The Keirby

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Re: The Keirby

Post by Bullabill » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:07 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:56 am
We got some well healed and well known guests at times, ...............
Had they all been poorly?
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Post by turbo5 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 am

Anyone with a second property even if only for a short period of time, (inheritance etc) soon realise that council tax is soon applied when left empty also any prolonged periods see it raise substantially if left for longer periods, think it doubles.
Do commercial properties have the same charging structures, to prevent unsightly properties being left for long periods falling into states of disrepair. Remember the Plane Tree pub ? the Mitre ! The Derby pub ! We have a massive structure in the town centre a highly visible town landmark stuck in the middle of a new development (town to turf) and its still making the area look deprived and run down anyone coming into town sees this monstrosity it portrays Burnley in a bad way .
Most probably the Landlord is holding on for some over priced offer, a compulsory purchase etc . basically a ransom strip approach . the scruffier and more run down the better until the council or someone wants it removed.
They should be laws which prevent run down and boarded up properties being left , with time restraints or a set visual criteria that the property must meet. Could easily be flattened and made into a carpark or a big town square. Double business rates after 12 months, triple after 3 years etc encourage the absent landlord to leave and sell up .
This user liked this post: MeeActon1

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2702 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 am

Bit authoritarian there turbs...and selective...if everyone owning a beaten up sh1thole was ordered to pull it down , Burnley would resemble 1945 Stalingrad.
This user liked this post: turbo5

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 578 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 am

turbo5 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 am

We have a massive structure in the town centre a highly visible town landmark stuck in the middle of a new development (town to turf) and its still making the area look deprived and run down anyone coming into town sees this monstrosity it portrays Burnley in a bad way .
This is why Halifax council developed the area where the grim Netto supermarket and surrounding eyesores were located. It was the first thing everyone saw when coming into Halifax from the east.

I also agree with the rest of your post. There has to be punitive charges when buildings inside the inner ring road are left abandoned for more than two years.

RMutt
Been Liked: 375 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:16 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 am
Bit authoritarian there turbs...and selective...if everyone owning a beaten up sh1thole was ordered to pull it down , Burnley would resemble 1945 Stalingrad.
I do have some sympathy with his view. Although I’m not sure how cashed strapped councils can compulsory purchase.
I think the low price of properties in some northern towns has led to speculative land/building banking by people who don’t necessarily live in those towns. Often they are semi derelict and stay that way for years.These buildings blight town centres and perhaps put off people who genuinely might want to invest in them. Bacup town centre is a classic case with several such buildings ruining what should be a great little centre.

Baliclaret
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Baliclaret » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 pm

On "emigrating " to Hampshire in 1982, I registered with a local dentist named Kierby. Having established I was from Burnley, he informed me his family had owned the main hotel in the town. A surprise for me then, and I'm sure a surprise for him if he saw the building now.