West Indian Cricket ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

West Indian Cricket ...

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:05 pm

Struggling to qualify for the next ODI World Cup, having lost to Zimbabwe and to the Netherlands, by way of a " Super-over " earlier today . They will now have to beat Oman, Scotland & Sri Lanka in the " Super Six " section of the qualifying, and hope other results go their way to qualify for the Tournament, which starts on 5th October in India. Afghanistan & Bangladesh have already qualified with India ( hosts ), England, Australia, Pakistan, South Africa & New Zealand ...

To anyone who grew up watching the great West Indies sides of the 1970's & 80's, this is almost unthinkable. Lack of funds, corruption, the attraction of Basketball over Cricket and Inter-Island rivalry are apparently among the reasons given ... it's very sad to see :(
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Re: West Indian Cricket ...

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:28 pm

I hadn't realised this. Very sad, as you say. In recent years I've also found it pretty sad to see the crowds for West Indies v England test matches in the Caribbean seemingly dominated by English tourists which also suggests the game is losing it's hold in one of it's key heritage locations. I grew up in Colne and watching Collis King smash balls over the wall into Keighley Road was just one example of the great pleasure West Indian cricketers have brought to the Lancashire League going back to the days of Learie Constantine. To say nothing of growing up watching those incredible West Indian fast bowlers and batsmen at test level. really hope things can improve..

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:30 pm

Brian Lara
Curtley Ambrose
Courtney Walsh
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Jimmy Adams
Carl Hooper
Sherwin Campbell
Mervyn Dillon

Some of their 90’s team were fantastic too

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:39 am

Clarets4me wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:05 pm
Struggling to qualify for the next ODI World Cup, having lost to Zimbabwe and to the Netherlands, by way of a " Super-over " earlier today . They will now have to beat Oman, Scotland & Sri Lanka in the " Super Six " section of the qualifying, and hope other results go their way to qualify for the Tournament, which starts on 5th October in India. Afghanistan & Bangladesh have already qualified with India ( hosts ), England, Australia, Pakistan, South Africa & New Zealand ...

To anyone who grew up watching the great West Indies sides of the 1970's & 80's, this is almost unthinkable. Lack of funds, corruption, the attraction of Basketball over Cricket and Inter-Island rivalry are apparently among the reasons given ... it's very sad to see :(
Starting in the 1960s through to the 1980s, they produced so many outstanding cricketers you thought no one would ever catch up with them.

But the interest has waned with, as you say, basketball has become the popular sport. There’s always been that inter-island rivalry. I remember our old friend Eli played at Bacup when Basil Butcher was pro. Butcher was from Guyana and Eli told me that he had no time for Barbadians. Clive Lloyd was the one captain who had the ability to pull them all together.

Such a shame, cricket needs a top West Indian team.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:57 am

Clive Lloyd, super Haz

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:03 am

Clive Lloyd is my favourite player.......Nobody better to watch when in full flow!

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:43 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:03 am
Clive Lloyd is my favourite player.......Nobody better to watch when in full flow!
His timing and power were superb. Absolutely agree that watching him in full flow was a delight. He wasn’t a bad fielder either.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3348 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:06 am

Test matches v West Indies over here were absolutely packed in the 70s and 80s. I remember going to Old Trafford in the early 80s and Richards was facing his great mate Botham. It was absolute bedlam and such an amazing atmosphere and West Indies almost always came out on top as we simply couldn't live with them.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:13 am

Really sad to see, a bit like United being relegated to League 2. The teams of the seventies and eighties were on a different planet cricket wise ably led by Clive Lloyd. Its difficult to single out individuals but the era contained the best batsman i've seen in Viv Richards and two of the greatest bowlers in Marshall and Holding. Just goes to show sports for the moment.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:14 am

Watching the Windies was always the highlight of cricket viewing, sad to witness the decline.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:25 am

Sat at Old Trafford as a kid with my pop and crisps and little green scorebook watching those other-worldly heroes take us apart seems like a distant memory now...

Conrad hunt, Seymour Nurse, Basil Butcher... Wes Hall, Charlie Griffiths, Gary Sobers, Lance Gibbs... I could go on but it's all a bit sad tbh

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:27 am

The lack of money in West Indies cricket and the lure of 20/20 franchise money didn't help either along with all the in-fighting

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:25 am
Sat at Old Trafford as a kid with my pop and crisps and little green scorebook watching those other-worldly heroes take us apart seems like a distant memory now...

Conrad hunt, Seymour Nurse, Basil Butcher... Wes Hall, Charlie Griffiths, Gary Sobers, Lance Gibbs... I could go on but it's all a bit sad tbh
And all but one of them was a Lancashire League pro

Hunte - Enfield
Nurse - Ramsbottom
Butcher - Bacup & Lowerhouse
Hall - Accrington
Griffith - Burnley
Gibbs - Burnley
This user liked this post: fatboy47

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:51 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:03 am
Suratclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:43 am
His timing and power were superb. Absolutely agree that watching him in full flow was a delight. He wasn’t a bad fielder either.
The crowd would go to OT when he was playing for Lancs and would want us to lose two quick wickets so he could come in and bat. Decent bowler too and one of the world's great cover fielders to add to being a great captain.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:26 am

The super over was incredible
Van Beek hit 30 - probably 3 sixes and 3 fours
He then bowled the over and picked up 2 wickets
He was also out off the last ball of the 50th over
Amazing involvement for 1 player

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5562 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:45 am

I grew up in the '80's watching us get smashed regularly by the Windies. Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Dijon, Marshall, Holding, Garner and the rest.

I hated them at the time, they ruined by summers but what a team.

And after them there was Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Walsh & Ambrose.

Really sad to see where they are now. It's not just in the Carribbean where interest seems to be lost though, you don't see the West Indies fans at tests in England like in the past when games were like a carnival.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:51 am

Tragic to see the decline, West Indies were the benchmark in World Cricket in the 1980s. Lightinng quick bowlers with Garner, Marshall, Holding, Bishop and then Ambrose and Walsh. And once you finally deposed the opening batters, enter the greatest batsman i have seen play the game, IVA Richards. When i moved to London at first in the late 90s, i was having a drink in the pub after work with one of my team and i mentioned to someone that i had played cricket in Burnley. Park cricket up Towneley was as far as i got. She said her brother in law also played cricket and i may know him. I don't think so, i havent played since i moved apart from a couple of work related friendlies. She insisted i may know him, his name is Desmond Haynes. As in West Indies opening batsman for what seemed like an age alongside Gordon Greenidge? Yes thats him he is married to my sister!

One weekend she stayed over with us and unbeknown to me, arranged for Des to phone me for a chat. A bit awkward, what do you say to someone you have only ever seen either on TV or at a cricket ground flaying the English bowlers to all parts of the ground?

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:50 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:05 pm
... the attraction of Basketball over Cricket ...are apparently among the reasons given
Based on conversations and observation during out time in the Caribbean - virtually full time betwen 2013 & 2017 - I've long felt that this is the biggie and undoubtedly what put an end to the WI's production-line of great fast bowlers. A young lad growing up in the islands can make far more money carving out a career in even second tier basketball in the US than he will as a West Indian cricketer -third tier basketball would pay similarly. While the growth of 20/20 cricket now offers the prospect of bigger paydays, even those aple into insignificance compared to what you'd earn should you make the grade to become a regular starter in the NBA.
Those are perhaps obvious, but it goes deeper: What gets the parents/families onboard is the education opportunity. The lad (or lass) doesn't need to make it into professional basketball, simply showing 'promise' can earn them a place at a US School/University, offering the prospect of a probably better education and certainly a more internationally accepted degree/graduation certificate at the end of it than they could achieve in the islands; this in turn can provide route to visas/residency/green card for the kid and potentially his/her family.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:20 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:45 am
I grew up in the '80's watching us get smashed regularly by the Windies. Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Dijon, Marshall, Holding, Garner and the rest.

I hated them at the time, they ruined by summers but what a team.

And after them there was Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Walsh & Ambrose.

Really sad to see where they are now. It's not just in the Carribbean where interest seems to be lost though, you don't see the West Indies fans at tests in England like in the past when games were like a carnival.

I remember that Dijon he was mustard
This user liked this post: TheFamilyCat

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:59 pm

Some incredible names on this thread , the WI seemed to churn out generation after generation . They had an aura about them . First great team I remember were Richards and Grenidge/Fredricks opening with Clive Lloyd, Kali, Khani etc after and the great Lance Gibbs who is related to Clive . Holder and Roberts steaming in . Big Joel Garner and Holding shortly after .Great pity how they’ve fallen .

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:29 pm

It is a very sad state of affairs. Basically modern cricket has exacerbated the existing problems in West Indies cricket. The lack of resources means that players head off to play in all manner of T20 leagues around the world. In the past there was a strong domestic competition (matches between Jamaica and Barbados for example were almost international level) but the better players aren't around most of the time.

Having said that - the 'basketball is replacing cricket' explanation is a weird myth. KIds play cricket or football in the Caribbean.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:46 pm

Forza, I was going to say is the Baketball thing really as prominent as is often said? I’ve heard it mentioned for years as a reason why cricket has declined so rapidly in the West Indies.

This is a genuine question as I’ve never been to the Carribean so can’t comment myself but I’d be interested to know how many kids from the Islands progress to become NBA stars or even in the lower levels of basketball etc.

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:54 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:46 pm
Forza, I was going to say is the Baketball thing really as prominent as is often said? I’ve heard it mentioned for years as a reason why cricket has declined so rapidly in the West Indies.

This is a genuine question as I’ve never been to the Carribean so can’t comment myself but I’d be interested to know how many kids from the Islands progress to become NBA stars or even in the lower levels of basketball etc.
Very few.

Cricket is still widely played in schools, the clubs still exist and there are youth cricket programmes. I guess the most famous NBA player from the Caribbean was Tim Duncan who was from the US Virgin Islands. It's a non-issue really.

If there is competition with cricket - it comes from football.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:39 pm

Seeing King Viv at Seedhill was unforgettable. Pitched against rising Aussie star Steve Waugh too.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:12 pm

My dad used to tell me of Richards flying in by helicopter, to play for Rishton. With a huge crowd there to see the master at work. He says he was lbw second ball, but the umpire didn't dare give him out because the crowd would have gone mad.
Anybody there that day?

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:28 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:30 pm
Brian Lara
Curtley Ambrose
Courtney Walsh
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Jimmy Adams
Carl Hooper
Sherwin Campbell
Mervyn Dillon

Some of their 90’s team were fantastic too
Sherwin Campbell wasn't even a good pro for Accy.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:31 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:54 pm

If there is competition with cricket - it comes from football.
What about bobsleigh ?
This user liked this post: forzagranata

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:49 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:12 pm
My dad used to tell me of Richards flying in by helicopter, to play for Rishton. With a huge crowd there to see the master at work. He says he was lbw second ball, but the umpire didn't dare give him out because the crowd would have gone mad.
Anybody there that day?
I was there that day.

I have a few photos somewhere.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:59 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:12 pm
Anybody there that day?
He was late arriving so they got him there by helicopter. He’d missed the first game of the season and they didn’t want him missing the next one. A friend of mine was one of the umpires that day and I can assure you there was no second ball lbw or anything like that. Richards got a good score that day, in the 80s I think.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:28 pm

There was indeed a very big shout for LB in his first over.

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story ... mer-of-viv
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:22 pm

Great post upthecolne

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:25 pm

Robin smith trying to resist the powerful West indies attack while all others were falling around him is one of my earliest proper cricket memories.
I always preferred the series with them over the repetitive and overly long ashes series.

That said, I can't see how their decline matches man u getting relegated to div 2. One has been sad. The other was ******* funny.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:16 pm

I used to love watching the West Indies sides of the 80s/90s. They romanticised cricket if you will. Great players. Always smiling.
'Hit it on the up maaaan'

Fast bowler after fast bowler.

Gus Logie, the best short leg of all time.

Brian Lara seemingly taking on the world on his own.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 am

Hunte - Enfield
Nurse - Ramsbottom
Hall - Accrington
Griffith - Burnley
Gibbs - Burnley

😀 And 2 of them turned out in the Bacup and District Sunday School League! 😂

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:54 pm

timshorts wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:25 pm
Robin smith trying to resist the powerful West indies attack while all others were falling around him is one of my earliest proper cricket memories.
I always preferred the series with them over the repetitive and overly long ashes series.

That said, I can't see how their decline matches man u getting relegated to div 2. One has been sad. The other was ******* funny.
Robin Smith was class against the quicks.

Allan Lamb use to take on the Windies too.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 am

Hunte - Enfield
Nurse - Ramsbottom
Hall - Accrington
Griffith - Burnley
Gibbs - Burnley

I'm pretty sure Sobers played a couple of times in Lancashire League... I'd imagine as a guest pro. Possibly for Rishton, and I think, Enfield or Church.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:09 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:03 pm
I'm pretty sure Sobers played a couple of times in Lancashire League... I'd imagine as a guest pro. Possibly for Rishton, and I think, Enfield or Church.
He played for Tod against Bacup in the Worsley Cup in 1965 against Eli. Also played one league game for each of Church and Colne. Didn’t do much with the bat but took 16 wickets in those three games.

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:15 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:03 pm
A G.Sobers did once turn out at Dill Hall Lane (Enfield) for a representative match against a Lancs League XI - but it was Gerry Sobers, Garfield's younger brother. (He played in the Staffordshire league.)
I was there that day as an 11 yr old cricket fanatic and his signature is in my autograph book, along with (amongst others) Conrad Hunte, Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith, Bobby Simpson, Eddie Barlow, Basil Butcher, Seymour Nurse .........it' s a long list.
Must be worth a bob or two.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:39 pm

West Indies skittled out by Scotland for 181 in 43.5 overs this morning ..... as I write Scotland are 53/1 off 13 overs, needing another 129 off 37 overs !

Unless I'm much mistaken, a defeat means West Indies will not be at the next World Cup .....

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:59 pm
He was late arriving so they got him there by helicopter. He’d missed the first game of the season and they didn’t want him missing the next one. A friend of mine was one of the umpires that day and I can assure you there was no second ball lbw or anything like that. Richards got a good score that day, in the 80s I think.
The Sunday before the Orient game.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:34 pm

121/1 ... needing 61 off 22.2 overs with 9 wickets left ..

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:39 pm

McMullen out but should be a cakewalk for Scotland from here. 57 wanted off 20.4 with 8 in the tent.

theduke
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by theduke » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:15 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:54 pm
Robin Smith was class against the quicks.

Allan Lamb use to take on the Windies too.
Always remember his perfect front foot defensive shot to Ambrose when he bowled us out for 46..

the only problem was it was about 5 secs too late and his leg stump hard cartwheeled half way down to the boundary

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:35 pm

Scotland now need 19 off 9.5 overs with 7 wickets intact .... this will need a classic " Devon Loch " from Scotland to lose it from here !!