Marrakesh - do's and dont's please

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Marrakesh - do's and dont's please

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:21 am

Going in January just for a week.

Been to Morocco before but not Marrakesh. I know it's going to be busy and bustling and lots of people trying to get you to buy this and that but if you have been before, what are the absolute must see's and thing to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Re: Marrakesh - do's and dont's please

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:36 am

Just say no.
We were there and got drawn in by a friendly local who offered to show us the way to our hotel.
We were having a meeting there at six and were in danger of running late.
We knew we could only have been ten minutes walking distance away max but, after a few minutes of passing tat stall after tat stall and noticing a few knowing nods between our "guide" and the stallholders, we realised we were being done.
I stopped the guy and said that was it we were off and, yup you guessed it, he asked for money.
Thoroughly hacked off, I told him he could do one and he was getting a bit shirty.
I'd heard of this trick before so I thought I'd give it a go - I pointed into the distance and said loudly, "Oh, there's the police, maybe they can help us." and started walking off towards where I'd pointed.
The bloke disappeared in a split second.
Daft thing is, I'd have happily paid him to get us back to the hotel in time.
Just be careful of anybody who is not 100% official offering you anything.
Having said that, it's an incredible place, you'll have a great time.
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

pompeyclaret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by pompeyclaret » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 am

We got a guide to show us around, would get a recommended one! Was pretty cheap and made other people hassle you less.

Careful with the roads, which are beyond bonkers, bikes heavy loaded and with kids, donkeys, cars, everything and lanes mean nothing.

Also ensure you have cash as many places won't take card and cash machines aren't that easy to find.

Food very cheap but confirm prices if not mentioned, and have cash! Remember no booze there either.

Best experience we did was actually a camel ride just outside, at sunset, but lots to see and do.

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:05 am

To start with: I've been 4/5 times and have never had any problems. I love it there, you'll have a wonderful time.

Do's: walk around and get lost in the Jemaa el Fna - there are numerous little alleys and souks tucked away. Eat dinner upstairs on the terrace at NOMAD restaurant then go to Cafe Zeitoun for a mint tea and pastries overlooking the main square in the evening. Visit the Jewish quarter, Saadian Tombs and Le Jardin Majorelle. Do buy an orange juice in the main square but ask for it to be freshly squeezed in front of you.

Don't: allow a local (usually a kid) to give you directions, they'll usually lead you on a wild good chase and then demand you give them a load of cash for the privilege. The signage within the Souks can also be tampered with - use Apple/Google maps instead. Don't take pictures of any religious ceremonies/inside any mosques you may walk past. I wouldn't recommend you eat at one of the many tables in the main square - the price is hiked up for tourists and they don't let you order from the menu, as much as you request to.

If you have time; book a two day trip into the atlas mountains to stay with a berber tribe in the desert. It's a magical experience even if you spend hours in a minibus to get there (and riding a camel at the other end may bruise your knackers!).

I'll add more when I think of it!

Enjoy!
These 3 users liked this post: Guller Bull the_magic_rat evensteadiereddie

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:12 am

LDNBFC87 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:05 am
To start with: I've been 4/5 times and have never had any problems. I love it there, you'll have a wonderful time.

Do's: walk around and get lost in the Jemaa el Fna - there are numerous little alleys and souks tucked away. Eat dinner upstairs on the terrace at NOMAD restaurant then go to Cafe Zeitoun for a mint tea and pastries overlooking the main square in the evening. Visit the Jewish quarter, Saadian Tombs and Le Jardin Majorelle. Do buy an orange juice in the main square but ask for it to be freshly squeezed in front of you.

Enjoy!
Fantastic - will have a look at those restaurants in advance.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:20 am

Me and my partner went to Marrakesh a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in a Riad in the Medina (old centre).What a fantastic experience. Seemed very traditional. A real old Arabic style city. Had a great time but you're right to have your wits about you.

Around the Medina (old centre) there's lots of people that will try to 'take you there for free no money just thanks'. A couple of times they then passed us on to their friend that did want money. This happens very fast and we didn't realise at first what was going on until it dawned on us that they'll want some cash. We just refused and said we didn't ask you to do this. They looked annoyed but nothing bad came out of it. Just got to feel comfortable standing your ground. If they same there's some kind of festival going on, e.g festival of colour, chances are there isn't, it's just their shop.

A couple of highlights:

Sunset dinner in the desert including a camel ride. This is hosted by the berber people (original inhabitants). Wasn't keen on a camel ride at first but it was included in the trip. A great laugh in the end. Booked via Get Your Guide app.

We booked a pottery class too which was great. Also via that app.

Bacha Coffee. A fancy cafe with something like 200 coffees available. Looks a bit like a Wes Anderson film. Seemed expensive for Marrakesh but exceptional service and wouldn't be pricy for the UK.

If you want a beer its worth researching which restaurants serve alcohol. There are places that do but lots of places that don't. You'll find plenty of mock tails at those places instead.

Have a good one!

ArmchairDetective

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:24 am

It's a great place, by the way. Like nowhere else I've been. Don't let my second paragraph put you off! :D

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:39 am

ArmchairDetective wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:24 am
It's a great place, by the way. Like nowhere else I've been. Don't let my second paragraph put you off! :D
I'm relatively used to that and just being firm. I lived in Nazareth for a year when I was 18 and that was quite daunting at first in the souk's but you just got used to it. Need to brush up on my basic Arabic like "bggr off" and "no chance" before we go ! :D

Thanks for the info.
This user liked this post: ArmchairDetective

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1624 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:58 am

Loved the place, as well as saying no make sure you don't make eye contact I was told.

Jemaa el fna is madness on speed

ArmchairDetective

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:05 am

Guller Bull wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:39 am
I'm relatively used to that and just being firm. I lived in Nazareth for a year when I was 18 and that was quite daunting at first in the souk's but you just got used to it. Need to brush up on my basic Arabic like "bggr off" and "no chance" before we go ! :D

Thanks for the info.
La Choukran (pronounced shokran) is a polite 'no thank you' locally. We didn't learn bugger off unfortunately :lol:

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:17 am

I worked with Arabic kids in an orphanage so I learnt to swear far more fluently than I learnt anything else! :D
This user liked this post: ArmchairDetective

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:45 pm

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm

Cover up

brunlea99
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 314 times

Post by brunlea99 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:29 pm

I would sum it up as the marvellous madness of Marrakech.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:33 pm

The brothels sell ale. Cheap as chips. And the ale is quite reasonabley priced too.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:37 pm

The Koutoubia Mosque is worth visiting.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:17 pm

Do's :

1. Stay there a long long time.
2. Sing "Anass, Anass Zaroury runs down the wing for me" every time a local converses with you.
3. Walk at top speed at all times thus avoiding all scammers and hawkers.

Dont's :

1. Walk round the main square with a placard saying "All Moroccans smell of rotting fish heads".
2. Appear dazed whilst repeatedly saying " your skunk has gone straight to my nut".
3. Wear a Holy Custard T shirt as you may get mugged.

Stick to my advice and it's all aboard the enjoyment express.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:50 am

bodge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:17 pm
Stick to my advice and it's all aboard the enjoyment express.
Always good to have your advice Bodge even if it is no use whatsoever. Love you x

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:53 am

A brilliant place to visit esp if you stay in a riad in the medina. Been twice, most recently 2 months ago when I was surprised how little evidence of the recent earthquake there was in the city.
Wish I could remember the names of a fantastic rooftop restaurant we ate at and also a brilliant tiled drinking den we stumbled across upstairs at one end of Jmma el Fnaa but a good “posh” interlude is cocktails at the Mamounia hotel. It’s just down the road behind the Koutoubia mosque and is where Churchill used to stay . Nice gardens at the back of the hotel and air conditioned luxury in the bar.
I’d echo the warnings about accepting “help” from the locals when you, inevitably, get lost in the soukhs.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:46 pm

Just a quick last bump of this thread before we go on Friday.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations so far.

Any more for anymore? Cant wait to see/feel a bit of warm sun.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

Booked my flight for my visit for work. Staying in the Radisson Blu which is a 20 min drive from the airport. How is the best way to get there. Will I get stung by taxi fairs?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

Will you go via the Express?

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

Don’t take your blonde wife/kids