Let’s make Turf Moor a fortress again…

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Re: Let’s make Turf Moor a fortress again…

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:22 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:52 am
Would it be such a huge logistical feat to put away fans in the lower beehole? And simply open up the CFS to be a proper home end rather than the isolated mess it is at present ? Surely people could be re-located easily enough from that section ? Though capacity may be too small in the JML ?
That would never happen because of the hospitality. The owners are boxed in with that one, no pun intended.

The solution to me is, reduce away capacity to 2,170 (minimum 10% requirement), split it between the corner of the CFS and the corner of the BLS, 1000+ in each. Use turnstiles 1-4 for the BLS. Give them that catering booth, exit gate and toilets. Coaches could operate as of now. Move the CFS divide across to allow for 3,000 Clarets, make it safe standing and get 4,000 Clarets in there.

That would create an atmosphere more akin to a Burnley away game, with away supporters in the corner like at most clubs these days.

Will of course require some minor building work, negotiations with safety officers and negotiations with the sadly displaced BLS fans. But it needs to be done.
These 2 users liked this post: AlargeClaret evensteadiereddie

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:45 am

No point the club going to all the trouble and expense to start trying to move and rehouse away fans (as well as the displaced home fans) when the home fans can't be arsed to sing and make any noise at all. At least when I watch it on TV you usually get some noise out of the away end that makes a bit of atmosphere.

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am

Kompany himself said atmosphere is mutual, both fans and team lifting each other up, specifically that from his experience, good atmospheres are created from positive momentum in a game. Given our recent form it's not surprising the atmosphere falls flat at times.

The idea of being 3-0 down whilst having someone banging a drum nearby and trying to coax me into singing a song would just annoy me. But maybe at 0-0 when the crowd loses a bit of energy and team lose momentum maybe it would help a bit.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am

I can see the logic in having the CFS for home fans only but I'm not so sure it'll help as much as some think. Having away fans in there close to the Burnley fans is often a big part of the atmosphere.

Bobzuruncle
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Bobzuruncle » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:01 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:54 pm
Agree with the sentiment but would prefer a line like “ most owners are not interested in 'legacy fans' (as they refer to them) because they NAIVELY THINK THEY make very little money from them”.

I tend to think it is the legacy fans who create value by driving their team to achieve big things, e.g. our promotion last season which may be a bad example given the winning margin but our support, away in particular, helped drive them over the line.

That is why the traditional “legacy clubs” with a hard core fanbase, many of whom would die for their club, tend to do well these days.

A few outliers like Brentford and Brighton, achieved with very clever and wealthy owners, doesn’t disprove that.

So, to get back on topic, I feel the legacy fans are the key, and our owners need to nurture them which, to be fair, they seem to be trying to do. As I wrote on the other thread the way to do that is to maximise the CFS, shuffle the away fans somewhere else with a lower allocation, tell the safety authorities to stuff their seat sale restrictions and try to make that end like our away end always is, as it will be on Saturday.
I guess my family are legacy fans (with ST for 40 yrs and 2 sons who are in their late 20s with STs for 20yrs) but I certainly don’t feel like any of us are being nurtured, quite the opposite in fact. Our match day experience at the ground before, during and after the game has deteriorated over the last few years and my general feeling (so not necessarily true) is that the new fans (since PL) are being prioritised to create extra value (revenue) - I understand this is needed so am not very vocal on the issue but it doesn’t stop us getting that little bit more disaffected with each nibble.

Having said that I think the media team are excellent and could be used more to get the front line team of manager and players
helping create a more inclusive and passionate feeling amongst the fans - there must be plenty of ideas there but why not make more of the players atmosphere in the dressing room by showing their own passion, singing their songs and maybe making a few up that might even be taken up. That may not be entirely practical in current situation (or indeed any situation) but we know they enjoy it from the videos last year and they really resonated so there must be some scope there. I did agree with someone above who said that the turnover of players this year hasn’t helped as they haven’t exactly set the stadium on light the same as AZ, NT and MB last year but those who have shown the most, ie Koleosho and Foster, have had the chants and been taken in. I think as the fans need need to encourage more on the pitch so too the club needs to encourage the fans.

Finally the constant warnings over the tannoy during the game about behaviour really doesn’t help fans create an aggressive atmosphere. I know they are needed probably for compliance or some kind of insurance but why not remind/warn folks as they go into ground and leave it at that.

ANASS
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by ANASS » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:47 am

Pickles wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am
I can see the logic in having the CFS for home fans only but I'm not so sure it'll help as much as some think. Having away fans in there close to the Burnley fans is often a big part of the atmosphere.
I agree the interaction between home and away fans in the same stand should make for a cracking atmosphere. The best case scenario is that we just cancel each other out.

We need to have a larger amount of home fans who want to create an atmosphere in the same section. Putting the away fans in a more awkward area to create an atmosphere, but still close to the cricket field stand would hugely help the home advantage.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:41 pm

Results are the key to atmosphere. Not just for Burnley, but for every team in the country. I remember going to Liverpool away for the first time and looking forward to witnessing the famous Anfield atmosphere that everyone talks about. There was literally zero atmosphere for 95% of the game.

However, I do feel our patient build-up play has a negative impact on the atmosphere. We'll get the ball up the pitch and get into a good position (where the atmosphere would naturally build, you might get up off your seat etc), then because our tactics are to prioritise possession over everything else, we'll pass it back.

Now, we did the exact same thing last season, but because the quality of the opposition wasn't as great, we didn't need to pass it back as often and could take more chances. Plus, we won. We won a lot.

Results are the key to atmosphere, but I do feel our style stifles it to a degree.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:07 pm

I'm not convinced turfing people out of the end of the Bob Lord and sticking them into the CFS will help the atmosphere, to be honest.

Jellybean
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Jellybean » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:28 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:07 pm
I'm not convinced turfing people out of the end of the Bob Lord and sticking them into the CFS will help the atmosphere, to be honest.
Picturing this scenario is giving me a right chuckle!

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:37 pm

FeedTheArf wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:41 pm
Results are the key to atmosphere. Not just for Burnley, but for every team in the country. I remember going to Liverpool away for the first time and looking forward to witnessing the famous Anfield atmosphere that everyone talks about. There was literally zero atmosphere for 95% of the game.

However, I do feel our patient build-up play has a negative impact on the atmosphere. We'll get the ball up the pitch and get into a good position (where the atmosphere would naturally build, you might get up off your seat etc), then because our tactics are to prioritise possession over everything else, we'll pass it back.

Now, we did the exact same thing last season, but because the quality of the opposition wasn't as great, we didn't need to pass it back as often and could take more chances. Plus, we won. We won a lot.

Results are the key to atmosphere, but I do feel our style stifles it to a degree.
Spot on is that.

Not that I’d criticise the style we try to play. I wouldn’t change it.
It’s just that is not conducive to creating a good atmosphere.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:43 pm

KRBFC wrote:
This doesn’t add up though because we were winning against Chelsea for most of the first half and there was no atmosphere just moans and groans. I thought we were excellent first half against United but it was still very flat.
Absolutely correct

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:45 pm

It’s a bit embarrassing the club feels this is necessary bearing in mind our poor start . Must say the seemingly endless announcer /tannoy calls for sitting down /don’t offend anyone / text this number if someone offers you a hand job etc etc doesn’t really set the scene for witholding a siege.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:48 pm

FeedTheArf wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:41 pm

My general view is that fans should support the team regardless, and arguably even more, when losing/up against it.

So style shouldn’t really matter. But I do agree with this. I can accept the passing it around the back but when in decent positions I would like to see us prioritise making chances/taking risks over possession sometimes. And FK’s / corners I’d like to see delivered in to the box instead of a short pass backwards / short & wasted.

There’s a fair criticism of the team not doing their bit to create an atmosphere imo.

shulgin
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by shulgin » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:20 pm

Lock the CFS cokeheads in rather than leaving en masse after halftime when we inevitably concede three or four and get that marching powder off to good effect to sing fast renditions of Burnley songs.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:37 pm

The discussion on support and atmosphere is surprisingly complex. I think that's why there's so much whataboutery around it. You have to consider the demographics for a start. There are personas for people who will support the team by being loud and vocal. I don't want to be to stereotypical, but you'd expect these would be people attending in groups and have had a few beers pre-match. Then there's people who support more in a visual way by just being there. Yes the players want the noisy ones, but don't underestimate the impact of people who turn up week in week out and stay until the end no matter the outcome.

For me the club have a point about the atmosphere. Whether the way they've communicated it well is another matter. From a home point of view we seem to have failed on both counts. The vast amount of empty seats in several games for the last 20 minutes or so has been disappointing. The lack of noise has been worse though. Fans on the defensive keep referring to the scorelines, but the atmosphere against Man Utd when the game was close and we didn't get what we deserved was awful. Similar in the first halves against Chelsea and Spurs. We are a town team playing against some of the biggest clubs in the world. As supporters we're meant to help the team and it isn't conditional. No one is expecting us to sing non-stop from start to finish if we get tanked every game, but as fanbase we can do a lot more than we are at the moment.

I'm one of those who doesn't feel you can manufacture an atmosphere. It has to come from the supporters. Arsenal and Palace are examples in recent years where supporters have come together to produce an ultra type sub-culture who have massively improved the atmosphere at both grounds. It can be done, but it requires a level of loyalty and relentlessness. A group like this who agree to stay the full game and try and keep the atmosphere going regardless of what is on the pitch would massively help and it would see the rest of the ground join in more. It needs fresh songs, not the latest one doing the rounds at every other club with our players name sledge-hammered in. It certainly needs to see the back of songs that glorify deaths, or trying to use the latest high profile rapist/paedophile weaponised against the opposition. As an older fan who attends game with his kids, I aint joining in with your Mason Greenwood chants and I dare say I speak for a lot supporters.

I'm not sure where a group like this can come from. Most, if not all, of the supporters groups we have probably don't meet the desired demographic. So it would need to be something new. It's probably not that hard to set get going. It just needs a bunch of mates who are passionate about getting behind the team and bringing together like minded fans. Get some new songs going and meet before games. Could be as simple as starting with the outdoor fanzone. Get people used to hearing the songs, then take them in the ground. Tell people on social media where you'll be pre-match. Even go old school and hand out a few flyers at the game.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:45 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:42 pm
Hmmm…. not sure only drawing games at the start of last season is the same as being tubbed conceding fours and fives. The problem is the game is usually over by the last quarter, if we were actually still in the game the atmosphere would be better.
'Still in the game' is the point, hardly anyone left early last season - this season, it can be 1/3 empty when the final whistle goes.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:55 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:45 pm
'Still in the game' is the point, hardly anyone left early last season - this season, it can be 1/3 empty when the final whistle goes.
The road situation around Burnley this season may have contributed to the numbers leaving early on a bad day

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:04 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:37 pm

I'm one of those who doesn't feel you can manufacture an atmosphere. It has to come from the supporters.
I wish someone would tell the club just that. The drum idea was an absolute nonsense and the email (which I didn't receive) was utterly embarrassing. Whoever has been responsible for this has absolutely no understanding of football and football fans.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:04 pm
I wish someone would tell the club just that. The drum idea was an absolute nonsense and the email (which I didn't receive) was utterly embarrassing. Whoever has been responsible for this has absolutely no understanding of football and football fans.
I agree about the drummer. I’m not a fan of them at all. Personally I praise the club for calling out what is an obvious issue and asking for ideas to resolve it. I just hope they implement some of whatever ideas they now receive (not read all this thread as have been super busy at work recently but sure there’s some good ones).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:11 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:09 pm
I agree about the drummer. I’m not a fan of them at all. Personally I praise the club for calling out what is an obvious issue and asking for ideas to resolve it. I just hope they implement some of whatever ideas they now receive (not read all this thread as have been super busy at work recently but sure there’s some good ones).
Do you actually think the club should be implementing anything? If so, that's where we strongly disagree, it's not their role to resolve anything in terms of atmosphere other than joining other clubs with a safe standing area etc.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:12 pm

KRBFC wrote:
This doesn’t add up though because we were winning against Chelsea for most of the first half and there was no atmosphere just moans and groans. I thought we were excellent first half against United but it was still very flat.
This argument has been used a few times on here and gets ignored. While I have argued it myself I have to say though it would help get the crowd going if they saw one or two crunching tackles from our lads during these games before the opposition take over. That's not happening and while it's not in the game of most of them that cannot be used as an excuse.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:11 pm
Do you actually think the club should be implementing anything? If so, that's where we strongly disagree, it's not their role to resolve anything in terms of atmosphere other than joining other clubs with a safe standing area etc.
Well I agree it’s fans role to create the atmosphere. I also agree with the club that it’s been rubbish (“fallen flat”) this season.

I’m one that’d sing for 90 minutes if others would sing with me… and a lot of the time I sing in my own :lol: so I’d just like to see the atmosphere improve by whatever route, whoever’s role it is to make that happen, and if that means the club chipping in with things to help out then I’d credit them for it.

After VK said that he wanted us to make Turf Moor hell, I really thought we’d all rise to the challenge and give the boys the best atmosphere in a long time on their return to the Premier League.

For various reasons that hasn’t happened and I accept results, style, etc have played their part but I’d have still have hoped for better.

I honestly don’t see much being put forward from a supporters group/FAB (appreciate that’s a contentious point in itself but not intended to be in this context). I saw a few posts saying the Arsenal atmosphere has improved immeasurably. Not sure why or how as don’t watch a lot of football other than Burnley, but I’d imagine that came from supporter-led initiatives?! So in the absence of our supporter groups addressing the issue I don’t really see an issue with the club tackling it head on and offering support to implement ideas/suggestions?

There are a lot of things I think they could do to support. Rail seating being the most obvious and an area the club seem to have dragged their feet on way too much for my liking. But there are others. I’d like to think it’s a team effort and if the club work together with the fans, they might respond.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:59 pm

I’m guessing Arsenals atmosphere has improved because they’re now challenging for the top?

I’m also guessing that St James Park is no longer the toxic atmosphere it was because they’re now well up there and winning games.

See a pattern??

jos
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by jos » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:01 pm

I know that ship has sailed, but Tella would have helped.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:59 pm

I’m also guessing that St James Park is no longer the toxic atmosphere it was because they’re now well up there and winning games.

Unbelievably toxic at Newcastle for some time. Must have been a horrible place for them to play.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:24 pm

About 10 years ago I was talking to an Everton fan in the pub about atmospheres in the Premier league.
He went everywhere over 40 years or so.

He said 'The only decent atmosphere on a regular basis comes from promoted clubs that are really excited for being there'.

He wasn't wrong, even though we are a promoted side, it's not new to any of us.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:28 pm

Simple solution, make tickets more affordable for local real fans to lessen the amount of tourist fans. Stop ripping fans off with shite beer (when they can get a beer that is)

ClaretsPadiham
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 pm

The best atomosphere we have ever had was promotion season under Coyle, great attacking football.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:05 pm

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 pm
The best atomosphere we have ever had was promotion season under Coyle, great attacking football.
Which wasn’t a patch on what we were served up last season.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:58 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:28 pm
Simple solution, make tickets more affordable for local real fans to lessen the amount of tourist fans. Stop ripping fans off with shite beer (when they can get a beer that is)
The big problem with that, as Rovers found, is that when money gets tight fans don't like ticket increases, which is a necessary evil if you want to compete with other clubs.

shulgin
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by shulgin » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:30 pm

Maybe we pay for some secret singers and place them in strategic points round the ground. Disguise them in some Stone Island and Adidas Originals trainers and get them to be enthusiastic. Singing for 90mins. Perhaps get some songwriters in too to create some originals rather than the oldies and rehashed songs from other clubs.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:33 pm

Away fans will always make more noise than home fans, the advantage of being closely contained in a small section of a ground is a great help.
Burnley fans away have, and will always be louder than on the Turf.
Results and form would help, but the biggest issue is all seating stadia.
The club saw an opportunity of trying to get the CFS as a home hub, but the selling of tickets for this area is hit and miss.
As others have mentioned, banning fans in JHL from standing hasn't helped at all.

The club are trying to come up with solutions, which is a positive, even if it's too little too late, but safe standing would be the best way to generate some atmosphere. Not just for Burnley, but for every club.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:00 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:28 pm
The turnover of players certainly hasn’t helped. I don’t know about others but I find it hard to feel a connection with these players - there’s so many new faces and with all the chopping and changing we hardly get to build an understanding of them. I suppose we were in a similar situation at the beginning of last season yet the atmosphere at Hudds was fantastic so I’m not sure what the difference is this time.
I think that's a really important factor, actually. The fans absolutely loved that team from last season and had a real connection with it. You heard people saying they've been watching Burnley for X number of years and that was the most enjoyable season they could remember.

So it's probably not unnatural for some people to feel a slight sense of loss and also feeling a little bit cheated that they never got to see that team, which did so well last season, have a crack at the PL.

It must be very difficult for the new players who have come in, who are trying to find their feet and build that connection with the fans but have been thrown in at the deep end basically and are having a pretty tough time of it.

I think the team will get better and the atmosphere will improve as a result, but I don't think we'll see anything like last season again.

Job number one in the short term is to stop letting games run away from us if we concede.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:36 am

shulgin wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:30 pm
Maybe we pay for some secret singers and place them in strategic points round the ground. Disguise them in some Stone Island and Adidas Originals trainers and get them to be enthusiastic. Singing for 90mins. Perhaps get some songwriters in too to create some originals rather than the oldies and rehashed songs from other clubs.
I was thinking this the other day, have we ever come up with an original chant? We are the Longside maybe?