FA Cup Replays

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Re: FA Cup Replays

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 pm

Grimsby have done the same.

Absolute disgrace our national game and cup is being manipulated by a small number of clubs looking after their own self interest.

Surely they’ll have to back it out like the super league? The government should intervene.

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Chris Wilder has it spot on. Yet again, the big clubs dictate.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:46 pm

This sounds like an absolute shambles. How can you change the format of a competition without discussing it with the football community first?

The Football League should just do something as ridiculous, and change the rules like not allowing loans from Premier League clubs or banning U21s from the EFL Trophy

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am

Is there anything to stop the Football and None League teams boycotting the FA Cup next season, as a protest for the way they’ve not been allowed an input in the change of rules.

The top Premiership clubs complain, they play to many games in a season, yet mid season, they jet off to other Continents, playing friendlies, in order to boost revenue.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8755 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:55 am

No idea why Football League clubs can't continue to replay, when the prem clubs, complaining of fixture overload, are not even in the draw!

Someone suggested prem clubs separated in round 3. That would give 20 smaller clubs a chance, if no replay, at least maximise the chances of a big club match.

FA is not Football League, so have no care for them.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am

I'd be interested to know what the clubs stance is on this. I find it very concerning that only lower league clubs are releasing statements about this decision.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am

As a club that averaged 20,000 attendances last season and drew in 11,000 for an FA Cup replay I imagine the club's stance is that this is good and we don't want to be playing replays.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3176 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am

I have been posting about the causes for this situation - and it is only the first step in a greater plan - for years now on the MMT. It is not surprising that this has come about, the only surprise is the number of people who have found it surprising.

this which is also in the MMT is my take
Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 am
I must say that while I am not surprised by the outcry of the significant changes to the format of the FA Cup, I am somewhat surprised at the misinformation from the media fuelling the outrage against the Premier League and yet more calls for the Independent Regulator for Football to step in.

Naturally this was led by Martin Samuel in The Times, though he is right that the cup final should be the last domestic game of the season

Cup final should be sacred – but FA too weak to resist Premier League
The final made perfect sense as domestic season’s climax but now it’s gone — the Premier League can’t let another competition have even the smallest share of glory

https://archive.ph/rA6OZ

A little more surprising is that The Independent have joined in the furore and no acceptance (and more importantly, proper discussion) of the real reason all of this was done or of why the EFL had no place in the discussion - they have little direct interaction with UEFA and it's schedules.

Scrapping FA Cup replays shows the FA’s weakness – the only winners are the whining billionaire owners
From next season, there will be no replays in the FA Cup to satisfy an elite minority with a selfish agenda, while hurting those further down the food chain

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 30814.html
https://archive.ph/mxwnt

from The Guardian a small recognition at the end of the real cause of the change.

FA Cup replays fall victim to scramble for cash and chaotic decision-making
FA’s latest move reflects a further weakening of the game’s heritage and will only boost the argument for independent regulation

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ion-making
https://archive.ph/wip/qlUpH

so we are left with The Telegraph to explain (what readers of this thread have long known) the reasons behind this change, the fact it is likely to be the first of multiple significant changes (the end of EFL Cup participation by clubs in UEFA competition and the reduction of the Premier League to 18 teams) to England's traditions in particular and that for the most part there will be little that any domestic regulator can do while all and sundry huff and puff about things that have been known for years by all of these publications along with the DCMS, the EFL, the FA and the Premier League

The poisonous war behind the move to rip the heart out of the FA Cup
FA have announced the elimination of all Cup replays from next year amid the relentless expansion of the Champions League and Club World Cup

https://archive.ph/nsjsM

There is a reason that the English game is the most affected by this gravitation to the annual revenues provided by club football being enacted by FIFA/UEFA. Only the English game provides the depth and breadth of competition. As of next season only 3 European Leagues will have 20 teams in their top flight (England, Spain and Italy) and only England has two meaningful cup competitions with a long history. Those federal bodies will (with a great deal of justification) argue that they have to be more inclusive and supporting of the games development for everyone, not just the nation that gave the world the game it now adores.

Domestically there is only really one major fight left and that is over the issue of B teams, and it is one that the smaller clubs need to win

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

We live in a democracy, and changes to the FA Cup should have been voted on by all affiliated clubs.
The fact the FA have agreed to this without discussion, just highlights the fact they aren't fit for purpose.
I don't like political interference in sport, but the sooner the government step in the better. The FA Cup belongs to all of us, fans included, we can't keep accepting this dictatorship.

Instead of telling the pyramid to **** off, we should be telling UEFA to **** off. They are ruining the domestic game.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32573 times
Has Liked: 5286 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 am

And a club statement from Grimsby

Grimsby Town Football Club finds it absolutely disgraceful that such fundamental changes to the format of the FA Cup have been agreed without, it seems, any consultation outside of the English Premier League.

The removal of early round replays, among other changes, without the voice of any club outside the EPL, shows scant regard for those clubs that make the English football pyramid the envy of most. A decision that could have substantial consequences for any lower league club embarking on a cup run. We know only too well the importance of a ‘second chance’ having taken Luton Town to a replay, setting up that memorable tie against Southampton last season.

This is yet another example of why the Independent Football Regulator, with the right powers, is so important to the game and cannot come soon enough.

The dreams of so many should not be denied by so few. We call on The FA to pause any changes to the competition and undertake a fair consultation with all clubs that these changes can impact on.

The GTFC Board

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 am

Over 760 clubs enter the FA Cup - All parties, such as the Premier League and the FA, put their cases forward, but ultimately, it should be down to the participants.

But I suppose most of those don't matter

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:07 am

Don't forget that the EFL have previously offered to terminate the League cup - as part of their negotiations for greater Premier League monies. They have long known what was coming, this faux outrage is about them trying to claw more money from the Premier League - and to be honest if it is to happen it should come from the UEFA and now FIFA qualified clubs. The problem there is that it is questionable if a domestic regulator can enforce that as well as both will resist to the further pain of the English game at the Global and European to tables.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am

Maybe it's just time to scrap Premier League Teams from the FA Cup?

Or just get rid of the whole football league system - it's just in the way.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:40 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am
Maybe it's just time to scrap Premier League Teams from the FA Cup?

Or just get rid of the whole football league system - it's just in the way.
from a FIFA/UEFA perspective it is about creating a standardised approach - unfortunately for us, England is the massive outlier with the depth and historical reach of it's professional game.

There is an argument, from a FIFA/UEFA perspective that England having so many domestic competitions are uneconomical, and the level of subsidy/debt employed at the majority of those clubs who engage in those competitions is clear evidence of that fact.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 am

But football, in general, is uneconomical if you look at it from different perspectives.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm
They will soon bring up the number of teams in the premier league and will want it reduced. :o
UEFA have been trying to get the EPL to do this for years now .....

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pm

Petersa wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm
Why didn't they scrap the League Cup?
Isn't a moneymaker until the latter stages when the big boys return from European competition, they could even merge it with the EFL Trophy and have it for EFL sides only...all 3 divisions. To ensure a reduced workload for players, how about banning these mickey mouse preseason tournaments in faraway places
Why not just say that Clubs playing in Europe are ineligible for that season's League Cup, rather than bring them in at the 3rd Round stage ? Also, get rid of the two leg semi-final, and play at a neutral venue as a one off game ...

It would bring more interest to the Competition, new names on the Trophy and, I believe, the winner of the EFL ( Carabao Cup ) qualifies for a UEFA Conference League spot ...

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

I honestly believe the plan for the 'big' clubs is to try and clear their schedule as much as possible so they can play a legitimate league game abroad, similar to the NFL.

Also, our club is now part of the problem - football absolutely reeks.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm

timshorts wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:12 pm
The sad thing is that it has thrown itself on the floor.

Of course, it is fine for people that don't go to games but just watch it on TV or stream it etc.

I still enjoy going to watch lower league and non-league, but really can't be arsed with the rest. I'll be at totton on Saturday, a new ground for me. No var. Rarely any parking problems. Less skill, OK, but there will be enough on display for me if Fraser Thomas is playing.

I enjoy watching my local team.
Like you say, the skill level isn't there, but there's passion and no shortage of effort.
I remember playing in the FA Cup preliminary rounds, and the excitement it generated, though we never got to the 1st round proper.

Transpennine
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 pm

Some will think this is the correct decision and others disagree. But that's missing the point. The lack of consultation and total disregard for the majority of the clubs input into the decision is a complete and utter disgrace.
This user liked this post: claptrappers_union

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 pm

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 pm

What won't help is the view of neutral supporters when they watch the likes of Man City v Real Madrid in the CL.

If people who have no affinity to those clubs constantly talk about how good those European games are it'll just give even more incentive to the powerful clubs to reduce their workload in competitions they now deem financially worthless, such as the FA Cup.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm

Quite apart from anything else, the new format for the Champions League means that there will be a 36-team division, playing 8 games each, with 24 qualifying for the knockout stages. That's 144 games to eliminate 12 teams. Nearly all those games will be meaningless - UEFA are getting excited that Batyern Munich may play Liverpool in the group stages, but so what? Both sides will be certain to qualify whatever the result. For that, they abolish FA Cup replays?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2981 times
Has Liked: 2079 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 pm
So bored of the PL & the moneymen systematically ruining our great game.
You forgot the foreigners too. Absolutely no sense of belonging whatsoever.

I'm off to watch non league.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm
You forgot the foreigners too. Absolutely no sense of belonging whatsoever.

I'm off to watch non league.
We've had some decent lads from a far that have worn the Claret shirt with pride - no qualms with them, the mercenaries are annoying but they're the result of the moneymen tampering with the game...

Think I'm about ready to join you with the non-league shout though 👍

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 am
Gone from next season in all rounds from the first round.

Final will be played on the penultimate Saturday of the Premier League season with no PL games to be played on the Friday or Saturday to give the final exclusivity.

No rounds will now be played in midweek.
I feel that now the bigger clubs should always play away.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2981 times
Has Liked: 2079 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 pm

Sorry, I wasn't referring to the players but to the very wealthy owners
with scant regard for our footballing heritage.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2477 times
Has Liked: 2016 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:35 pm

Simple solution.
If both clubs are agreed on no replay. Play the 1 match decided on the day.
If either club refuses go to the possibility of a replay. The big 6 shouldn’t need replays anyway unless they are playing another decent PL side.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 782 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:24 pm

Is there a chance we could form a break away league - just us and Sheffield Utd and Rovers?

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:25 pm

The simple solution is don't draw

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am

So it has taken a while but we now have potentially the most sensible writing on this issue that clearly outlines the process that led to the reformatting of the FA Cup - and wonder of wonders The EFL (representing their members and even the Football Supporters Association were part of the discussions

For those of you who don't know Martin Cloake is a long time Supporters campaigner and is well known and respected by our own CT

this is from the MMT - which I know not everyone reads
Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 am
Martin Cloake's latest blog on The Football Fan is a beacon of sensible discussion - more so when he uses his years of Supporters Trust and FSA knowledge and experience to denounce the absurd nature of some of the responses to the FA Cup changes announced last week - too many people who know and knew better were trying to create their own mew truth to a situation that was well known and documented

The Great FA Cup Replays Controversy of 2024
The furore over the abolition of FA Cup replays has led to an awful lot of nonsense being talked.

https://martincloake.substack.com/p/the ... ontroversy
https://archive.ph/wz3eZ