for charity - I would guess it was mid 70s so I'd have been 8 or 9 and Taffy was everyone's hero.

To be honest, he gave the impression he couldn't be *rsed being there - saying that he had given up his time so.....

Had quite an impact because I can remember it like it was yesterday.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:52 am

My first Clarets hero. Met him once at Rammy cricket club when he was playing for Lowerhouse seconds. It was a rainy day and I sat talking with him for a good 30-40 minutes, was also very happy to sign all the stuff I’d taken down knowing he would be there.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:15 am

Good article Tony........He got fans out of their seat & invariably took his man on.
My favourite player from back in the day & that great team in the early 70's.

......thanks to Vincent Kompany i'm living it all over again, with another exciting, young, talented team.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:00 am

Also my favourite Claret
I just wish there was more video footage of how good he was
Is that 5-1 Wales performance available on video?

What’s he doing these days?

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:34 am

SussexDon1inIreland wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:00 am
What’s he doing these days?

UTC
Not heard for a while but he was fighting prostate cancer at one time although I think he's won that battle. He also had a stroke nine years ago but it was just a mild stroke. I think he still does some punditry for BBC Radio in Wales.

Here's his discussion (for want of a better word) with Robbie Savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRXvw4PeEYg
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02hVBMqGnWc

Tonto
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Tonto » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:42 am

Very much liked /disliked by many Swansea fans i know down this way as a person in anyway,i have never met him but everyone in agreement that on the field absolutely loved watch him play(me included),he did a bit of a talk show on local radio and quite outspoken on it ,not sure if that is still the case

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:50 am

Something I witnessed from his days playing cricket for Lowerhouse was at Bentgate, home of Haslingden Cri cket Club. Well known 'character' around those parts, Jackie Barnes was wandering around the ground until he reached the area where Leighton was fielding close to the boundary. Jackie shouts in his very own loud, stuttering style, 'did you win the toss, Leighton?' Leighton answered quite politely 'No'. Jackie stood his ground and Leighton was brought further in field to mid on. At least a full over went by until Leighton took up his place on the long on boundary again. Immediately a patient Jackie called Leighton closer to him and asked 'Did you lose it then?' Leighton walked away knowing he'd been well and truly had. For anyone who knew Jackie Barnes or encountered him that has to be one of his all time classics.

sjb

Post by sjb » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Jackie Barnes could warrant a thread devoted just to him! He's even mentioned in David Lloyd's autobiography where he's described as the heckler from Rawtenstall. Used to be a fixture in the Bob Lord Stand on Burnley Reserve games in the 1990s, and I once met him randomly walking along Scarborough sea front in about 1999 - presume he was there to watch the Yorkshire game which was being played at the time. The word 'character' could have been invented for him.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Steve-Harpers-perm

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:15 pm

Saw him play away at Villa in a 1-3 Clarets win in the early Seventies (72...73?) Ran em daft.

I also remember (on the international front) he had a long hate/hate ongoing feud with Danny McGrain, Scotland full back, (at least I think it was him) which was most entertaining when DMcG got wound up :lol:

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:24 pm

I haven't seen a better winger in my 50 years watching the Clarets. Could beat defenders on both sides and deliver perfect crosses with a great shot too. Benson and Zaroury combined in one, with Roberts's welsh attitude. What a player!
This user liked this post: sjb

sjb

Post by sjb » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:27 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:15 pm
Saw him play away at Villa in a 1-3 Clarets win in the early Seventies (72...73?) Ran em daft.

I also remember (on the international front) he had a long hate/hate ongoing feud with Danny McGrain, Scotland full back, (at least I think it was him) which was most entertaining when DMcG got wound up :lol:
It was 72/73 and 3-0, but you're right, he ran the show that afternoon.