ARTICLE: We have to learn from it

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: We have to learn from it

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:07 pm

Mauricio Pochettino & Vincent Kompany on today's game

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/we-have-to-learn-from-it

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Re: ARTICLE: We have to learn from it

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:13 pm

Just watched VK’s interview,sorry but what a load of waffle,implying a player making a bad descission to give a pen away was why we lost ,he made more bad decisions today than all of the team put together ,I’m afraid he’s turning in Fat Frank 2nd Edition.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:09 pm

I heard in VKs post match interview on radio lancs that a player should not go to ground like Vitinho did today in the penalty area.But Al - Dakhil did against Newcastle, Bayer did against Luton, it could easily have been 3 penalties not two. Something Dyche instilled in his players very successfully. We amazingly gave very few penalties away considering the amount of back to the wall defending we did.

When do we expect our players to learn these basic principles because they don’t seem to be at the moment. Like Ramsey gifts a goal by losing possession in our half against Newcastle and then does exactly the same again today.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:17 pm

Don’t appear to be learning anything very quickly. The repetition is beginning to sound a bit Dyche like.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:33 pm

What VK has to learn is that you don't make wholesale changes to a team that just won our first game of the season a few days ago

Really worried that he just hasn't got the ideas to take this team through the season avoiding relegation
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:41 pm

We have to learn from it

Well whenever you're ready Vincent.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:48 pm

Terrible this from Vincent.

It’s been 90 minutes since his last win now. Not good enough.

Well, for some.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 770 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:15 pm

The good news is we’re through the horrible starting fixtures and in our next 10, there are only really trips to Arsenal and possibly Brighton that you’d look at and write off.

We’ve got Brentford, Bournemouth, Wolves, and Fulham away, and Crystal Palace, West Ham, Sheff Utd, and Everton at home.

If we’re still talking about learning during that run I think it’s fair to say we’ll be knackered.

Get a settled bloody side together, start playing into the centre forward and releasing the wide men over the top instead of circulating suicidal passes around our own half, and we stand a chance.
These 5 users liked this post: DCWat RVclaret longsidepies Stayingup Wo Didi

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:20 pm

To be fair, he's always said that we shouldn't expect anything against the 'top sides' while these players get used to playing his system and this league.
We've taken 4 points from 2 away games against what is considered to be our competition to avoid relegation.

I accept that man u were considered to be there for the taking and Chelsea have been dire up to their previous 2 games, but at the start of the season, from these 2 teams we would not have expected to take any points.

It could be argued that so far, we are on plan.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:33 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:20 pm
To be fair, he's always said that we shouldn't expect anything against the 'top sides' while these players get used to playing his system and this league.
That may be true but it doesn't mean we should've just thrown those games away. We've not given ourselves the best possible chance to get something from these games. An extra point or two or a better goal difference. Instead we've looked nervous and confused and we've capitulated.

So yes, good opposition but we've made it easier for them.

Kompany has spoken about wanting supporters to make the Turf like "hell." But on the pitch it's been tepid at best and teams can stroll from the Turf with the points without breaking a sweat.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:49 pm

He still doesn’t seem to know his preferred formation let alone his best starting Xi
Trafford is no better than BPF and yet he is an automatic start. Muric must be looking to move away to get some games

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:54 pm

In this isn't break I think the time might have come Vincent to either change the style of play somewhat or change the goalkeeper.

He won't want to do either but it's becoming necessary.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:03 pm

kompany has just got us promoted and proved his worth. remarkable achievement.
he said it would take time to adjust. with is record in the game as a genuinely top flight footballer, it sounds plainly ridiculous to hear supporters trying to educate him on tactics and selections.
Also, these crazy comparisons with sean dyche's tenure is irrelevant.
seemingly dyche was happily forgotten, yesterdays man. But on the back of a few defeats there's sentimental nostalgia .
Burnley managers are always restricted by comparison to other clubs in this division where money is concerned.
shove pep in a bottom three 2nd division club and you'd soon see he has no magic wand.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:31 pm

Agreed, but all a lot of fans are doing is expressing surprise that such a brilliant manager appears to us mortals to be making some strange choices or the same errors are continuing to be made on this learning curve.

I am confident though that we will improve enough to stay up this season.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:38 pm

northeastclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:31 pm
Agreed, but all a lot of fans are doing is expressing surprise that such a brilliant manager appears to us mortals to be making some strange choices or the same errors are continuing to be made on this learning curve.

slagging him off is what a lot of fans are doing. you can wrap it up as "expressing surprise " but its gibberish in my opinion.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:27 am

The problem is you can't keep chopping and changing the team because you need a settled team on the pitch, i really like Vincent and hope he can turn things around because in his interview you can see on his face he is under pressure.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:24 am

The sad thing is, despite the thumpings early doors, we seem to have regressed.
Those earlier games we played with confidence on the ball all over the pitch. It was naivety that hurt us.
Today that confidence disappeared. There was nothing pro active from the back 5, very little more from midfield, although Berge had a good 1st half, and the forwards were starved.
We have to be a lot braver, a team allows the press while they search for opportunities to break and get in behind, that involves moving the ball forward. The dynamism of last season has gone, and despite the superior opposition, if we don't get that dynamism back we will be shafted.
For all the don't dive in in the box.........it wasn't one players bad decision that cost us, it was our very poor use of the ball.
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:36 pm

I know this season is hurting, and its in stark contrast to last season, but I’d like you all to consider the following before even considering if VK should stay in position:

We went up a season earlier than expected
We’ve had to replace more players than desired or designed to as a result of said promotion
Having a much changed side from last season was maybe the one negative knock on effect we couldnt do anything about given our unprecedented success last season
We have one of the most exciting squads in my lifetime
VK and Pace’s strategy is a project; of which it may be we have to accept that one step back at times to go two steps forward…
Is still progress.

VK is perhaps the best manager we’ll ever have

If any of that doesnt tell you the whole thing just needs time Im not really sure what will.

Anyone complaining at this point that we havent reverted to type and defended the 6 yard box for 82 mins a-la-Dycheball once 1-0 up has an extremely short term view and I for one, do not want to go back to us ‘stealing’ an existence in the prem with poor quality, low intent, low block ‘anti football’

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:50 pm

Don't pass back get the ball out wide to.our pacey wingers and we score

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:31 pm

I think Cork needs to come back in.
This user liked this post: DCWat

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:43 pm

northeastclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:31 pm

There's been many managers got teams promoted from the championship but ended up not brilliant, he's done nothing yet in his career to suggest he's a brilliant manager.
He started well in a lower league, the opponent's have stepped up a level and so far VK hasn't.
Time will tell, let's hope he ends up brilliant though

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:20 pm

I think VK needs to learn too-particularly with team selection. For me he is becoming the PL's Ranieri ie the tinkerer. I have yet to name the starting 11 this season-infact been well off every game. With Dyche forecasting the team was fairly elementary, once you knew who was injured