REPORT: Last gasp goal wins unlikely point

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Re: REPORT: Last gasp goal wins unlikely point

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 pm

Fulham were the by far the better side for a good hour after they went ahead and certainly had chances to kill the game at 2-0. But that being said, I can only think of three really good chances: one point blank header from a corner well saved and one decent near post save, one free header that was scuffed wide. Otherwise, I don't recall them creating gilt edged, close range chances for all their possession around our box or for the number of times Willian and Robinson in particular had space on our right; most of Trafford's saves were from range, coming through bodies. I thought that was credit to Assignon, Berge and the two centre backs.

Indeed theres a reasonable argument that Odobert and Brownhill (twice) had three equally clear openings even at 2-0 - Brownhill scuffed one on about 50 minutes and blazed over the bar on about 65 minutes from virtually identical positions on the edge of the box with a clear sight of goal.

All of that probably owes as much to Fulham's soft underbelly as anything else and it isn't to say we weren't abysmal at times. But I do think there's still a bit of proportion to be maintained.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret RVclaret burnleymik

Since62
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Since62 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:03 pm

Totally agree with CT. I didn’t see the second goal, I had already left. I would never have done that before, even in Division 4.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:04 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:58 pm
A large chunk? Or the kids near the tunnel? It certainly wasn't heard where I sit, granted it's about as far away from that area as I could possibly get.

Only the minority of fans defend the manager? What a strange world you live in
It was very loud and clear but you wouldn't want to admit to that would you? You didn't hear it 😂 it wasn't even just one stand.
More people defend VK but more and more are turning on a game by game basis. Trafford is 100% that a minority is still defending him.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:08 pm
It’s draining. I never thought it would happen but my love and passion for BFC is nothing like it was.
That's quite a mic drop coming from you Tony. We've been a lot worse over the years, obviously. What's making you so despondent?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:04 pm
It was very loud and clear but you wouldn't want to admit to that would you? You didn't hear it 😂 it wasn't even just one stand.
More people defend VK but more and more are turning on a game by game basis. Trafford is 100% that a minority is still defending him.
I heard boos, but nothing else, had I heard it I would admit it, and comment on how pathetic it was

So why did you say it was the minority who defend Kompany? More made up stuff to push your agenda

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:15 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 pm
I heard boos, but nothing else, had I heard it I would admit it, and comment on how pathetic it was

So why did you say it was the minority who defend Kompany? More made up stuff to push your agenda
It is a minority there's more people wanting change now than not. They was booed off at half time, everybody you speak too, the comments on here, everybody has had enough it's unacceptable.
Why does everything with you come back to the word 'agenda'?
My only agenda is for the football club to succeed but we are failing.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:20 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 pm
Fulham were the by far the better side for a good hour after they went ahead and certainly had chances to kill the game at 2-0. But that being said, I can only think of three really good chances: one point blank header from a corner well saved and one decent near post save, one free header that was scuffed wide. Otherwise, I don't recall them creating gilt edged, close range chances for all their possession around our box or for the number of times Willian and Robinson in particular had space on our right; most of Trafford's saves were from range, coming through bodies. I thought that was credit to Assignon, Berge and the two centre backs.

Indeed theres a reasonable argument that Odobert and Brownhill (twice) had three equally clear openings even at 2-0 - Brownhill scuffed one on about 50 minutes and blazed over the bar on about 65 minutes from virtually identical positions on the edge of the box with a clear sight of goal.

All of that probably owes as much to Fulham's soft underbelly as anything else and it isn't to say we weren't abysmal at times. But I do think there's still a bit of proportion to be maintained.
3rd Goal or not we'd have never got back in it without Fofana and that obviously caught out Fulham's management plans

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:25 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:15 pm
It is a minority there's more people wanting change now than not. They was booed off at half time, everybody you speak too, the comments on here, everybody has had enough it's unacceptable.
Why does everything with you come back to the word 'agenda'?
My only agenda is for the football club to succeed but we are failing.
Sorry that is absolute rubbish

They Were booed off because it was a poor performance, not because they want the manager sacking, if that was the case where are the Kompany out chants, or any boos at full time

Your agenda is to get Trafford dropped, if you say anything else you'd be telling porkies

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:27 pm

Neil wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm
That's quite a mic drop coming from you Tony. We've been a lot worse over the years, obviously. What's making you so despondent?
Absolute no doubt we’ve had far worse teams. I’ve no idea what but I just feel at times as if I could just call it a day.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:27 pm
Absolute no doubt we’ve had far worse teams. I’ve no idea what but I just feel at times as if I could just call it a day.
Before my time largely, but I think we've had worse owners too. And less committed teams.

This is proving a tough season and it has starkly underlined how hard it now is for us to compete. I think the big question, which will make or break supporters' patience with the owners' and manager's model, is what happens in the summer and how we therfore bounce back next season. And I don't think any of us know at all what that is likely to look like.

ICL
Been Liked: 149 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by ICL » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:34 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:17 pm
I think part of it is down to the feeling that we are a bit of an irritant for not buying in wholeheartedly to the project of shopping window football to get investors money back with interest, high merchandise and concourse prices and generally grating razzmatazz with sod all interest in our heritage.
^This

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:31 pm
Before my time largely, but I think we've had worse owners too. And less committed teams.

This is proving a tough season and it has starkly underlined how hard it now is for us to compete. I think the big question, which will make or break supporters' patience with the owners' and manager's model, is what happens in the summer and how we therfore bounce back next season. And I don't think any of us know at all what that is likely to look like.
A lot of people seem to have a dislike for the owners, for whatever reason, totally ignoring the fact it was the same owners last season when everyone was happy with the football
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:25 pm

They Were booed off because it was a poor performance, not because they want the manager sacking, if that was the case where are the Kompany out chants, or any boos at full time

Your agenda is to get Trafford dropped, if you say anything else you'd be telling porkies
I think some of the dissent was though aimed at the tactical fiasco that the first half was, though - and the lack of respect for the basic nuts and bolts stuff on which any competitive team is built. And that ultimately adds up to questioning Kompany. I don't know if many want him to leave, but I do think there's a danger it gets a bit ugly if we this keeps recurring (and yesterday was itself a recurrence) and certainly I think there's a general consensus that Kompany needs to take stock pretty damn quickly.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:37 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:31 pm

we can't keep having a 10+ player overhaul every summer, that's the road to nowhere and it also makes it difficult for the players to connect with the supporters which is a huge thing imho and is playing a large part in what supporters are feeling (or not feeling as would seem a more appropriate description). It's been a completely self inflicted and unnecessary disconnect through a catalogue of mistakes, but people make mistakes and we have to hope they learn from them.
These 5 users liked this post: Rileybobs Culmclaret bfcjg CoolClaret maccclaret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:37 pm
we can't keep having a 10+ player overhaul every summer, that's the road to nowhere and it also makes it difficult for the players to connect with the supporters which is a huge thing imho and is playing a large part in what supporters are feeling (or not feeling as would seem a more appropriate description). It's been a completely self inflicted and unnecessary disconnect through a catalogue of mistakes, but people make mistakes and we have to hope they learn from them.
Agreed. That's the great unknown this summer, isn't it.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:40 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm
A lot of people seem to have a dislike for the owners, for whatever reason, totally ignoring the fact it was the same owners last season when everyone was happy with the football
Don’t overthink it.

When the football team wins, it masks almost everything else going on at the club.

When the football team loses games like we have this season, there needs to be a connection to the heritage and community that keeps the passion going. We’ve shunned that so it’s not surprising we’re seeing apathy.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:40 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:28 pm
It’s not really that hard to get. Fulham had 1.51 xG, we had 1.81. They had 15 shots to our 12. Hardly frightening amounts on either count. I watched the game too and despite them being better than us they didn’t create any chances you thought ‘how did he miss that’ or ‘we got away with that’.
The point of xg is that it attempts to record how likely you are to score from the shots that you had. If you don't have a shot, then xg is nil.

So, for example, after Fulham were 2-0 up they had three or four more chances where they played a ball over the top and their forward ran free. I think only one of them resulted in a shot, the one Trafford saved at his near post. With the others, the pass wasn't good enough or the forward support wasn't there or was in the wrong place, and so the xg was nil. But in real terms, to the supporter eye rather than the computer, it feels like they had a chance to score.

Same in the second half. They had 13 corners (we had 2) and to me, an opposition corner feels like they had a chance to score. If Trafford slaps it away, if the defender nicks it off the forward's head, if the forward simply misses the ball, then it's xg nil. But it doesn't mean there wasn't a chance.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:43 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm
I think the same people, myself included, had serious doubts about the owners last season as well.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:40 pm
The point of xg is that it attempts to record how likely you are to score from the shots that you had. If you don't have a shot, then xg is nil.

So, for example, after Fulham were 2-0 up they had three or four more chances where they played a ball over the top and their forward ran free. I think only one of them resulted in a shot, the one Trafford saved at his near post. With the others, the pass wasn't good enough or the forward support wasn't there or was in the wrong place, and so the xg was nil. But in real terms, to the supporter eye rather than the computer, it feels like they had a chance to score.

Same in the second half. They had 13 corners (we had 2) and to me, an opposition corner feels like they had a chance to score. If Trafford slaps it away, if the defender nicks it off the forward's head, if the forward simply misses the ball, then it's xg nil. But it doesn't mean there wasn't a chance.
It also doesn't account for the fact that at 2-0 up, the winning team is quite often less likely to be much more conservative in their attacking intent and put the onus on the losing side.

Yesterday's game doesn''t need statistics to show that we were fortunate to win a point. It was a spirited late comeback and we eventually scored the same number of goals as Fulham, but they were in control for the majority of the game and looked the better side.
This user liked this post: dsr

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:43 pm

I can tell where the VAR review came from for the second Fofana goal. As he tapped the ball into the net he stumbled and fell forwards, and his fingertip came close to the ball. If his finger had so much as brushed the ball, they would have disallowed it.

They tried to do the same thing with Haaland a few weeks ago, Same sort of scenario, he slid in (Jimmy Robson-style) to meet the cross and as the ball was crossing the line alongside Haaland, still sliding, the ball came close to touching a finger. This would have given VAR the chance to do what it does best, to disallow a goal for something that no-one on earth thinks was an offence!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:45 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:43 pm
I can tell where the VAR review came from for the second Fofana goal. As he tapped the ball into the net he stumbled and fell forwards, and his fingertip came close to the ball. If his finger had so much as brushed the ball, they would have disallowed it.

They tried to do the same thing with Haaland a few weeks ago, Same sort of scenario, he slid in (Jimmy Robson-style) to meet the cross and as the ball was crossing the line alongside Haaland, still sliding, the ball came close to touching a finger. This would have given VAR the chance to do what it does best, to disallow a goal for something that no-one on earth thinks was an offence!
I'd no idea what it was at the time but having seen the goal now from every angle I'm baffled we had any sort of wait.

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:48 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:25 pm

Would I prefer him dropped...yes
Is it an agenda of mine.....no
Giving my opinion is not starting an agenda, you really do have some strange thoughts

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:48 pm

There’s loads of reasons for losing passion. One is the premier league as a whole. VAR and big teams getting decisions etc. We've spent loads of money on players who are doing nothing. No fight whatsoever and if the quality is lacking that’s the minimum they need to give. VK keeps saying this team will keep fighting and keep going but it looks like they haven’t started yet. I go into each game fully expecting to lose and that’s bloody horrible. Bring on the championship!

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:49 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:00 pm
Couldn't agree more.
Sums it up very well. Like CT I never imagined that I would feel this way about Burnley FC. There have been some rough periods in my time following the Clarets: - 75/76, 79/80, 84-7, 94/95, the second half of 2009/10 - to name but a few - but this season just feels numbing.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
I've not reached that stage yet, but that's maybe because a home match is a good day out for me. I get to see one of my stepchildren or my sister-in-law in Lancaster ( they each look after my dog on a rota basis ), my friends in the pub in Burnley, and my sister and cousin at the match, before picking my dog up in Lancaster on the way home. This season, usually, the only bit I don't enjoy is the 90 minutes.
I'm getting the impression that the business ( profit ) side of it is at least as important to the new owners as results on the pitch. The current model ( buy promising young players, bring them on, and sell them at a profit ) might well work in the Championship, and will probably do so again next season, but it doesn't in the Premier League.
If we do go up again next season, the 2025 summer window will be crucial. We will need to bring in
PL-ready players.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg longsidepies

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:52 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:48 pm
There’s loads of reasons for losing passion. One is the premier league as a whole. VAR and big teams getting decisions etc. We've spent loads of money on players who are doing nothing. No fight whatsoever and if the quality is lacking that’s the minimum they need to give. VK keeps saying this team will keep fighting and keep going but it looks like they haven’t started yet. I go into each game fully expecting to lose and that’s bloody horrible. Bring on the championship!
Absolutely. I think we’ve all been accepting of another spell in the Championship since November time and to be honest that bit doesn’t bother me at all. I look forward to a competitive league again.

I just hope we toss aside all ridiculous notions this failed project and get back to signing players who get some sweat on their shirt. The effort levels this season have been insipid.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:00 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:52 pm
Absolutely. I think we’ve all been accepting of another spell in the Championship since November time and to be honest that bit doesn’t bother me at all. I look forward to a competitive league again.

I just hope we toss aside all ridiculous notions this failed project and get back to signing players who get some sweat on their shirt. The effort levels this season have been insipid.
I'm not sure I'd call it lack of effort, I think they are completely shell shocked by how far off it in terms of quality we are (the same is happening in the stands)

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:02 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:40 pm

Some fair points. Albeit over a season it generally paints a decent picture. An overview of our entire season last year shows us with 68 xG, we scored 86. An over performance only managed sustainably by the likes of City who have better players than their competitors. Sheff and Boro had a higher total xG than us. Interestingly there are 7 Championship teams right now averaging a higher xG per game than we did.

What you are referring to is something a bit more advanced which is xT and field tilt but given people seemingly don’t understand xG it could get a bit much.
Last edited by RVclaret on Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearcey

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:02 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:00 pm
I'm not sure I'd call it lack of effort, I think they are completely shell shocked by how far off it in terms of quality we are (the same is happening in the stands)
No all of them granted but we certainly have too many passengers that keep getting picked.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
I said exactly the same to my partner yesterday, she asked why I don’t feel the same about football at the moment and I said Iv honestly no idea what it is but it just feels different to the point I’m genuinely not that bothered, I just hope it’s a one season thing and I get the passion back.

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:04 pm

I was there yesterday, pre match meal in town with friends, I had no excitement. I always had excitement even in the bad Div 4 days.

I think a lot of it is because we've been effectively down now for months and even though we've been through lots of relegations, its probably never been assured so early, especially with the promise of last season, the amount of signings and that it was felt we had a brilliant up and coming manager. But its just been so underwhelming, the results, the player and sadly the Manager. BTW I'm still for him next season.

May be I'm just getting old

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:07 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:02 pm
Some fair points. Albeit over a season it generally paints a decent picture. An overview of our entire season last year shows us with 68 xG, we scored 86. An over performance only managed sustainably by the likes of City who have better players than their competitors. Sheff and Boro had a higher total xG than us. Interestingly there are 7 Championship teams right now averaging a higher xG per game than we did.

What you are referring to is something a bit more advanced which is xT and field tilt but given people seemingly don’t understand xG it could get a bit much.
No point of xG at all if you let more in at the back, you lose the game.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:10 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:00 pm
Agree for some of them - the likes of Trafford and O’Shea have looked shell shocked on occasion but I wouldn’t suggest they lack effort.

Others I would definitely put in the lack of effort bracket though, and it’s been mentioned throughout the season how the required work rate and intensity has been missing.

I’m afraid the team has a culture problem where putting in 100% is optional.

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:10 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:32 pm
we got beat 3-1, we got beat 6-0 there last season. Not sure how anyone can't find a single positive from the game. Each to their own
City didn't even engage the gearstick, never mind get out of 1st.They strolled around with the ball like it was dad's v lads, it was embarrassing at times.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:15 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:04 pm
I was there yesterday, pre match meal in town with friends, I had no excitement. I always had excitement even in the bad Div 4 days.

I think a lot of it is because we've been effectively down now for months and even though we've been through lots of relegations, its probably never been assured so early, especially with the promise of last season, the amount of signings and that it was felt we had a brilliant up and coming manager. But its just been so underwhelming, the results, the player and sadly the Manager. BTW I'm still for him next season.

May be I'm just getting old
I think there's a few factors. It's the first season for a long time where we've had such little to play for at such an early stage. Secondly, last time we were relegated it felt like quite a big deal after 7(?) seasons in the PL, now we know what to expect, we know that the Championship is fun and we should be one of the best teams. Add to that the style of play and the transitional nature of the squad.

I don't think I've ever been so nonplussed about an injury time equaliser, or so accepting of a late defeat like against Luton. I no longer have the pre-match or in-game nerves.

I'm pretty certain this is a temporary situation rather than a falling out of love and I'm sure the passion will be back next season.
These 3 users liked this post: Wokingclaret Pearcey Vegas Claret

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:20 pm

No point mincing my words on this - we were absolute unmitigated garbage yesterday, and Fulham deserved to win on the basis of controlling the game for 60 of the first 70 minutes. The draw masked absolutely nothing as far as I am concerned and I could barely muster the energy to stand and celebrate the equaliser due to knowing anything but a win was utterly irrelevant.

Large swathes of the team looked like they put in the barest amount of effort possible and showed no desire or anger at the disaster unfolding around them. Where was the Captain shouting the odds? Where were the big tackles and grit required? Where was the energy and pressing after we went a goal behind? The brittle, inexperienced children predominantly making up our first eleven’s heads all dropped in unison and our ‘Captain’ Josh Brownhill didn’t have the skills in his armoury to gee the troops. Lyle Foster the only one yesterday showing any accountability or leadership.

An utter disappointment and a terrible performance from essentially everybody except the three blokes making their home debuts - which tells you everything you needed to know.
These 5 users liked this post: Pearcey Murger bfcjg ICL longsidepies

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 pm

AmbleClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:10 pm
City didn't even engage the gearstick, never mind get out of 1st.They strolled around with the ball like it was dad's v lads, it was embarrassing at times.
you mean like they do against most sides ?

Pearcey

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:26 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 pm
you mean like they do against most sides ?
Or maybe they didn’t want to inflict more pain on VK (conspiracy theory obviously) but they definitely barely tried in the second half.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:26 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:10 pm
Agree for some of them - the likes of Trafford and O’Shea have looked shell shocked on occasion but I wouldn’t suggest they lack effort.

Others I would definitely put in the lack of effort bracket though, and it’s been mentioned throughout the season how the required work rate and intensity has been missing.

I’m afraid the team has a culture problem where putting in 100% is optional.
yep agree, I was careful to say 'i'm not sure' ! There are definately a couple you can point at for not putting it in but I genuinely believe some just can't cope because they aren't at the level. I'm not going to mention names though.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:27 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:26 pm
Or maybe they didn’t want to inflict more pain on VK (conspiracy theory obviously) but they definitely barely tried in the second half.
nah, it's the one thing Gaurdiola's teams don't do, if they can score 20 they would try. Title race is going to be close so goal difference could play it's part for a change. That's not to say we played well by the way

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:31 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:20 pm
No point mincing my words on this - we were absolute unmitigated garbage yesterday, and Fulham deserved to win on the basis of controlling the game for 60 of the first 70 minutes. The draw masked absolutely nothing as far as I am concerned and I could barely muster the energy to stand and celebrate the equaliser due to knowing anything but a win was utterly irrelevant.

Large swathes of the team looked like they put in the barest amount of effort possible and showed no desire or anger at the disaster unfolding around them. Where was the Captain shouting the odds? Where were the big tackles and grit required? Where was the energy and pressing after we went a goal behind? The brittle, inexperienced children predominantly making up our first eleven’s heads all dropped in unison and our ‘Captain’ Josh Brownhill didn’t have the skills in his armoury to gee the troops. Lyle Foster the only one yesterday showing any accountability or leadership.

An utter disappointment and a terrible performance from essentially everybody except the three blokes making their home debuts - which tells you everything you needed to know.
Im sorry but this is just a bit crap if you cant be bothered celebrating a last minute equaliser with another 4 or 5 minutes left to go. Its that exact moment where teams like Everton, Leeds etc tend to find those big last second winners as the fans roar them on. Our fans have been crap this season, theres pure ambivalence, its like a bunch of children feeling sorry for themselves.
We need to get the old underdog mentality back, we had it a bit yesterday the fans definitely had a bit more anger and aggression at the team for underperforming and in the end it revved them up.
We cant do that every week but as i said on another thread, yesterday was a day for letting the players know that it wasnt acceptable and imo it was a contributor to getting back in the game

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:33 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:26 pm
That's how City play. If they go 3 up they don't risk losing any points (even if the risk is tiny) by chasing more goals at the expense of defence. They still keep players back just in case. They don't give up trying to score, but they don't force the issue either.

A side that is happy to sit back and keep it at three has a good chance of succeeding.
Last edited by dsr on Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:38 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:31 pm
Im sorry but this is just a bit crap if you cant be bothered celebrating a last minute equaliser with another 4 or 5 minutes left to go. Its that exact moment where teams like Everton, Leeds etc tend to find those big last second winners as the fans roar them on. Our fans have been crap this season, theres pure ambivalence, its like a bunch of children feeling sorry for themselves.
We need to get the old underdog mentality back, we had it a bit yesterday the fans definitely had a bit more anger and aggression at the team for underperforming and in the end it revved them up.
We cant do that every week but as i said on another thread, yesterday was a day for letting the players know that it wasnt acceptable and imo it was a contributor to getting back in the game
Look, I stood up and clapped (like you, I assume). My point is I felt nothing. That goal changed absolutely nothing about this season, it felt like the most non-plussed I’ve ever felt at an injury time equaliser ever. Don’t question my passion when I complete a 5 hour round trip every game and pull my beanie down over my face whilst screaming at Luton’s goal standing after VAR review. I support this club as much as anybody could profess to.
These 2 users liked this post: Wokingclaret longsidepies

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:45 pm
I'd no idea what it was at the time but having seen the goal now from every angle I'm baffled we had any sort of wait.
Same reason as why Nottingham Forest's goal in the away game was delayed by VAR. The VAR man was trying from all angles to find the slightest touch of a finger on the ball so that he could disallow it for handball. The rule as currently applied means that the tiniest brush of a fingernail by the goalscorer, however accidental or irrelevant, is reason to disallow it.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:48 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:38 pm
Look, I stood up and clapped (like you, I assume). My point is I felt nothing. That goal changed absolutely nothing about this season, it felt like the most non-plussed I’ve ever felt at an injury time equaliser ever. Don’t question my passion when I complete a 5 hour round trip every game and pull my beanie down over my face whilst screaming at Luton’s goal standing after VAR review. I support this club as much as anybody could profess to.
Its all well and good criticising everything about the club, which im guilty of too. But fans have a part to play as well and we arent doing it. Having a hissy fit about that comment sort of proves my point about being like sulking children.
Dont know if you saw Everton yesterday but their fans pretty much dragged them to a point in combination with the players.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:49 pm

Pre-match and throughout much of the game had an end of season feeling to me. ( apart that is from the hugely gratifying story of the two brave young Clarets and their quest to raise money for a very worthy cause). Felt like this was that final compulsion to attend before the ignominy of relegation but at least a few months of respite before the trials and tribulations start all over again.
Of course it wasn't and I do wonder with some trepidation what the remaining fixtures have in store for us. I say that because we appear incapable of affecting a game in a positive way. Instead it seems to be a case of fending off the opposition for as long as we can until the inevitable breakthrough occurs more than often as a careless piece of play on our behalf.
I expected that long awaited result for Fulham at Turf Moor to happen for the visitors yesterday. even more so when they went in front. They didn't but those last few minutes after we equalised were very telling for me. Even though in the ascendancy for the only time in the game we just couldn't get the ball off them. Their efforts were, alas, too late for them but when the final whistle went I genuinely didn't know what or how to feel. Someone nearby said 'that was disappointing'. Really, I thought. As good as that?

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:51 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:45 pm
Same reason as why Nottingham Forest's goal in the away game was delayed by VAR. The VAR man was trying from all angles to find the slightest touch of a finger on the ball so that he could disallow it for handball. The rule as currently applied means that the tiniest brush of a fingernail by the goalscorer, however accidental or irrelevant, is reason to disallow it.
And that's why, its used far too much, it needs a appeal system like Cricket. one per half or two per match, you abuse it you lose it. Its there if you need to use it.
This user liked this post: dsr

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:54 pm

Interesting to hear people’s thoughts on how they are feeling about the club and football at present. I’m not sure that I know the answer, although I suspect one answer could be the commercialisation of the game leading to a severing of the close links to fans that used to exist.

What do I mean by this? Well, players and managers come and go faster than a fart in the wind, with no real passion for the club or town/city that they represent. They all say the right things, but actions speak louder than words! Club owners are only interested in the profit margins and inviting corporate friends to visit as part of the prawn sandwich brigade. Whereas the fans are expected to foot the bill to help pay the obscene wages of players and managers, who don’t really give a s**t! Gone are the days when my Grandpa used to share a lift with Jimmy McIlroy to the ground on match day having sold him a loaf of bread earlier from his shop. Don’t misinterpret this comment, I do understand that times change, but sadly the game has lost some/most/all of that sense of community that binds everyone in my opinion which may be a reason for feeling detached……..that and the fact we keep getting pummelled every week! 🤣😂

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:58 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:48 pm
Its all well and good criticising everything about the club, which im guilty of too. But fans have a part to play as well and we arent doing it. Having a hissy fit about that comment sort of proves my point about being like sulking children.
Dont know if you saw Everton yesterday but their fans pretty much dragged them to a point in combination with the players.
Hissy fit? Sulking children? This is a dissection of a **** performance , nothing more and nothing less. I think the only person acting like a child is yourself with a needless and bizarre choice to have a go at one of literally hundreds of posts that are all labouring over the same basic opinion.

Burnley fans have dragged our team over the line many times when we have been poor but it’s a mutual delivery and always has been at Turf Moor. Typically it’s a great atmosphere when we’re good and terrible/non-existent when we’re not. Unsure why that’s specifically aimed at me though! I make noise when it occurs, I’m not an instigator but I certainly join in. Away from home it’s a different kettle of fish, but our home support is poor. The fans at the Turf often need the players to raise them from their slumber (except for you, evidently). That’s been the case for 30+ years and is sadly the case at almost every ground you go to these days from the home support. Everton are a special case due to the pent up anger at the Premier League.

Also…Criticising everything about the club? Talking to the wrong poster there when I’m one of a very dwindling amount who keep asking us to stick by Kompany. I was also one of the posters who constantly asked us to stick by Dyche in the face of endless streams of posts on here asking for his dismissal and the revisionist ******* over his achievements that continues by a few very obvious people with clear and laughable agendas.
This user liked this post: Pearcey

Pearcey

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:58 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:48 pm
Maybe that’s because Everton are having a much better season than their points tally suggests. They’d be sat comfortably in 12th place if it wasn’t for the deduction. They also see a squad up against it that are giving their all.