Taffy

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
lewishamclaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Re: Taffy

Post by lewishamclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:14 am

Loved watching Taffy as a kid. He just seemed to hold the ring and make things happen. I have fond memories of my own dad, who sadly passed away in the late 80s, doing impressions of his distinctive lollop (and it was a bit more of a lollop as the years passed) down the wing. My Swansea supporting mate agrees he was one of the best players of his era. RIP Taffy.

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 am

Finding it heartwarming that for so many on here,like myself, he was their all-time favourite Claret. Wonder if he realised just how popular he was.

ecc
Been Liked: 1444 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Re: Leighton James

Post by ecc » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:51 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 pm
I am pleased to say that you have just misunderstood. I had not noticed the connection, so my sincerest of apologies for that -particularly at this time. I feel very bad about additional upset for you.

The intention was to nip in the bud 2 threads. The one was attracting very positive comments and I was trying to keep the flow going. Doesn't make me less of an idiot for not checking the poster!
Sorry doesn't cut it. But sorry I am.

Up the Clarets and my sincerest condolences for losing your sad- our hero.

Ian
Ian: I think we all knew you meant absolutely no disrespect whilst we also can see how the comment was interpretated by Leighton's daughter.

If I may say so, your message clearly comes from the heart and I fear you will have suffered anguish from this misunderstanding.

You are a respectful person and a longtime poster on CM/UTC. We know you meant no illwill.
These 3 users liked this post: IanMcL Middle-agedClaret Darnhill Claret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6397 times
Has Liked: 8756 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:18 pm

Appreciated ECC.

It is the last thing any of us would do.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32577 times
Has Liked: 5288 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 am

I've just read that three weeks ago he was able to go to the Swansea v QPR game.

His former team mate Alan Curtis said of him: "Leighton was a wonderful player and certainly one of the best players I have ever played with and one of our greatest players to have played for the Swans.

“He was naturally two-footed, which meant he was a nightmare for defenders to play against. He could cut in from either wing and shoot with his right or left foot. The famous goal he scored against Preston was a classic example of what he could do.

“Leighton didn’t suffer fools gladly and he didn’t hold back if he had something to say, and yet he was a great teammate and would go out of his way to help anyone.

“He came to the recent game against QPR and he loved the attention he received and deserved. A few of the players he played with were there and were so grateful that we saw him that last time. He was a great player and we will all miss him greatly.”
These 4 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret beddie Aclaret IanMcL

ecc
Been Liked: 1444 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:43 pm

Not sure if already posted but this is infamous "discussion" between Leighton and Robbie Savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRXvw4PeEYg
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32577 times
Has Liked: 5288 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 02, 2024 4:53 pm

I'm told that Taffy's funeral will be held in Swansea on Friday, 17th May.

I'm still stunned that he's no longer with us.
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor