Burnley to York/Harrogate via Blubberhouses

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Burnley to York/Harrogate via Blubberhouses

Post by mikeS » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:10 pm

Thought we would have a day out in York yesterday (Friday 1st March) travelling over our usual route from Burnley through Skipton and Harrogate to York.
The road at the top of Skipton has signs that state 'No Through Traffic' - you can get as far as the roundabout at Bolton Abbey but from there the road over Blubberhouses is coned off. You have to go via Addingham, Ilkley and Otley to pick up the A65 again the other side of Harrogate.
Going wasn't too bad on a Friday morning, we got to the Park and Ride at 10:00 and left again to travel home at 2:00.
Coming back via the same route there had been a bad road accident at Addingham on the downhill 50mph section. Two air ambulances out plus ambulance fire and police - the road closed from the Addingham village turn off outside Ilkley all the way to the top of Skipton. Access was through Addingham Village which is narrow enough on a good day. Yesterday however with the A65 closure and the accident was pure chaos.
Hopefully the Skipton to Ilkley road is now clear again and the people involved in the accident are going to be OK.

Reading reports about the Blubberhouses route online when we eventually got back - the road has collapsed in places and its going to be a long time before its fixed. The signs say August.

So, If you are coming to the match Sunday and travelling this way - please give yourself plenty of time. Hopefully you won't be caught up in any jams like we experienced yesterday. Take care and stay safe.
This user liked this post: LincsWoldsClaret

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Re: Burnley to York/Harrogate via Blubberhouses

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:20 pm

I’d be amazed if it’s open for another 6 months, we don’t do quick and this isn’t a quick job either.

You can see their Leica total stations that are set up in fields monitoring the drift and land movement on the bends, they probably need to close it to heavy wagons full stop tbh

I was up at Nissan Sunderland yesterday morning, took me 2:45 to get up there via Ilkley etc

I’ll avoid trips to the North East were possible for now

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:27 pm

There are better ways than the official diversion, have a look at a map.

Unless you're driving an HGV of course.

Shaun1983
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Shaun1983 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Last time I travelled that way, a few weeks ago, I went through grassington.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 pm

I have heard it’s the same contractors that’s doing the Kierby Roundabout and culvert so unlikely to be ready until we are back in the Premier League again, I would expect 🤷‍♂️

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1623 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:50 pm

My son regularly travels to Sunderland and he goes via Grassington.

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:09 pm

Update feb 20th

North Yorkshire Council is unable to say when the A59 at Kex Gill between Harrogate and Skipton will reopen as the closure enters its third full week.
A real pain in the arse.
I am currently laid up following a hip op, due to return for the Brentford match. My mate who works for NYCC says it is unlikely to be open until early April, even later if this wet weather continues. Grassington best way but not when it’s dark. Otley/Ilkley add on another half an hour, sneaky way via West End had a copper turning cars back last weekend. So good luck lads and lasses tomorrow

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:18 pm

I bet the company doing the Burnley town centre roadworks don't get the repair contract.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:03 pm

The issue that needs fixing could have been done in a couple of weeks. NYCC are playing games. They’re not bothered about that actual piece of road as it’s not a priority to them, it allows them more room to work in for their wagons, heavy duty equipment etc to carry on re-routing the new road. Incidentally it’s NYCC that caused it. I travel pass it every week and since the problem in question arose just over a month ago they’ve not touched it. There have been numerous complaints week in week out but they keep coming up with numerous excuses.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1111 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:17 pm

On a similar note, I recently downloaded the LoveCleanStreets app on my phone. Once you’ve registered you can report lots of different issues to your local council including pot holes. There is a facility to report the pot hole via your gps location and include a photo of the hole.
I’ve tried it and it works. Pot hole filled in within 3 days.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1073 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:58 pm

I never ever go that way, motorway all the way everytime for me

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:31 am

Still closed work not due to start until end of Month, if weather stays dry🤷🏼‍♂️
Good luck tomorrow

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am

I've pretty much given up going to York from East Lancashire even before the Kex Gill issues. Getting through Harrogate is a real pain.

For anyone going north of York, the A59 closure isn't that big a deal. The obvious detour through Pateley Bridge is almost as quick and very scenic. For anyone who's confident on country roads, you can also go cross country through the Dales up to Wensleydale and off towards the north east. Not ideal on a warm Sunday afternoon, but most of the time those roads are very quiet and if you're in no rush the extra 10 minutes or so on your journey is worth it for the stunning views.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

nonayclaret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 64 times

Post by nonayclaret » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:30 am

Another spanner in the works on the official alternative route is at Burley in Wharfedale near where all the speed cameras are.
A massive housing expansion at the Ilkley end of Burley "requires" traffic management starting on Monday and it does not say how long for.
This was previously in situ a few weeks ago and the queues were horrendous.
It is stupid of the Highways to allow this on an official diversion that is already very busy.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:03 pm

NYCC are taking the Pi - - they could have fixed the current problem at the bottom end of kex gill in a few weeks. I had another look at it yesterday and it doesn’t look to me that anythings been done since. I’m in the Skipton area and with it being an A- road it’s affecting so much traffic, especially lorry drivers and the people who work in Harrogate and surrounding areas. Funnily enough I’ve written to NYCC again this morning ( as several others have/are doing) requesting answers to various questions. It was pointed out to me that NYCC are getting bombarded with calls, emails etc asking for answers. The bottom line is that the contractors cocked up ripping out trees and rubble right up to the road side hence a short length of that road has become unstable. Had this been in a certain country it would have been sorted in a few days.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:05 pm

I live in Ilkley and it's now quite often just as quick to walk from one side of the town to the other than drive.

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 pm

thats where i first been a cooartin' Mary Jane

D8BFC
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:52 pm

An absolute nightmare this when you have to go up to the North East at least twice a week :(

Heard it might be shut for another 6 weeks at least :cry:

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:28 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am

For anyone going north of York, the A59 closure isn't that big a deal. The obvious detour through Pateley Bridge is almost as quick and very scenic. For anyone who's confident on country roads, you can also go cross country through the Dales up to Wensleydale and off towards the north east. Not ideal on a warm Sunday afternoon, but most of the time those roads are very quiet and if you're in no rush the extra 10 minutes or so on your journey is worth it for the stunning views.
It put an extra 40 minutes on my round trip and the view isn’t so good at night.