Tales & Story’s your Grandparents told you about Burnley/Football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretsPadiham
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Tales & Story’s your Grandparents told you about Burnley/Football

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 am

My Grandad would have been 94 if he was alive today.

I grew up with his countless stories of watching Burnley and a very successful era for the club when we was league champions and played in Europe.

Anyway …

He was adamant Jimmy Mac was just as good if not better than George Best.

He couldn’t understand the hatred between Burnley & Blackburn he said back in his day some people would follow both teams and if Burnley were away they would go and watch Blackburn and vice versa. (Can anyone confirm as this would 100% never happen today)

Also said how non famous the players were they all had normal jobs some working down the pit with him and wasn’t on much money. They was all in the local pubs most nights.

Remember him always talking about the ‘Outside forward’ a position which doesn’t exists today.

Used to say Adam Blacklaw would walk into any team today, not sure he could be a sweeper keeper :lol:

I couldn’t get my head round how we could get such high attendances back then we could never pull 50k today we can’t even do half.

Share your story’s …
This user liked this post: bfcjg

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Tales & Story’s your Grandparents told you about Burnley/Football

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:27 am

My grandad used to watch Burnley and Blackburn alternate weeks. He never professed to be a "fan" of either, he just went to watch the football.

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:32 am

My Grandad and Dad would go and watch Rovers when Burnley played away games. It was a common occurrence and worked both ways apparently.
Halley, Boyle and Watson were my Grandad's favourite players. Of course they both enjoyed the football in the early 60's but were astonished at how we collapsed in the run up to being potential League and Cup winners. Marked the beginning of the end of our greatness in their eyes.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:34 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:27 am
My grandad used to watch Burnley and Blackburn alternate weeks. He never professed to be a "fan" of either, he just went to watch the football.
Not grandparents, but my dad, and my wife's dad used to watch both Burnley and Blackburn, one was a big Burnley fan, the other a rovers fan, it's just that there wasn't the tribal hatred in those days, and as said on another thread people would go to games just to see one of the big named players.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:44 am

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 am
My Grandad would have been 94 if he was alive today.

I grew up with his countless stories of watching Burnley and a very successful era for the club when we was league champions and played in Europe.

Anyway …

He was adamant Jimmy Mac was just as good if not better than George Best.

He couldn’t understand the hatred between Burnley & Blackburn he said back in his day some people would follow both teams and if Burnley were away they would go and watch Blackburn and vice versa. (Can anyone confirm as this would 100% never happen today)

Also said how non famous the players were they all had normal jobs some working down the pit with him and wasn’t on much money. They was all in the local pubs most nights.

Remember him always talking about the ‘Outside forward’ a position which doesn’t exists today.

Used to say Adam Blacklaw would walk into any team today, not sure he could be a sweeper keeper :lol:

I couldn’t get my head round how we could get such high attendances back then we could never pull 50k today we can’t even do half.

Share your story’s …
I am now 77 and very much brought up in the same era as your granddad, attending my first match at the Turf in August 1952 at the age of 5 years and 8 months.
I was brought up in a house where my mum had a season ticket at Blackburn and my dad had one at Burnley, therefore, there was never any animosity in our house. I used to go to Blackburn with my mum, preferred going to Burnley with my dad, however, if both were away or not playing for any reason, my dad would take me to Preston to watch the great Tom Finney or we would go and watch Accrington Stanley. All the above done on public transport from Oswaldtwistle.They were great times to be growing up.

No real thoughts on comparing Best and McIlroy ---both great players who took the knocks from some very robust tackles, unlike modern football which is definitely going soft.

DId he talk about 'Outside forward' which I have never heard or was it 'Inside forward' which was a common term in those days?

Adam Blacklaw was a smashing keeper nad used to come and coach the team at Gisburn, for which I played in the mid-1960s, in the Clitheroe and District League. Happy days.
As for the attendances, it was mainly standing on the terraces and you could fit so many more people into the ground. The introduction of all-seater stadiums has reduced the attendances.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretsPadiham SalisburyClaret Rick_Muller Buxtonclaret

ClaretsPadiham

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:44 am
I am now 77 and very much brought up in the same era as your granddad, attending my first match at the Turf in August 1952 at the age of 5 years and 8 months.
I was brought up in a house where my mum had a season ticket at Blackburn and my dad had one at Burnley, therefore, there was never any animosity in our house. I used to go to Blackburn with my mum, preferred going to Burnley with my dad, however, if both were away or not playing for any reason, my dad would take me to Preston to watch the great Tom Finney or we would go and watch Accrington Stanley. All the above done on public transport from Oswaldtwistle.They were great times to be growing up.

No real thoughts on comparing Best and McIlroy ---both great players who took the knocks from some very robust tackles, unlike modern football which is definitely going soft.

DId he talk about 'Outside forward' which I have never heard or was it 'Inside forward' which was a common term in those days?

Adam Blacklaw was a smashing keeper nad used to come and coach the team at Gisburn, for which I played in the mid-1960s, in the Clitheroe and District League. Happy days.
As for the attendances, it was mainly standing on the terraces and you could fit so many more people into the ground. The introduction of all-seater stadiums has reduced the attendances.
No it was definitely Outside Forward, just did a quick check and it says John Connelly was an Outside Forward.

ClaretsPadiham

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:58 am

Attachments
IMG_5353.jpeg
IMG_5353.jpeg (193.37 KiB) Viewed 2002 times

ClaretsPadiham

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:59 am

He also referred to Chelsea as the ‘pensioners’.

No idea why

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am
No it was definitely Outside Forward, just did a quick check and it says John Connelly was an Outside Forward.
A very old term for a winger when they played in the WM formation. Wing forward etc.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 am

Maybe outside forward was just another term for winger?

As for the animosity between us and the horse botherers, I’m unsure of when it started, but I know it didn’t exist when my dad was young. He was born in Darren, grew up in B’burn, and finally lived in Burnley, where I was born. Like other posters parents/grandparents, as a young man he went to deadwood one week, the Turf the other. Went to his grave without telling me who he favoured, the old bugger.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:06 am

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:59 am

No idea why
Surely you have heard of Chelsea pensioners? 🤔
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18278 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:07 am

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:59 am

No idea why
https://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/th ... pensioners

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 am

My Grandad was a barber and owned the barber shop on Yorkshire Street (opposite Plumbe St) from the 60’s until he retired around 1990 ish. All the players in the 60’s and 70’s used to get their hair cut there and we’re on first name terms with him, so he always had loads of stories to tell me!

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 am

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 am
Maybe outside forward was just another term for winger?

As for the animosity between us and the horse botherers, I’m unsure of when it started, but I know it didn’t exist when my dad was young. He was born in Darren, grew up in B’burn, and finally lived in Burnley, where I was born. Like other posters parents/grandparents, as a young man he went to deadwood one week, the Turf the other. Went to his grave without telling me who he favoured, the old bugger.
Obviously the language used in this post doesn't help the animosity, iam sure your dad didn't use those terms, so where is it learnt from?

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3778 times
Has Liked: 7573 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am

My grandad,and his brothers, used to watch both Burnley & Blackburn, between the wars. Though all were Burnley leaning. They went to watch the great players of the day. Something I've done myself, many times when I couldn't travel from Derbyshire to watch Burnley.
My Dad was Claret. Occasionally went to Blackburn or Accy with his cousin on the bus from Rawtenstall. He used to tell me of the great players he'd seen.
We were both at Eewood ( only time I ever went there with him ) when the late, great Ralphy sat on the ball. We were in with mainly Rovers fans & I had my Burnley rosette on!
There was rivalry but, not the apparent 'hatred ' bandied around today.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1624 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:59 am

roperclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 am
My Grandad was a barber and owned the barber shop on Yorkshire Street (opposite Plumbe St) from the 60’s until he retired around 1990 ish. All the players in the 60’s and 70’s used to get their hair cut there and we’re on first name terms with him, so he always had loads of stories to tell me!
Alf ?

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am

My dad would have been 108 this year. He started watching Burnley in 1931 and also told me about people who watched us and that lot on alternate weeks. Not my dad though I'm proud to say - he would only set foot on Ewood if the Clarets were there.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:15 am

I spoke to a lady who attended a match when Tommy Boyle was captain. She didn't remember whether it was pre-WW1 or post; she was old enough for either. The only other thing she remembered was that they brought tea and cakes round to the people in the grandstand at half-time. (She was from a well-off background. The average working man didn't get a seat.)

roperclaret

Post by roperclaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:23 am

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:59 am
Alf ?
Mr Mallett to you :D
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

DXS
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by DXS » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:30 am

My dad whose 83 always talks about Jimmy Hogan, not so much as a player more as a coach
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:04 pm

My Grandad used to tell me Eddie Mosscrop was a joy to watch

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:10 pm

roperclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:23 am
Mr Mallett to you :D
I always went to Alf’s for my hair cut. I guess in today’s world he would have been Alf Mullett ! I remember him well
This user liked this post: roperclaret

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:08 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:44 am

I’m 74 and remember by Dad saying what a poor crowd for a game against West Brom on the Turf,I think there was round about 27,000 on.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:13 pm

roperclaret wrote:
Alf Mallett was my barber when I was at school - I never did know what it was he was offering the older men for the weekend

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:14 pm

roperclaret wrote:
Nothing to do with football but used to go to your grandads and always asked for a square neck which was the style to have in your early teens,the day I went to have it cut he was busy ( he had at least 2 other staff) so I went a few doors down to Cockcrofts ,told him I wanted a square neck the bugger said I only do short back and sides ,went to grammar school the day after and got some real ribbing.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6907 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:20 pm

Sadly all my grandparents died before I was born so I had to rely on friends grandparents stories, the overriding recollection is they would play in all weathers and walk to Turf Moor in snow,rain storms etc knowing the game would be on.

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:23 pm

My grandad used to be the sole 'bobby' on duty at Turf during matchdays. He was also a fireman and greengrocer while my grandma used to have a couple of ladieswear shops in Burnley but doubt any posters will be of an age to remember!

roperclaret

Post by roperclaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:13 pm
Alf Mallett was my barber when I was at school - I never did know what it was he was offering the older men for the weekend
Prophylactics Tony! - he always tried to hide them from me when I was a kid.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

roperclaret

Post by roperclaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:30 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:14 pm
Nothing to do with football but used to go to your grandads and always asked for a square neck which was the style to have in your early teens,the day I went to have it cut he was busy ( he had at least 2 other staff) so I went a few doors down to Cockcrofts ,told him I wanted a square neck the bugger said I only do short back and sides ,went to grammar school the day after and got some real ribbing.
Gordon would have been one - he took the shop over when grandad retired
This user liked this post: Westleigh

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Obviously the language used in this post doesn't help the animosity, iam sure your dad didn't use those terms, so where is it learnt from?
Well, this particular piece of “animosity” (which I am totally comfortable with) was learnt from reading an article in the paper, describing at least one of their number being actively engaged in bothering horses….

Also, I don’t want to help the animosity, whatever that means. I’m happy despising them… comfy in fact.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:05 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:46 pm
Well, this particular piece of “animosity” (which I am totally comfortable with) was learnt from reading an article in the paper, describing at least one of their number being actively engaged in bothering horses….

Also, I don’t want to help the animosity, whatever that means. I’m happy despising them… comfy in fact.
Not sure the story you refer to mentioned him being a rovers fan, Not everybody in blackburn is.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:20 pm

Nope. It may well be a tenous link, but one I and plenty of others are happy to exploit in the name of “banter”.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm

The Clarets were my family team with my Dad and uncles all regulars, even when we moved to North Yorks.
He never went on Deadwood but, when living in Hassy, he would go on Bury or Bolton if the Clarets were playing distant and the reserves didn’t have good opposition.
He worked as a telephone operator and with quiet nights he put together marvellous scrapbooks with any photos and stories he could get from the papers. I wish I had them now.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:49 pm

Pretty sure that even Jack Walker/Walker steel used to go to Burnley and were frequent sponsors of the Clarets, no?

Think the rivalry started to sower with the rise Hooliganism in the late 60s/70s.

Things like the 'Staying down forever' plane certainly added fuel to the fire.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:11 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:49 pm
Pretty sure that even Jack Walker/Walker steel used to go to Burnley and were frequent sponsors of the Clarets, no?

Think the rivalry started to sower with the rise Hooliganism in the late 60s/70s.

Things like the 'Staying down forever' plane certainly added fuel to the fire.
I think the roof coming off the Darwen end had a lot to do with it.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:27 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:11 pm
I think the roof coming off the Darwen end had a lot to do with it.
That alomg many other instances no doubt!

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3805 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:48 pm

My grandad was very proud of playing in goals for Burnley schoolboys (whatever that is?) and I think conceded 5 against Nat Lofthouse.

Oh and Gifton Noel Williams is a duck egg. My grandad had a weird love in for Jose Mourinho :lol:
This user liked this post: ClaretsPadiham