Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:22 pm
Why are you being so rude?
He probably upset at being at the back of the long queue of people wanting to apologise and admit you’re right…… oh hang on!
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Leisure

burnmark
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 479 times

Post by burnmark » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:32 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:36 pm
Pace mentions two other names that were bleeped out. He mentions one was too similar to Dyche, which is quite an interesting comment in itself. I assume this is Wilder. The other I have no idea on.
Rooney?

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:34 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:31 pm
He probably upset at being at the back of the long queue of people wanting to apologise and admit you’re right…… oh hang on!
haha top banter haha you tell him martin

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:35 pm

Nothing will ever beat the shitshow that is Sunderland 'Til I Die.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:35 pm

burnmark wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:32 pm
Rooney?
Also assumed one was Wilder (being similar to Dyche). Forgot all about Rooney he was quite short odds at one point as I recall.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:35 pm

burnmark wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:32 pm
Rooney?
Unfortunately it’s impossible to tell from the footage as it’s both bleeped and the mouth blurred to stop lip readers spreading the gossip. As someone else said one of the final three was ‘a bit too much like Sean’ and I think Wilder may be a good shout.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:37 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:34 pm
haha top banter haha you tell him martin
Or maybe he’s just in denial like you said we were.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:48 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:37 pm
Or maybe he’s just in denial like you said we were.
Why are you speaking for Bosscat? He's a big boy, I think he can speak for himself (jury's still out though).

You seem to want VENGANCE!!!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32551 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:57 pm

Just watched it through. Enjoyed it. Not sure what I was expecting but we didn't learn much from it.
This user liked this post: Madpete

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:02 pm

Wonder how many of these things actually get filmed only never to see the light of day because the season was mediocre and not engaging enough, or so poor the club decide against approving its release out of embarrassment.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:03 pm

Any geeks on here ,downloaded on my iPad ,want to send it to our son in Oz ,looked in ICloud ,files ,browse whatever ,but can’t find it ?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:41 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:03 pm
Any geeks on here ,downloaded on my iPad ,want to send it to our son in Oz ,looked in ICloud ,files ,browse whatever ,but can’t find it ?
Where have you downloaded it from? If from Now TV, it stays in the app, you can't actually send it.

Penwortham_Claret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Penwortham_Claret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:45 pm

I believe that Carrick was a strong contender

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:00 pm

Really enjoyed the changing room and pre-match planning content. Could listen to Kompany all day.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:29 pm

Loved Matt telling agents what was what.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:48 pm

Intended to watch the first episode and ended up watching it all

Enjoyed every minute. The whole ALK group came across well - there was decent amount of insight into what goes on behind the scenes - although it was somewhat contrived on occasion

Thought I was over the relegation in 21/22 but found that painful all over again

For anyone neutral - difficult not to be impressed by Alan Pace both on a personal and professional level

As for Vincent - as far as the PL is concerned it's a matter of if/when Pep calls it a day - however, you can see elite clubs in the top European leagues making a move for him in the meantime

We really need to appreciate him for as long as we have him - truly exceptional in every sense
These 2 users liked this post: summitclaret helmclaret

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:53 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 pm
This from your 1st post numbskull....

"Fkin told you all, but nah, everyone was like 'overreaction, let's wait and see'. Front loading the synopsis with ALK, Pace and religion, the comment in the second paragraph about football being a religion itself is a call-back to the reference to religion in the first paragraph, that's gonna be a recurring theme. I told everyone, most people thought I was reading too much into it. Clear as mud what form this doc is going to take. It's not a Burnley FC doc, it's a doc about ALK/Pace/Mormon missionaries. Pace is the subject of the doc, Burnley is an object within it. Not a doc about Burnley, we just happen to be there. I deduced that from the title and trailer alone because my media literacy is apparently better than most people on here, but I expect literally zero people to turn around and say, "you know what Spiral, you were actually right, soz, and yeah, it's embarrassing to see our club used as a vehicle for some low-key religious fluffing"

You know what Spiral "You were wrong" so how about you do everyone a favour and apologise yourself
Why does this guy continuously get away with personal abuse of other posters and our own players?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:53 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:48 pm
Intended to watch the first episode and ended up watching it all

Enjoyed every minute. The whole ALK group came across well - there was decent amount of insight into what goes on behind the scenes
Me too 🙂

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:58 pm

We know pretty much everything that happens: we’ve been invested in it. If this were a Sheffield United documentary, I’d have really enjoyed it. I love this type of thing.

Importantly for me, was just how impressive people like Matt Williams was. So professional and hard working. I hope we can give him some consideration and kudos as the transfer deadline approaches.
These 3 users liked this post: summitclaret RVclaret Bosscat

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6969 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:23 pm

Only watched the first one - I expect it will be more enjoyable as the good times roll. Good watch though, probably not very engaging for non-Burnley fans but that doesn’t really bother me.

As for those asking Spiral to apologise, what on earth does he have to apologise to anyone for?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:39 pm

Few comments about it being rubbish for a neutral so thought I’d check out comments on Twitter from some today

‘Burnley documentary outstanding, Kompany is some gaffer’

‘Whilst I wait for this Caicedo stuff to kick off, started to watch Mission to Burnley. Really enjoying it so far.’

‘The ‘Mission to Burnley’ documentary is one of the best things I’ve seen in ages. Fantastic, no holds barred insight into the club.’

‘I do enjoy these ‘behind the scenes’ football documentaries, and the latest offering from #Sky: ‘Mission to Burnley’, has to be one of the most heartwarming yet.’

‘I’ve started watching “Mission to Burnley” though, the documentary series on Sky, and it’s fascinating so far.’

‘#Missiontoburnley is 10/10! ✅ These documentaries showing behind the scenes of football clubs is quality!’

‘#MissionToBurnley 🎥 10/10 so far. These behind the scenes of clubs/ organisations documentaries are the one’

‘Mission to Burnley done. Enjoyable doc #skydocumentries’
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Paul Waine

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32551 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:39 pm

A few mentions for Matt Williams I see on this thread.

Matt's been at Burnley since the beginning of 2016 having previously worked at Blackpool for the notorious Oystons and then as chief exec at Shrewsbury. He's a fantastic bloke as well as clearly very good at the job he's doing now. Good to see others thought he came across well, I thought he did but I know him really well.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:23 pm
Only watched the first one - I expect it will be more enjoyable as the good times roll. Good watch though, probably not very engaging for non-Burnley fans but that doesn’t really bother me.

As for those asking Spiral to apologise, what on earth does he have to apologise to anyone for?
For implying people who couldn’t see that this was obviously a vehicle for the Mormon church were lacking critical faculties. You yourself called those who couldn’t see the obvious purpose of the documentary ‘incredibly naive’.
Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:23 pm

One of the main aspects of Mormonism is spreading the word of their religion to expand its membership. That is not a secret. So if you don’t think that a documentary about Alan Pace titled ‘Mission to Burnley’ which features numerous religiously themed clips in a short trailer and is described by Pace himself as ‘At its heart it’s a story of family, faith, friendship, and of course football’ is in part a vehicle by Pace to spread the word of Mormonism then I believe you are either incredibly naive or in some form of denial. I think most on here fall into the latter.

Anyway, we really are going round in circles and as I’ve said I’m very much looking forward to the documentary, because as well as promoting Mormonism, which it inevitably will, it will also promote the town and the club. And a documentary featuring this superb season should be a great watch. I’m just very confident in my feelings about this and will happily revisit the thread in September regardless of if I’m right or wrong.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:45 pm

Every single person who demands an apology of me makes an admission that they watched the doc with vigilant eyes (which is what I originally suggested people should do, operating under the general feeling, "keep this religious shite out of my Burnley"); they watched it in the hope religion didn't feature as prominent as it otherwise might have, but not because they care for the avoidance of religiosity per se, no, but rather because, having stated their positions in public, and driven by a quasi-religious sentiment I describe on this thread which compels people to seek out 'heretics' (this is still evident in the latest demand for a 'confession'), their ego became invested in the proof of their argument being found in the doc, meaning they consumed the doc with exactly same guard with which I suggested people should consume it, keeping at the forefront of one's mind that a Burnley FC documentary ought first and foremost to be about Burnley FC, not its owners. This, folks, is what being right looks like. It gets so tiring, honestly. None of you would survive a day in my life.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:49 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 pm
For implying people who couldn’t see that this was obviously a vehicle for the Mormon church were lacking critical faculties. You yourself called those who couldn’t see the obvious purpose of the documentary ‘incredibly naive’.
I didn’t say that was the ‘obvious purpose’ of the documentary. Re-read the post you quoted. In fact having read back my post after watching the first episode I’ll stand by what I actually said which is the documentary is ‘in part a vehicle by Pace to spread the word of Mormonism’. That said, his faith didn’t feature as a theme as much as I thought it would (based on just 1 episode but also comments on here on the remaining 3).

Back to apologies though, I can’t recall reading anything that Spiral has written that would warrant an apology. Maybe an admission that he was in part wrong if that’s so important, but an apology? In fact I’d class some of the abuse he gets on here as nothing short of bullying despite the pelters I’ll get from this and no doubt the fact that he won’t want me to appear to be defending his corner.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:51 pm

It's not bullying if you enjoy receiving it. Then it's just generic masochism.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:49 pm
I didn’t say that was the ‘obvious purpose’ of the documentary. Re-read the post you quoted. In fact having read back my post after watching the first episode I’ll stand by what I actually said which is the documentary is ‘in part a vehicle by Pace to spread the word of Mormonism’. That said, his faith didn’t feature as a theme as much as I thought it would (based on just 1 episode but also comments on here on the remaining 3).

Back to apologies though, I can’t recall reading anything that Spiral has written that would warrant an apology. Maybe an admission that he was in part wrong if that’s so important, but an apology? In fact I’d class some of the abuse he gets on here as nothing short of bullying despite the pelters I’ll get from this and no doubt the fact that he won’t want me to appear to be defending his corner.
Just admit you’ve both had absolute howlers on this and accept the loss. Everyone gets stuff wrong and hopefully you learn in future debates not to be so belittling to others who don’t share your view.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:53 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:51 pm
It's not bullying if you enjoy receiving it. Then it's just generic masochism.
Yes you don’t seem to mind a scuffle so fair enough, some of the ‘ganging up’ on here is quite unpleasant though.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:55 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:52 pm
Just admit you’ve both had absolute howlers on this and accept the loss. Everyone gets stuff wrong and hopefully you learn in future debates not to be so belittling to others who don’t share your view.
I'm right though. I said 'get this religious shite out of my Burnley doc', and lo and behold, there's only a little bit of it. Behold my power!!!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:56 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:52 pm
If you think my arguments were belittling then I wonder what you think of those arguing against them?

As for being wrong, I can’t recall everything I posted on here and don’t have the time right now to go back as I’m on my way out to play soccer. But I don’t think the post Martin quoted was inaccurate based on the first episode of the doc.

I did however admit that I was pleasantly surprised that there was less of a ‘faith theme’ than I expected, so I was wrong about that and I really don’t care less about admitting so.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:58 pm

chekhov wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:23 pm
Sadly not available on my Now TV sport subscription 🙁.
I've just signed up on NOW TV Sport again for 12 months, £19.99/month. First thing I did was check if it included "Mission to Burnley." As you say, no, not available. It seems like I might have to spend another £9.99 for a month's subscription to NOW Entertainment. From the comments from those who have seen it already it sounds like it will be £9.99 very well spent.

Exciting times.

UTC

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:59 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
I didn’t say that was the ‘obvious purpose’ of the documentary.
Ok then, obvious theme.
Rileybobs wrote:

I don’t think I’m jumping to any conclusions. The title of the film and the trailer quite obviously point to the film having a theme of faith/religion, and I can’t believe how many people are falling over themselves to not see this or admit to it. It’s quite hilarious.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:02 pm

Haha, a theme (being implied) is not the same thing as a purpose. Those are two different concepts.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:05 pm

Themes of The Lord Of The Rings: good v evil, journeying, hope in darkness

Purpose of The Lord Of The Rings: entertainment

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:05 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:02 pm
Haha, a theme (being implied) is not the same thing as a purpose. Those are two different concepts.
Yep and neither of them turned out to be true!

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:07 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:05 pm
Yep and neither of them turned out to be true!
But at least you've climbed down from what you said a moment ago when you misrepresented what Rileybobs said. Do you wish to apologise for what you originally said?

Also, demonstrate to me how a theme is not implied by the title and original trailer. Whether that theme is present is an altogether different matter, but have a shot at convincing me that a theme wasn't implied by the title and trailer.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:10 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:07 pm
But at least you've climbed down from what you said a moment ago when you misrepresented what Rileybobs said. Do you wish to apologise for what you originally said?

Also, demonstrate to me how a theme is not implied by the title and original trailer. Whether that theme is present is an altogether different matter, but have a shot at convincing me that a theme wasn't implied by the title and trailer.
He should. As should that Bosscat.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:16 pm

Just watched the first episode. Really enjoyable. Excellent production. Provided a totally different and intriguing perspective. Pace came across well. The religious element was almost non-existent.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:21 pm

We should have won that league by about 30 points

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:58 pm
I've just signed up on NOW TV Sport again for 12 months, £19.99/month. First thing I did was check if it included "Mission to Burnley." As you say, no, not available. It seems like I might have to spend another £9.99 for a month's subscription to NOW Entertainment. From the comments from those who have seen it already it sounds like it will be £9.99 very well spent.

Exciting times.

UTC
You’ve done well to get it for £20! I only managed £26 for 12 months. Okay, an extra tenner for the entertainment channel? I’ll probably go for that too.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 pm

Kompany comes off incredibly well in it, what a man.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat helmclaret

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:43 pm

I’m really enjoying it.

There’s a team of professionals backing Pace which is reassuring.

Kompany is a special guy.

If anything I like it for the fact it’s a summary of one of the most enjoyable seasons for me.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:47 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:07 pm

We’ve been through this months ago. You were wrong, get over it.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:06 pm

Firstly, regardless of the usual guff on here there was a good dose of religion in it. The two stand out moments for me was when Alan Pace's wife said something along the lines of 'I spoke to God and asked him that if we weren't destined to be in the Prim...eeeeeer ....ship what was the plan', which is somewhat symptomatic of the nihilism of the devoutely religious.

And the second, was when Alan and AN other laughed and admitted the Vincent Kompany thought they were just 'a bunch of weirdos' intruding on the Prim...eeeeeer ....ship'. He went on to say that unfortunately that seemed to be the general view of too many.

Well quite Alan....!

But in those moments the Pace family comes across very well - very human and somewhat odds with the kind of people I've met who has his background in finance and investment banking.

In fact, ALK come across as slightly bumbling weirdos on a religious journey of sorts but very human. It's clear Alan Pace is very emotionally engaged with the whole project and he makes compelling watching as someone who is struggling but clinging to a faith that belief without reason gives you.

And in many ways that is what he said of himself and to some extent that is where the religious aspect of it becomes fascinating.

And then comes in Vincent Kompany who in some ways seems super natural - cuts through everything, takes charge in the board meeting and outlines the plan and pretty much paints a picture of what subsequently happened. You could say he was like a latter day messiah that cuts through the bumbling humanity of ALK and lights up the whole show.

For Burnley fans, it was compelling watching ably narrated by Simon Jordan and Jim White's comments on the situation as it unfolds.

I really enjoyed it.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:08 pm

You can see that someone who’s played the game and is considered a great of the game, who then applys himself as a humble individual in terms of no massive ego.. judges you on work , ethic attitutude, output and behaviour is going to be very big in football.. holding onto Vincent is going to be harder , but also to some degree easier as long as the clubs values and ambition echoes his own…. Also the ruthlessness about what is needed and what is the right way to go about it (barnes) also reflects well..

Just reaffirms what we thought we already knew about the man

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:20 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it. All 4 episodes.
A lot of content crammed in, we're used to series getting padded out so much these days.

Brought back some good memories and nice to recognise quite a few people in it.
These 3 users liked this post: helmclaret RVclaret bfcjg

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:22 pm

Kompany has a knack of simplifying everything he does.

The bit where he explains the late filing of the accounts to the players in that meeting was brilliant.

Cornwallclaret
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Cornwallclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 pm

Watched the 1st episode…smiled all the way through….I love my club

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:34 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:59 pm
Ok then, obvious theme.
I didn’t even say obvious theme though. I

I said - ‘The title of the film and the trailer quite obviously point to the film having a theme of faith/religion’ - which part of that statement is incorrect? The title, trailer and first episode of the doc (which is all I’ve seen) all have a theme of faith/religion. I never to my knowledge claimed that was the theme of the documentary.

It seems like some people are trying so hard to prove others wrong they’re completely misrepresenting what was said, not usually your style either!

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:35 pm

I also loved when a alk board member challenged VK on £7m spent on foster as a waste of Money and VK just retorted that Foster would be the cheapest no9 in he premier league…. Just shows an ability to simplify and see things for what they are. If foster and i know some will feel its a big if.. foster scores 10 goals next season his value will more than double.. VK has applied a real business mentality to his transfer dealings some will work some wont , but i will bet the nett positive far outweighs any loss