Hotels in the UK (A Thread for advice and help to others)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretsPadiham
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Hotels in the UK (A Thread for advice and help to others)

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:12 am

Stayed in the Gotham in Manchester last weekend with the Mrs we had a discount on booking so got it for £100 off the proper price so was £230. Was very nice but I wouldn’t pay £330 I don’t think.

Going the Titanic hotel in Liverpool for a night in Feb, probably my favourite hotel in the UK. Massive room, excellent facilities and a brilliant breakfast and restaurant. The well-ness package is great too.

The Leeds marriot is another personal favourite in a brilliant location and a good price.

I do want to try Crow wood, but feels strange staying somwhere when you live 10 mins away, it’s basically like what’s the point ? :lol:

Going Dublin in June to see Liam Gallagher staying at the Temple Bar hotel for 2 nights, anyone stayed here ?

Anyway thought we could use this thread for people to give good advice to other posters who might need a hotel for working away, away days or just a nice night away. We’ve probably covered evey town and City between us on here.

burnmark
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 478 times

Re: Hotels in the UK (A Thread for advice and help to others)

Post by burnmark » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:16 am

We enjoyed a nights stay here:

https://www.theroomslytham.co.uk/

Excellent rooms and breakfast.
This user liked this post: ClaretsPadiham

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:44 am

Stayed at the Edwardian in Manchester last week. Nice food, spa was good but wasn't bowled over by the modern room or bar. Prefer the Midland's rooms and excellent bar.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:44 am

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:12 am
Going Dublin in June to see Liam Gallagher staying at the Temple Bar hotel for 2 nights, anyone stayed here ?

Stayed around the corner from Temple bar during the week in July a few years back. The noise was unbearable. The nightlife was still going at 3am, then at 6am the dreymen start work (every pub seems to have hundreds of empty barrels outside) and the street cleaners jet wash the whole area down.
I imagine weekends are far louder.

I would stay a little further away if I ever went back.

The Guinness is superb over there, but wasn't keen on their lagers. Shorts are 35ml a single over there, compared to 25ml here.

Food in Dublin was superb.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:04 am

I agree that the "Titanic" is a great hotel in Liverpool but the only drawback is the distance from the shopping, restaurant area. I recently stayed at the Hilton in Liverpool which is literally part of Liverpool One. Lovely hotel with a great breakfast and right in the centre of the city.

Worsley Marriott: Most on here won't be familiar with this hotel as it's so close by but my wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights recently. Excellent hotel with a superb breakfast and fitness facility. 18 hole golf course on site. Perfect for visiting the "Trafford Centre" or taking in a Sale RUFC game.

Marriott St Pierre, Chepstow: Another excellent hotel with extensive fitness centre and two 18 hole golf courses on site. Lovely part of the world for walking and close by Celtic Manor golf course.

Highcliffe Hotel, Bournemouth: As the name suggests on top of the cliffs in Bournemouth. Great views, close to town centre and very comfortable rooms. You can walk from there to "Sandbanks" along the beach. Ideal if you want a short seaside break or take in a Bournemouth match. (Last year some of the Liverpool coaching staff were there when we stayed)

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:09 am

But do any of these places have clean rooms?

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:16 am

CaptJohn wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:04 am
I agree that the "Titanic" is a great hotel in Liverpool but the only drawback is the distance from the shopping, restaurant area. I recently stayed at the Hilton in Liverpool which is literally part of Liverpool One. Lovely hotel with a great breakfast and right in the centre of the city.

Worsley Marriott: Most on here won't be familiar with this hotel as it's so close by but my wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights recently. Excellent hotel with a superb breakfast and fitness facility. 18 hole golf course on site. Perfect for visiting the "Trafford Centre" or taking in a Sale RUFC game.

Marriott St Pierre, Chepstow: Another excellent hotel with extensive fitness centre and two 18 hole golf courses on site. Lovely part of the world for walking and close by Celtic Manor golf course.

Highcliffe Hotel, Bournemouth: As the name suggests on top of the cliffs in Bournemouth. Great views, close to town centre and very comfortable rooms. You can walk from there to "Sandbanks" along the beach. Ideal if you want a short seaside break or take in a Bournemouth match. (Last year some of the Liverpool coaching staff were there when we stayed)
Stayed in Marriot Worsley and the one in Chepstow and played both golf courses too. Thought the hotel in Chepstow was looking a bit tired and old fashioned but it was a lovely spot.
The Grosvenor in Chester is very nice - expensive but a good treat and loads to do in Chester.

I stop in a lot of Marriotts. The one in York probably falls into the bit tired category but it’s a cracking spot if you go go to York races - you go through the hotel gardens and walk on to the racecourse !

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5090 times
Has Liked: 6903 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:28 am

Stayed in Premier Inn Belfast, great value for money, good food handy for the Ciity, nice and clean throughout.

PensansClaret
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by PensansClaret » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:36 am

Stayed at The Fleet in Temple Bar. Excellent and was not noisy.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4263 times

Post by Greenmile » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:45 am

I hear Strangeways is good. Free haircuts, dental care, X-Box etc.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:50 am

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:45 am
Sounds great, but I don't fancy doing time with weirdo kind, hustlin' and rustlin' and watchin' from behind.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:51 am

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:45 am
And don’t forget the free all year pass to the David Lloyd luxury spa and gym for those cheeky scamp inmates

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am

For city centre breaks, unless you are making full use of the spa facilities etc, you can beat hiring a 4 or 5-star apartment for a couple of nights.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:06 am

Could be a long thread. Hotels in the UK is quite a wide topic. The thread is actually including Ireland too. Over 10,000 hotels in the UK alone. If there is a preferred location or budget you are more likely to get some worthwhile recommendations unless you are just happy to go anywhere for any budget. It’s not clear whether the OP would prefer up to £100 per night in Scunthorpe or £500 per night in Kensington.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:17 am

We stayed in The Sevenoaks Hotel in Carlow (Southwest of Dublin) was a great central location for touring ... Good Restaurant and Facilities Pool/Spa etc ... not sure on prices as it was a package with Leger Holidays ... but could definitely recommend it.

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:35 am

I've stayed in many UK hotels over a number of years and recently decided to try air bnb. Hotels have become quite expensive now especially if you only use them for sleeping as I'm out all day. That's why I tried airbnb. They can be much more reasonably priced(especially if you have stayed at one before and the owner asks you to book direct with them. Cuts out the middle man). My only gripe with air bnb are sometimes you feel like you are intruding on someone's property. Aside from that I stayed at the travel lodge in Burnley over Christmas and was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was and only £40 per night.